As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transformers- IDW Reboot Zone

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Comixology has All Hail Megatron Vol 1, More than Meets the Eye Vol 1, and Robots in Disguise Vol 1 on sale for 50% ish off for those who are interested.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    IDW stuff including transformers is getting some pretty big sales at comixology currently.

• Options
    IDW stuff including transformers is getting some pretty big sales at comixology currently.

Cool thanks for the head's up!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I have Last Stand of the Wreckers (if that is what it is called). What do you suggest for someone new to the TF comics? Basically, what should I grab in the Comixology sale without having any other TF comics.

edit: AKA should I just grab what was mentioned above? Ha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Buy More Than Meets the Eye, Volumes Everything.

I mean, if you want to be cautious or whatever, buy the first volume or two.

But seriously MTMTE is SO GOOD. It's won awards and stuff.

• Options
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I have Last Stand of the Wreckers (if that is what it is called). What do you suggest for someone new to the TF comics? Basically, what should I grab in the Comixology sale without having any other TF comics.

I think the starting out point was Death of Optimus Prime then the first More than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise since they both stream off of that comic.

If you remember the original Marvel series and want to see the "end" of that there is the Regeneration One series.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

well sins of the wreckers has started ("sequel" to last stand)

more than meets the eye is very popular. i personally like a lot robots in disguise (which it is no longer called thanks to the show) but is isn't as popular.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

well sins of the wreckers has started ("sequel" to last stand)

more than meets the eye is very popular. i personally like a lot robots in disguise (which it is no longer called thanks to the show) but is isn't as popular.

For the uninitiated, RiD is about politics on Cybertron, and it sometimes erupts into war. Starscream's one of the central characters. Prowl is a dick.

MtME is about a crew of nutjobs, lead by Rodimus Prime, on a Quest in deep space to restore Cybertron. However, they are constantly waylaid by jackassery.

• Options
    RazmaRazma Registered User regular
    I would agree that MtME is awesome, I've dropped RiD since a crossover event since to me it got kinda dull and repetitive. I did enjoy most of it but there's only so much 'Prowl is a dick' that I can take.

The stories in MtME are more fun involving a lot of shenanigans as the nature of the story allows them more room to do crazy stuff and also focus more on Tranformers generally not seen as much (to me anyway). The characters are so good and the series goes from gloriously funny to heart wrenching on a regular basis. The writer co-wrote Last Stand of the Wreckers so that gives you an idea of what to expect from the quality.

Basically James Roberts is awesome.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I just grabbed Transformers Choas Theory as it's supposed to be tied into the story later in MTMTE

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Isn't that just the big crossover arc from a while back or is it going to be a thing again in the future? There's been references and callbacks but I think that's all dealt with for now.

Is there anything before MtME/RiD or any of the spinoffs that's must read beyond Last Stand of the Wreckers?

• Options
    To be honest I have enjoyed all of the "new" transformers stuff. By that I mean I have not read regeneration one, or stuff like the comic that follows the show. Since the fall of chbertron stuff is on sale I might pick that up but I am still wrestling with the idea of buying stuff digitally that I already have in print.

If I had i pick one a lot of the spotlight stories are really good. Kup's comes to mind specifically.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I've found that all of the IDW Transformers stuff has been fantastic. The storylines (while there are always some stinkers here and there) are surprisingly nuanced and have great moments.

The whole storyline of Optimus putting down the "leader" role and making his own way in galaxy...invariably to be put back into that role over and over again. (damnit, Orion! Just be the boss! You know that the 'bots need a Prime...just be the damn Prime!)

Starscream, motherfucking Starscream, finally gets what he's been craving this whole time. Leadership over Cybertron...and it's Legit!

The backstory of Megatron, his history and friendship with Prime, all those flashbacks I always found very intriguing.

Everything that happens on the Lost Light is ridiculous and awesome at the same time. Ultra Magnus is always great and Cyclonus is now one of my favorite bots.

This thread, a few years ago, made me aware of the Transformers comics and its been fun reading ever since!

• Options
    You didn't even mention Brainstorm, the best character on the Lost Light!

But you're right about Megatron. That certain conversation he has with Optimus in Volume 7 is just... So good.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I grabbed All Hail Megatron vol 1 and More Than Meets The Eye vol 1-2. Now to actually read them...

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    "The cannon arm, it was always the cannon arm..."

• Options
    I grabbed All Hail Megatron vol 1 and More Than Meets The Eye vol 1-2. Now to actually read them...

I liked the AHM series, but yeah I have to agree that IDW has done a great job with the series. There were some points where I got confused (especially when they got MTMtE and RiD together) which led me to putting down the series to wait till they all fleshed out so I can read them in one sitting/sequence. The only thing that bugs me is that I picked up a bunch of these as individual comics so now I get the fun job of trying to figure out which volume I need to pick up (plus got a bunch from Humble Bundle which adds into my confusion).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The self contained stuff I have really enjoyed. For example the "Christmas special" with its 3 stories was awesome. Even my wife loved them.

