As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

games "journalism" - submit your shit to orikae already, jesus christ

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote:
    OnLive is such a weird thing.

I have gone long periods of time forgetting that it even exists.

. . .
    Melding wrote:
    I had actually forgotten that existed. With all the ads i see for online on youtube i would of thought that impossible.

Onlive is a neat idea that does not work with my connection.

Heh.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I have heard good things about it. I'm not sure i like their pricing model all too much, but that will get figured out as it matures. Also the selection last i checked was terrible.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Rehab wrote:
    OnLive is such a weird thing.

I have gone long periods of time forgetting that it even exists.
    . . .
    Melding wrote:
    I had actually forgotten that existed. With all the ads i see for online on youtube i would of thought that impossible.

Onlive is a neat idea that does not work with my connection.

Heh.

Rehab on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    I have heard good things about it. I'm not sure i like their pricing model all too much, but that will get figured out as it matures. Also the selection last i checked was terrible.

Speak of the Devil and he shall appear

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/150398/so-onlive-is-doing-a-thing-where-you-get-a-game-for-cheap

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    I read

PopMatters' Moving Pixels blog - kind of an all encompassing look at video games and how they relate to culture at-large.

Joystiq - reviews n' shit
    Ars Technica - more reviews n' shit

Giant Bomb - Patrick Klepek is the best actual games journalist. Continually finds fresh, interesting, original stories about a variety of topics related to videogames.

Eurogamer - Also has a great news team. If you've seen a story that has been repeated across multiple blogs, chances are good that it originated at Eurogamer.

Gamasutra - Awesome features on developers and development studios, great for getting an inside look at the games industry.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote:
    there isn't freedom on game consoles

you can't publish a game on the Xbox (or what have you) without getting permission

that is the very definition of non-freedom

Okay, fair point, but that doesn't change the fact that they seem to claim that consoles would stagnate or outright kill gaming culture and that's why they love PC gaming. The issue here is that they could be all for PC gaming without seemingly being all against consoles. You had a problem with me saying totally unverifiable things about indie gaming earlier on? Totally correct, and I shouldn't have been. But they are producing just as much unverifiable claptrap as me.

You can say PC gaming is free. You can say console gaming is not. To attribute any sort of ultimate benefit towards game development or gaming in general on either one of these facts is a much longer debate than the shallow historical references tossed about in that article. It is, in short, kind of horseshit.

• Options
    PC gaming isn't free at all. Unless you're a pirate. And a pretty good thief to boot.

• Options
    Well, free in the sense that you don't need to ask permission to release anything on it.

• Options
    I know, i'm just poking fun.

also, the indie games on the xbox have an incredibly low bar set to them. most of them range from unplayable to just bad. I kind of enjoy standards as they exist.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Shorty wrote:

you can't publish a game on the Xbox (or what have you) without getting permission

Okay, fair point, but that doesn't change the fact that they seem to claim that consoles would stagnate or outright kill gaming culture and that's why they love PC gaming. The issue here is that they could be all for PC gaming without seemingly being all against consoles. You had a problem with me saying totally unverifiable things about indie gaming earlier on? Totally correct, and I shouldn't have been. But they are producing just as much unverifiable claptrap as me.

You can say PC gaming is free. You can say console gaming is not. To attribute any sort of ultimate benefit towards game development or gaming in general on either one of these facts is a much longer debate than the shallow historical references tossed about in that article. It is, in short, kind of horseshit.

I don't think they said they DON'T love console gaming. I think they said they value PC gaming because publishing an indie game does not require getting approval from someone else, as console gaming does. I never got the impression that they are against consoles, they are simply acknowledging their view that PC gaming contributes to indie gaming more than consoles do.

I'm not saying that view is necessarily CORRECT nor that I necessarily AGREE with it, they are just stating THEIR interpretation of the situation.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    This looks to be about as free as you can get: Pandora (console).

• Options
    Hi Viv.

• Options
    Yeah. There was a reason I didn't mention the indie games on xbox. Live Arcade in general has a much higher bar.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    Hi Viv.

'lo

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Just a heads up, never buy an XBLA game made by someone under the atari brand.

Ever.

I wanted to buy the ghostbusters game, because well, ghostbusters. but god damn that games sucked. and was one of their best.

• Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Melding wrote:
    Hi Viv.

'lo

How are you?

• Options
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

I don't think they said they DON'T love console gaming. I think they said they value PC gaming because publishing an indie game does not require getting approval from someone else, as console gaming does. I never got the impression that they are against consoles, they are simply acknowledging their view that PC gaming contributes to indie gaming more than consoles do.

