As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

games "journalism" - submit your shit to orikae already, jesus christ

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    Both of us refused to play it. I'm actually planning a night where I play it with some people in Vancouver, with the sole caveat that I not touch the controller.

How do you fuck up resident evil 4's controls? Also you kept playing far longer then I did. Though i do think we made bill beat it.

They didn't fuck up RE4's controls. They just didn't realize any games had happened since RE2.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I only follow Giant Bomb, and before that just this forum. GB is funny and intelligent about its reviews, even if its not the best place to go if you're looking for immediate updates the instant any sort of news is released. They have fantastic coverage of upcoming games though, and talk about them at length during the podcast.

RPS seems like a good source but as much as I love PC games I can't understand the logic of restricting yourself only to those. There are tons of fantastic console games, far more than equally fantastic PC games.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Does anyone else follow Game Revolution or is it just me?

And yes, their ads can be a bit invasive and annoying.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I only follow Giant Bomb, and before that just this forum. GB is funny and intelligent about its reviews, even if its not the best place to go if you're looking for immediate updates the instant any sort of news is released. They have fantastic coverage of upcoming games though, and talk about them at length during the podcast.

RPS seems like a good source but as much as I love PC games I can't understand the logic of restricting yourself only to those. There are tons of fantastic console games, far more than equally fantastic PC games.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/why-make-a-blog-about-just-pc-games/

if nothing else, the very last one seems good enough to me

• Options
    The Quick Looks from Giant Bomb are great.

Very much becoming a fan.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    Both of us refused to play it. I'm actually planning a night where I play it with some people in Vancouver, with the sole caveat that I not touch the controller.

How do you fuck up resident evil 4's controls? Also you kept playing far longer then I did. Though i do think we made bill beat it.

They didn't fuck up RE4's controls. They just didn't realize any games had happened since RE2.

Yeah, the problem was it worked in re2, but that became a chore to play as well.

Honestly, if you slapped some good controls into Deadly Premonition it would be a fun quirky title, as it stands it's an interesting jaunt down a moving gravel road in roller blades as you try to shoot things.

• Options
    it's interesting that deadly premonition has come up in basically every gaming thread since it came out

that seems important

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    Melding wrote:

Yeah, the problem was it worked in re2, but that became a chore to play as well.

Honestly, if you slapped some good controls into Deadly Premonition it would be a fun quirky title, as it stands it's an interesting jaunt down a moving gravel road in roller blades as you try to shoot things.

I actually adjusted pretty well to the controls by the time I got into town, but I played a ton of old survival horror games and don't really expect most people to pick it up.

• Options
    it's an interesting game!

for a budget title, it has a lot going on. and a lot of memorable moments that are often just surreal. It is however a horrible play.

It's like the okay looking girl that's travelled the world, always has an interesting story to tell, but is really bad in bed. and kind of smells like old garlic all the time.

• Options
    I don't think I have the tolerance for awfulness that would be required for a playthrough of that game

maybe someday

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Shorty wrote:

Yeah the last one is good

the rest is kind of horseshit

Indie gaming would not be where it is today without Steam and Xbox Live Arcade. Steam might be on the PC but it also might as well be a console all to itself according to this blog's logic because a corporation controls what it sells.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Shorty wrote:

Indie gaming would not be where it is today without Steam and Xbox Live Arcade. Steam might be on the PC but it also might as well be a console all to itself according to this blog's logic because a corporation controls what it sells.

this post is bad and you should feel bad

• Options
    Shorty wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

why, exactly

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I don't think I have the tolerance for awfulness that would be required for a playthrough of that game

maybe someday

I know i didn't. It was worth watching though. trying to guess who the bad guy is and stuff (I was right. Don't let Orik tell you otherwise)

• Options
    Shorty wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

why, exactly

partially because you're putting words in their mouth and partially because you're making a claim about the state of indie gaming that's totally unverifiable

• Options
    Steam does have the right to deny anyone from putting things on their store, but as it stands it's not really a console as it is a digital store front. They could however, maybe a console using their service.

Sort of related: remember the phantom?

• Options
    The Phantom resulted in some great comic strips at least.

