Options

[South Park: The Stick of Truth] Sequel announced by Ubisoft SanFran

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    So the game got me interested in watching more South Park. Then I found out they took it off of Netflix instant streaming.

Aren't all the episodes available from their website?

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    So the game got me interested in watching more South Park. Then I found out they took it off of Netflix instant streaming.

You can watch literally any episode of the show (with the exception of 1-2 taken down for censorship reasons) on SouthParkStudios.com.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    God, item selecting during combat. Why is it so terrible? Don't give me a list of every goddamn thing I have and make me scroll through all the goddamn stuff via whatever arcane sorting algorithm you thought was a good idea. You already have me on a dialog wheel. Just fucking keep me there, like you do with every other goddamn option on that wheel. Have the following potions: blue (PP), clear (status heal), green (magic/fart), red (health), yellow (revive). Include a clever icon on the potion. Drop the "oh, but you have big items and small items" nonsense, just have us pick an option and the New Kid (or whoever) pulls out a Snacky Cake or a Chipotle burrito and eats it or offers a taco in supplication. Done! That saves me having to press down on the D-Pad a million fucking times every time I want something at the bottom of the list.

WHY IS THAT LIST EVEN THERE.
    Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'm glad the game isn't challenging at all. I don't play most games for challenge, and I certainly am not playing a South Park game for it. I played this to be entertained and amused, and it succeeds admirably at that, while not at any point interfering with my enjoyment of the humor by say, forcing me to replay a battle over and over because someone thought it'd be more "fun" if it were a challenging, strategic game.

I'm perfectly happy to have my strategy-heavy RPGs and lighter-fare RPGs be separate things.
    There's a point at which combat is only there to retard your progress. To artificially inflate the length of a game. Stick of Truth is absolutely at that point.

To add insult to injury, the combat is boring.

Sure, you can skip some of it. But that's not a bonus. Now you're punishing me for not doing it.

And then you have the unskippable combat anyway, some of it gated not on how well you play it but if you can stomach sitting through it long enough to be given the option of a QTE.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Couple of observations:

Tutorials seemed pretty intuitive when played with a gamepad. Playing them afterward with keyboard and mouse was horrific. (I stuck with gamepad)

Skippable combat via scenery interaction is neat, especially since you still get spoils and XP when you trigger the event. More like this. And I hope it continues.

Blocking seems... off. Like, ignore the shields, and just go by feel? I get better results.

Farts in the overworld are great. Scenery interaction, combat skipping, unlocking secrets and new areas? Funny. Also the comments from buddies and NPCs are neat.

Farts in combat, well. It took me a while to 'get' it, but now that I do, it's pretty cool. Try a light attack into fart attack combo, it buffs damage and adds gross-out to any melee or ranged attack, as well as some debuffing stuff, though I took a perk I think that buffs ranged fart attacks, I'd need to check. Farts on their own are basically only good for the debuff/stun aspect.

Night 1 just broke me, I couldn't stop laughing and kept failing the Simple Simon sections on purpose because.... I'm such a child. Randy, you entertained me for far too long yesterday. Thank you.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

You can watch literally any episode of the show (with the exception of 1-2 taken down for censorship reasons) on SouthParkStudios.com.

I tried that but they're pretty loaded with ads. Like four 2 or 3 minute breaks each. It's nice that they're free but I'd rather just buy the dvd sets.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I tried that but they're pretty loaded with ads. Like four 2 or 3 minute breaks each. It's nice that they're free but I'd rather just buy the dvd sets.

I am pretty sure AdBlock stops them. At least it did for me last time I watched an episode on the site.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular

I am pretty sure AdBlock stops them. At least it did for me last time I watched an episode on the site.

Can I watch them on my phone? It's pretty much a rule for me that I can't watch a lot of a series if I can't watch it mobily. Unless I really like the series, like Arrow or GoT.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Every episode for free is available on South Park Studios, and if you go to the beta version of South Park Studios you can watch them on iPads/iPhones as well.

• Options

Can't use it at work and that's the only place I'd watch them.

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Anyone else can't get "Truth to Power" trophy to drop? Haven't managed to get it to work in 2 playthroughs despite the fact I'm taking special care to fart on the Minister of Canada before chatting with him.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Anyone else can't get "Truth to Power" trophy to drop? Haven't managed to get it to work in 2 playthroughs despite the fact I'm taking special care to fart on the Minister of Canada before chatting with him.

Found this on gamefaqs:
    This same thing happened to me and some other people too. This achievement is kind of glitchy, but you can fix it. What worked for me is using the "cup-a-fart" on the mayor. If you got all 4 and the ach. isn't popping, that should make it pop.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

apparently its glitchy, TrueAchievements.com has this to say.

http://www.trueachievements.com/a184909/truth-to-power-achievement.htm
    This achievement is glitchy!!!!!!

