As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWcolonTOR] Damage Thread: I find your lack of DPS disturbing.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Yeah I turned his harpoon off I think, I right-clicked it and the little green box on the skill turned black

he's just a boring character to me

though I do like I picked the skin that looks like a young version of the grandpa from King of the Hill, beady little eyes

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Good luck with that. You keep turnin' the Harpoon off and Cordo he just keeps on turnin' back on agin. Every time you send Corso away to craft or fly a Speeder, the Harpoon is back when he returns. Very aggravating it is.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    heh, Cordo

because he keeps shooting that cord out

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Yeah, but your leveling slows down so while theyre still backloaded, its not as bad as it seems. Thats not to say I didnt want to get rid of Kaliyo sooner, because I did. Shes a terrible tank.

The tank companions in general take a steep dive in the mid levels. My SW (speced dps) buddy just got his ranged tank and we were jazzed to try him out. With neither of us specced to tank it seemed like it was about to be a breakthrough in how we handled big mobs. Nope, companion tank drops like a rock.. It was a bit better when I pulled out Mako to heal him as well, but we still had better survival / time ratios with damage companions.

I really wonder why they backload any of the tanking companions when even dps spec players are easier to heal and keep up than the tanking companions by that level. At least from my experience.

The issue between tank companions and a player tank is that the Tank companions Tank stance does not give them the armor bonus that a player-Tank gets. When my Jedi Knight or Bounty Hunter Power Tech goes into his tank stance, he gets a 60% armor increase that Tank companions just don't get. This is problematic.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Okay, sniper question time again: I find myself burning through energy rather quickly in flashpoints; I can pop the adrenaline probe to help, but on longer fights with more than one heroic mob I find my damage output dropping rapidly once I run out of energy. Is there a better rotation that I can follow to mitigate the bleeding? Or are there items/stims that increase the regeneration rate of energy?

Case in point, I did Boarding Party for the first time last night, and there are at least two encounters where a quick DPS burn is essential. We managed, but I feel a couple wipes could really have been avoided if I had managed my damage output better.

I tend to do this:

1. Ambush to proc sniper volley
    2. Follow-through
    3. The "damage armor" shot (can't remember the name)
    4. Aimed Shot
    5. Explosive Probe
    6. Aimed Shot
    7. Follow-through
    8. Aimed Shot

And keep doing aimed shot until either follow-up, explosive probe, or takedown come off of cooldown. This also doesn't include utility usage, such as distract or interrupts.

My basic rotation on boss fights is:
    1. Shatter Shot (armor reducing thing)
    2. Corrosive Dart
    3. Explosive Probe
    4. Snipe (which is instant)
    5. Followthrough
    6. If Snipe crit (cutting a second off Ambush) Ambush
    6a. If Ambush, then Followthrough
    6.If Snipe didnt crit Series of Shots
    7. If Ambush is up, Ambush
    8. If Series of shots is up, Series of Shots

I'll work in Energy Probe if I have to Snipe a lot because shit is hitting the fan, and I'll throw in Rifle Shot (the free attack) if Im low on energy and Energy Probe is on CD, but usually I'll have to get up and move around at some point which gives me time to regen energy.

For what its worth I run this build although the 2 points in Vital Regulators can go basically anywhere.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote:
    anybody DPSing as Powertech? I have a feeling I may end up tanking at level cap but I'm kinda enjoying it while leveling.

im levelling as a dps vanguard which is the republic analogue

assault spec (your version would be pyrotech i think) has a shitload of burst and is very good for pve content, thermal detonator + beefed up rail shot procs ahoy

only problem is that thermal detonator is supposed to replace explosive dart? but it doesnt do aoe damage

assuming this is a bug

It makes sense to a point, because it gives you another single target option that is more powerful than its aoe equivalent on the same CD, similar to ion pulse/explosive surge. It doesn't really make much sense from a thematic standpoint, though.

