As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWcolonTOR] Damage Thread: I find your lack of DPS disturbing.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    i am also at a decision crossroads

my agent is level 10

sniper or operative?

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    Alacrity really seems like balls.

After playing around with Sniper Volley with my Sniper for awhile, I decided that 9% alacrity means dick all and that seems actually pretty high as far as alacrity bonuses go.

It reduced the activation time on Snipe from 1.5 seconds to 1.4

Yeah, for snipers you basically just want to stack power, surge, and crit in that order. Alacrity is incredibly disappointing.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Pony wrote:
    i am also at a decision crossroads

my agent is level 10

sniper or operative?

Snipers get fuck-off-huge guns!

Also Operatives have the unfortunate distinction of not receiving their opener from stealth until the mid thirties. And they're in serious danger of being crippled by a looming pvp nerf bat.

Seriously that bat is poised to hit some vital spots and I fear my stealthy brothers may not survive. I just gave my operative a pat on the bottom and went off to level as a Sniper rather than suffer that indignity.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    alright so sniper it is then

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Operative plays exactly like a Rogue, who admittedly can also heal. (I've also heard the "Feral Druid" comment made, but my favorite part of Feral Druid was tanking so I refuse to use that phrase)

Which is actually what drove me away from the class. It seems like it can be effective, it just felt kind of bleh to play to me.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Ok so the mission is like "Choose a Crew Skill then talk to Your Trainer" and I did all of this, but it's still there

for some dumb reason, does it have to be the trainer on the Republic Fleet instead of the one I talked to on Coruscant?

I can't get back to the Fleet until I get my ship back I bet, right?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Ok so the mission is like "Choose a Crew Skill then talk to Your Trainer" and I did all of this, but it's still there

for some dumb reason, does it have to be the trainer on the Republic Fleet instead of the one I talked to on Coruscant?

Everyone gets a "Fleet Pass" which will teleport you to the fleet once a day. So you can go back. It's in the General tab of your ability book (default P ). You might also be able to get a shuttle back as well, but I'm not certain.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular

Everyone gets a "Fleet Pass" which will teleport you to the fleet once a day. So you can go back. It's in the General tab of your ability book (default P ). You might also be able to get a shuttle back as well, but I'm not certain.

You can, I did it many times before getting my ship. Just hop back into the shuttle you came onto Coruscant with.
    Also, I THINK I remember having kinda the same problem, the trainer has to be that on the fleet. Not sure, but worth a try.
    Cheers

• Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    So am I kinda correct in assuming that in PVE, the best bet for a scoundrel is to (more or less) flank around and spam the crap out of quick shot, flurry of bolts, and upper hand/pugnacity/blaster whip?

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

It's not talking about your class trainer. It's talking about the crew skills trainer (ie, the Synthweaving trainer, so you can learn some patterns).

Also, you can use shuttles to get back to the fleet. Hit the spaceport.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Raekreu wrote:
    So am I kinda correct in assuming that in PVE, the best bet for a scoundrel is to (more or less) flank around and spam the crap out of quick shot, flurry of bolts, and upper hand/pugnacity/blaster whip?

Quick shot is just an energy sink if Back Blast and Blaster Whip are on cool down for me. Right now (low twenties) I prioritize Back Blast -> Blaster Whip -> Pugnacity -> Sucker Punch -> Debilitating Shot-> Quick Shot. I noticed that as soon as I got Sucker Punch, I did a lot less Quick Shoting. Usually one of the others is up and needed and if not I'll just basic shot to keep regen up. This is all with the idea you are going dirty fighting of course. No idea on the shared tree.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    emp123 wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:

After playing around with Sniper Volley with my Sniper for awhile, I decided that 9% alacrity means dick all and that seems actually pretty high as far as alacrity bonuses go.

Yeah, for snipers you basically just want to stack power, surge, and crit in that order. Alacrity is incredibly disappointing.

All this AFTER cunning though, right?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options

You have to talk to the profession person to get the profession and then you have to talk to them again to see what patterns theyre selling teaching.
    emp123 wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:

All this AFTER cunning though, right?