Don't worry though. It's very simple to fix. Once you fart on all them, and you still did't pop the achievement, (This happened to me) simply fart on a different person in the achievement.

For example, my last person was the Prime Minister. The achievement didn't unlock. So as soon as I farted on Mayor McDaniels, it popped.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

apparently its glitchy, TrueAchievements.com has this to say.

http://www.trueachievements.com/a184909/truth-to-power-achievement.htm
    This achievement is glitchy!!!!!!

Don't worry though. It's very simple to fix. Once you fart on all them, and you still did't pop the achievement, (This happened to me) simply fart on a different person in the achievement.

For example, my last person was the Prime Minister. The achievement didn't unlock. So as soon as I farted on Mayor McDaniels, it popped.

A guy on gamefaqs tried that and it didn't work.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I wasn't able to get that or the "interrupt a spell with a fart" achievement.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Channeling was another little aspect that kind of annoyed me. It can only be interrupted by a stun, but usually the only enemies that do a channeled attack are bosses that are immune to stuns.

Just eating the full attack afterwards generally didn't do enough damage to make it a big deal, but still.

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Thanks, guys! I will give it a go after midterms today!

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I'm not glad the combat isn't challenging, because that was clearly not the original intention.

Or if it was Obsidian employees design shit for the hell of it, implenement it and then make it inconsequential.

There's just lots of things in Stick of Truth design wise that don't make sense. Not even in itself.

Again, will be an interesting post-mortem in the future.

C2B on
  • Options
    Because it needed to be done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAHKXCdpEek

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    That's pretty badass

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    That video makes me sad because Ubisoft let them use a bunch of pre-release footage where you see the player fighting the crab people, and then cutscenes with vamp kids and giant Clyde, and none of that is in the game. =(

As soon as I saw the crab guy you can get to and then you talk to him and he says "Thanks for using your nagasaki fart to bust down that rock, now the crab people can invade" or whatever, I realized that it was content that was meant to be in the game and just had to get cut so they didn't have to delay it even further.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    That video makes me sad because Ubisoft let them use a bunch of pre-release footage where you see the player fighting the crab people, and then cutscenes with vamp kids and giant Clyde, and none of that is in the game. =(

As soon as I saw the crab guy you can get to and then you talk to him and he says "Thanks for using your nagasaki fart to bust down that rock, now the crab people can invade" or whatever, I realized that it was content that was meant to be in the game and just had to get cut so they didn't have to delay it even further.

Sometimes things get cut because they just don't work right. This isn't even close to rare, it doesn't mean they cut entire swathes out of games because they didn't want to spend another month putting it in.
    Look at the early footage of other AAA games. They always look different to the finished product, sometimes dramatically (Bioshock Infinite). It doesn't mean they cut those parts for time, they may have cut them because they didn't like them.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    klemming wrote: »

Sometimes things get cut because they just don't work right. This isn't even close to rare, it doesn't mean they cut entire swathes out of games because they didn't want to spend another month putting it in.
    Look at the early footage of other AAA games. They always look different to the finished product, sometimes dramatically (Bioshock Infinite). It doesn't mean they cut those parts for time, they may have cut them because they didn't like them.

There definitly was a design change and people weren't exactly positive about it. At least on Obsidian's side.

That's as far as actual information I have though, my own rants are sticked together from other information.

Making a statement either way is a bit of a shaky thing. Changes can be positive, but they may as well be negative.

C2B on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Aw.. I'm bummed about Giant Clyde being cut. That would have been a much better final battle.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    It certainly feels like a lot of content was cut just to get the game out after all the delays.
    I wouldn't be shocked if it was intended to be 7 days instead of 3 days. The crab people, the vampire kids and other random things like the small number of summons make me think there was a lot more content planned, but was cut because holy fuck we've already delayed this game so much and if we wait any longer people are going to ask why it's on those old consoles?

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

While that is true, it's pretty clear that the crab people, vamp kids, and giant Clyde were all meant to be in the game. Especially the crab people, since they just left one of them in there that you get to late game with the nagasaki fart just to get a chinpokomon and he's all "Thanks for busting that rock, now we're going to invade!" That wasn't there as an easter egg originally, I guarantee it.

This is a game that can be completed side quests and all in about 11 hours, and that's insanely short for an Obsidian game. And now we know that Ubisoft felt the game needed a HUGE overhaul in September 2013. That's 6 months before the game was in our hands and it was a mess?

If knowing all that you believe the final product we got was the scope that Obsidian originally wanted, then I've got some interesting land opportunities to tell you about.

• Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    It honestly makes me feel even worse for the people in Europe and Australia who got a censored version with minigames removed. The final game was already light on content and they took out even more of it? I can't blame them for importing the US version or hacking it out on PC.

