Options

Christmas is awesome and I don't want to hear goddamn otherwise.

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited December 2011 in Social Entropy++
Christmas is, of course, the most wonderful time of the year. It is when we all gather as a species, and we throw all pretense out the window and embrace our humanity by giving into our love of stuff. Whether it be giving or receiving, we spend the whole month just indulging in materialism. You think this is cynical sarcasm, but fuck you. Stuff is awesome. You give stuff to people to make them happy. You can get stuff and kill some time with it. Let's just enjoy stuff and quit worrying about it for this one time in the whole year. So let's gather 'round, and enjoy this magical season. Together.

Here are some things we can enjoy!

DECORATIONS!
tzdvQ.jpg
Make your house pretty as can be with little lights and wreaths. Put up a big, phony tree because real trees are horrible and the cat keeps drinking the water. A bit of class is required. Those plastic Santas will invite nothing but scorn from the neighbors, and don't get me started on those inflatable things. Just remember that you have like three days after Janurary 1st to take the crap down. Christmas is over, and you just toughen up and soldier on.

FOOD!
YsJoJ.jpg
Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and we do that by restricting certain things to HOLIDAY SEASON ONLY. It's a law. You will be arrested for consuming certain pies after New Year's. So make cookies and pies. Bake a lot of crap with red and green on it. This is also a good excuse to cook a lot of hams and turkeys, so take advantage of that. Maybe invent some kind of Christmas burger. I guess maybe a venison burger would be appropriate?

SONGS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjFQpwE3cqE
Okay, a lot of Christmas songs suck, but there's still some good stuff out here. I might be literally gay for Burl Ives, so he'll never get old to me. Limit your stay at malls, stores and certain radio stations or you'll die of overexposure or something. Swap your favorite songs of the season here.

FILMS!
OaWsp.jpg
There's plenty of good Christmas films. I'm not just referring to that tired bit where we yell "DIE HARD" and laugh at how witty we think we are. We're not, so stop it. Die Hard is a year-round treasure, you monsters. Scrooged is pretty good, and apparently there is actually a film IN THEATERS about Christmas that doesn't suck! It's by the same people that did Wallace and Gromit, so you may want to check that out. I can't remember the last the theaters had a good Christmas movie, so there's a rare treat. I'm also lumping specials in here, so get your fill of Grinches and shitty Christmas trees.

So go, and be festive and spread good will toward man and all that. Report any visits by three spirits and/or wingless guardian angels.

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    The best christmas I had was the one where I stayed up all night drink alone on the internet contemplating suicide.

It just gets better every year.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    TOKYO GODFATHERS

put it in the OP

Also I need ideas for simple things I can do with my friends for the holiday because I will be spending Christmas day with my friends as opposed to family but we can't afford presents or to put together nice meals. But we wanna like, try, ya know?

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    fuck your holiday I want no part of it

B A H

H U M B U G

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Christmas is the best. It's so good that other holidays have to send agents out to sow hatred amongst the revelers.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Seriously wrote:
    fuck your holiday I want no part of it

B A H

H U M B U G

I look forward to the traditional tube infractions at the end of this month.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    This year's xmas is gonna be spent playing the fuck out of some video games. At work I have 4 days off, 3 days on, then 4 more days off. I am gonna be gross as fuck by the end of it

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Isn't that a Krampus in your sig

conflicting messages

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I am an agent of Boxing Day

soon...

soon

• Options
    Krampus punishes the bad boys and girls such as Seriously.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKk9rv2hUfA

TAKE THAT YOU GODLESS HEATHENS AND YOUR PAGAN SOLSTICE BULLSHIT

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
  • Options
    Every christmas I am reminded that my mom always went into a little bit more debt so that we could always do something special and have a big meal and my brother and I would have a couple of good presents

Whenever we spend christmas with some family friends there are always kids getting showered with presents

finding some way to be ungrateful and dismissive of them.

Fuck this gay holiday.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    This is one of the best parts of being a professional student. I have about a week and a half off before the holidays, and a few days after the new year before the next semester starts. So about three weeks altogether. Woo

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I fucking love Christmas and I am seriously sick of the implication that I don't care about people's modes of worship

I am thankful for my family

I am thankful for their understanding

I am thankful that I grew up in a pluralistic society

that is all

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Christmas is bothering me this year, I would like it to hurry up and be over already so that some super-important stuff can happen in like a month and some days.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Christmas fucking rocks.

Christmas music fucking sucks.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Yeah I am selling most of my games and consoles so I can give my wife a good Xmas this year. The last two were spent in a sandbox and although were kinda broke right now, I refuse to let this shit go by without giving her what she deserves. That being said, I'm gonna hock my shit in my signature soon, so maybe you young lads can buy yourself some AAA titles at half the price!