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Dourin wrote:
    Good to hear it's just all tank companions. Qyzen was great early on, and I've keep him pretty well geared, always grabbing gear for him from quest rewards over commendations, but over the last 5-6 levels or so (I'm currently 38), he just can't take hits anymore. We'll engage a group of 3-4 mobs, I'll start to focus the weaker ones, and by the time I can start to dps the strong one(s), he's already eating dirt. Being a Balance specced Shadow, would I be better off gearing up Theran and just having him keep me alive, or maybe my third companion (after ship droid) for some extra dps? Or is there something I can do for Qyzen to make him better?

I leveled as both an infiltration spec'd shadow and a balance shadow (swapping back and forth to try and figure out which I liked better. I still have no idea)

From experience, Theran was my go to guy. Between the two of us, it worked out. He healed me and was awesome with his Holiday doing interrupts on people, and I worried about mowing things down. It works out pretty great and lets you have a much easier time than other things. (of course I was big on stealthing in to mind daze an elite before proceeding to wipe up the little guys and then take out the elite. Theran has no aoe crap which is awesome.)

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    So what are the thoughts on the 3 trees for Marauder leveling? Is one for PVP, oen for single target, one for AOE?

• Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    One is DoT damage (left tree) one is burst (middle tree) one is force abilities/pvp utility (right tree).

For leveling, most people seem to like the left tree, annihilation, for the heal that procs on dot crits. However from my experience it's not at all different from the middle tree, Carnage, because mobs generally don't last long enough to get use out of dots. Instead, you spend most of your time just trying to get enough rage to apply the dots in the first place.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote:
    So what are the thoughts on the 3 trees for Marauder leveling? Is one for PVP, oen for single target, one for AOE?

Started a Jedi Sentinel and went down the Watchman tree (your left tree) and found it to be very receptive for leveling so far. Up to level 24 only though so it might change later. What Riale said about the weaker mobs is tree but I rarely bother with dots on them. Only enemies above normal do I bother to dot up. I've found the sometimes self heals to be nice when they proc and even more so when you use your 30 stacks to cause all of the dots to crit, healing you AND your companion for awhile.

Tried out combat a bit (your middle tree) and still liked watchman more. Haven't tried the right tree yet. My story may change as I continue to level but so far, it's been awesome. Sturdier than my shadow was CURRENTLY but that may change as the sentinel seems to lack a meaningful CC (I'd sap/mind maze in stealth before picking some fights. Made it super easy).

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Nyht wrote:
    KiTA wrote:

Started a Jedi Sentinel and went down the Watchman tree (your left tree) and found it to be very receptive for leveling so far. Up to level 24 only though so it might change later. What Riale said about the weaker mobs is tree but I rarely bother with dots on them. Only enemies above normal do I bother to dot up. I've found the sometimes self heals to be nice when they proc and even more so when you use your 30 stacks to cause all of the dots to crit, healing you AND your companion for awhile.

Tried out combat a bit (your middle tree) and still liked watchman more. Haven't tried the right tree yet. My story may change as I continue to level but so far, it's been awesome. Sturdier than my shadow was CURRENTLY but that may change as the sentinel seems to lack a meaningful CC (I'd sap/mind maze in stealth before picking some fights. Made it super easy).

Personally I'm leveling my Sen left tree, and would strongly recommend avoiding the middle tree until you get enough points to get Ataru form.

Once you can get there, though, I'd say both are probably gravy. I should try the middle one out one of these days, but I keep getting awesome things like point-blank force charge and less cooldown on Pacify from Watchman.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I feel like when I level my Marauder later I will swap to the pvp tree at 40. I think for levelling, the auto crit sweeps(double damage 3 times per minute) would make levelling so easy. I'll have to see how it goes, but in retrospect I might've tried it on my Guardian. Now that i'm 50, once I get my good tank gear and can start building DPS gear I'm going to try pvping in it.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    Okay, sniper question time again: I find myself burning through energy rather quickly in flashpoints; I can pop the adrenaline probe to help, but on longer fights with more than one heroic mob I find my damage output dropping rapidly once I run out of energy. Is there a better rotation that I can follow to mitigate the bleeding? Or are there items/stims that increase the regeneration rate of energy?