I wonder if Matt and Trey are gonna read any of the places on the internet like here talking about the game. Maybe we could get a South Park episode about it! :P

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Given Obsidians' track record, Ubisoft could have said 'if you think it's ready now, we want you to do at least three months of QA/bug fixing before we let this go.'
    Not to mention that this is almost certainly doing better in sales now than it would have if it were released during the Christmas rush, where must-buy games were coming out every week.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    It certainly feels like a lot of content was cut just to get the game out after all the delays.
    I wouldn't be shocked if it was intended to be 7 days instead of 3 days. The crab people, the vampire kids and other random things like the small number of summons make me think there was a lot more content planned, but was cut because holy fuck we've already delayed this game so much and if we wait any longer people are going to ask why it's on those old consoles?

I've heard that question plenty anyway. Of course, that question comes up about literally every single game not releasing on the new consoles. It's almost like people don't get that games take time to make and further, 80-160+ million potential customers (360+PS3 alone) is a much higher number than what, 10-11 million XBO/PS4 people?

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Watching the original trailer again, I do think some of the cuts were a result of a re-write. It feels like the original was more like the LotR episode with the boys all working together, rather than the two factions we have now. It's hard to say for sure how much was cut for time vs. script changes.

That being said, there is always DLC to add some of this stuff back in. Crab people especially seem well setup for that.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Watching the original trailer again, I do think some of the cuts were a result of a re-write. It feels like the original was more like the LotR episode with the boys all working together, rather than the two factions we have now. It's hard to say for sure how much was cut for time vs. script changes.

That being said, there is always DLC to add some of this stuff back in. Crab people especially seem well setup for that.

No the two faction thing we heard about (School/Cartman fight) even before the first trailer was out.

Though there were certainly script changes.

C2B on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Oh my god. As an Aussie, I'm glad I downloaded the de-censoring patch before I got to that minigame. It was horrible, it was hard as hell, and I spent half of the time looking at the screen with my eyes half-closed as if that would somehow help, but it was also hilarious. I regret nothing.

I'm not sure how they're ever going to top the
    Giant nazi zombie fetus

in terms of innappropriateness any time soon.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Oh my god. As an Aussie, I'm glad I downloaded the de-censoring patch before I got to that minigame. It was horrible, it was hard as hell, and I spent half of the time looking at the screen with my eyes half-closed as if that would somehow help, but it was also hilarious. I regret nothing.

Giant nazi zombie fetus

Even your south park buddy says something is seriously wrong with you if you do something afterwards.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Giant nazi zombie fetus

Even your south park buddy says something is seriously wrong with you if you do something afterwards.
    It was an accident!

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Guys, you know how one of the police officers says they've got a call for a rabbit in someone's yard?

I got a call today for the police to respond to a rabbit in someone's yard.

Invisible on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I really enjoyed the game once I concentrated on the actual plot rather than the side quests. The side quests are just... there. They aren't that funny or challenging and I wish I hadn't spent so much time on them early on. Once I started doing the plot, this game was great. Really funny, lots of great touches.

I think the short running time was deliberate, the game was made to Matt and Trey's tastes and they've previously said they like a game that they have time to enjoy. I thought it was about the right length, but I'm narky that A. There's absolutely nothing to do post game B. You can be locked out of collectibles.

The difficulty wasn't a problem for me, but maybe a wasted opportunity. If you wanted a more challenging version of the combat check out the Penny Arcade Adventures* games. Someone at Obsidian had clearly been playing them, the combat in South Park is an easier cross between the Hothead and (superior) Zeboyd games. You can skip the Hothead games totally, the Zeboyd ones are much better.

*I have no stake in this whatsoever, no one gives a fuck if I recommend this game to you, I don't get money or credit. I recommend them because they're good.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It just occured to me that I never checked Chef's PO box after beating the game. Is there anything worthwhile in there to check it out post-game?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    So I was just looking at the cloth map included with the Collector's Edition. Aside from having terrible spoilers (seriously, the end game is spelled out pretty clearly on it), I noticed in the north east he has "Hell's Pass" listed as the mountain range. As far as I'm aware, this isn't actually in the game, right? NE is one of those endless forests but there doesn't seem to be an actual way through this one...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    It just occured to me that I never checked Chef's PO box after beating the game. Is there anything worthwhile in there to check it out post-game?

Pretty sure it was just a mediocre weapon strap-on. Maybe a shock damage on perfect hit.

Also you can check it out before beating the game. Chef's PO box key is available earlier, I think after going through the school the 2nd time.

hippofant on
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »

Pretty sure it was just a mediocre weapon strap-on. Maybe a shock damage on perfect hit.

Also you can check it out before beating the game. Chef's PO box key is available earlier, I think after going through the school the 2nd time.

Yeah it was disappointingly lame. Not even any good junk item references in there. It was like one weapon strap-on and I think an Afro wig.

• Options
    Lame.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg