As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transformers- IDW Reboot Zone

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Just finished reading volume 10 of More than Meets the Eye.

I can't not love this book!

James Roberts needs to be chained to a desk so he can keep writing Transformers stories forever.

And I know it's been said before, but FUCK GETAWAY!
    Leaving a group of mostly innocent comrades to die just kill Megatron. Fuck that guy.

Where was Thunderclash during this coup? I feel he should have tried to stop it. And if not, then fuck that guy too. Fuck all the crew who thought leaving Team Rodimus at the mercy of the DJD.

Although it did seem like Getaway may have only thought it was the galactic council, whom he struck a deal with.

The reveal of Dominus Ambus was pretty shocking. Guy can't catch a break. Earlier when Remind was having memories of the alternate universe, he got turned into a screen headed propaganda machine, and now in canon universe he's been turned into a feral animal.

Nautica continues to be great. It was surprising to see her take part in the final battle though, but I guess when push comes to shove..

Speaking of which, wow, Megatron. I can't believe this series made me genuinely like Megatron. His struggles with baser instincts ever since joining the crew have been a blast. Seeing him finally kick ass was awesome. I do wonder whether or not he'll change back. On one hand Ravage's dying words and pointing the the Decepticon symbol should have pushed him to revert, on the other hand, Terminus is a reminder of the person he once was. The person he really is.

Going to work my way through the other Transformers books now.
    Getaway didn't know the DJD was involved, and I don't even think he knew that Overlord had been rescued by the Council either. The GC was just supposed to show up, arrest/kill Megatron and leave the rest of the Autobots alone.

Thunderclash helping him is a little weird, but remember the other half of the reason they dropped Rodimus' ass is because they felt he and his posse were a distraction in their quest. Getting justice against Megatron probably also weighed against his conscious.

i think that
    thunderclash going along with it is supposed to sell the idea that getaway truly didn't know, or i guess is incredibly convincing.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular

James Roberts needs to be chained to a desk so he can keep writing Transformers stories forever.

Leaving a group of mostly innocent comrades to die just kill Megatron. Fuck that guy.

Where was Thunderclash during this coup? I feel he should have tried to stop it. And if not, then fuck that guy too. Fuck all the crew who thought leaving Team Rodimus at the mercy of the DJD.

Although it did seem like Getaway may have only thought it was the galactic council, whom he struck a deal with.

The reveal of Dominus Ambus was pretty shocking. Guy can't catch a break. Earlier when Remind was having memories of the alternate universe, he got turned into a screen headed propaganda machine, and now in canon universe he's been turned into a feral animal.

Nautica continues to be great. It was surprising to see her take part in the final battle though, but I guess when push comes to shove..

Speaking of which, wow, Megatron. I can't believe this series made me genuinely like Megatron. His struggles with baser instincts ever since joining the crew have been a blast. Seeing him finally kick ass was awesome. I do wonder whether or not he'll change back. On one hand Ravage's dying words and pointing the the Decepticon symbol should have pushed him to revert, on the other hand, Terminus is a reminder of the person he once was. The person he really is.

I don't know if getaway was a misstep or not as I haven't read the follow-up stuff. The end of that book was where I stopped reading and have been waiting for trades
    Given getaway's history it is hard to believe he truly intended no collateral damage to the non Megatron stranded. Maybe he would've swung back to get them, maybe not. Maybe it was intended to make him not seen as monstrous but again he setup tailgate of all bots and offered him as a sacrificial lamb. If everyone else on board felt so strongly then he could've done something else one would think. Obviously it is to tell the specific story but if the goal is eliminating Megatron, and you are going to do it openly and brazenly there has to be a better way that condemning a bunch of other people to die alongside him.

Maybe if you assume it was all with 100% pure intent but I don't know if we are supposed to believe that.

As for ravage it can be interpreted that ravage DIDNT want him him to return to being a decepticon.
    I like the vagueness of Ravage's final words. Megatron's in the same position as the reader and now it's up to use to try to figure out the message.

Getaway didn't know the DJD was involved, and I don't even think he knew that Overlord had been rescued by the Council either. The GC was just supposed to show up, arrest/kill Megatron and leave the rest of the Autobots alone.