I'm not saying that view is necessarily CORRECT nor that I necessarily AGREE with it, they are just stating THEIR interpretation of the situation.
    In the console-war, the only real casualty is the gaming cultural form. If anyone wins, gaming loses. Any kind of console fandom is just choosing who you want to be chained to.

Maybe I'm not understanding this, and I say so with sincerity rather than sarcasm, but that definitely sounds like anti-console sentiment to me.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I think they're saying that being a fanboy of a specific console is bad. But everyone knew that already. And nobody "wins," because the market is big enough to support all three major companies at this point, and competition is actually healthier for gaming culture or whatever they're talking about. I mean, just looking at indie companies, having Live and PSN there to compete with PC things like Steam for the right to put the best games available on their system is, I have to imagine, pretty good for those independent developers. The PC is definitely more open than consoles as far as getting your game out there. But that openness also means it's harder to break through and get your game known, and it's harder for consumers to sort through the shit to find the gems.

Both have their place, and if RPS wants to focus on the PC side, sure! Sites like that are incredibly helpful in sorting out what's worth your time and what you can pass on. But there's a reason that these indie developers put up with the limitations they face with Live (it's money and exposure, those are the reasons).

I don't know what the point of this post is. I think by the time it gets posted the post I'm replying to will be way above it and I don't even know who I'm arguing with. WHATEVS.

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    so would it be fair to say that most people think of writing about games as instrumental, eg. they use writing about games as an indicator as to whether or not they would buy a game exclusively, and are not interested in writing about games as something to read for its own merit

anyone mind if i ask this one again

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I suppose I should have quoted the rest of that paragraph because they go from talking about fandom to describing the evils of the corporations behind consoles, which have nothing at all to do with fandom.

edit: oh but I pretty much agree with everything else geebs said. my issue is that they definitely seem to focus more on "pc good" and "console bad" than "both have their place in current gaming culture and we just happen to prefer PC gaming."

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    so would it be fair to say that most people think of writing about games as instrumental, eg. they use writing about games as an indicator as to whether or not they would buy a game exclusively, and are not interested in writing about games as something to read for its own merit

Most of the time, yup, unless it's one of those really amazing games that you need to know every teeny thing about.

• Options

What do you mean by its own merit? A good review will talk extensively about the qualities of the game and use that as an ultimate recommendation. Are the two so mutually exclusive?

• Options
    Maybe the writing is just about a certain kind of mechanic though that could shake things up for a genre that has been around awhile.

Like spherical planetoids in Super Mario Galaxy or the realistic facial modeling and speaking from LA Noire.

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    'would people read content about games that isn't reviews'

• Options
    i primarily read previews and news about an upcoming game, almost never a review. by then i don't often give a shit what a reviewer thinks.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    'would people read content about games that isn't reviews'

I do!

but I'm a literature wonk and also a geek so it was a foregone conclusion that I'd be into that sort of thing

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I find myself reading the Iwata Asks interviews quite a bit just because its really interesting to see what kinds of ideas went into the making of a game and the processes that evolved over time when it was being developed.

Rehab on
  • Options
    Some people, probably. But tons don't even read good reviews. Mostly I'd imagine if a publication puts out something that isn't a review on a game that just bill it as an editorial and call it a day.

Basing an entire blog or site on the idea could work depending on how you present it. The thing about a written review is some people will just slide over the actual content and just look at the score. Plus, there are a million and one gaming review sites. You don't get many who actively bill themselves as not reviewing, that could be an advantage maybe?

• Options
    Talking about Giant Bomb again, I find their GDC podcasts hugely interesting because they almost never talk about how good or bad a game is, but rather talk with developers about the state of gaming and game developing. It's super interesting to hear discussion about that, and it could potentially be equally interesting to read about it.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Talking about Giant Bomb again, I find their GDC podcasts hugely interesting because they almost never talk about how good or bad a game is, but rather talk with developers about the state of gaming and game developing. It's super interesting to hear discussion about that, and it could potentially be equally interesting to read about it.

The e3 2011 podcasts had a fair bit of this as well, probably because they had so many developers and industry people in to talk to them.

• Options
    Would you read a blog where i just ramble about ideas i have had?

This is tangentially related to the overall theme here.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    are they good ideas

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    All games need helicopters!

• Options

The e3 2011 podcasts had a fair bit of this as well, probably because they had so many developers and industry people in to talk to them.

The quality of this stuff is always enhanced but how frank everyone is in the discussions. There have usually been some drinks passed around, and while you'll occasionally hear industry dudes talking about a PR rep standing off to the side, the discussions always seen extremely honest. Listening to or reading about content you know is honest and not tempered by PR nonsense is goddamn enlightening.

• Options
    Having seen the general pedigree i put out, i ask you the very same.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote:

helicopters I can jump into the air and punch down

• Options
    Rehab wrote:

helicopters I can shoot down

• Options