Case in point, I did Boarding Party for the first time last night, and there are at least two encounters where a quick DPS burn is essential. We managed, but I feel a couple wipes could really have been avoided if I had managed my damage output better.

I tend to do this:

1. Ambush to proc sniper volley
    2. Follow-through
    3. The "damage armor" shot (can't remember the name)
    4. Aimed Shot
    5. Explosive Probe
    6. Aimed Shot
    7. Follow-through
    8. Aimed Shot

And keep doing aimed shot until either follow-up, explosive probe, or takedown come off of cooldown. This also doesn't include utility usage, such as distract or interrupts.

My basic rotation on boss fights is:
    1. Shatter Shot (armor reducing thing)
    2. Corrosive Dart
    3. Explosive Probe
    4. Snipe (which is instant)
    5. Followthrough
    6. If Snipe crit (cutting a second off Ambush) Ambush
    6a. If Ambush, then Followthrough
    6.If Snipe didnt crit Series of Shots
    7. If Ambush is up, Ambush
    8. If Series of shots is up, Series of Shots

I'll work in Energy Probe if I have to Snipe a lot because shit is hitting the fan, and I'll throw in Rifle Shot (the free attack) if Im low on energy and Energy Probe is on CD, but usually I'll have to get up and move around at some point which gives me time to regen energy.

For what its worth I run this build although the 2 points in Vital Regulators can go basically anywhere.

Thank you for this advice; I'll try it out tonight.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Can we come to a consensus that the sniper ability Target Acquired (Increases alacrity by 20% for 10 seconds) is not worth the hotkey bar real estate?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote:
    Can we come to a consensus that the sniper ability Target Acquired (Increases alacrity by 20% for 10 seconds) is not worth the hotkey bar real estate?

Yeah, totally not worth it.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    I seriously cannot level on anything but shield tech apparently. I tried prototype for awhile yesterday and died sooooooo many times.

Also the damage stuff in the shield tech tree is pretty good... at least at level 33. Super duper rocket punches are just so much fun.

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote:
    I feel like when I level my Marauder later I will swap to the pvp tree at 40. I think for levelling, the auto crit sweeps(double damage 3 times per minute) would make levelling so easy. I'll have to see how it goes, but in retrospect I might've tried it on my Guardian. Now that i'm 50, once I get my good tank gear and can start building DPS gear I'm going to try pvping in it.

You'd think that, but it's really not that amazing damage. I tried it with my Marauder in the 30s and even a crit smash (our name for sweep) only does half of a standard enemy's health bar. It's just as easy to cut them down.

Also, the main reason I prefer Carnage/Combat? 15% movement speed bonus in Ataru form. It's great for PvP while leveling and it's great to make questing go faster.

33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Riale wrote:
    Joshmvii wrote:

You'd think that, but it's really not that amazing damage. I tried it with my Marauder in the 30s and even a crit smash (our name for sweep) only does half of a standard enemy's health bar. It's just as easy to cut them down.

Also, the main reason I prefer Carnage/Combat? 15% movement speed bonus in Ataru form. It's great for PvP while leveling and it's great to make questing go faster.

I've heard reports that the 15% movespeed increase doesn't stack with sprint or your speeder though.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Riale wrote:
    Joshmvii wrote:

I'm not talking about just the guaranteed crits. I'm talking about using stasis/exhaustion to build singularity and then doing a double damage crit, which should one shot an entire group of standards, or come very close. You couldn't take full advantage until 40 when you can get exhaustion, which is why I mentioned trying it at 40 on my Marauder when I make him.

• Options
    Riale wrote:
    Joshmvii wrote:

I'm thinking about going combat shortly here, in the hopes that the 15% movespeed stacks with sprint, but if it doesn't I'll be quite sad.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    For a Sniper, Corrosive Dart should not even be on your bar unless you're Lethality spec.

Seriously, over its duration it does less damage than Snipe, procs nothing, costs the same, and can fuck up your energy rotation because it is instant cast.