Yeah, cunning, power, surge, crit. End works its way in there some place (probably after power, maybe after crit), but I wouldnt worry about losing a little cunning for a little power.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Where do you fit accuracy into that stat priority list? Is there a TOR version of WoW's hit cap?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote:
    Where do you fit accuracy into that stat priority list? Is there a TOR version of WoW's hit cap?

Accuracy over 100% actually has benefits, thankfully. I'm not sure how great they are, but they exist.

So let's all take that as an example of Bioware learning from WoW's mistakes. Such examples exist.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote:

It's not talking about your class trainer. It's talking about the crew skills trainer (ie, the Synthweaving trainer, so you can learn some patterns).

Also, you can use shuttles to get back to the fleet. Hit the spaceport.

Yeah already I went back to the Artificer and purchased a blueprint or whatever for some color crystals, but this was on Coruscant, I guess I have to talk to the Fleet one

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Okay, I am starting to get a little worried. I just finished Tatooine, including the bonus sequence, but I haven't gotten my 3rd companion yet. Did I blow it? Is it possible to miss picking another companion up?

• Options
    GONG-00 wrote:

I totally forgot about accuracy... Cunning, accuracy (up to 100%), power, accuracy (over 100%), surge, crit. Although I might trade some excess accuracy for some surge and crit.

Its kind of hard to judge these things since we dont have a combat log, but cunning is important because it improves everything, accuracy is important because if youre missing, youre not doing anything (and with talents you can be taken up to 93%, and the +accuracy stuff seems to scale pretty well), power is important because it increases the base damage of attacks (which has an effect on how hard you crit), accuracy over 100% (I think) counters the targets dodge and stuff, surge is nice since itll make you crit harder, and crit is important because criting is nice (Ive noticed the +crit stuff doesnt help too much though, I think 26ish crit is like 1% which is kind of a lot compared to the other stats and is why Im willing to give up some crit in exchange for other stats).

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    So I gave up and realized that I still suck at tanking in MMOs. So I switched out to deception spec on my SI:A instead. I was immediately much much happier. This is not a slight on SI tanking, I just personally suck at it. I like the dark embarce bonus of starting a fight in stealth. Lets you really unload at the beginning before having to watch your force consumption. So far I feel it plays a lot like my scoundrel.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    Okay, I am starting to get a little worried. I just finished Tatooine, including the bonus sequence, but I haven't gotten my 3rd companion yet. Did I blow it? Is it possible to miss picking another companion up?

Nah, your companions are coded into your story, you cant miss them. What class are you? IAs dont get their second (third after the shipbot) until they finish their class story on Alderaan.

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:

Nah, your companions are coded into your story, you cant miss them. What class are you? IAs dont get their second (third after the shipbot) until they finish their class story on Alderaan.

It looks like this is the case with the SI class as well. Which just re-emphasizes the silliness of back-loading companions. Surely there's a happier medium between "Heres all of them at level one" and "Here's your 3rd on the 6th planet"

• Options
    Decoy wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

It looks like this is the case with the SI class as well. Which just re-emphasizes the silliness of back-loading companions. Surely there's a happier medium between "Heres all of them at level one" and "Here's your 3rd on the 6th planet"

Yeah, but your leveling slows down so while theyre still backloaded, its not as bad as it seems. Thats not to say I didnt want to get rid of Kaliyo sooner, because I did. Shes a terrible tank.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    emp123 wrote:
    Yeah, but your leveling slows down so while theyre still backloaded, its not as bad as it seems. Thats not to say I didnt want to get rid of Kaliyo sooner, because I did. Shes a terrible tank.

The tank companions in general take a steep dive in the mid levels. My SW (speced dps) buddy just got his ranged tank and we were jazzed to try him out. With neither of us specced to tank it seemed like it was about to be a breakthrough in how we handled big mobs. Nope, companion tank drops like a rock.. It was a bit better when I pulled out Mako to heal him as well, but we still had better survival / time ratios with damage companions.

I really wonder why they backload any of the tanking companions when even dps spec players are easier to heal and keep up than the tanking companions by that level. At least from my experience.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Tank companions are by and large mechanically identical to one another.

Kaliyo isn't a bad tank, so much as all tank npcs are bad as you reach higher levels.

I guess they got nerfed really badly late beta, and Bioware hasn't seen fit to help them out at all again.

• Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    Good to hear it's just all tank companions. Qyzen was great early on, and I've keep him pretty well geared, always grabbing gear for him from quest rewards over commendations, but over the last 5-6 levels or so (I'm currently 38), he just can't take hits anymore. We'll engage a group of 3-4 mobs, I'll start to focus the weaker ones, and by the time I can start to dps the strong one(s), he's already eating dirt. Being a Balance specced Shadow, would I be better off gearing up Theran and just having him keep me alive, or maybe my third companion (after ship droid) for some extra dps? Or is there something I can do for Qyzen to make him better?

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote:

10% is the number thrown around on theorycrafting sites and/or people from Beta, which fits in line with the fact that Melee starts at 90% (it actually has two accuracy levels: Normal Melee Attacks have a base of 90% and Special Melee Attacks have a base of 100%). I've seen mention of 20% but that seems a bit much.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote:
    I also don't think alacrity lowers the GCD, so any less than 1.5 would be wasted any way. Alacrity is for healers in this game, specifically for sage healers, since deliverance, healing trance, and salvation all benefit nicely from it. you can tell they itemize alacrity on the healing gear, and I haven't really seen it on the other people's gear.

Alacrity lowers the GCD, but only for abilities that have a cast time to be lowered. So it will never make the GCD after an instant ability any faster, but it will make a 1.5s ability faster (with a shorter GCD to compensate).

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    Dourin wrote:
    Good to hear it's just all tank companions. Qyzen was great early on, and I've keep him pretty well geared, always grabbing gear for him from quest rewards over commendations, but over the last 5-6 levels or so (I'm currently 38), he just can't take hits anymore. We'll engage a group of 3-4 mobs, I'll start to focus the weaker ones, and by the time I can start to dps the strong one(s), he's already eating dirt. Being a Balance specced Shadow, would I be better off gearing up Theran and just having him keep me alive, or maybe my third companion (after ship droid) for some extra dps? Or is there something I can do for Qyzen to make him better?

I've had good luck with DPS companions. They don't seem to fall off in efficacy as much as tanks do. And while just soloing quests I rarely need the healing from a healing companion. I do hope the tanks get some umph put back into them. Just to tank and hold agro. It would really be my merc's dream come true.

Mechanically tanking companions should be an extra health bar for you that goes down slower or at least equal to your own, with some interesting tricks to individualize them. But if they just crumble under fire, I'd rather pseudo tank for a damage companion and kill things more quickly.

• Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    anybody DPSing as Powertech? I have a feeling I may end up tanking at level cap but I'm kinda enjoying it while leveling.

• Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote:
    Raekreu wrote:

Quick shot is just an energy sink if Back Blast and Blaster Whip are on cool down for me. Right now (low twenties) I prioritize Back Blast -> Blaster Whip -> Pugnacity -> Sucker Punch -> Debilitating Shot-> Quick Shot. I noticed that as soon as I got Sucker Punch, I did a lot less Quick Shoting. Usually one of the others is up and needed and if not I'll just basic shot to keep regen up. This is all with the idea you are going dirty fighting of course. No idea on the shared tree.

Yeah, dirty fighting seemed like a better return given the limited points I had to work with. As it is, the only other tree I've touched is sawbones, and that only for the talent that gives the % bonus to cunning.

Backblast just...eh...I can't seem to find a good way to use it. I recognize that it's useful what with the high damage and low energy cost, but keeping track of the CD and getting behind mobs seems to be more trouble than its worth. If it got a crit bonus for being used while stealthed it would be my go-to opener, every time, but that is not the case.

Basically, for a group of 3 I'll open with vital shot to everyone->grenade one of the ranged mobs->approach melee mob (if any)->blaster whip and then go ahead with quick shot/flurry of bolts. If one mob is stronger, then I just refresh vital shot, keep upper hand active w/blaster whip, and quick shot/flurry ad nausea.

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Raekreu wrote:
    cptrugged wrote:
    Raekreu wrote:

Yeah, dirty fighting seemed like a better return given the limited points I had to work with. As it is, the only other tree I've touched is sawbones, and that only for the talent that gives the % bonus to cunning.