Thunderclash helping him is a little weird, but remember the other half of the reason they dropped Rodimus' ass is because they felt he and his posse were a distraction in their quest. Getting justice against Megatron probably also weighed against his conscious.
    Tricking to get a cute innocent baby bot into getting himself killed is some straight up evil shit. How the rest of the crew can stand by Getaway now is a bit suspicious. Do you think maybe he used a thought bullet on at least Thunderclash? Or could Thunderclash just not the shining beacon everyone thinks he is

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Windblade series notes:
    Leige Maximo is one of the Thirteen Primes of ancient Transformers lore. He's basically the Loki of Transformers and Vigilim is his extremely loyal Titan.

Their legend is told in the Transformers/RiD series and part of the lead in to Combiner Wars where Swindle is killed.
    Combiner Wars also shows that there are other lost colonies besides Caminus.

The undead titans that show up are the results of the short lived Titans Return event. That event appears to have been cut short when Hasbro mandated the big Revolution event.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Windblade series notes:
    Leige Maximo is one of the Thirteen Primes of ancient Transformers lore. He's basically the Loki of Transformers and Vigilim is his extremely loyal Titan.

Their legend is told in the Transformers/RiD series and part of the lead in to Combiner Wars where Swindle is killed.
    Combiner Wars also shows that there are other lost colonies besides Caminus.

The undead titans that show up are the results of the short lived Titans Return event. That event appears to have been cut short when Hasbro mandated the big Revolution event.

Thank you for this info. I'll go pick up the other series (and missing issues) to fill out the gaps. After the whole splitting the story between RiD and MTMtE then combining them both in alternating stories sort of gave me a headache and I stopped reading since I couldn't keep tabs of the two different stories (combined stories). But now I think I'll go back and pick up what I missed and catch back up again.

Do I really need to pick up the Revolution event? Or can I leave that for when I'm absolutely bored? Sort of like I stopped reading all the Transformers and GI Joe comics.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    You can completely ditch the Revolution event. It only ever really affects the now Optimus Prime series.

The Earth Defense Force from Transformers/RiD is now G.I. Joe, that's about all that's changed.

Till All Are One and Lost Light (MTMtE) escaped any and all Revolutions shenanigans.

Well, pick up the MTMtE Revolution one shot. It's really, really good.

The Transformers Holiday Special is actually 100% canon.

Yukira on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hahaha, oh man.. So there's another crossover coming, called First Strike, and basically Cobra is going to try and destroy Cybertron blah blah blah..

But apparently the Hasbro shared universe ain't doing so hot, as after First Strike, G.I. Joe, Mask, Rom and Micronauts are all canned and are merging into two books: G.I. Joe: Unmasked and Rom & The Micronauts.

Good grief.

Glad you started fucking with my favorite comic series just to completely fail at building a sustainable shared universe. :razz:

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I've found the human parts of the Transformers books to be really boring to be honest, although I've only really read RID/Transformers.

But this shouldn't be surprising, as I've always hated the human parts of Transformers fiction.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Hahaha, oh man.. So there's another crossover coming, called First Strike, and basically Cobra is going to try and destroy Cybertron blah blah blah..

But apparently the Hasbro shared universe ain't doing so hot, as after First Strike, G.I. Joe, Mask, Rom and Micronauts are all canned and are merging into two books: G.I. Joe: Unmasked and Rom & The Micronauts.

Good grief.

Glad you started fucking with my favorite comic series just to completely fail at building a sustainable shared universe. :razz:

I kinda expected this, as in I didn't expect rom, mask or micronauts to go anywhere. GI Joe just doesn't really seem to have a defined future. As to why this needs to keep screwing with transformers...

I dunno but it sure seems like someone is dictating "BE LIKE THOSE MARVEL MOVIES" from on high and it needs to stop
    I've found the human parts of the Transformers books to be really boring to be honest, although I've only really read RID/Transformers.

But this shouldn't be surprising, as I've always hated the human parts of Transformers fiction.

I haven't kept up lately but through this point I found the idea humans better than any previous iteration of the human characters

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    I have a bad feeling that the comics are where Hasbro is testing the whole, "GI Joe vs. Transformers" idea for a movie. They don't realize that the reason it worked long ago for Marvel is that we, as consumers, were hungry for any sort of new story involving our toys. But now that we're older, we actually want a story to go along with the reason for slapping two toy lines together (which they seem to be failing at).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I completely lost interest in the comics when I realized that the Revolutions storyline was a crossover with GI-Joe and whoever the heck ROM is.