If you are Marksman or Engineering, forget Corrosive Dart even exists, seriously. You're better off using that energy firing off another Snipe.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote:
    For a Sniper, Corrosive Dart should not even be on your bar unless you're Lethality spec.

Seriously, over its duration it does less damage than Snipe, procs nothing, costs the same, and can fuck up your energy rotation because it is instant cast.

If you are Marksman or Engineering, forget Corrosive Dart even exists, seriously. You're better off using that energy firing off another Snipe.

I usually throw it up in the beginning, and then forget about it. It ensures Im not wasting energy regen while Im casting a different move.

• Options
    emp123 wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:

I usually throw it up in the beginning, and then forget about it. It ensures Im not wasting energy regen while Im casting a different move.

There are way, way, way better instant abilities to use at the beginning so that you regenerate a little energy while you're casting Ambush or Snipe.

Shatter Shot, for example.

Or an instant Snipe from Snap Shot. (Which, if it crits (which is more common than not later on), will make your next Ambush cast faster)

Hell, even Explosive Probe is better damage per energy and remains competitive even in a Marksman build.

Unless you are Lethality spec, banish Corrosive Dart from your bars because it is only lowering your DPS every time you use it.

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote:
    Riale wrote:
    Joshmvii wrote:

I'm not talking about just the guaranteed crits. I'm talking about using stasis/exhaustion to build singularity and then doing a double damage crit, which should one shot an entire group of standards, or come very close. You couldn't take full advantage until 40 when you can get exhaustion, which is why I mentioned trying it at 40 on my Marauder when I make him.
    I've done it with force choke. Considering the high rage cost of exhaustion/force crush it still seems more awkward than useful. You'd end up having to spend a fight building up charges and keeping them long enough to save them for the next group.

On top of this is the fact that smash/sweep has a pretty lackluster range, and a lot of the plants have mobs that are too spread out to make use of it. Even when I force choke'd to get the 75% damage buff and had a guaranteed crit, I'd hit only 1-2 mobs out of a 4-5 mob spawn.

I can certainly see the uses in PvP, but I feel like my kill rate per spawn is more equal and faster overall with Carnage.

Also, the movement speed might not stack with sprint. I haven't tested it or anything. I notice it the most in flashpoints or PvP when you're often stuck in combat and sprint is suppressed.

33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:

There are way, way, way better instant abilities to use at the beginning so that you regenerate a little energy while you're casting Ambush or Snipe.

Shatter Shot, for example.

Or an instant Snipe from Snap Shot. (Which, if it crits (which is more common than not later on), will make your next Ambush cast faster)

Hell, even Explosive Probe is better damage per energy and remains competitive even in a Marksman build.

Unless you are Lethality spec, banish Corrosive Dart from your bars because it is only lowering your DPS every time you use it.

In the 7.5 seconds it takes me to cast Shatter Shot, Corrosive Dart, Explosive Probe, Insta Snipe, Followthrough Ive regenerated 45 energy at a cost of 80 (net 35 energy use), add Series of Shot and Im down a net of 37 out of 110. Dropping Corrosive Dart would only give me an extra 2 energy, but Id be out 1000+ damage.

Past the opener though I dont think its worth it.

• Options
    BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    Riale wrote:
    Joshmvii wrote:
    Riale wrote:
    Joshmvii wrote:

I've done it with force choke. Considering the high rage cost of exhaustion/force crush it still seems more awkward than useful. You'd end up having to spend a fight building up charges and keeping them long enough to save them for the next group.

On top of this is the fact that smash/sweep has a pretty lackluster range, and a lot of the plants have mobs that are too spread out to make use of it. Even when I force choke'd to get the 75% damage buff and had a guaranteed crit, I'd hit only 1-2 mobs out of a 4-5 mob spawn.

I can certainly see the uses in PvP, but I feel like my kill rate per spawn is more equal and faster overall with Carnage.

Also, the movement speed might not stack with sprint. I haven't tested it or anything. I notice it the most in flashpoints or PvP when you're often stuck in combat and sprint is suppressed.

