As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Midsummer Night's [chat]

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    I tried carrying around like a writing journal and whatnot.

It did nothing for me and I found myself turned away from writing. I would have all these awesome ideas while traveling on the bus/train or out and about and I've lost a lot of them to the winds of time now because I either didn't have something to write with on hand, or I couldn't be fucked to actually write my complicated series of ideas out by hand and by the time I got home or to where I was going, I'd forgotten either the construction of the idea that I liked, or the idea itself.

Now that I have a personal word processing device on hand at all times, I am much, much more productive.

Now, perhaps that is because I find more inspiration while I am away from home. I actually find myself writing much more outside of my home than inside of my home. But even then, I couldn't even imagine choosing pen and paper over my desktop computer. That would be like cramming four people in your car and choosing the non-carpool lane just because.

I've written entire first drafts on my iPhone while on the bus. The CeltX iPhone/iPad app has a wonderful little feature that lets you sync scripts with your PC or Mac, so when I'd get home I'd just transfer the script to the PC, fix the typos, and keep going.

In fact, back when I had my netbook, "writing" was my #1 reason for justifying the purchase to myself. The #2 reason was programming, but even then, I was mainly writing text adventures.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Bogart wrote:
    How the fuck you can say Branagh's Hamlet was an hour too long when it was pretty much the exact same length as the play is beyond me.

Because Shakespeare's Hamlet is also an hour too long.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Drez wrote:
    Bogart wrote:
    How the fuck you can say Branagh's Hamlet was an hour too long when it was pretty much the exact same length as the play is beyond me.

scott pilgrim is 112 minutes too long

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote:

Needs moar flashy lights

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    ugh I've had to do actual work today. Like get up from my desk work.

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    In fact, back when I had my netbook, "writing" was my #1 reason for justifying the purchase to myself. The #2 reason was programming, but even then, I was mainly writing text adventures.

That's a good reason to own a netbook. I miss my laptop for much the same reason, and my goal of getting an ipad has been scuppered indefinitely after having lost my job.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Organichu wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Bogart wrote:

edit: Poor taste. Just like Organichu's butt.

Drez on
  • Options
    How tall are you, bro?

• Options
    6'1

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    This post is tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I'm 6'1" too.

Lets be height buddies

• Options
    This post is tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long

I'm worried that attitudes like this will be the death of long posts

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    Daft Punk's "Too Long" is about five minutes too long.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    elendil you're taller than me, right

i wish i were 6'2" but i don't think i am

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    chu is like 6'2" i think

which means there's six inches of chu you actually want

and I gotta say drez

that's awfully generous

• Options
    Organichu wrote:
    6'1

Hey.

Hey, listen.

• Options
    I used to be 6'4". Being a fatty makes you shrink. Remember that kids.

• Options
    ok the nausea has given me a brief respite

i guess i ought to have lunch now

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    6'1

Like all men, you are actually 5'11". You think you can get away with two inches because the shoes add one and the next is an honest mistake.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    did they ever use great big battle axes IRL

those are p. boss

saving up to buy one

No like, organized military to my knowledge. Dunno. Axes are kinda bad weapons. They look super rad though.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Hah. 6'1"... dwarves.

6'4", sucka.

• Options
    Seriously, Hamlet is my favorite play from any author. It's a fantastic play.

But five hours worth of play to read is quite different from five hours of play to watch.

Nobody wants to watch a five hour play. Fuck that.

• Options
    Organichu wrote:
    6'1

Like all men, you are actually 5'11". You think you can get away with two inches because the shoes add one and the next is an honest mistake.

i am actually 6'1"! i stood in socks at my doctor's office next to the thing!

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    October is almost over, gotta rep my boi in my av

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    I prefer to read plays than watch them

• Options
    Last time I went to the doctor, he was like 5'6" and he pulled out the ruler and kinda shrugged and asked, "How tall are you?" :P

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I never understood the obsession with reading plays. The works of Shake'n'spear are not great as books.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    is that jesus

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Drez wrote:

But five hours worth of play to read is quite different from five hours of play to watch.

Bollocks. I've watched five different versions of Hamlet on stage and most of them were upwards of four hours. Me and everyone else was happy to sit through it and loved pretty much every minute. Some bits are often cut, which is fine, but none of them were cut so much that the running time came close to three hours. Four and a little bit is average. Never seen one that took five.

Lear's about four hours as well.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    I'll be over here being all short at 5'8".

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I never understood the obsession with reading plays. The works of Shake'n'spear are not great as books.

Wut?

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote:

Wut?

I also do not understand DK's statements.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Bogart wrote:

Organichu is 4 inches too short

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Did anyone else UK side try to get a NOS Batman Beyond code? I want to confirm if it's a region thing.

D:

Also, I have another code sitting here right next to me if anyone wants it.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular

who is your boi

do you realize you are using rep incorrectly

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options

Well, they aren't "books." They are "plays." Just like a short story isn't a book, a poem isn't a book, a novella isn't a book (though it is book-like). And so on.

A play is text, but it isn't a book.

This may sound like semantics, but I posit that if you approach reading the text of a play like it's a book you are doing it wrong.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Drez wrote:

I'm pretty sure most modern stagings of the longer Shakespeare plays edit the text down a bit.

Also, hearing Shakespeare acted aloud is a much different experience than reading it on the page.

Edit: Even reading Shakespeare aloud makes the flow and rhythm of the words more obvious than they are when just reading them silently.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I dunno, I get quite different things out of reading and watching a play. I like both.

• Options
    Bogart wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Bollocks. I've watched five different versions of Hamlet on stage and most of them were upwards of four hours. Me and everyone else was happy to sit through it and loved pretty much every minute. Some bits are often cut, which is fine, but none of them were cut so much that the running time came close to three hours. Four and a little bit is average. Never seen one that took five.

Lear's about four hours as well.

Four hours is also too long for a play.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    6'1

See, I cop to 5'11 because I get the feeling I'd be pretty embarrassed telling people I'm six feet and them figuring out it's a lie.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
This discussion has been closed.