As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castle Phalla (IX): Fifth Night - ******* *******

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Elegant in its simplicity, brilliant in its execution, undeniable in its impact. :lol:

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    D :

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    werehippy wrote: »
    If tradition holds, there's goign to be a days worth of general bullshitting, then we'll dogpile someone for something they say as the deadline gets closer. It's not great, but who are we to argue with tradition :)
    I like the oDaM phalla's version better than tradition. That's where we kill 2 villains and have the vigilante and guardian in a network by the end of night 1.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    If tradition holds, there's goign to be a days worth of general bullshitting, then we'll dogpile someone for something they say as the deadline gets closer. It's not great, but who are we to argue with tradition :)
    I like the oDaM phalla's version better than tradition. That's where we kill 2 villains and have the vigilante and guardian in a network by the end of night 1.

Well, this is a much smaller game and by night 2 the rogues knew who the vigilante was anyhow.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

oDaM? I missed the first three Phalla, but did that ever actually happen? If so, who was involved and how the hell did that work? I'm not worthy of playing in a game where someone managed that, I already feel inadequate trying to outwit elJeffe, Shinto, and Aroduc or figure out if they're outwitting me.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

oDaM? I missed the first three Phalla, but did that ever actually happen? If so, who was involved and how the hell did that work? I'm not worthy of playing in a game where someone managed that, I already feel inadequate trying to outwit elJeffe, Shinto, and Aroduc.

It is going on right now in the Of Dice and Men forum.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »

oDaM? I missed the first three Phalla, but did that ever actually happen? If so, who was involved and how the hell did that work? I'm not worthy of playing in a game where someone managed that, I already feel inadequate trying to outwit elJeffe, Shinto, and Aroduc.

It is going on right now in the Of Dice and Men forum.

No shit? I'll stick my head in and check it out, because that really is insane.

werehippy on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Cantide wrote: »
    Richy wrote:
    lets assassinate Elendil

I've deciphered your code, fiend.
    I knew it!

Besides, look at the PM he sent me:
    Richy wrote:
    EmNissassa

Elendil on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ooo a wraith, how the heck are you suppose to stake one of those?

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    precisionk wrote: »
    Scooby Doo style?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    Cantide wrote: »
    Richy wrote:
    lets assassinate Elendil

I've deciphered your code, fiend.
    I knew it!

Besides, look at the PM he sent me:
    Richy wrote:
    EmNissassa

Why don't you tell them about the reply you sent me:
    Elendil wrote:
    No, Elbonian Man isn't an assassin. I know, because all the assassins know each other from the start, and SINCE I, ELENDIL, AM AN ASSASSIN, I know that he's not one.

Here's the deal I propose: let's stake Elendil on the first night, and if he's not an assassin, I'll vote for myself, provided that no one else votes for me. So you have a choice: stake me, the guy who's trying to help the castle by exposing an assassin and who's willing to vote for himself if he's wrong, or stake Elendil the assassin.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    oh shits

I mean, this was all just a clever trap and Richy has taken the bait.

RICHY IS EVIL

Elendil on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Scooby Doo style?

First thing we need to do is check the Haunted Amusement Park.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Scooby Doo style?

We're already in a castle with a Wraith in it. We're good to go.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Scooby Doo style?

This must be a big castle. Our best bet would be to look for Old Man -insert generic name here- and tie him up. It's always that guy.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Scooby Doo style?

This must be a big castle. Our best bet would be to look for Old Man -insert generic name here- and tie him up. It's always that guy.

You think we should split up and look for clues?

werehippy on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zoinks!

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Scooby Doo style?

You think we should split up and look for clues?

Ok Hippy, you go off alone down that dark corridor while Grimmy, myself, & precisionk check this well-lit ballroom.

Godspeed.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am here. I do not presently have an opinion on who to stake. Carry on carrying on.

VishNub on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    My course of action is thus clear: start the dogpile. I know we established last game that the bad guys tend to hang back, so my only real clue is to take someone that hasn't checked in yet. We've had enough check-ins to narrow the field at least a bit.

Lessee.... who's yet to show up... Skippydumptruck? I dunno. I !vote for Skippydumptruck so we can kick-start something, anything. I'm bored and forgot who the Best Picture nominees are because this year sucked so much that fucking Borat got nominated for something.

Whoa whoa. I'm here, I'm checking in!
    innocentaj3.jpg

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    visiblehowl, reporting in.

Didn't Cass reveal at some point that there would be 4 assassins?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

All right, precisionk is taking Glael's spot.

Saburbia should be sending roles out to account for four bad-guys, special roles, etc.

It would indeed seem she did.