I have the operative equivalent move speed talent, and I can confirm that it does not stack with sprint.

• Options
    Sad :(

Ah well, that talent for Sentinel is still pretty useful, while leveling. Free centering for getting punched in the face!

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote:
    cptrugged wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Yeah, but your leveling slows down so while theyre still backloaded, its not as bad as it seems. Thats not to say I didnt want to get rid of Kaliyo sooner, because I did. Shes a terrible tank.

The tank companions in general take a steep dive in the mid levels. My SW (speced dps) buddy just got his ranged tank and we were jazzed to try him out. With neither of us specced to tank it seemed like it was about to be a breakthrough in how we handled big mobs. Nope, companion tank drops like a rock.. It was a bit better when I pulled out Mako to heal him as well, but we still had better survival / time ratios with damage companions.

I really wonder why they backload any of the tanking companions when even dps spec players are easier to heal and keep up than the tanking companions by that level. At least from my experience.

The issue between tank companions and a player tank is that the Tank companions Tank stance does not give them the armor bonus that a player-Tank gets. When my Jedi Knight or Bounty Hunter Power Tech goes into his tank stance, he gets a 60% armor increase that Tank companions just don't get. This is problematic.

From what I understand they did get a 60% armor buff until very late in the beta. It was stripped pretty shortly before release because it synergized too strongly with healing characters. Personally I think they should look for a more healer specific solution, because right now they're about the only ones who can use tank companions to any decent effect. As it is on my Sniper I only really get much use out of my healing companion.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Iblis wrote:
    AspectVoid wrote:
    cptrugged wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

From what I understand they did get a 60% armor buff until very late in the beta. It was stripped pretty shortly before release because it synergized too strongly with healing characters. Personally I think they should look for a more healer specific solution, because right now they're about the only ones who can use tank companions to any decent effect. As it is on my Sniper I only really get much use out of my healing companion.

Right now even healers are better off with a DPS companion for the most part because the armor difference isn't really all that great between a tank companion and a DPS companion.

They can taunt and draw greater threat, sure, but you're better off just using the DPS companion to burn things down faster.

I say this as a very sad healer who wants to continue using Khem Val instead of Andronikos.

• Options
    I figured that might have been the case, as I've had similar experience with my healing Commando. Seems like using Jorgan is more effective than companion number 3, who is sadly quite awesome but impractical at the moment.

• Options
    Iblis wrote:
    AspectVoid wrote:
    cptrugged wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

Im kinda surprised you get much use out of the IA healer companion, I used him in one fight and died. I blame him for that death. Vector on the other hand is just too awesome to not use. I thought about using the ranged DPS companion, but I figured it would probably be best to have someone hitting the enemy with a stick or something.

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    emp123 wrote:
    Iblis wrote:
    AspectVoid wrote:
    cptrugged wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

Im kinda surprised you get much use out of the IA healer companion, I used him in one fight and died. I blame him for that death. Vector on the other hand is just too awesome to not use. I thought about using the ranged DPS companion, but I figured it would probably be best to have someone hitting the enemy with a stick or something.

Hehe, as an Op i've had the complete opposite experience at least.

First time I got Vector I took him out for a silver + regular spawn and got wrecked hard. Tried again on some regular spawns and kept having to rest. First time with Lokin though, I took on a gold + silver + 3 mob spawn aggro and didn't break a sweat. Heals + class defensive skills turned me into a wreaking ball in pve.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    Avynte wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Iblis wrote:
    AspectVoid wrote:
    cptrugged wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

First time I got Vector I took him out for a silver + regular spawn and got wrecked hard. Tried again on some regular spawns and kept having to rest. First time with Lokin though, I took on a gold + silver + 3 mob spawn aggro and didn't break a sweat. Heals + class defensive skills turned me into a wreaking ball in pve.

Yeah, its probably because Im speccd as a Sniper and I do much better when the guys Im shooting arent looking at me.