Backblast just...eh...I can't seem to find a good way to use it. I recognize that it's useful what with the high damage and low energy cost, but keeping track of the CD and getting behind mobs seems to be more trouble than its worth. If it got a crit bonus for being used while stealthed it would be my go-to opener, every time, but that is not the case.

Basically, for a group of 3 I'll open with vital shot to everyone->grenade one of the ranged mobs->approach melee mob (if any)->blaster whip and then go ahead with quick shot/flurry of bolts. If one mob is stronger, then I just refresh vital shot, keep upper hand active w/blaster whip, and quick shot/flurry ad nausea.

Back Blast (well, Back Stab for ops) is one of my favorite abilities. It really makes a difference especially for single target dps against silvers and golds. Once you get your execute ability and stealthed back attack, you can just melt silvers. Stealth opener -> poison -> melee strike -> stun -> back stab -> execute -> 2x [resource] strike.

Opening with a back blast at low levels from stealth on a group is an easy way to take a regular mob to half hp, then finish it off with a pistol whip and basic attack.

Cheap shot, and a quick move to the back of the mob, is another easy way to activate it. Also, against weak and standard enemies, if you toss your grenade at one, they'll get knocked down and you can run through them and activate back blast.

Once you get sucker punch, and put talent pts into it, that will become your bread and butter attack though. Ops/Scoundrels sadly don't mature until your mid - late thirties with that little series of tied perks.

Oh, and Back Blast becomes absolutely critical once you get Flechette round, as it'll be your only out of stealth method for proccing the massive debuff/poison.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    You know, the funny thing is with the skills I have now. I don't start regular leveling combat in stealth at all. I start with Corso's power shot to grab agro and just grenade, get behind backblast, then blaster whip and more grenades. The grenade is just so so powerful at the lower levels.

Until I get the actual stealth opener, there is just no need to take shots when Corso's power shot will almost kill a standard mob and he immediately gets agro. But when I get the opener I'll probly be a lot more sneaky. Right now I just cold cock suckers left and right while they shoot good ole' Corso.

Again this is a time when I will say I wish your companion's attack didn't bring you both out of stealth. Companion agro and still getting a stealth opener would be sweet indeed.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Okay, sniper question time again: I find myself burning through energy rather quickly in flashpoints; I can pop the adrenaline probe to help, but on longer fights with more than one heroic mob I find my damage output dropping rapidly once I run out of energy. Is there a better rotation that I can follow to mitigate the bleeding? Or are there items/stims that increase the regeneration rate of energy?

Case in point, I did Boarding Party for the first time last night, and there are at least two encounters where a quick DPS burn is essential. We managed, but I feel a couple wipes could really have been avoided if I had managed my damage output better.

I tend to do this:

1. Ambush to proc sniper volley
    2. Follow-through
    3. The "damage armor" shot (can't remember the name)
    4. Aimed Shot
    5. Explosive Probe
    6. Aimed Shot
    7. Follow-through
    8. Aimed Shot

And keep doing aimed shot until either follow-up, explosive probe, or takedown come off of cooldown. This also doesn't include utility usage, such as distract or interrupts.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    anybody DPSing as Powertech? I have a feeling I may end up tanking at level cap but I'm kinda enjoying it while leveling.

im levelling as a dps vanguard which is the republic analogue

assault spec (your version would be pyrotech i think) has a shitload of burst and is very good for pve content, thermal detonator + beefed up rail shot procs ahoy

only problem is that thermal detonator is supposed to replace explosive dart? but it doesnt do aoe damage

assuming this is a bug

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
  • Options
    When do I get someone who isn't Corso

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    When do I get someone who isn't Corso
    End of Coruscant.

Unless you want someone who also isn't the ship's droid, in which case, end of Nar Shaddaa.

If you're doing Scoundrel DPS, I think Corso's the better option. Your next real companion is a melee tank, and so works a bit better for Gunslingers, I think.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Yeah I sling them guns

that sounds like a while

I'm sad

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    It's totally worth it when you get him, though.

• Options
    I actually made good use of Corso's usually annoying harpoon when he had to main tank a 4 main herioc for me and two others. Manually controled, the harpoon is a great utility. And I lahk the waye he talks. He sounds like Space George W. It's a big hat.. it's funny.