And then after that, seemingly, the lines ended and relaunched as Lost Light and ???. And do date, I've not gotten back into it yet. And that makes me sad. I blame it all on GI-Joe.

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I have a bad feeling that the comics are where Hasbro is testing the whole, "GI Joe vs. Transformers" idea for a movie. They don't realize that the reason it worked long ago for Marvel is that we, as consumers, were hungry for any sort of new story involving our toys. But now that we're older, we actually want a story to go along with the reason for slapping two toy lines together (which they seem to be failing at).

That's entirely possible which would suck if it ruined things. I don't think I've ever had a desire for crossover stuff in anything I followed. I guess in certain cases just so whatever the target media is would exist (aka i want a transformers fighting game on a console. If it had to be a crossover to make it happen then fine).

I remember a while ago idw and some writers indicating that Hasbro was very hands off and let them do what they want. I think this was around combiner ears. Maybe the status quo has been shaken.

• Options
    i'm torn between just reading up on spoilers for lost light or continuing to wait for the trade. people seem to be losing their minds over whatever happened recently and i want to catch up but i refuse to do single issues again.

• Options

That's entirely possible which would suck if it ruined things. I don't think I've ever had a desire for crossover stuff in anything I followed. I guess in certain cases just so whatever the target media is would exist (aka i want a transformers fighting game on a console. If it had to be a crossover to make it happen then fine).

I remember a while ago idw and some writers indicating that Hasbro was very hands off and let them do what they want. I think this was around combiner ears. Maybe the status quo has been shaken.

Yeah, I have a bad feeling that Hasbro changed their ways just because they've become more interested in their "Universes" after the TF movies. They wrote up a whole universe now and stories so wouldn't be surprised if they contacted IDW with (or worked with IDW) on some of their universe.
    i'm torn between just reading up on spoilers for lost light or continuing to wait for the trade. people seem to be losing their minds over whatever happened recently and i want to catch up but i refuse to do single issues again.

I've been trying to be good as well and only buy trades but gave into the sale and bought the individual issues for the Till All Are One.

What is sad is that I remember reading everything up to Dark Cybertron, but your post about the Scavengers made me realize I must have skimmed over some parts (or missed) of the story while reading it. Now I want to sit down and re-read everything to see what I missed.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The scavenger only show up a few times, but their stories will endear you to them. They are just such a clumsy group of goofs that they (to me) are hugely entertaining.

I think it's good and bad that Hasbro is taking more interest in their universes. The entire unified origin that was supposed to handle prime (show), the video games (war and fall, dunno about rise of the dark spark), and the other stuff is good. Tie things together...

When it makes sense!

I think it is fine to have separate universes. Personally I don't want the gi joe x transformer crossover. Or mask, or micronauts, or whatever else. It is so jarring to me that it is actively detrimental. Even within transformers if there is going to be s multiverse or whatever that's fine! Have 5000 Earths or whatever. I think the idea of Unicron/Primus bring universal singularities is cool, but maybe that has to go away to have this stuff work. Or explain it away that the gi joe stories just happen to never involve transformers.

• Options
    Just reading the different TF wiki pages about the Scavengers made me like them more. Never realized that Fulcrum wasn't Rung (which for some reason I thought that is who it was).

The bigger problem is if Hasbro is actually taking notice to the comic universe (which I am not 100% sure, but speculated) is that eventually they'll have to figure out the mess between the IDW Earth and the Transformers and the movie Earth and the Transformers (which honestly they have messed up so many times now it isn't even funny).

So after thinking about how Hasbro has messed up the Earth history and the Transformers showing up in the movies, perhaps they aren't involved with the super Hasbro crossover IDW events.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    So I've been reading the non MTMTE Transformers series (combiner wars, distant stars, Transformers) and I really hate how Rattrap is written in the IDW verse.

In Beast Wars he was a smart alec, quippy wise guy, who wasn't afraid to take on those much stronger than him.

In the IDW verse he's just so...tame! Always taking orders from someone, never speaking up, and is just there to help other characters move the plot forward.

