As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They were all dead. The final gunsh- IT'S PAYNE

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    God damn I loved 1 and 2. So much. Also I loved how original Max looked like a smirking Johnny Knoxville.

ScreenShot1.jpg
    johnny-knoxville.jpg

Funny thing is that face is actually one of the lead developers.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I mean, I love playing their games. They're super fun. I'm just grumbling about how they don't make any goddamn sense in even the most general aspects from a writing viewpoint.

Elaborate!

I know the obvious problems; they completely disconnect the story with the gameplay, and they take a long time to get where they're going, and there's always a fair bit of self-indulgent filler (though I found Red Dead's journey through the various eras of western a worthwhile endeavor), but I've loved their endings to pieces

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Max Payne taught me how badass sawed off shotguns can be

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    God damn I loved 1 and 2. So much. Also I loved how original Max looked like a smirking Johnny Knoxville.

ScreenShot1.jpg
    johnny-knoxville.jpg

hCFbJ.gif

edit:

for those that don't know who that is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Lake

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Someone sat up in a meeting and said "we should put CARS in a spaghetti western" and everyone agreed with them.
    Wait hold on

the whole point of Red Dead is that the west is changing. It's a very Butch Cassidy story.

Marston is a dying breed and really can't survive in this new environment how he would like to

the cars are there because it shows how urbanization and civilization are moving into the West

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Despite my initial anxiety over this game I will likely eat it up. It is getting a PC release, right? I would be very upset if it didn't.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    I mean on the back of the box for RDR it says in big red letters

AMERICA, 1911, THE WILD WEST IS DYING.

the cars fit perfectly.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    there are westerns that are pretty great that are about the west fading and have vehicles in them

Big Jake, for one.

• Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    Slow motion jump to the left

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM

Land

Slow motion jump to the right

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM

Land

Slow motion jump to the left

This is a fair point, but Max Payne 2 was much better in that regard because it encouraged using the bullet time while standing or running so it wasn't as much hopping back and forth.

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    I like to believe that joshofalltrades wasn't saying it like it was a bad thing.

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Someone sat up in a meeting and said "we should put CARS in a spaghetti western" and everyone agreed with them.
    Wait hold on

the whole point of Red Dead is that the west is changing. It's a very Butch Cassidy story.

Marston is a dying breed and really can't survive in this new environment how he would like to

the cars are there because it shows how urbanization and civilization are moving into the West

which is fine in cinema because most filmmakers have heard of subtlety

my problem is not necessarily with the subject but the approach, which felt quite 'HEY WE SHOULD DO THIS BECAUSE THESE GOV'MENT MEN ARE BAD SO THEY SHOULD DRIVE A CAR'

ill-considered, in other words

• Options
    I mean you can look at it that way sure

I just took it as they had a car because the Federal Government actually supplies it's agents well as opposed to Martson's lifestyle where he scrounges for every last cent

which is also why they wore very nice suits and hats

it was just a sign of the times changing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    You know what else was a real bitch in Max Payne 1? The goddamn run thru the restaurant while it's on fire. I had such a hard fuckin time with that! Now tho, it's easy.

• Options
    On the topic of Rockstar:
    Dan Hauser wrote:
    We knew that we didn't want to start doing the Bully sequel instantly at that second with those guys--even though it is a property that, like Max, we adore and might come back to in the future,” said Houser. “There was just no impetus to do that then. So we said, 'You can do Max, and then we will see what we can do with Bully.' So it was really waiting for the slot to open up and the group to open up to at least start work on it.

yes yes yes Bully sequel do it please

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I have bully from a steam sale. I should install it and play it

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    Bully is easily my favorite Rockstar game

TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    which is a shame almost - that game's development was a fuckshow to rival la noire. it was developed here and i've met a lot of bitter ex-Rockstar devs.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote:
    I mean you can look at it that way sure

I just took it as they had a car because the Federal Government actually supplies it's agents well as opposed to Martson's lifestyle where he scrounges for every last cent

which is also why they wore very nice suits and hats

it was just a sign of the times changing

its existence is plausible, sure. but in a way that's my problem with Rockstar's games, or games in which they have a say in development (again, like la noire) - a lot of stuff is added because it sounds cool, rather than supporting an overall message or theme. sure, it could be that they were given a car to serve as a contrast to marsden's reliance on horses, but it's not focused on at any point. it's a conclusion you can draw, but nothing about the design or function of the game brings attention to it as a problem, especially compared to setpieces like hunting with your
    son
    - a skill you'd used the whole game comes in at the end for an emotionally resonant reason. you're not only practicing skinning stuff to make clothes or money, you're teaching someone else by playing the game, which radically shifts your viewpoint. cars? not so much, they're presented as a novelty and it could have been cut with no real loss. in fact, the contrast between the suit and automatic pistol and a horse-drawn carriage might be even more effective because of the incongruity of the two.

and yeah, ultimately it is the way i look at it, and it's by no means objective. but nothing is about stories or games or any kind of art, so i usually take it as read.

• Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    Orik you are good people, and despite not always agreeing with you I like the way you make your points.

• Options
    thanks! i think a lot about this stuff, but i recognize that i'm not the only one with valid viewpoints and i'm definitely open to being wrong. it's just such a pet peeve of mine that so many AAA titles suffer from story bloat or inconsistent, 'that would be cool' setpieces (like the friggin' zombies in the first uncharted)

in a lot of ways i think AAA titles have too big of a budget! despite how awesome stuff sounds, or how great a storyboard looks in preproduction, it's always the compromise that's usually inherent in the process of actually making the thing that results in creativity. see: the practical effects in John Carpenter's The Thing vs the CGI remake out right now. (i'm getting this from moviebob's show in the escapist.) in the new one, they didn't have to compensate for all the armature and operator space that they needed for the alien, so they just have these boring shots with an alien charging down the hallway in full view; it just takes all of the mystery and suspense away, because there's a monster in full view, and he looks silly because he's made of computer.

again, i'm not saying that these aren't fun things. they're just sloppy.

• Options
    Actually reports and set photos have shown that there were a ton of practical alien effects in the Thing remake that the director intended to do, but the studio interfered and cut most of the scenes and demanded CGI

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    to be fair

a lot of the mistakes in the thing prequel were because of studio meddling

I'm not going to defend it entirely, it was a little bit of a misguided venture

but there were some good bits cut, and bad bits added

• Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    I think right now the setting is my biggest concern. Modern games have made me associate favela scenes with military shooters. I'm having a really hard time believing they can create a convincing noir story in a setting like that.

Also, I really don't like his shaved head. It makes him look more like a generic action hero. If they needed to age him up they could have stuck with that look in the trailer where he's got the week-old beard. It makes him look worn out and grizzled without destroying the classic Max look.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Bad CGI in a film, or more accurately the misuse of CGI, is a real dealbreaker for me

Practical effects forever

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Also yes I do agree that the apparent change in tone is a bit worrying

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    It worried me a lot initially, but I suspect that Rockstar are leaning into the disparity for design and story purposes, and not just doing it for the hella.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote:
    Bad CGI in a film, or more accurately the misuse of CGI, is a real dealbreaker for me

Practical effects forever

Except in Sci-Fi channel original movies.

Sometimes a man wants to gorge on the worst CGI.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    If I remember correctly, Brazil only happens half way through Max Payne 3. The first half is all New York.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Boardwalk Empire has some of the best CG or whatever stuff I've seen in a long ass time. It's really well done and doesn't distract me at all.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Darric wrote:
    I like to believe that joshofalltrades wasn't saying it like it was a bad thing.

Nah, it's lighthearted ribbing, really

But I really wasn't joking about the dream sequences, not only were they overly long and annoying, the fact that you can die in real life by falling down an invisible bottomless pit if you slip up at all in your dream made no goddamn sense

And they got in the way of me jumping back and forth, guns blazing

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm really surprised Max got through the very first level of his game without a dislocated shoulder, in retrospect

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Mysst wrote:
    the technology is staggering

this is the clincher for me, though; the only thing the games industry seems to have learned from actual noir is the stylistic trappings and not any of what makes it interesting

SHRUG

dude have you read the Yiddish Policeman's Union? I'm about halfway through it and it's goddamned amazing

fucking love that book. I reread it at least once a year, possibly more.

gotta say, that video with the animations has put this game back on my list. Loved the first two but I wasn't sure about this one until now.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I don't like fat Max.

Nossir, not at all.

But damn, those animations are gorgeous.

EDIT: For some cheap games in the vein of Max Payne's shooting, check out Stranglehold and Wanted: Weapons of Fate.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Stranglehold is good for approximately the first two hours.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Darric wrote:

Max Payne 1 and 2 are two of the finest games ever made, let's make that clear upfront.

no

they have their charm but holey shit are they flawed in a ton of ways

• Options
    All the best games are.

• Options
    No they arent

• Options
    Yeah, you're probably right.

• Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    There's really no such thing as a "perfect game". And usually, what people like and dislike is totally subjective. Sure Max Payne had its flaws but name one game that doesn't have flaws?