As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Flipping tables throughout history.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    I hate and love that that second video is the closest we'll probably get to a Nine and Ten interaction
    it works shockingly well

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    he's got this like scary intensity when he's mad that makes me go all noo daddy don't be angry like I am four years old

which I don't really enjoy

but am super impressed that it happens

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    When you realise that he's the incarnation that was most heavily involved in the Time War, as far as we know, it adds so much to his raw intensity as the Doctor.

Like some moments you think how could this guy be a destroyer of worlds and saviour of races across the universe

And other times you can truly believe he's the sort of mad man who would burn two species to ash if he ultimately had to.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Dalek was the episode that really sold me on the Doctor. His ability to switch intensely from Jovial savior to enraged tormentor conveys the complexity of the DOctor.

I like Matt Smith more only for his ability to feel like an ancient old man in a youthful body like no other.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Eccleston not coming back for the 50th is a damn shame.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    why is it that he's so staunchly against coming back, anyway

he's done thor and gi joe movies, he was in heroes briefly, obviously he doesn't have a problem with nerd shit

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I believe it's because he and the BBC did not get along, at least with the senior staff involved with the show and the politics that came with it.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Yeah its part that he didn't like the culture of the DOctor Who staff.

But also I remember hearing that the reason he didn't come back to Heroes is because he doesn't like to go back to previous projects.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Yeah its part that he didn't like the culture of the DOctor Who staff.

But also I remember hearing that the reason he didn't come back to Heroes is because he doesn't like to go back to previous projects.

"Never wash in the same river twice" is the phrase he used, I believe. A shame, but understandable.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I didn't like 9's outfit at first because while I didn't know much about Doctor Who I knew the Doctor was supposed to dress flamboyantly. But I think his normalish clothes and hair are part of way I love nine so much: they counterbalanced the wackiness of the show and the character. Also it makes since that the character wouldn't be in the mood for fun clothes after the giant trauma he just went through.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Is it weird that, while I think Smith has been the best Doctor so far, Eccleston and Tennant are my first and second favorites respectively?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    apparently eccleston did some talking with the doctor who people back in march to talk about coming back for the 50th anniversary at least

still decided to not come back though

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Tennant is still my favorite, followed by Eccleston, and Smith is a far third.

I just don't like him. I think the Ponds tainted him for me, as even after they were gone I just, I dunno.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    When you realise that he's the incarnation that was most heavily involved in the Time War, as far as we know, it adds so much to his raw intensity as the Doctor.

Like some moments you think how could this guy be a destroyer of worlds and saviour of races across the universe

And other times you can truly believe he's the sort of mad man who would burn two species to ash if he ultimately had to.

Wasn't his entrance to the show him getting a feel for his new features post-regeneration?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »

Wasn't his entrance to the show him getting a feel for his new features post-regeneration?

Well he looks at his reflection and feels his face like he's never seen it, but he's had that form long enough to save those people from the Titanic and there must have been a mirror around somewhere back then

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Well he looks at his reflection and feels his face like he's never seen it, but he's had that form long enough to save those people from the Titanic and there must have been a mirror around somewhere back then

Fair point!

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Fair point!

It's also possible those photographs were from future adventures, and Rose knew to stay out of them because she'd seen them.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    It could also be in the indeterminate amount of time between when Nine asks Rose to come with him, and when he tells her "did I mention? it travels in time"

like "did you want to come with me? no? alright..." titanic, 1776, etc., "oh, i should tell her it travels in time"

• Options
    could he not have visited the titanic in one of his other incarnations

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »

They have a picture of him with a family he saved, if I remember correctly.

• Options
    Seriously wrote: »

Sure but it's a photo of Eccleston in appropriate period garb, so

• Options
    edited June 2013
    edit: damn forums

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    the lady cassandra grosses me the fuck out

I know she's supposed to

but it's worse than I think was intended

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    "The Web Planet" was awesome. (Minor spoilers for a 48-year-old TV serial follow.)
    FIVE new aliens, which is even more than "The End of The World" had if you allow for inflation. Epic story about aliens reclaiming their home world from a sinister invader. Beautiful, really ambitious sets. And the costumes! Faaaaaabulous! Plus the actors really sell how alien they are. My only complaint is that they never resolve where the heck the Animus came from. Was it a native of the planet or an alien invader? Also, Barbara saved everyone's butts at the last minute and they never even said thank you.

I love Daleks as much as the next person, but if I'm trying to sell someone on watching First Doctor stories this is the one I'll show them.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Niall! HAAPY BIRTHDATE.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Thanks Blake! Let us celebrate with
    DRUUUUUUUUUUUGS
    tumblr_lv8wl4urXo1qb34nxo1_500.jpg

Butler on
  • Options
    Speaking of One, I recently rewatched The Time Meddler. The Doctor and the Monk play off each other so well. It also features one of my favourite One facial expressions:

tumblr_m952auZOo61qcwhkeo1_400.gif

And happy birthday, Buttsler. I was going to go through the whole "Your name is Niall? I work with a guy named Niall!" routine, but I'm reliably informed that I already did that three years ago.

• Options
    Haha that's an amazing gif. Hartnell was such a good actor, and like Matt Smith he really was The Doctor. If you ever watch/read behind-the-scenes stuff, he'd been frustrated and typecast with the roles he got his entire life until he landed the part of The Doctor. It was really his dream role, and it was great that such a talented man finally got to spread his wings for the last few years of his career.

• Options
    I love how damn passionate he was about it, too. I remember one little kid who sent in a letter addressed to Dr. Who asking about what the different controls on the console did. And Hartnell, who'd been making an effort to keep his use of certain controls consistent between stories, wrote back and told him. And then he signed the letter as Dr. Who.

The footage of him doing public appearances as the Doctor is amazing, too, because... exactly yes, he was the Doctor.

Also awesome is how he was apparently quite conservative, and in spite of that, when he was confronted by a series produced by a woman and whose first story was directed by an Indian dude, he basically went "Fuck it" and just went straight for it.

• Options
    Barbara is a tremendous female role model too, especially for 60s TV. She didn't have Ian's (never explained) prodigious hand-to-hand combat skills, she just kept a cool head and got shit done.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Thanks Blake! Let us celebrate with
    DRUUUUUUUUUUUGS
    tumblr_lv8wl4urXo1qb34nxo1_500.jpg

Your birthday is today too, Butler?

WE CAN BE BIRTHDAY BROS!!

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Her occasional smackdowns of the Doctor were always a delight. I think The Edge of Destruction had the best one. I'll have to track down the exact quote later, but she just went in for the kill.

The way she stood up to the Doctor and the Aztecs was pretty boss, too. She would probably be close to being the strongest female character in the series' history.

• Options
    Here's a crazy thought. What if John Hurt Doctor doesn't come after Eleven or in between Eight and Nine... but predates One?

Of course it's a crazy thought because you don't go from being that war-weary guy to a doddery old academic who nearly gets people killed on his first adventures because he can't extricate himself from dangerous situations. But still, it blew my mind for a few seconds when it occurred to me.

• Options
    Given the wording used in The Name of the Doctor, I think Hurt is post-One. He must have already been known as the Doctor because he was the one who broke the promise.

• Options
  • Options
    So apparently this is the next Doctor?

I'm a bit underwhelmed if this is true.

• Options
    Well he hasn't accepted yet.

He's the same age Tennant was when he started, even though he may look older, so there's that. I could definitely see him working in the role. I'm just disappointed they played it so safe.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    when i read james bond i was sure that link was going to be about ben whishaw

• Options
    My first thought was Timothy Dalton.

• Options
    He already played Rassilon though.

This discussion has been closed.