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    Avynte wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Iblis wrote:
    AspectVoid wrote:
    cptrugged wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

Yeah, its probably because Im speccd as a Sniper and I do much better when the guys Im shooting arent looking at me.

I'll be very curious when combat logs finally come out as to who tops the tanky-dps role though, between Vector, Ensign, and Sexbot.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    Iblis wrote:
    AspectVoid wrote:
    cptrugged wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

Right now even healers are better off with a DPS companion for the most part because the armor difference isn't really all that great between a tank companion and a DPS companion.

They can taunt and draw greater threat, sure, but you're better off just using the DPS companion to burn things down faster.

I say this as a very sad healer who wants to continue using Khem Val instead of Andronikos.
    Depends on the content you're doing. As an op-medic, soloing Heroics you're IME much better off with Kaliyo for hard pulls or the champions. The armor difference (especially with Shotgun Blast) can mean the difference between beating the fight (slowly) and not beating the fight. The extra DPS from a different companion doesn't make a bit of difference if you can't keep them alive.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    emp123 wrote:
    Iblis wrote:
    AspectVoid wrote:
    cptrugged wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

This might be a stupid question, but did you gear him up? For some reason or another he comes with absolute shit for gear, including no weapon. He does suck a bit until you get that. I can get by with a DPS companion, but I find that it's a lot more risky.

I can survive pretty easy with our healer because of all the control abilities the Sniper gets. Plus as a bonus I don't have much downtime as my health is topped off or close to it after normal fights.

• Options
    nessinnessin Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote:
    Depends on the content you're doing. As an op-medic, soloing Heroics you're IME much better off with Kaliyo for hard pulls or the champions. The armor difference (especially with Shotgun Blast) can mean the difference between beating the fight (slowly) and not beating the fight. The extra DPS from a different companion doesn't make a bit of difference if you can't keep them alive.

What is the point of even bringing that up? Heroic content is a relatively minor part of the game, and the fact that someone can solo it just means it (or the class) isn't balanced properly. The problem is, as already highlighted, Tank and Healing companions are utter junk compared to DPS for 99% of the content of the game where you use companions.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    nessin wrote:
    Spectrum wrote:

What is the point of even bringing that up? Heroic content is a relatively minor part of the game, and the fact that someone can solo it just means it (or the class) isn't balanced properly. The problem is, as already highlighted, Tank and Healing companions are utter junk compared to DPS for 99% of the content of the game where you use companions.
    Well...no, I still don't agree with that. The IA Tank companion happens to do a good deal better AoE than the melee DPS companion. She works just fine if I wasn't using a single target opener and instead went with just AoE.

As for heroic content, you don't think someone 5 levels above recommended should be able to solo a Heroic 2? We'll agree to disagree, then. Heroic content is the only interesting content difficulty wise. If you're having problems with normal content, you're doing something wrong.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Iblis wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Iblis wrote:
    AspectVoid wrote:
    cptrugged wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

This might be a stupid question, but did you gear him up? For some reason or another he comes with absolute shit for gear, including no weapon. He does suck a bit until you get that. I can get by with a DPS companion, but I find that it's a lot more risky.

I can survive pretty easy with our healer because of all the control abilities the Sniper gets. Plus as a bonus I don't have much downtime as my health is topped off or close to it after normal fights.

Now that I think about it, I dont think Ive ever given him gear. I should probably rectify that, as it would make a lot of room in my bank...

• Options
    nessinnessin Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote:
    nessin wrote:
    Spectrum wrote:

Well...no, I still don't agree with that. The IA Tank companion happens to do a good deal better AoE than the melee DPS companion. She works just fine if I wasn't using a single target opener and instead went with just AoE.

As for heroic content, you don't think someone 5 levels above recommended should be able to solo a Heroic 2? We'll agree to disagree, then. Heroic content is the only interesting content difficulty wise. If you're having problems with normal content, you're doing something wrong.

This is 2012, haven't we gotten past the idea that only 5% of the game actually matters at this point? Why even contribute to the discussion if you believe the actual choice of a companion should be meaningless throughout most of the game?

Also, where did the 5 levels comment come from?