As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skyrim: Make sure to inspect the smell of your children’s finger nails on a daily basis.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    the main storyline is fairly short

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I think I fucked myself getting the unusual gems (also incredibly minor spoilers for early-mid main quest)
    used the console to get into the thalmor embassy, because fuck doing however many hours of main quest for that one gem

apparently that set elisif, the queen, to be at the party, and now all her dialogue is about how great the wine is etc.

I can't find anyone who wants to sell me the house in solitude, which means I have 23/24 gems

ideas? solve it with the console? who's actually supposed to be the steward? the wiki just uses "the steward" throughout, guessing it has to do with the steward being replaceable and such

I've done wolfskull cave and another thing, so it should be good to go

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Do you have a save from before? It could be easier just to reload. Or... If you focus on doing the main quest and just fast travel everywhere you get into that embassy pretty fast. Maybe finishing the quest would fix her?

seriously if you buckle down and do it, depending where you are, it'd take like half an hour

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    haven't started it whatsoever

plus not having dragons come to fuck with me every twenty minutes is kind of relaxing

e: what I'm mainly wondering now is if it's genuinely bugged or the steward is just off somewhere, Radiant AI-ing into a corner

is it supposed to be falk firebeard?

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    KetBra wrote:
    Ledneh wrote:
    Bleh I can't seem to get through the early game on the pure mage without turning difficulty down below Adept, which offends me

Oh well back to the drawing board :(

I've been going through the first bit as a pure mage at master level, so it is possible, definitely. You just need to either take conjuration or illusion and not just go pure destro
    I guess at least part of the problem is that that mage has been through The Caller step of the mage college and up to ascending the steps in the main quest, yet he's only level 8 when other characters would have been... 12,13 by now?

How the hell does spellcasting as a whole level so fuckin slow? Cripes.

And of course the fact that three or four dual-casted firebolts and my magicka is toast :(

Ledneh on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    well, on my thief character I've gotten up to the point where you plan for the embassy and I've only found dragons that I went looking for. The part that will take the longest is walking up to High Hrothgar and going through Ustengrav, but even then it's not terrible. Dunno if it'll fix her or not but it's up to you if you wanna try.

The Jarl is supposed to offer you the house at this point, by the way.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Wren wrote:
    "oh boy a unique weapon!"

and it has worse damage than a basic iron dagger. and you can't upgrade it. why did they even bother with these?

What weapon can't be upgraded? Don't think I've seen any. Unless you're a scrub who can't fix up enchanted weapons yet.

Usually I do everything on one character with these games, but I think I'll skip Dark Brotherhood this time then make a Dark necromage stormcloak after I finish this run. Part to do magicking, and part so I'm not completely repeating myself.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Scooter wrote:
    Wren wrote:

and it has worse damage than a basic iron dagger. and you can't upgrade it. why did they even bother with these?

What weapon can't be upgraded? Don't think I've seen any. Unless you're a scrub who can't fix up enchanted weapons yet.

Usually I do everything on one character with these games, but I think I'll skip Dark Brotherhood this time then make a Dark necromage stormcloak after I finish this run. Part to do magicking, and part so I'm not completely repeating myself.

They're out there. I've found upgraded ancient nordic weapons like the Supple Ancient Nordic Bow that just don't show up in the upgrade menu on the sharpening stone.

also you can do the one where you destroy the dark brotherhood on this character and then play the regular storyline on the next

freakish light on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    maybe its a bug then because every unique weapon I've found hasn't showed up at the grinding stone

armor I haven't had any trouble with

not that I've found any unique two handed swords anyways, which is all I use

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    do you have the thing that lets you improve magical weapons?

• Options
    they'll still show up, it'll just say "you lack the required skill to upgrade enchanted weapons" or some such

• Options
    TheStig wrote:
    do you have the thing that lets you improve magical weapons?

yes

tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    wuuthrad seems a little lackluster

i mean, my skyforge steel greataxe outdamages it

i guess it has a way high capacity for enchants though, now i just need to get that to 100

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Do items even have varying enchantment capacities in Skyrim?

I'm pretty sure cheap and expensive rings, for example, can hold exactly the same enchantments.

broken image link
  • Options
    Scooter wrote:
    Wren wrote:

They're out there. I've found upgraded ancient nordic weapons like the Supple Ancient Nordic Bow that just don't show up in the upgrade menu on the sharpening stone.

also you can do the one where you destroy the dark brotherhood on this character and then play the regular storyline on the next

Is there an actual quest for that, or do you just mean doing an intro then killing everyone I see?

Could be I haven't done much with unique weapons, Wuuthad I only had long enough to run over to the tomb with. I know I've upgraded Molag Bal's mace, it's my main melee weapon.