• Options
    So I just bought and read the Combiner Wars one and Windblade comic collections that were on sale from Comixology. Now I understand how almost every toy now is a combiner and was glad that Optimus Prime is growing a pair of balls again. Plus was nice to see Prowl not being such a jerk like he has been throughout the series. The one complaint I have with the comics are the changes of artists and styles in the Combiner Wars series. Guessing it is actually a cross comic collection? Or did IDW do one of those, "we'll have everybody work on this arc" moments?

So what issues are the Christmas Special?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    You didn't even mention Brainstorm, the best character on the Lost Light!

"Rodimus? It's me. Ship's genius.

What? No, not Perceptor, it's -wait-

-Highbrow? No! It's -look- just

It's Brainstorm, okay? Brainstorm. Geez."

• Options
    @Betsuni they are actually called "transformers: holiday special #1" or at least that's what comixology lists them as for me.

• Options
    Oooh ok, I'll go look for them then.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Has anyone read mtme #50 yet? I typically wait to get things until the month after when the price goes down. However I am anxious to read the next issue, but I noticed the title is "part 1". My question is, is it actually a 2 parter? I would rather wait until next month and get both parts at the same time if that is the case.

• Options
    It's going to be more than a 2 parter, this will probably be closer to 5 issues like the Remain in Light arc. The issue itself has 2 stories in it, one of which is the first part of the core arc and the other a 10 page long side story which ties into it.

• Options
    I did not realize it was a larger multiparter. Transformers is my first "real" foray into comics and even then I came in partway so I am finally at the point of waiting on the next issue. I guess I will hold off for a few months and then pick everything up. I was not sure going in if issue 50 was the big culmination (as opposed to it spread out across a few issues as it currently is).

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Finally got around to finish reading chaos theory. Man that was good. Almost tempted to continue with series until the end, but I think it'd be best to stop there and just stick the the current books.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    went and picked up mtme #50
    hopefully spoiler tags are working...i am pretty sure they are?

i am not really sure what the time "pockets" 2nd half of the issue is about? the first half was probably a long time coming, although i think getaway is just running another scam and although the megatron part may be legitimate the rest is just icing for him i think. did i miss something that triggered the 2nd part though? not really sure why there was such a sharp divide.

spoiler tags are working for me at the moment...

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Just caught up on both Transformers and MTMTE....

Does anyone else want Megs to have his cannon back right now?

250px-MTMTE12_magnus_in_action.jpg.

I remember when Tailgate was impressed with Ultra Magnus' asskicking abilities. I hope he is suitably impressed by Megatron too!

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    "Remember when you said that Ultra Magnus is really good at fighting?"
    "Yeah."
    "Ultra Magnus is really good at fighting."

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Anybody happen to know what's going on with Sins of the Wreckers? Kind of a bit of a two month+ delay there.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    I recall the delay being intentional, but I don't know the reason why.

• Options
    It was said in Jan by the writer that #4 was going to be delayed due to family reasons I think. The issue is planned to be out in April.

Been rereading MtMtE and need to ask is Tarn a Phase Sixer or is he just naturally on a level above the other Point One Percenters? Prowl in an earlier issue put him on the same level as the other three but I've not seen anything to confirm Tarn was one himself.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Razma wrote: »
    Been rereading MtMtE and need to ask is Tarn a Phase Sixer or is he just naturally on a level above the other Point One Percenters? Prowl in an earlier issue put him on the same level as the other three but I've not seen anything to confirm Tarn was one himself.

I don't think he's a Phase Sixer, because that's a specific role having to do with the infiltration protocol, not necessarily the 'con's power level. And I don't think he's naturally that powerful -- part of it is that he might have been upgraded, and part of it is the DJD secret. It seems implied that part of the DJD's remit is to take down rogue Phase Sixers, so presumably Megatron or whatever Decepticon leadership took measures to power them up (although it's not clear why, since he went to the trouble of implanting off switches in Sixshot and Overlord, as well a mental weak spot in Overlord; did he just not bother with Black Shadow? But Tarn implies it's not the first time the DJD's taken down a Phase Sixer, so eh).

Something that seems kind of handwavey to me is, if the Decepticons had these nigh-indestructible super-soldiers, how did they let the war go on so long, much less lose? Why didn't the Decepticons just send their Phase Sixers to assassinate Optimus and work their way down? Sixshot came pretty close on his own, and there's that one flashback scene of Black Shadow happily taking on Optimus, Magnus and like a thousand other Autobots. Metroplex > Sixshot, but he's generally not in the game.

