As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transformers- IDW Reboot Zone

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    oh wow, that was a lot longer ago than i thought it was.

• Options
    Just read mtme #51 and holy shit. I really love the transformers comics.

• Options
    RazmaRazma Registered User regular
    You'll be happy to know that #52 was released yesterday as well as Sins of the Wreckers #4.

MTME #52
    Didn't think it could get any more stacked but now we have Overlord at the party. Good to see someone who can legit give Tarn an even fight although he's becoming pretty unhinged now.

Unsure how they're getting out of this one at this point, only things I can think of are the LL crew doing a 180 on the whole mutiny thing if it was revealed that they were not told by Getaway that they left Team Rodimus to the DJD or the Cybertronians with the gear symbols show up to save the pods.

Tarn identity theory
    Thought this a few weeks back when I did my full series readthrough since there's a lot clues through the series but I assume that Tarns true identity will be revealed as Roller right? Megatron saying he made Tarn who he is in order to hurt someone can only mean Optimus and Roller is the only major 'where did he go?' character in the series I think.

• Options
    I was very tempted to get them immediately after reading #51 yesterday but I am waiting until next month when they drop in price

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    MTMTE 52
    Well...I guess I will continue to be dissapointed because Megs did not kick Tarn's ass three ways from Sunday. Instead he let himself get beat down to prove that he has indeed turned over a new leaf. Well....I can respect that too. I don't remember too much about this Fool's Energon business, but I am hoping in the next issue or two it will be revealed that its was a placebo this whole time! And that Megatron will be still be on board with his new lifestyle but will once again be able to kick ass and take names.

I also remember nothing about Roller, but the TF wiki tells me about him....and I guess if that [is] who Tarn used to me (hell if I know...) then Rachet will be the one to carry the dramatic load of the reveal, I suppose. Which robs Roller's betrayal of some weight too if Prime is not even there to resolve it.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Razma wrote: »
    Tarn identity theory
    Thought this a few weeks back when I did my full series readthrough since there's a lot clues through the series but I assume that Tarns true identity will be revealed as Roller right? Megatron saying he made Tarn who he is in order to hurt someone can only mean Optimus and Roller is the only major 'where did he go?' character in the series I think.
    Dominus Ambus is also a major missing character, one whose mysterious status was flagged in this issue. I think it's Roller -- the wiki makes a strong case -- but Megatron didn't say he was trying to hurt Prime. On the other hand, there's no reason to think he'd go out of his way to hurt Rewind, or that he knew about Magnus's relationship to Dominus.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    #52 know I am late to the party
    I recall seeing theories that tarn is roller for a long time now. However other than roller's .1% spark and his mysterious disappearance I don't know what else led them to that conclusion before this.

I don't know how I feel about overlord being back. I'll have to go back and reread the issues where he is revealed and "killed" because I recall the djd beheading him, but not what happens to the "real" overlord on LL1.

Deathsaurus is likely to defect I think. seeing how tarn is losin it, and how overlord is playing tarn should set him off. he specificly told tarn to kill the rest of the djd when he was asked to join, and only did when tarn said no. similarly nickel seemed appalled by what he did to kaon.

Outside of that I am sorry of expecting they find some crazy weapon that will deal with overlord. Possibly using the teleporter to send him to the end of creation or something and then coerce tarn into surrendering and then either someone backstabs him or ney leave him to rot on the necrobot planet.

Although I guess this sorr of answers the question someone here posed about phase sixers, .1% ers, and Megatron. However it doesn't really resolve why during the infiltration protocols phase 6ers werent just used to decimate the Autobots. Not really the purpose of this issue but more world building. My only assumption is that they are just exceptionally powerful was weapons that if not uprepared for are that devastating. However against prepared enemies they have a harder time? I dunno it is mentioned several times they are strong enough to destroy entire planets on their own presumably with resistance and it is unlikely they can just blitz everyone before anyone can respond.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Figure most of us here have them already, but Comixology has the first volumes of Classics, RiD, MtMtE, Regeneration One, Dark Cyberton, Angry Birds Transformers, and the new Robots in Disguise on sale for 50% off.