Yay Xmas.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    I used to like the build-up to Christmas. But now it just sneaks up on me. Part of it, I think is going home on the 24th so it's more, "Hey it's Christm--oh there went Christmas."

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote:
    Christmas fucking rocks.

Nah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbUeK1PP7-s

• Options
    Fyndir wrote:
    Christmas is bothering me this year, I would like it to hurry up and be over already so that some super-important stuff can happen in like a month and some days.
    Who sent you?

Was it Valentine's?

Was it St. Swithin's Day?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SLyM wrote:
    Christmas fucking rocks.

My part time job being in a department store, I absolutely agree with you.

If I hear one more version of that godawful "last christmas I gave you my heart" song I swear to god I am going to sabotage the sound system there.

• Options
    Dys wrote:
    If I hear one more version of that godawful "last christmas I gave you my heart" song I swear to god I am going to sabotage the sound system there.
    I hate the song so much.

Up there with the goddamn Christmas Shoes.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Fyndir wrote:
    Who sent you?

Was it Valentine's?

It was St. Gabriel's Day.

Go all St. Barbara's Day on his ass.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Fyndir wrote:
    Who sent you?

Was it Valentine's?

Don't worry, I'm still happy about Christmas, I might be getting a chance to really stretch myself and try to make a perfect beef wellington for the family, I'm just much more excited about stuff that's happening in January.
    It was St. Andrew, he says hi.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Don't forget this.
    It's worth listening to for the buildup. If you want the "good" stuff, skip to 2:00 in. :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OQX2fSBo2Q

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Dys wrote:
    I hate the song so much.

I have heard 3 different versions of this song, all sung by similar-sounding women.

It is driving me insane, hearing the same damn chorus repeated about five or six times consecutively for each (I think that's right, I'm annoyed and trying not to pay attention by the time it ends).

• Options
    Dys wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Dys wrote:
    I hate the song so much.

I have heard 3 different versions of this song, all sung by similar-sounding women.

It is driving me insane, hearing the same damn chorus repeated about five or six times consecutively for each (I think that's right, I'm annoyed and trying not to pay attention by the time it ends).
    I did not even realize there were female versions until last year. I've just heard a male-sung version every year.

And I think it's JUST the chorus. The song is just the title repeated for three minutes or whatever.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    What if

You're jewish

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Christmas is for everyone

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Hooray!

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    except for the poor

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The worst part about christmas is retail. Retail makes people hate christmas.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Kadith wrote:
    except for the poor
    Everyone

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I drink scotch and watch die hard with friends every single Christmas eve so you shut your mouth. It's totally a Christmas movie.

Doesn't stop you watching it at any other time of the year now.

• Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    I probably won't celebrate much on Christmas Day. I plan on sleeping after doing a lot of traveling.
    Also I'm Jewish so lately it hasn't been too special. I like the season though!

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Dys wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Dys wrote:
    I hate the song so much.

I did not even realize there were female versions until last year. I've just heard a male-sung version every year.

And I think it's JUST the chorus. The song is just the title repeated for three minutes or whatever.

I think one of the three versions I've heard in the store might be sung by a guy, now that you say that.

The memories of that song just blend together at this point I suppose, it is played way too much.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Halloween convinced me that, to my neighbors, we are the Joneses. It started with us coming home from a weekend trip, neighbor's put up some fake webbing and a couple of their kid's pumpkins. "Hey, babe we still have a few hours of daylight, lets go to the storage yard and throw up some of our stuff since we don't have time off until next weekend". So we do. And we do Halloween BIG, so it was really a matter of choosing a fraction of the stuff we had, a lot bought and some homemade, to put up. The next two days, neighbor doubles down on everything they had. More webbing. More lights. MORE MORE MORE. It was hilarious.

So that all leads to this: I'm gonna fuck with her. I'm going to put up lights one strand at a time. Slowly. Deliberately. I have lights. I have boxes full of lights. I can draw this out. But mostly, I want to see how far this can go.

I am so Phil Hartman in Jingle All The Way.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote:
    except for the poor

tots_for_toys.jpg

Seriously, every one, every year
    Donate one, unwrapped toy because it is awesome to imagine even just one kid who didn't think they would get shit and picking out the most kick ass gift imaginable
    It is a highlight of my year to pick out what I think will make this imaginary kid the envy of his peers

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The internet is the correct place to do christmas shopping.

This year I am not going to wait til the last minute and then be like "oh darn it's too late to order stuff online"

Of course I say that every year but this year I mean it.