• Options
    [not sure if this is a spoiler regarding tarn:
    supposedly tarn is an outlier due his ability to sing/talk people to death (literally)
    Orogogus wrote: »

I don't think he's a Phase Sixer, because that's a specific role having to do with the infiltration protocol, not necessarily the 'con's power level. And I don't think he's naturally that powerful -- part of it is that he might have been upgraded, and part of it is the DJD secret. It seems implied that part of the DJD's remit is to take down rogue Phase Sixers, so presumably Megatron or whatever Decepticon leadership took measures to power them up (although it's not clear why, since he went to the trouble of implanting off switches in Sixshot and Overlord, as well a mental weak spot in Overlord; did he just not bother with Black Shadow? But Tarn implies it's not the first time the DJD's taken down a Phase Sixer, so eh).

Something that seems kind of handwavey to me is, if the Decepticons had these nigh-indestructible super-soldiers, how did they let the war go on so long, much less lose? Why didn't the Decepticons just send their Phase Sixers to assassinate Optimus and work their way down? Sixshot came pretty close on his own, and there's that one flashback scene of Black Shadow happily taking on Optimus, Magnus and like a thousand other Autobots. Metroplex > Sixshot, but he's generally not in the game.

i think there were ever only 3 phase-sixers (sixshot, black shadow, overlord) and although incredibly powerful they weren't/aren't indestructible (although i could be wrong about the number, i am worknig my way through some of the spotlights etc). additionally overlord went awol, plus they can't be everywhere at once. the whole subterfuge plan i assume was in response to non-cybertronian threats plus the extensive resources involved in having open warfare rage across dozens of worlds simultaneously. plus i think it is implied megatron was as tough or tougher than a phase-sixer and so if megatron and optimus go toe-to-toe "frequently" i don't know if overlord/sixshot/black shadow could take him 1-on-1 consistently or how exactly that would go down.

• Options
    My understanding of Tarn's power (along with the rest of the DJD) is
    It's the Nuke or whatever it's called, the special and very rare energon from Messatine. We know that a single drop of enriched nucleon is enough to turn a hand gun into a banned gun, so soaking in what is presumably enriched nucleon on steroids probably does the same thing to your typical outlier.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    My understanding of Tarn's power (along with the rest of the DJD) is
    It's the Nuke or whatever it's called, the special and very rare energon from Messatine. We know that a single drop of enriched nucleon is enough to turn a hand gun into a banned gun, so soaking in what is presumably enriched nucleon on steroids probably does the same thing to your typical outlier.

i'd have to go back and reread that issue, but was that part of his normal routine?

• Options
    Yeah, I think so.
    I remember the DJD treating it like a normal thing for him. Nickel realized he was in there too long but the others didn't seem concerned.

• Options
    [not sure if this is a spoiler regarding tarn:
    supposedly tarn is an outlier due his ability to sing/talk people to death (literally)
    Orogogus wrote: »

i think there were ever only 3 phase-sixers (sixshot, black shadow, overlord) and although incredibly powerful they weren't/aren't indestructible (although i could be wrong about the number, i am worknig my way through some of the spotlights etc). additionally overlord went awol, plus they can't be everywhere at once. the whole subterfuge plan i assume was in response to non-cybertronian threats plus the extensive resources involved in having open warfare rage across dozens of worlds simultaneously. plus i think it is implied megatron was as tough or tougher than a phase-sixer and so if megatron and optimus go toe-to-toe "frequently" i don't know if overlord/sixshot/black shadow could take him 1-on-1 consistently or how exactly that would go down.

I think Megatron was shown to be tougher than Overlord prior to the ununtrium bonding process, but not afterwards. During the process he had Overlord installed with the kill switch and mental weak spot to keep him under control. Overlord was trying to bait Megatron into attacking him in Last Stand of the Wreckers, but with the DJD now established in the storyline it seems more like their job than Megatron's.

In the flashback I mentioned, apparently Black Shadow killed 3,003 Autobots while trouncing Optimus and Magnus and fighting off the Autobots' 113th Battalion. If they're so unstoppable, what were they doing during the war?

• Options
    edited April 2016
    i would think they are still a single soldier and the war takes place over multiple worlds is the excuse. that or the ships they used could deal with them. i agree that it is kinda silly otherwise.

what book was that flashback in? now i kinda remember seeing that, but i dunno where.

i sort remember something being mentioned somewhere as to why the phase sixers didnt just roll over the opposition, but i can't recall. i keep meaning to reread everything from the beginning...but the idea is daunting.

edit: i am assuming the real reason is the shift from the "-tion" stories to the more modern ones.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    what book was that flashback in? now i kinda remember seeing that, but i dunno where.
    It's the one where the DJD executes Black Shadow, introducing his accomplishments. TFWiki says it's MTMtE #7.