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=11561&lang=1

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Do we know when the next tpb of Transformers/ GI Joe is coming out?

• Options
    http://www.idwpublishing.com/product/transformers-vs-g-joe-vol-3/

August this is if this is what you're referring to.

Sins of the Wreckers #5 appears to be confirmed for the 22nd. MTMTE #54 should be out then as well so pretty big week.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yes
    That's it

Awesome

• Options
    I just read the preview for MTMTE 54...

Ultra Magnus got an upgrade (temporary, I assume, but still) and he's huge now, right? So the big fight finally starts and Swerve and Rewind are sitting in these gun turrets blasting away...on Magnus' shoulders.

Fantastic.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Major issue 54 spoilers
    Skids, no! Ravage, no! Megatron, no! Also holy shit, Chromedome sending Overlord flying with a punch.

• Options
    looks like sins of the wreckers got delayed again, this time to next week. as far as i have seen no one has any idea what's going on as to why the delays keep happening

Mtmte #54 spoilers
    I'm usually a month behind so I just picked up 53, but i decided to get 54 and i wish i had waited. the cliffhangers are old, and it annoyed me this time around. it is silly, but instead of "i'm so excited to find out what happens" it feels like "ffs just tell me what happens already". i was hoping this would resolve everything and then there would be a cleanup in the next issue since ROM shows up (based on the cover art)? not exactly concrete evidence, but i am not sure how that whole giant crossover stuff is going to impact things and i am a little concerned about resolving everything prior to that.

maybe i should just go back to waiting for the collected volumes because the month to month stuff is frustrating. the problem there is i end up reading the entire thing in an afternoon or less and then it is wait 6+ months

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I gotta say... Megs getting out there again and kicking ass what something I really, really wanted to see... but I was let down a bit. I guess I wanted MORE ass kicked before the drama took over again?

And Skids! This one seems permanent? I wanted to know the gory details (there was more than the incinerator, right? Something else he was blocking? something worse?) before he went out though...

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    mtme #54 in response to @Steelhawk

i am hoping it is a ruse by megatron and he was doing it to draw them in, but i am not sure. i kinda doubt it since he was so busted up after tarn laying into him that i am not sure he has the physical strength to really fight at this point. sure ratchet repaired him but i assume (maybe incorrectly) that it takes time to heal, or at least more time than they have, even for transformers.

as for skids, i don't know if there was more than the incinerator. i mean that entire thing is pretty messed up. i don't know if there needs to be something else to set him off besides that. however it did seem as though there was more and i wouldn't be surprised if there was more unless skids escaped immediately following.

• Options

i am hoping it is a ruse by megatron and he was doing it to draw them in, but i am not sure. i kinda doubt it since he was so busted up after tarn laying into him that i am not sure he has the physical strength to really fight at this point. sure ratchet repaired him but i assume (maybe incorrectly) that it takes time to heal, or at least more time than they have, even for transformers.

as for skids, i don't know if there was more than the incinerator. i mean that entire thing is pretty messed up. i don't know if there needs to be something else to set him off besides that. however it did seem as though there was more and i wouldn't be surprised if there was more unless skids escaped immediately following.
    I'm going to lean towards some sort of save for Megatron. His speech about not stopping if he lets himself loose, followed by his seeming loss of the will to fight after losing his fusion cannon seems either like shitty writing OR a peek into how much Megs actually has renounced violence. Like he's not even good at it anymore. A save by Magnus, maybe? He wasn't in the shot of the bots who returned to the fortress was he?

Re: Skids....I don't remember. The story we got about the incinerator... was that Skids telling the story to Rung? Or Chromedome peeking into his noggin and keeping his mouth shut?

