As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2] But ,maybe banshee could do less damage or be less of a ass hole

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    can't you just set your region to us in the account management screen and buy a copy online?

that's what i did, but i guess if you can get someone in the us to get it for less that makes more sense

• Options
    TrunkersTrunkers Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Biosys wrote:
    can't you just set your region to us in the account management screen and buy a copy online?

that's what i did, but i guess if you can get someone in the us to get it for less that makes more sense

I tried that but all my cards kept getting rejected. Blizzard support wasn't able to sort it out, and suggested I get a friend to buy a copy and email me the code. Service! :)

Shame because all I wanted to do tonight was come home and play customs with the people in the PA channel.

Trunkers on
    My MTG Cube Site - -http://riptidelab.com
  • Options
    badger2dbadger2d San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Trunkers wrote:
    badger2d wrote:
    Trunkers wrote:

Interesting article on the whole, but:
    So, for example, with Mvp, it knows he beat Moonan, Select, Machine and Boxer 2-0, and that he beat Kiwikaki, Ganzi, DongRaeGu and MMA 2-1. So, he should be a lot better than those first four players, and about twice as good as those last four.

So if you win a best of 3 series, you're at least twice as good as the other guy? That's an extremely silly conclusion.

Uh, well, the idea is that with a sufficient amount of data it works in the long run. It's just trying to find the maximum likelihood estimate that would produce a 2 - 1 victory. But, you don't just play one match, it's factoring in loads of information. That sentence was just to give a vague idea of how the algorithm works. If you won 5 to 4 you'd be 1.25 times better than the other guy, estimated. Then you play other people, those people play people, and in the end the skill estimates tend to get pretty close. I'd say that with the exception of cases where someone has gotten dramatically better or worse, the skill estimates are probably accurate withing a 25 percent margin (I could compute the standard errors but don't have the time right now). So, maybe Coca is worse than Ganzi or whatever, but it's pretty clear that MVP is in the ballpark of 50 times better than InControl, for example.

Well yeah...I've taken statistics. (A long time ago!)

That just struck me as such a remarkably clumsy way to try to express his math in more or less non-math terms (though that is admittedly not an easy thing to do), that I can't help but feel skeptical about the rest of what he has to say afterwards. I feel, fairly or unfairly, that someone who really has their statistical chops down wouldn't dare to use numbers as small as 2 games to 1 even for a simplified example. Statistics is just too completely meaningless at that point. But maybe I'm just being a jerk about it, he certainly appears to be doing math that I have long forgotten how to do so I'm not going to check up on it or anything. :p

badger2d on
    Blizzard: Symphony #1704
    Steam: badger2d
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    You can have sample sizes be pretty damn small and still have significant results.
    It's all about what confidence interval you set.

If you recall your stats, nothing is ever definite.
    It's all relative.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    badger2dbadger2d San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Lies, damned lies, and statistics

Blizzard: Symphony #1704
    Steam: badger2d
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    n=3 is all you need to graph a trend and be able to call it a legitimate trend.

• Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    The problem isn't saying "Player A won the series, so he's better than player B". That's why we play series in the first place, because we know a single game is a bad indicator of skill. The problem is trying to say "Player A is 1.25 times better than player B because he's up 5-4". It doesn't really work like that, because of unaccounted factors For example, if all 5 of his wins were on a certain map, and all 4 of his losses were on 4 different maps, you wouldn't say player A is better, you'd say he has a dominant understanding of that map. That doesn't even begin to get into the fact that people have different win-loss ratios at different stages of a tournament, when they are up or down a game, etc. It's this kind of stuff that keeps baseball statisticians employed. It isn't that the sample size itself is low, it's that all wins and losses are considered equal, and that just isn't the case when you're trying to measure player "betterness".

For n=3 to be legit, all starting conditions need to be the same.

Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'll be streaming at twitch.tv/tannerms for the next 10 hours or so (with a break for dinner about three hours in). If anyone wants to play some games or help me fix my sound, that would be super awesome!

I'm mostly trying to work on build consistency and eliminating my super shitty bad habits so if you're wathcing and I'm being awful, call me out

TannerMS on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Remember that Gus guy, who did all that terrible shit with the IPL thing in the Philippines?

This is the worst thing he's done so far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRIg5WMOoxQ

Fucking unlistenable.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    [MVP]: I always plan for future. That’s what I excel at.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Variable wrote:
    [MVP]: I always make spreadsheets. That’s what I excel at.

• Options
    I'm watching Tanner

• Options
    815165 wrote:
    Variable wrote:

I can't just stand by and allow this

• Options
    Variable wrote:
    815165 wrote:
    Variable wrote:

Because you're an Open Office guy, right? 8->

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    815165 wrote:
    Variable wrote:
    815165 wrote:
    Variable wrote:

Because you're an Open Office guy, right? 8->

Prism or death

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote:
    You can have sample sizes be pretty damn small and still have significant results.
    It's all about what confidence interval you set.

If you recall your stats, nothing is ever definite.
    It's all relative.

From what I recall, around n=20 is near the lower end of getting decent data. In general.

And that's even after you start fitting the data to a distribution that basically admits "Yeah we're super unconfident about this stuff."

But hey, I've only ever taken like 2 courses in stats.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    if it comes out with mvp miles ahead of everyone it's good enough for me

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    can you guys stop talking about math shit

• Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    YEAH!

nerds

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    go back to watching koreans playing videogames

nerds

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Variable wrote:
    if it comes out with mvp miles ahead of everyone it's good enough for me

This actually was my thinking.

"Well these methods look really sketchy. But then again MVP is in a completely separate God-tier."

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    @Sceptre, I've been listening to the new Drake and Childish Gambino albums, give em a listen if that's your thing.

don't hate

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    I have a special playlist, only when I'm in a very specific mood, that's just a bunch of NWA albums.

A very specific mood.

• Options
    I tried playing some games this morning to the Jazz station on Grooveshark, and its actually really really nice.

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    Mornings are the best time for jazz. I never wake up and think "let's get some beats bumpin", just a nice smooth way to start my day.

• Options
    I just like smooth calm music all the time. Ewan Dobson is a favourite for SC2.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I took a break from Skyrim to play some rounds and assisted a beginner who had 4 rax and no marines coming out of them.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Haahahahhah.... it's games like this that make it all worth while.

repimg-33-242009.jpg

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote:

If you are not listening to Blue Skies Black Death you really should be

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Sceptre wrote:
    Mornings are the best time for jazz. I never wake up and think "let's get some beats bumpin", just a nice smooth way to start my day.

i'm starting to dig on the herbie hancock and chuck corea and weathermen and IT'S ALL MY 6 YEAR OLD SON'S FAULT!!!

(yes, there's a back story to that)

but i do like the jazz for crafting stars, i also like the minimalist techno and goa trance for the same porpoise. good structure, even beat, NO SINGING. its a lot easier to pay attention to something else that way.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote:

When I was on my big laddering kick I listened to a Stromkern album on repeat.

Maybe not so calm.

• Options
    I also mostly avoid music with lyrics. lots of electronic. sometimes classical.

often I am streaming someone else playing SC or have a tv show on

• Options
    3clipse wrote:
    Dhalphir wrote:

Maybe not so calm.

your big laddering kick?

that was what, the late fifties?

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote:
    3clipse wrote:
    Dhalphir wrote:

Maybe not so calm.

your big laddering kick?

that was what, the late fifties?

Twenties. Wore a zootsuit and played in a Speakeasy.

(i.e. right after the game came out I laddered for 4-5 hours a day)

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    What do you do in ZvZ in this scenario?

In Metalopolis we spawned close and caught each other. He planted a bunch of Spine Crawlers in his mineral line and rushed to Banelings. I expand to out-econ him and get Mutas out but he put a Nydus Worm in my main and dumped a shitload of Banelings on it. I hardly ever see players use Nydus Worms.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    Bronze strategies 101. Build roaches, or build banelings. Even if you take a decent amount of drone losses (which you shouldn't) you should still be ahead with your expansion.

• Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Cantido wrote:
    What do you do in ZvZ in this scenario?

In Metalopolis we spawned close and caught each other. He planted a bunch of Spine Crawlers in his mineral line and rushed to Banelings. I expand to out-econ him and get Mutas out but he put a Nydus Worm in my main and dumped a shitload of Banelings on it. I hardly ever see players use Nydus Worms.

You will actually get banelings slower if you put spine crawlers down.

redraptor on
  • Options
  • Options
    ...that mod is baller.

The mercenary siege tanks are so cool looking.

• Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I don't like those new team liquid shirts, I was excited that they were going to get some legit jerseys not mutant horse tees.

redraptor on
This discussion has been closed.