• Options
    hah, yeah

the phantom

remember when people thought it was real?

those were some times

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    i remember when the indy games scene was OMG GNU LICENSE DIKU MUDS CROSSFIRE NETREK

by comparison to the late 90s yeah indie games are pretty corporate now

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    yeah, but at the time people were thinking it was dumb because it had no disc drive, and was all digital content.

That is a very real thing now. if there was money in it, valve could easily make a steam console. It's not a likely or even very good idea, but it's a possible idea that could easily be done. On a gradn scale easily. It would take years of man power to be actually done, but conceptually, it's a cut down pc, running steam as it's main OS. store front, ect, everything you need.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    yeah, but at the time people were thinking it was dumb because it had no disc drive, and was all digital content.

215239293_xHJHf-L-2.jpg

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    that could never happen until publishers abandon brick and mortar stores to push their games.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    Are you backing me up, or?

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Shorty wrote:
    partially because you're putting words in their mouth and partially because you're making a claim about the state of indie gaming that's totally unverifiable
    The blog wrote:
    In the console-war, the only real casualty is the gaming cultural form. If anyone wins, gaming loses. Any kind of console fandom is just choosing who you want to be chained to. They’re all international corporations who are legally obliged to serve their shareholders interests. Older gamers will remember the strong arm tactics used by Nintendo when they were on top, gaining the same sort of hatred which Sony are suffering now. Being upset about the Sega’s failure as a hardware manufacturer is one thing, but – really – if they’d have won, they’d been just as bad. It’s what corporations do.

Imagine if a band had to get permission from Sony to release an album on compact disc. It’s ludicrous, but that’s the position in every single console format in the world.

This is where I get their logic as regards to corporations and consoles.

As far as indie games go, while it's true that remark is unverifiable, how many successful and well known indie games can you name off the top of your head which haven't come out on Steam, Xbox Live Arcade or to a lesser extent PSN? How many of the Pax 10 can you name which haven't? I think it's fair to say that popular, centralized digital distribution methods have made indie gaming what it is today. You can't sell a game no one knows exists.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Zoel wrote: »
    that could never happen until publishers abandon brick and mortar stores to push their games.

I'm not so sure. I can buy games online right now, titles i could also go down tot he store and buy and put a disc in. On consoles.

Like i said, it isn't as actually easy as i said, but as a concept we're right there. This could be real in a year or two. Won't be, but could be.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Melding wrote:

Eh, it was just relevant (but I do think the new touch pads that are gaining momentum are sort of like broken computers in a way).

Although the PSP Go was all digital and kind of showed that it might be too early for that given how it crashed and died.

Rehab on
  • Options
    Shorty wrote:
    The blog wrote:
    In the console-war, the only real casualty is the gaming cultural form. If anyone wins, gaming loses. Any kind of console fandom is just choosing who you want to be chained to. They’re all international corporations who are legally obliged to serve their shareholders interests. Older gamers will remember the strong arm tactics used by Nintendo when they were on top, gaining the same sort of hatred which Sony are suffering now. Being upset about the Sega’s failure as a hardware manufacturer is one thing, but – really – if they’d have won, they’d been just as bad. It’s what corporations do.

Imagine if a band had to get permission from Sony to release an album on compact disc. It’s ludicrous, but that’s the position in every single console format in the world.

As far as indie games go, while it's true that remark is unverifiable, how many successful and well known indie games can you name off the top of your head which haven't come out on Steam, Xbox Live Arcade or to a lesser extent PSN? How many of the Pax 10 can you name which haven't? I think it's fair to say that popular, centralized digital distribution methods have made indie gaming what it is today. You can't sell a game no one knows exists.

they didn't say "indie games couldn't exist without the PC"

they said they value freedom

not this other bullshit you're hanging around their neck

• Options
    No one is going to make a non-physical media based console for a while, most likely. There isn't any point to give it up when you can just provide consumers the option of getting physical media from a store or downloading it from PSN, Games on Demand, Steam, whatever. Steam is obviously the biggest one, but console publishers are getting way more into the various console digital distribution methods than they used to.

• Options
    Rehab wrote: »
    Melding wrote:

Eh, it was just relevant.

Although the PSP Go was all digital and kind of showed that it might be too early for that given how it crashed and died.

Yeah, it might be, but it's good to see people trying it.