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »

I'm going to lean towards some sort of save for Megatron. His speech about not stopping if he lets himself loose, followed by his seeming loss of the will to fight after losing his fusion cannon seems either like shitty writing OR a peek into how much Megs actually has renounced violence. Like he's not even good at it anymore. A save by Magnus, maybe? He wasn't in the shot of the bots who returned to the fortress was he?

Re: Skids....I don't remember. The story we got about the incinerator... was that Skids telling the story to Rung? Or Chromedome peeking into his noggin and keeping his mouth shut?

i think the blasts at the end are going to be deathsaurus or the remainder of the DJD or both. that or nightbeat and rung show up with something to save the day. since there are 3 blasts i could see 2 disarming tarn's double-fusion cannon and overlord's gun. if it is the former i am torn between whether it is more likely that it is disabling their weapons or killing them. possibly disabling as they have some sort of hand to have combat scenario or just a full mutiny by deathsaurus and nickel

as for the incinerator i think that was rung having him recall stuff in one of the therapy sessions. i gotta go back and look but i am pretty sure that was it since i recall chromedome offering at some point to just jog his memory via surgery and rewind flips out?

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Re: Incinerator
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    That was from the evil mnemosurgeon/serial killer feasting on Skids' guilt, wasn't it? But I think the last part with the actual incineration was revealed only to the audience, since they were able to stop the mnemosurgeon before he got to that part.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    MTMTE #54
    Sleep tight, soldier. :(

Forgetting my annoyance at the cliffhanger ending the issue was still packed with so much good stuff. Chromedome beasting Overlord. Megs' brief comeback (loved the how his Fusion Cannon shot orange beams). Ultra Magnus' new armor having fucking turret emplacements in his shoulders for the smaller bots. Tailgate with the hero banter.

Don't see Ravage or Megs being killed off with how the issue ended. The SFX for the shots were in orange/red which suggests that it's not Tarn and Overlord shooting. Also most of the crew are unaccounted for at the end of the so maybe some of them make the save?

Can possibly see Deathsaurus having a change of heart after seeing Tarn's shitty attitude the past couple of issues (and Megs being all self-sacrificial for others) to help put an end to this as well.

MTMTE #55 Cover
    Dunno if this should be spoilered but the ROM cover for this is just a variant I think, it's just a promotional thing.

Skids Memory/Incinerator Discussion
    Chromedome knew the truth since he read him really early in the series but told him that some things should stay buried or something to that effect. Skids was starting to remember the event again on his own with Rungs help during the evil mnemosurgeon arc but details like names and what he did were still a blank for him. Helping Tarn and the consequences of doing so was only shown to us in the end.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Reread sins of the wreckers today
    I am still not sure how I feel about it. I rank lsotw above it but I don't know if anything will beat that book for me. The story makes much more sense when I could read it straight through. Although there are a couple of things that don't quite add up to me at this point.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    I had not noticed this detail during my first read of sins #5

Ending spoilers
    There's an tiny, tiny spider in springer's wheel. I think my thumb literally covered it up the first time since I was reading on my phone and I am really bad at looking closely at the art anyway.

Still having some trouble with impactor joining mayhem. Just seems out of place given how hard he was trying to get away from the violence. watching more friends die, and even killing some. Especially in the latter case, prowl would seem to be a major target for mayhem, I guess he wanted to save kup and in doing so saved prowl. That being said why let him go at that point? Just out of respect for springer's sacrifice or the mission?

• Options
    Sins of the Wreckers #5
    I was unsure of what to make of the Impactor joining Mayhem as well. I got the suggestion that Prowl would be the target but he had ample opportunity to discredit or take him down beforehand. That along with the tease that Tarantulus is still alive suggests that a third Wreckers story might be in the works so imagine it'll be explained more then.

Now that I've read the entire thing start to finish I enjoyed it a whole lot more than reading it on a month-to-month basis. Doesn't reach the heights or overall quality of Last Stand but it's a different kinda sort of story and on it's own is really enjoyable. Kinda wish Nick Roche was able to do more regular work, be nice to have something else to read alongside MTMTE.

• Options
    I agree that reading it month to month detracted from the story. After my read through in completion rather than just piecemeal I enjoyed it much more.

Honestly I kinda regret in general getting into the issue to issue cycle for any of the series. After dying of the light finished up I might go back to just doing trades/collections again. I want to read everything all over again from the beginning so I figure that'll make me a decade or so given how much time I've had to read stuff lately so by then I'll have plenty of new stuff!

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    How spoilery is that preview? I typically don't read them.

55 is coming out this week right?

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Check here for a single spoiler-free page with the only panels of interest.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    I am really confused since I have not read this series regularly past the Dark Cybertron arc. I did pick up a Combiner Wars (http://www.idwpublishing.com/product/transformers-combiner-wars/) a while ago to understand where these new toys were coming from along with something about Windblade (again to figure out the toy). Which probably did not help any. So where are we in the comics universe that I need to catch up? Are MtMtE and RiD still going on? Or are there new series I need to read now?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Rid is no longer robots in disguise (the new show took that name), and I believe it became just "the transformers". The new series is called till all are one but I don't know whether that is the continuation of "rid" starting at 1 again or what. My understanding is mtmte will continue to "season 3" but both that and till all are one get reset after the big world combining crossover (I think?)

I think both series are still great so it depends on what kind of story you want

• Options
    Ah ok. Was wondering why there is this new Transformers line and no more RiD (well not the one I was used to).

I really enjoyed the series up to the Cybertron combination. Their splitting the story between them slightly confused me till I just waited and bought them to read in one sitting. Thanks for the clarification since the Internet was not helping me any. I'll have to go and see what I'm missing and hopefully they'll go on sale so I can catch up.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    MTMTE #55 is next week (27th). Be careful of previews since the spoilers are pretty big.

Dunno how RiD is these days since I dropped it at the start of Combiner Wars but I'd recommend MTMTE all day. IDW has used the below visual guide to show how the various series go with each other which may help.

Transformers Reading Guide (Big image)

• Options
    MTMTE #55 is next week (27th). Be careful of previews since the spoilers are pretty big.

Dunno how RiD is these days since I dropped it at the start of Combiner Wars but I'd recommend MTMTE all day. IDW has used the below visual guide to show how the various series go with each other which may help.

Oh thank you! That saves my butt and now I can consider being selective.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

i knew and then forgot about that graphic. there was one for the "old" timeline correct? as in the stuff prior to death of optimus prime?

also that's really unfortunate about mtme, for some reason i had the 2nd stuck in my head, then i realized that wasn't a wednesday and had the sneaking suspicion that it was next week. i posted with the hope someone would tel me it was this week anyway :(

• Options
    Mtmte #55 today

I ended up devouring it so I'll need to go back and read it more closely. Thoughts in the spoiler
    Lots of reveals so double spoilee
    Obviously the time case was going to come back but I hate time travel stuff. It bothered me in the Megatron origin stuff and it irks me now. The causality being so fuzzy bothers me.

I can't believe ravage went down. I mean I can but it still is crushing. Way more to me than with skids. The cutaway to sound wave was big too. I do wonder whether ravage meant never change back to an autobot or never change back to a deception. I am going with the latter as I want to believe he saw the revelations Megatron had and realized what he had become both as a tyrant and in turning away from it.

I like the bluff Megatron pulled to get tarn, and ideally overlord too but you can't have everything. I do wonder if overlord is 100℅ after his reconstruction. I'd imagine his benefactors wouldnt reconstruct someone that dangerous without some fail-safes.