Smasher on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Better get the proton packs out fellas.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Or maybe you got 3 names in your pm? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

tofu on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    tofu wrote: »

Ye olde plotte thickenens!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My course of action is thus clear: start the dogpile. I know we established last game that the bad guys tend to hang back, so my only real clue is to take someone that hasn't checked in yet. We've had enough check-ins to narrow the field at least a bit.

Lessee.... who's yet to show up... Skippydumptruck? I dunno. I !vote for Skippydumptruck so we can kick-start something, anything. I'm bored and forgot who the Best Picture nominees are because this year sucked so much that fucking Borat got nominated for something.

Whoa whoa. I'm here, I'm checking in!
    innocentaj3.jpg
    Not when I cared, you didn't.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

O_o

Because the smartest thing a monster could do is draw attention to its numbers...

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    That means we have 11 specials/assassins in a group of 32 players (4 assassins, 3 servants, 1 seer, 1 guardian, 1 vigilante, 1 wraith). If the nobles, assassins and vigilante kill every night we'll be averaging one special/assassin/wraith kill per day at least. That's not including whatever wacky powers the wraith and those items have.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah but theres a >50% chance that we'll hit the wrong ones (assuming, that is, that we only want to kill the assassins).

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    You make me sad.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You make me sad.
    But does death by stabbing not lead to the eternal bliss?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2007

O_o

Because the smartest thing a monster could do is draw attention to its numbers...

To be fair, I spent an entire game pushing the idea that there were fewer monsters than there really were. :P

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Jeeze, woe upone those that anger'd ye olde mtv. Who nexte shall ye chuse?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    That means we have 11 specials/assassins in a group of 32 players (4 assassins, 3 servants, 1 seer, 1 guardian, 1 vigilante, 1 wraith). If the nobles, assassins and vigilante kill every night we'll be averaging one special/assassin/wraith kill per day at least. That's not including whatever wacky powers the wraith and those items have.

It's worth noting, for those who haven't been monsters or specials, that we can almost certainly count on the vote to be ineffective the first few days. There's no evidence to build a case against a monster, and the ability of a group of people working together to deflect the vote can't be underestimated.

Without anything to work on, and assuming a competent group of monsters, we shouldn't count that random luck is going to play in our favor at all for now.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Well, since I was just poisoned in VisibleHowl's Phalla, I can devote all my time to this one.

I was doing so well too. :x

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Single-minded pursuit of a vendetta based on a random choice seems suspicious to me, so I'm going to say I !vote for mtvcdm. If you're an assassin what better way to divert attention by being the first to accuse? And if you're a noble. . . well, let me know how that eternal bliss is.
    Bad guys will also make sure that day 1's 'random' dogpile is pointed away from themselves.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Oh I wasn't trying to imply that getting a non-Noble kill was a good thing by any stretch. I was simply commenting on the kind of chaos that this game could create. Especially the neutral ghost and x-factor items. Maybe not Dyna level craziness, but certainly a lot going on every turn.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

It's worth noting, for those who haven't been monsters or specials, that we can almost certainly count on the vote to be ineffective the first few days. There's no evidence to build a case against a monster, and the ability of a group of people working together to deflect the vote can't be underestimated.

Without anything to work on, and assuming a competent group of monsters, we shouldn't count that random luck is going to play in our favor at all for now.
    Which is why I picked someone in a manner I was confident would be totally random- or alternatively, use the only manner I have been told is better than random chance at picking a bad guy out of a random crowd.

Bad guys hang back (until you go after them for hanging back, of course).

Bad guys will also make sure that day 1's 'random' dogpile is pointed away from themselves. So I figure a 'pile on whoever hasn't shown up in the first hour' is better than 'let the assassins start the dogpile'.

Gosling on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you're an assassin what better way to divert attention by being the first to accuse? And if you're a noble. . . well, let me know how that eternal bliss is.

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Which is why I picked someone in a manner I was confident would be totally random- or alternatively, use the only manner I have been told is better than random chance at picking a bad guy out of a random crowd.

Bad guys hang back (until you go after them for hanging back, of course).

Bad guys will also make sure that day 1's 'random' dogpile is pointed away from themselves. So I figure a 'pile on whoever hasn't shown up in the first hour' is better than 'let the assassins start the dogpile'.

While I've got no particular feelings about how the first day's vote (and possibly even the second day's) simply because it's all such a crap shoot and it's so likely to be futile, I do want to point out one thing.

We should stay open to the fact that the 'bad guys stay hidden' mentality is an old idea, and we have to realize that it's not going to hold true for much longer, if it even does now. It's not like the monster's don't know exactly the same things we do, so at this point they'd have to be a bit slow to be obviously inactive. Which starts the infinite loop of "They know we know they know".

So basically I'm not actually adding anything useful, accept the fact we can't count on anything we think we can count on.

werehippy on
This discussion has been closed.