As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boardwalk Empire (NSF56K, some Season 1 Spoilers)

13»

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Jimmy is a fucking idiot
    I know. . . I can't believe it's been this long and he still hasn't fucked his mom. What gives?

Please tell me you wrote this just before actually watching the episode
    I. . . yes.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh. . . man.

So that's the face you make when that happens.

Also the Commodore is a spry mother fucker for a stroke victim and this is going to be one hell of a season finale I tell you what.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Okay, seriously, people, we need to have a conversation about Jimmy.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    He's too far gone, man
    I don't think we can help

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    I sure do love Nelson, Doyle, and Nuckie.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Jimmy's done fucked up one too many times.

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    Let this be a lesson to everyone.

Don't impregnate 12 year old girls.

4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    So I don't know about you cats but I could barely even jerk off to this episode.

• Options
    Well

shit

• Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    God daaaammmit!!

I really hope this lets Richard grow to be a bigger badass, start taking action instead of being just a lackey.

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Richard is going to be so. mad.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    someone tell me what happened

right

now

• Options
    Langly wrote:

right

now

Just watch the show!
    Jimmy tells Nucky he wants to help make things right after trying to screw him over for the whole season. He and Richard go to the interim treasurer, make him sign a confession that it was Nucky's brother who ordered the murder of Margaret's husband, then shoot the treasurer and make it look like a suicide. Nucky and Margaret get married, because as his wife she can't be compelled to testify against him. Thus, the case against Nucky falls apart.

Nucky tells Jimmy that he knows where Manny Horvitz is, and he'll bring him to a particular spot so Jimmy can have his revenge for his wife. When they meet it turns out to be a setup and Nucky personally shoots Jimmy dead

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote:

right

now
    Nucky always wins
    He shot the mofo.

!
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Langly wrote:

right

now

Just watch the show!
    Jimmy tells Nucky he wants to help make things right after trying to screw him over for the whole season. He and Richard go to the interim treasurer, make him sign a confession that it was Nucky's brother who ordered the murder of Margaret's husband, then shoot the treasurer and make it look like a suicide. Nucky and Margaret get married, because as his wife she can't be compelled to testify against him. Thus, the case against Nucky falls apart.

Nucky tells Jimmy that he knows where Manny Horvitz is, and he'll bring him to a particular spot so Jimmy can have his revenge for his wife. When they meet it turns out to be a setup and Nucky personally shoots Jimmy dead

I am unable to at the moment
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

is there any way that it is a fake out/he's not dead/it was my twin brother?

I mean, I don't expect it from this show, just making sure.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Nope. Deeeeeefinitely not. It was definitely an on-screen thing.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Langly wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Langly wrote:

right

now

Just watch the show!

I am unable to at the moment
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

is there any way that it is a fake out/he's not dead/it was my twin brother?

I mean, I don't expect it from this show, just making sure.

Not really
    He was calmly telling Nucky this whole thing about what it's like to kill a man and how will he cope with it once the booze runs out and he's left all alone, and Nucky shot him once and he fell down in the mud, still alive
    Nucky stands over him and says "I'm not looking for forgiveness" and shoots him again, right in the forehead

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    hahaha fffffuuuucckkkkk

• Options
    man
    what was even the whole point of his character then? They built up this whole thing with him and it seemed to go nowhere.

• Options
    I'm actually wondering that myself

• Options
    I feel like this show is very well made and I really love pretty much every actor in it, but the writers need to find a way to tell a satisfying story arc.

Like, I get the idea of trying to portray a gritty realistic depiction of prohibition mobsters, but you still need to satisfy the audience to a certain extent with your character arcs. Otherwise, there's no investment.

• Options
    Maybe it was to show us that, like Jimmy, we thought we knew Nucky, knew what kind of person he was. But we really don't, and didn't realize how much of a ruthless bastard he can be?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe it was to show us that, like Jimmy, we thought we knew Nucky, knew what kind of person he was. But we really don't, and didn't realize how much of a ruthless bastard he can be?
    without seeing this specific episode, I don't think so? I mean, I am not surprised at all that nucky would do that at this point in the show, from a character perspective. Not only that, from a pragmatic and retributive sense, he's not wrong. Jimmy completely fucked him, and was attempting to ruin his life and everything he had worked for (and again, there are mitigating factors from Jimmy's perspective but I'm just talking about what Nucky thinks). It was a complete betrayal, and then Jimmy (once everything has gone south with his plan) comes back looking to say he's sorry?