Initially I thought Megatron was insulting tarn by calling him Glitch. I vaguely recall "spawn of a glitch" being a transformers insult, and I thought it originated from idw. Then tfwiki to the rescue because Glitch was an outlier I forgot about. In retrospect (like a lot of mtmte things) it makes sense. However who was Megatron trying to get st by "converting" Glitch/Damus? He mentioned in issue 53 (52? Can't remember) in their conversation that he turned him to sort of twist the knife. I guess prime since they were all outliers together?

The overlord benefactor reveal felt a little unnecessary, not sure how I feel about it entirely.

Dunno wtf to make of the rung and nightbeat stuff.

• Options
    MTMTE #55
    Time Travel
    I do hope this is the last of time travel we see for a while even though it was used quite well for some things. The Megatron origin story worked as a one off time travel adventure but its use here was a lil jarring with how convenient at how it was possible (good thing Megs left the case there). But looking forward to seeing Roller and Terminus in the series now.

Ravage
    I thought he was in the clear last issue so the death actually was surprising. The Soundwave stuff was a lovely touch. It was a little ambiguous at what Ravage was referring to but I assume since Tarns Decepticon mask was the main focus in the panel he was was meaning not going back to being a Decepticon. Ravage accepting Megatrons decision of changing himself has been a big part of his story so the reverse would've been weird.

Overlord and his benefactors
    Imagine he has a killswitch or something similar, he's way too powerful to just let him go free and expect it to be ok considering his history. I'm fine with the whole plot with who he's teamed up with but now we'll go back to teasing a future Megs v Overlord showdown probably. The whole federation being undermined by Megatron helping organics was a nice bit of acknowledgment that his actions recently have been noticed.

Also it shows that Getaway wasn't a complete monster, he never knew that the DJD or Overlord was going to be involved and only Megs was to be taken out. Still a dick move but they've toned it back to what we've thought the past 5-6 issues. It was something that didn't add up to me, I couldn't see the likes of Thunderclash being ok with sending Autobots to be at the mercy of the DJD.

Tarn
    Very happy that even though the Roller stuff fits that it was shown he was just a minor character in the end, the hints were very nicely placed looking back on past issues. Megatron's casual disarming and comment of his dual Fusion Cannon got a laugh from me. I'm still unsure at who Megatron was hurting at turning him into Tarn, he was part of Optimus' outliers but there wasn't anything to suggest he was important to him.

Nightbeat/Rung
    Was kinda the last thing I was expecting. Discovering the origin of your home planet then getting a geobomb in the face. They're not getting out of this one right?

• Options
    MTMTE #55
    Time Travel
    I do hope this is the last of time travel we see for a while even though it was used quite well for some things. The Megatron origin story worked as a one off time travel adventure but its use here was a lil jarring with how convenient at how it was possible (good thing Megs left the case there). But looking forward to seeing Roller and Terminus in the series now.

Ravage
    I thought he was in the clear last issue so the death actually was surprising. The Soundwave stuff was a lovely touch. It was a little ambiguous at what Ravage was referring to but I assume since Tarns Decepticon mask was the main focus in the panel he was was meaning not going back to being a Decepticon. Ravage accepting Megatrons decision of changing himself has been a big part of his story so the reverse would've been weird.

Overlord and his benefactors
    Imagine he has a killswitch or something similar, he's way too powerful to just let him go free and expect it to be ok considering his history. I'm fine with the whole plot with who he's teamed up with but now we'll go back to teasing a future Megs v Overlord showdown probably. The whole federation being undermined by Megatron helping organics was a nice bit of acknowledgment that his actions recently have been noticed.

Also it shows that Getaway wasn't a complete monster, he never knew that the DJD or Overlord was going to be involved and only Megs was to be taken out. Still a dick move but they've toned it back to what we've thought the past 5-6 issues. It was something that didn't add up to me, I couldn't see the likes of Thunderclash being ok with sending Autobots to be at the mercy of the DJD.