This isn't the Rattrap I grew to love. I know they're completely different universes etc, but if you're going to use these known and beloved characters you should at least try to do them justice. Otherwise he may as well be some other random character.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    i mean he takes orders but i recall him being conniving and manipulative just not nearly as good at it as starscream i watched beast wars but couldnt finish it due to boredom so my only exposure to rattrap was him mostly being a coward.

• Options
    IDW Rattrap is basically Starscream's Starscream. He's constantly scheming behind SS's back.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Yeah, he's a conniving and sneaky and clever. You know...like a rat.

• Options
    I would say Beast Wars Rattrap is more a pessimist than a coward.

But with regards to IDW Rattrap, I guess I just want to see more of what his personality is.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    EDIT: Whoops, wrong thread.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Finally caught up with my Transformers trades.

Titans returns was pretty meh to be honest, but did resolve Red Alert's story from MTMTE. It did have a really great callback to earlier in the series
    Prowl using his expertise at table flipping to get the Titan to transform

Other than that I found it really hard to belive that everyone was having such a hard time dealing with Sentinel Prime while he was just in his minicon form. Just shoot the guy already. Why is everyone letting him talk so long?

Another story I want to complain about is Combiner Hunters, which was included in the back of Distance Stars
    This story just felt so pointless. Arcee being on Cybertron to steal the enigma was just too random. Why was she there when she should be on the Arc oribiting Earth's moon. What made her decide to return to cybertron all of a sudden? This story seems like it was roughed out just to sell the Arcee, Chromia and Windblade 3-pack, as well as Victorion. It's a shame that Victorion and the torch bearers got the introduction in this crappy story, because I've genuinely liked their appearances in the recent Transformers volumes.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    anyone know where salvation fits into the greater idw universe? i saw people talking about it on twitter, and im avoiding spoilers since ill eventually pick it up, however the million titles are making it difficult to keep track and killing my enthusiasm

• Options
    It's a continuation of Punishment and Redemption, so if you read those, you probably should be good, as I don't think it outright spoils anything in the mainline comics. I could be wrong though.

• Options
    hmmm, i'm gonna have to go back and reread those. i don't really remember much of what happened. now to figure out which trade they are in

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Wow. Got my Generations Wheeljack in and this is a pretty awesome toy for being just a deluxe. Interesting transformation, great accessories, and he looks terrific. He's a little bukly and it gets in the way of his articlation (which is otherwise good) but damn, I wish I had nabbed this when it first came out.

Narrowing in on the last few pieces of my smaller scale collection (Just need Legends Bumblebee, Titans Returns Octone, Generations Tankor (Octane needs his BFF).. and I guess Nautica if I can find her for not a ridiculous price.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MP WheelJack is one true Wheeljack. I absolutely love his hand armor that doubles as a sort of brass knuckle-like weapon in appearance. Solid transformation too. But since her is a MP he's also more pricier than a deluxe, so if you don't want top go down that rabbit hole it's understandable.

In other news my trades for Sins of the Wreckers, Optimus Prime vol 1, Til All Are one vol 1 and Revolution were shipped so I should get them next week. Wish Lost Light vol 1 had already been released so I could have ordered that as well, but by the time it is it'll probably be cheaper than the pre-order price on Book Depository.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I have an MP Wheeljack for the larger (i.e. MP) scale collection. Him and Bumblebee were my first two MP's when I started back down this rabbit hole a few months ago.

I like the smaller scale stuff because there's a better selection of figures. (Even with Third party, there's still no MP scale Windblade or Sky-Byte) plus more of them fit on top of that bookshelf :biggrin:

Also I had the entire 2008 classics line already so that was a decent place to start.

Wish my Classics Starscream hadn't broke.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I actually loved the Sins of the Wreckers. That comic was really good even not keeping up with the others.

I'm still debating on which Transformers comics I want to pick up in the sale. Normally I pick them up in a humble bundle, but I wonder if they are not going to continue them there.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Oh god dammit, I posted in the comics thread again instead of the general TF thread over in SE++

• Options
    Oh god dammit, I posted in the comics thread again instead of the general TF thread over in SE++

Wait, there's a general TF thread in SE++??? I only post in the action figure thread in here... I can get my geek on about Transformers???

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Wait, there's a general TF thread in SE++??? I only post in the action figure thread in here... I can get my geek on about Transformers???