Yeah. Fucking. Right. Just like with Eli, it's too little, too late. That part makes complete sense to me as a viewer. What is shocking is the writers actually following through with that line of thought. There are plenty of ways Jimmy could have survived. He could have backed off, gone back to Chicago with Capone, come up with some sort of collateral or leverage with which to protect himself, etc. In fact, that seems like the most likely thing, since supposedly the whole point of his arc was that he was a smart guy who nucky was grooming for succession.

Moves that subvert audience expectation can work really well, but it's a tricky thing to do, and if you don't satisfy the audience in other ways, with other arcs, then your story loses focus and becomes just a bunch of people doing things, rather than a group of characters in which you are invested emotionally. Sometimes that calls for characters not being killed when maybe in reality they would be, but a skillful writer can make that adjustment look natural.

Langly on
  • Options
    Langly wrote:
    I feel like this show is very well made and I really love pretty much every actor in it, but the writers need to find a way to tell a satisfying story arc.

Like, I get the idea of trying to portray a gritty realistic depiction of prohibition mobsters, but you still need to satisfy the audience to a certain extent with your character arcs. Otherwise, there's no investment.
    Yeah. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on. Unfortunately all of that is denigrated by the lack of any real direction for anyone (besides maybe Nucky) and what the website Pajiba calls "The Hammer of the Week," which is when the plot or theme is hammered upon by music, framing, or first draft dialogue from a Creative Greek Tragedy 203 class.

• Options
    Langly wrote:
    without seeing this specific episode, I don't think so? I mean, I am not surprised at all that nucky would do that at this point in the show, from a character perspective. Not only that, from a pragmatic and retributive sense, he's not wrong. Jimmy completely fucked him, and was attempting to ruin his life and everything he had worked for (and again, there are mitigating factors from Jimmy's perspective but I'm just talking about what Nucky thinks). It was a complete betrayal, and then Jimmy (once everything has gone south with his plan) comes back looking to say he's sorry?

Yeah. Fucking. Right. Just like with Eli, it's too little, too late. That part makes complete sense to me as a viewer. What is shocking is the writers actually following through with that line of thought. There are plenty of ways Jimmy could have survived. He could have backed off, gone back to Chicago with Capone, come up with some sort of collateral or leverage with which to protect himself, etc. In fact, that seems like the most likely thing, since supposedly the whole point of his arc was that he was a smart guy who nucky was grooming for succession.

Moves that subvert audience expectation can work really well, but it's a tricky thing to do, and if you don't satisfy the audience in other ways, with other arcs, then your story loses focus and becomes just a bunch of people doing things, rather than a group of characters in which you are invested emotionally. Sometimes that calls for characters not being killed when maybe in reality they would be, but a skillful writer can make that adjustment look natural.
    The only thing I could really think of is that the writers decided to take a page from Game of Thrones.

Jimmy decided to try and do what he thought was right and got killed for it. And it is sad cause I felt there was a lot more that could have been done with the character. Before this episode I was pretty enthusiastic for season 3 but now not so much?

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    I'm actually wondering that myself

Eh, this is kind of just a 2 episode arc starting from last week, I feel like
    Last week's episode: Jimmy's character spirals irrevocably out of control due to events both in the past and present

This week: Jimmy goes down so we don't have to go through the entire series with all that shit swirling around him

I worry sometimes that some of the writing decisions in the 11th hour have just been kneejerk responses to people complaining about the show not being spicy enough. Granted, this was at least more natural than last week, but it almost felt like damage control.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    so did any of you US folks watch the pilot for Luck?

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I hope Richard gets more attention in season 3. Supremely undervalued character.

• Options
    Jimmy's kid is totally getting his head blown off in WWII.