Tarn
    Very happy that even though the Roller stuff fits that it was shown he was just a minor character in the end, the hints were very nicely placed looking back on past issues. Megatron's casual disarming and comment of his dual Fusion Cannon got a laugh from me. I'm still unsure at who Megatron was hurting at turning him into Tarn, he was part of Optimus' outliers but there wasn't anything to suggest he was important to him.

Nightbeat/Rung
    Was kinda the last thing I was expecting. Discovering the origin of your home planet then getting a geobomb in the face. They're not getting out of this one right?
    Starting from the bottom

Nightbeat/rung
    I can only assume it isn't a geobomb. Otherwise it is going to take out the rest of the lost light crew as well right? I doubt they would throw everyone away after all that.

Tarn
    I am sure tarn will show up in the future for flashbacks. So maybe 5 years from now we will find out who Megatron was trying to push with turning Glitch/Damus.

Ravage
    Allegedly on twitter it was stated that thr line was intended to be as ambiguous as possible.

Time travel
    I try to ignore all the time travel stuff since it bothers me so much. It reoccurring sapped a lot of excitement I had which is unfortunate. I am fine with the tarn reveal and how the "season" has gone in general, which seems to be contrary to popular opinion. But the time related stuff just hurts the whole a lot.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Okay, so I just started reading Robots in Disguise seeing as how most of it was on the unlimited comixology service and found it pretty good. I was a huge Transformers fan growing up, loved Beast Wars and even started colllecting the first IDW run of this way back when-but I'm a bit confused seeing as how there's another series that seems to have been running concurrently with it, More Than Meets the Eye? I see a lot of people talking about it in here and I kind of want some info on it if you could be so kind. Is it an alternate universe story, is it a concurrent story with Robots in Disguise, does it pick up after the events of it or something else? Seems a little confusing, especially seeing as how RiD jumps all over the place and is rather disjointed. Fun, but disjointed.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »
    Okay, so I just started reading Robots in Disguise seeing as how most of it was on the unlimited comixology service and found it pretty good. I was a huge Transformers fan growing up, loved Beast Wars and even started colllecting the first IDW run of this way back when-but I'm a bit confused seeing as how there's another series that seems to have been running concurrently with it, More Than Meets the Eye? I see a lot of people talking about it in here and I kind of want some info on it if you could be so kind. Is it an alternate universe story, is it a concurrent story with Robots in Disguise, does it pick up after the events of it or something else? Seems a little confusing, especially seeing as how RiD jumps all over the place and is rather disjointed. Fun, but disjointed.

It takes place at the same time as RID. The heart of the story is Rodimus, Drift, Ultra Magnus, Ratchet, Brainstorm, Whirl, and a bunch of others on a ship called the Lost Light off searching for the Knights of Cybertron who they believe will restore Cybertron to its former glory. It's really great. If you like Transformers, or things that are great, you will enjoy MTMTE.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Terrendos wrote: »

It takes place at the same time as RID. The heart of the story is Rodimus, Drift, Ultra Magnus, Ratchet, Brainstorm, Whirl, and a bunch of others on a ship called the Lost Light off searching for the Knights of Cybertron who they believe will restore Cybertron to its former glory. It's really great. If you like Transformers, or things that are great, you will enjoy MTMTE.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh okay, so it's the concurrent story of what's happening in RiD at the beginning when they a group left on the Lost Light, then? Cool. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Question:
    Does Megatron eventually join them since it talks about him joining the crew of the Lost Light in RiD?

I guess I also could have just went up a few pages to see the reading guide, haha. My bad.

Crayon on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

Ohhhhhhhhhhh okay, so it's the concurrent story of what's happening in RiD at the beginning when they a group left on the Lost Light, then? Cool. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Question:
    Does Megatron eventually join them since it talks about him joining the crew of the Lost Light in RiD?

I guess I also could have just went up a few pages to see the reading guide, haha. My bad.

Pretty significant plot spoilers for MTMTE and Dark Cybertron, the crossover between RID and MTMTE from a couple years ago:
    Yes. Megatron appears to change sides and become an Autobot.