Depending on who did it i would be behind such a console.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    RPS has kind of fallen off the radar for me. I find myself disagreeing with most of the things they present as facts, their community bugs the crap out of me, and I don't really care for their borderline militant stance on "how superior PC gaming is." I get why they limit their coverage to PC games, but while I don't have an issue with them doing so, I don't enjoy reading it very much.

I've been listening to Giant Bomb's podcasts recently, and I think that's the way I want to hear about games and game opinions. Mostly because I like hearing people actually discuss why they enjoy or don't enjoy something more than I like hearing one person lay out why they like something. It seems like you get a clearer picture of what the product is that way.

News, I don't really care about. I checked kotaku on my phone during e3 because they had a mobile site, and then I realized that kotaku is fucking gross so I stopped.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

I understand this complaint. However if you are old enough to remember Nintendo's policy, you should be able to remember the reason for it. Recall what happened to Atari, the crap games just anybody could throw out. A console lives and dies by the games it has out. A consistent stream of unplayable crap is a one way ticket to out of market.

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote:
    The blog wrote:

Is popularity a metric that matters when everyone has the freedom to develop and publish their games on computers? Whether they be free or cost money.

I think that's what RPS is driving at. The PC has enabled people for decades to make games and not worry about the shit one would on a console. All of that before Steam, Live, PSN and Wii-Ware were ever a thing.

For every successful Indie game that gets released, which could be anything from Mount and Blade to World of Goo, there are huge amounts of games that get released to the public to little or no fanfare.

And popularity and money really don't even matter. Computers have empowered generations of would be developers, given them the opportunity to succeed or fail, and allowed us the consumer to enjoy whatever those products may be.

Sure, things are changing now, but Steam and Xbox Live aren't the beginning and they won't be the end game for Indie games makers.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Shorty wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    The blog wrote:

No, they say they value freedom but then indicate that there is no freedom and an actual death of gaming culture ("the only real casualty is the gaming cultural form") in consoles. That's the thing I have issue with. That's the thing that is horseshit. The PC is more free than consoles, but it isn't some kind of gaming heaven to the console's hell. They both have issues and they both have advantages.

• Options
    No one is going to make a non-physical media based console for a while, most likely. There isn't any point to give it up when you can just provide consumers the option of getting physical media from a store or downloading it from PSN, Games on Demand, Steam, whatever. Steam is obviously the biggest one, but console publishers are getting way more into the various console digital distribution methods than they used to.

onlive-console.jpg

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Krieghund wrote: »

I understand this complaint. However if you are old enough to remember Nintendo's policy, you should be able to remember the reason for it. Recall what happened to Atari, the crap games just anybody could throw out. A console lives and dies by the games it has out. A consistent stream of unplayable crap is a one way ticket to out of market.

Seriously. Standards exist for a reason. Also there is a difference between releasing something on a medium and making specifically for a product to use. Anyone can make a vhs, not everyone can sell a vhs in a store.

Actually, i don't think just anyone can just make a vhs.. you get my point.

• Options
    Speaking of Indie games I really enjoyed the Unepic demo and am seriously considering buying it.

http://www.unepicgame.com/en/game.html

It's like a Metroidvania meets a DnD game full of goofy pop culture humour.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    OnLive is such a weird thing.

I have gone long periods of time forgetting that it even exists.

• Options
    Shorty wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    The blog wrote:

No, they say they value freedom but then indicate that there is no freedom and an actual death of gaming culture ("the only real casualty is the gaming cultural form") in consoles. That's the thing I have issue with. That's the thing that is horseshit. The PC is more free than consoles, but it isn't some kind of gaming heaven to the console's hell. They both have issues and they both have advantages.

there isn't freedom on game consoles

you can't publish a game on the Xbox (or what have you) without getting permission

that is the very definition of non-freedom

• Options
    Macro9 wrote: »

onlive-console.jpg

I had actually forgotten that existed. With all the ads i see for online on youtube i would of thought that impossible.

Onlive is a neat idea that does not work with my connection.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Melding wrote:
    Macro9 wrote: »

onlive-console.jpg

I had actually forgotten that existed. With all the ads i see for online on youtube i would of thought that impossible.

Onlive is a neat idea that does not work with my connection.

I never got around to using it, but I hear that if your connection is up to the task it's a pretty good alternative to having a powerful PC or a console.

Especially if you're playing it on a tv from a distance like one normally does with games consoles.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
This discussion has been closed.