As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Midsummer Night's [chat]

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Elendil wrote:
    what if the guns shot swords

run_rifle.jpg

Pony on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Are there many plays where the swords are guns Abdy

yes

this is commonplace

dude do you go to the stratford festival at all

ever

I can't tell if this is a serious question. When would I go to the Stratford festival I'm poor and surround myself with the uncultured.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

That was terrible. When did the Onion start letting people do serious Op-Eds with gastly wordplay as a patina f comedy over them?
    Or am I missing something, and the very existence of the column is a meta-comment on whether or not Krugman's argument can possibly be serious?

It's the onion, odds are its a meta riff on Krugman, I doubt he had anything to do with it.

• Options
    "yo J-rock you wanna smoke a joint and go see some muthafuckin Macbeth?"

you kiddin me

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I've always wondered what the sound of a gun that shoots swords would be

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I have an idea

I'm going to do a production of a Shakespeare play

and set it in the Elizabethean era

I know that Shakespeare plays are supposed to be set in a hippy commune, or during world war II, or modern times, or a surreal mishmash of different eras, but I think my idea is just crazy enough to work

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

That was terrible. When did the Onion start letting people do serious Op-Eds with gastly wordplay as a patina f comedy over them?
    Or am I missing something, and the very existence of the column is a meta-comment on whether or not Krugman's argument can possibly be serious?
    OK, for those wondering:

Yes, it was a Photoshopped picture of me as Dracula. In the long run we are undead and all that, but not yet.

No, I didn’t have anything to do with the article. But they spelled my name right, so it’s all good..

"In the long run we are undead" is an acceptable economics joke.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ok i uploaded the clip from it's always sunny

it's from a recent episode so uh... i guess don't watch it if you want to see it unsullied?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZnLu43kztU

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    I have an idea

I'm going to do a production of a Shakespeare play

and set it in the Elizabethean era

I know that Shakespeare plays are supposed to be set in a hippy commune, or during world war II, or modern times, or a surreal mishmash of different eras, but I think my idea is just crazy enough to work

The Merchant of Venice in prehistoric Italy.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    do you bite your thumb at me, sir

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular

yes. deal with it.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Unsullied :(

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I've always wondered what the sound of a gun that shoots swords would be

boomsnikt!

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Carrot, we've got to get your dude a combat power.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

My thumb, sir? No, sir. Your very mother did happen to bite her thumb at my behest just last night, though.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Carrot, we've got to get your dude a combat power.

Phantom has Affliction, I just haven't used it yet.

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Y'all just a bunch of thumbiters.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    the last episode was so great

dennis being classic dennis

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    You're rocking the boat Wandering, I dunno how these fine thespians will take to your wild ideas

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Now I am wondering if longswords or rapiers were the blade of choice when Shakespeare was writing.

England was kind of backwards ass in not adapting the rapier as fast as some other places.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Was Hamlet 2 any good/funny? I kinda wanted to see it, but never did.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    this is the way, step inside
    this is the way, step iiinsiiiiiide

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Wash wrote:
    Are there many plays where the swords are guns Abdy

more plays than the plays where people dress up in costumes

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Why is Titus Andronicus considered Shakespeare's worst play when it is clearly awesome? Are Shakespeare lovers prissy prudes who can't handle too much ultraviolence? Is the movie just so awesome that it hides the plays terribleness? Am I uncultured swine who doesn't understand shakespeare at all?

I WILL GRIND YOUR BONES TO DUST
    AND WITH THE BLOOD AND IT I WILL MAKE A PASTE
    AND OF THE PASTE A COFFIN WILL I REAR
    AND MAKE TWO PASTRIES OF YOUR SHAMEFUL HEADS

coffin means pie

• Options
    Huh. My bus takes me right past Cass' old building.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Now I am wondering if longswords or rapiers were the blade of choice when Shakespeare was writing.

England was kind of backwards ass in not adapting the rapier as fast as some other places.

He mentions longswords directly a few times in various plays. Then again, he was not known for being time-correct, what with the clocks in the Roman Empire and shiz. So maybe he was being retro.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote:
    Was Hamlet 2 any good/funny? I kinda wanted to see it, but never did.

It was the kind of funny where people who normally don't think things are funny slop praise all over it. It's ok, not great.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    One of the best Shakespeare adaptations I've ever seen was Ian McKellan and Judy Dench in Macbeth (directed by Trevor Nun). The set was completely minimalist and it was the performances that just really stood out (It was more or less a filmed version of the RSC's 1976 stage production).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUOoDUUlA34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVs7XrTv1YM&

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

He mentions longswords directly a few times in various plays. Then again, he was not known for being time-correct, what with the clocks in the Roman Empire and shiz. So maybe he was being retro.

Well the trick is that during the time like, they didn't call a rapier a rapier, they called it a sword, because it was the type of sword people were wearing at the time. And the rapier is a long sword... so...who knows! I'm sure someone does but that sounds like a lot of googling.

Edit: Abd: Yes.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Inquisitor wrote:

Wasn't the names of swords pretty different when they were used by people and not just historians

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    What are the advantages of a rapier?

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    Why is Titus Andronicus considered Shakespeare's worst play when it is clearly awesome? Are Shakespeare lovers prissy prudes who can't handle too much ultraviolence? Is the movie just so awesome that it hides the plays terribleness? Am I uncultured swine who doesn't understand shakespeare at all?

I WILL GRIND YOUR BONES TO DUST
    AND WITH THE BLOOD AND IT I WILL MAKE A PASTE
    AND OF THE PASTE A COFFIN WILL I REAR
    AND MAKE TWO PASTRIES OF YOUR SHAMEFUL HEADS

coffin means pie

To be fair, until today I just thought Titus Andronicus was a band.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

Well the trick is that during the time like, they didn't call a rapier a rapier, they called it a sword, because it was the type of sword people were wearing at the time. And the rapier is a long sword... so...who knows! I'm sure someone does but that sounds like a lot of googling.

Look, all I know is that when Capulet is in his helicopter, he calls for his longsword. He also calls his wife a ho' though, so perhaps we shouldn't listen too closely to what he says.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Young people and old people are the ones who think islam and muslims are a problem.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    What are the advantages of a rapier?

Reach and speed. While the longswords tended to be the same length, lunging doesn't work nearly as well.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

Look, all I know is that when Capulet is in his helicopter, he calls for his longsword. He also calls his wife a ho' though, so perhaps we shouldn't listen too closely to what he says.

YOU'RE A FUCKING INANIMATE OBJECT.

ahem, whoops
    c9rhO.jpg

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    I misread the year on that Ian McKellen video as 1797.

My first thought was, "Wow, he is old."

I did not stop to consider whether or not they had filming equipment in the 16th century.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    Gesundheit.

• Options
    Daxon wrote:
    I misread the year on that Ian McKellen video as 1797.

My first thought was, "Wow, he is old."

I did not stop to consider whether or not they had filming equipment in the 16th century.

Or that people don't live that long?

I don't know. There is precedent. I mean, look at Sean Connery.

This discussion has been closed.