• Options
    I tried setting the quest to not begin, but all that does is bring the main quest up to just before that point

looks like I'll have to do it manually, plus go through wolf skull cave again

the placement seems a little careless to me on some of these gems because
    you have to join the mages' guild, buy the house in solitude, do the main quest until the thalmor embassy, and join the dark brotherhood to get all of them

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Beasteh wrote:
    wuuthrad seems a little lackluster

i mean, my skyforge steel greataxe outdamages it

i guess it has a way high capacity for enchants though, now i just need to get that to 100

plus you know if you ever have to fight any elves, they're fucked.

funny thought improving it though "Oh so this is the axe of your heroic and legendary founder right? Could be about.. 20% cooler. Give me a second and some steel"

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    yeah, adding it with the console didn't help either, just gave me a duplicate of a gem I already have

unless that means every gem has its own item code, which would explain why I have 24 undroppable identical items cluttering up my inventory

oh well, at least wolf skull cave is a really cool dungeon

e: it looks like the unusual gems work in a really weird way because even the test area doesn't have more than one

maybe actually taking the quest and finding out what they are turns the ones that are in the world into separate stones of barenziah, but it also seems like finding out would take longer than doing the main quest

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    the elves text is just flavor

also

mXXzF.jpg

• Options
    I'm not so sure about that. silver weapons do extra damage against undead

tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    i've read 3 different articles saying the text is just there for flavor and does absolutely nothing

also enchants overwrite it

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote:
    is there anything more satisfying than trapping a thalmor's soul?

I posit "maybe, but I don't care because I'm stealing all these fucking elf souls right now"

have you done the diplomat mission yet?
    I snuck through the whole mission, only killing the end people that you are forced to fight. Everyone else, I snuck up close enough to steal everything they were wearing and leave them naked.

felt

good

I ended the mission with a huge pile of thalmor uniforms, and a complete collection of their self worth as Altmer. It was delicious.
    wc1Rx.jpg
    AZyil.jpg
    Cach0.jpg
    obkXE.jpg

• Options
    I almost completely stealthed that mission, but I needed invisibility potions to do it, which meant I couldn't sneak past one mage right at a door because zoning makes the potion wear off first apparently. :\

• Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    stormcloak warpaint owns

it also makes you look like you're on your way to a football game

VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    that diplomat mission, how the heck were you supposed to get past that dickass wizard chilling up against the door?

tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    I'm curious, do you fellows on the PC prefer using a (360?) controller or KB&M

I keep leaning toward the gamepad personally

• Options
    Scooter wrote:
    I almost completely stealthed that mission, but I needed invisibility potions to do it, which meant I couldn't sneak past one mage right at a door because zoning makes the potion wear off first apparently. :\

snuck by that guy 8-) didn't use any invisibility potions during the mission

• Options
    I use a keyboard and mouse

• Options
    so theres a mod that removes the clouds from the world map. thank fucking god. it was my belief it was just a fancier and more pleasing method of replicating a normal cloth map. so why obscure basic land features with clouds? maps don't do that!

tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    doing that mission without being detected and stealing everyone's clothes might be the highlight of the game for me.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Wren wrote:
    that diplomat mission, how the heck were you supposed to get past that dickass wizard chilling up against the door?

I fired an arrow at the wall opposite and he wandered off to have a look.

• Options
    that wasn't working for me, they weren't responding, so I creeeeepppppt around a corner and snuck into the door basically by ghosting around him.

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Is the door a door or a load screen?

If it's a load screen I imagine you can just do stealth rolls up to it real fast and load before the full notice.

• Options
    after stealing his robes of course.

• Options
    i just did a radiant companions quest at level 20 with my orc death knight

at the end of a falmer cave it opened into a dwemer ruin minisection

with a boss gloomlurker and a centurion D:

so i had to dodge the falmers spells and the centurions steam (which did over 50% of my hp) while chugging potions

my reward was 150 gold

not cool, game

• Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Arang wrote:
    I tried setting the quest to not begin, but all that does is bring the main quest up to just before that point

looks like I'll have to do it manually, plus go through wolf skull cave again

the placement seems a little careless to me on some of these gems because
    you have to join the mages' guild, buy the house in solitude, do the main quest until the thalmor embassy, and join the dark brotherhood to get all of them
    Falk Firebeard is the Steward of Solitude.
    You don't have to join the Dark Brotherhood. There's another, much shorter, quest line that'll get you into the sanctuary.
    I'm not sure you have to join the Mages' Guild either, just have to cast the 1st spell to get in?

How did you go about getting into the embassy, selecting the gate and using the "unlock" console command?

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    you don't even have to cast a spell to get into the mage college, you can just shout at her.

• Options
  • Options
    Langly wrote:
    you don't even have to cast a spell to get into the mage college, you can just shout at her.

so it's like real college?

• Options
    TheStig wrote:
    Langly wrote:

so it's like real college?

yes exactly

it's for the immersion.

This discussion has been closed.