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/209340/transfomers-vote-for-next-prime-round-2-is-up#latest

(Title is out of date)

• Options
    Remember that discussion we were having here regarding Hasbro being more involved (or not involved) in the IDW comics universe? Well it is pretty much confirmed that Hasbro is indeed taking over the IDW universes at the SDCC.
    Transformers vs. G.I. Joe! IDW and Hasbro Present First Strike
    Thursday, 7/20/17, 2:00p.m. - 3:00p.m., Room: 9
    The Transformers, G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K.: Mobile Armored Strike Kommand, Rom, and the Micronauts—some of your favorite childhood toys—now all inhabit one shared universe! Learn how the creators behind the books work together to create a new world filled with giant robots, magical menaces, and lots and lots of laser guns! This panel will also feature a special sneak preview of the Hasbro comic book event—FIRST STRIKE! Join panel guests Mairghread Scott (Transformers: Till All Are One), John Barber (Optimus Prime), Aubrey Sitterson (G.I. JOE), Chris Ryall (Rom), David A. Rodriguez (First Strike), and Brandon Easton (M.A.S.K.) for an in-depth look at the Hasbro line of comic books!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    If the umbrella (idea vs Hasbro) changed and everything else was left in place (writers/artists/whoever) were left to continue as they had before it'd be fine.

That doesn't seem to be the case based on recent events

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Just... just leave Lost Light alone. It's not asking much, is it?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Given Post Revolutions was a failure and resulted in the consolidation of half the line from 8 to 4 books, I'm not really too worried right now. ROM and the Micronauts will undoubtedly die a quiet death and IDW will eventually excise most or all of M.A.S.K. from G.I. Joe and we'll go back to the way things were with two TF books and a G.I. Joe book. Hasbro will just use the movies and convention to push their shared universe stuff, which is no big loss.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Given Post Revolutions was a failure and resulted in the consolidation of half the line from 8 to 4 books, I'm not really too worried right now. ROM and the Micronauts will undoubtedly die a quiet death and IDW will eventually excise most or all of M.A.S.K. from G.I. Joe and we'll go back to the way things were with two TF books and a G.I. Joe book. Hasbro will just use the movies and convention to push their shared universe stuff, which is no big loss.

I'm hoping that is the case. I mean I'm all for old properties getting another chance is the sun, but I mean was anyone really expecting ROM or MASK to get big? I wish they had just launched as their own things. The draw of unified continues due to marvel movies must be too strong

• Options
    edited July 2017

I'm hoping that is the case. I mean I'm all for old properties getting another chance is the sun, but I mean was anyone really expecting ROM or MASK to get big? I wish they had just launched as their own things. The draw of unified continues due to marvel movies must be too strong

For what it's worth, ROM was always a dude plunking around a shared universe. (Before, it was Marvel) However, Marvel let him breath off in his owner corner for dozens and dozens of issues before the wraith invasion got big enough that the superhero community got involved and it became an all-out war. (Which was an excellent escalation of the conflict). Rom got like, six or seven? issues before he was forced into a crossover. Which might make more sense given the hieighted state of alertness on Earth due to the Transformers, but it does take away from the uniqueness of ROM. Then again, we're getting a new female Transformer, who is ALSO a Space Knight, so that's pretty cool. Shame she won't be getting a toy anytime soon.

Having the MASK transforming vehicles come from reverse engineered Transformers tech makes too much damn sense for me to be that mad about it. G.I. Joe shouldn't be bogged down with helping another IP limp along though.

Also, I may have spoke too soon about Hasbro dropping the comics manipulation; I forgot that they just made THIS the SDCC exclusive.
    c2984as00_hasbrou_04.jpg
    http://ew.com/news/transformers-gi-joe-mask-hasbro-toys-first-look/hasbro-first-look/

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    My understanding was that there are a number of transformers as fixtures in those other comics now so that exclusive isn't surprising. My problem with it is these other characters and properties are supposed to be movers and shakers on their own. If they don't have a heavy influence in the story it wouldn't make sense. If they DO have a big influence then that cuts into transformer time

• Options
    There's a comic called "Revolutionaries" which is a big team-up crossover book (and is ending with issue 8) which I think that's referencing.

Skywarp is on G.I. Joe and there's a ROM/Transformers crossover mini but that's about it as far as I know.