Options

Video Game Industry Thread: December's done, time for the next one

• Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    Akula wrote:
    48975_1236040439_1956_n.jpg
    I TOLD YOU I DEAL WITH THE CUSTOMERS SO THE ENGINEERS DON'T HAVE TO. I HAVE PEOPLE SKILLS DAMMIT! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!

TheRockClapping.gif

For those of you that don't know what this is from, it is from a movie called "Office Space" and you absolutely have to see it. After watching it, it will be harder for you to have a truly bad day at work. It's like another line of defense for your sanity.

Anyway, I wonder how similar this situation is to when Capcom cancelled MML3 and that one guy from Capcom's twitter blamed the fans for not making the game for them.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    Hes not saying hes remorseful he acted that way, he is, as Mike said, sorry he got caught.

He's also saying "My wife and kids are getting caught in the cross fire, please stop."

And Gabe's post reply, basically, "lol"

Which means Gabe is a dick.

I answer a lot of emails everyday. A lot of people lie to make you feel sorry for them. I don't believe that his family is in the cross fire. He is trying to deflect the issue and garner sympathy.

And anyway the information is on the Internet. Removing it from Penny Arcade won't matter.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Chen wrote:
    Man, this is all so surreal. Mike basically ruined this guy's life. Maybe it's because Christmas just ended, but I kinda feel for the guy, however much he had done wrong.

People lose their jobs all the time for being bad at them. The only difference here is that this guy is losing his job in a hilarious public shitstorm. He learned the hard way that you can't hide behind a keyboard.

Considering the content of those e-mails, I just can't feel bad for him or his family. Besides, this guy had it coming for a loooooooong time. You don't just start acting this way one day out of the blue. He had 38 years to cultivate his complete douchiness.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I'll point out here that Gabe only shared what appeared to be the guy's business contact information - it wasn't like he posted his home phone number or anything. Now I don't doubt the capacity of some corners of the internet to find the guy's home phone number, and he seems to be a sufficiently fly-by-night type of individual that I wouldn't be surprised if his home and business numbers were one and the same, but that isn't on Gabe.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Can't feel any sympathy for the guy because he put his own family in the "crossfire" by being a total and complete douchebag. It may not be the wife and kid's fault, but she chooses to live with him and benefit from his "job".

As for the Joystiq exodus, I have to believe it has to do with the AOL/HuffPo deal. Probably big changes in management and how the website is run are coming soon and they don't want any part of it.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I just don't like the entire "It's in the hands of the internet now" mentality when he was the one that posted the e-mails and essentially sealed this mans fate. He damn well knows his influence and he knows what he did.

He's getting revenge on an idiot. Nothing more to it than that.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Edit: Ignore

Gaslight on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just don't like the entire "It's in the hands of the internet now" mentality when he was the one that posted the e-mails and essentially sealed this mans fate. He damn well knows his influence and he knows what he did.

As much as I love altruism, sometimes it doesn't work. If he posted the guy's personal info, rather than business info, it would be a different story.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Remington wrote:
    I can't help but wonder what Jerry is doing during all this. Is he just staring at his monitor, agape?

If I were him, I'd be worried about being business partners with somebody who just freely admitted that he has no problems completely fucking over any and everything just to get back at somebody who said mean things over an e-mail.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Remington wrote:
    I can't help but wonder what Jerry is doing during all this. Is he just staring at his monitor, agape?

If I were him, I'd be worried about being business partners with somebody who just freely admitted that he has no problems completely fucking over any and everything just to get back at somebody who said mean things over an e-mail.

I'm sure he's aware of Mike's shortcomings.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Remington wrote:

hah, they have known each other for ever. If you've watched any PATV's or listened to their podcasts or read any of their exchanges on the front page over the years...

Yeah, he already knew this.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Remington wrote:

I believe the fact that neither Mike or Jerry have any particular business acumen is well documented. Not to worry, this is why they have Khoo. And, apparently, lawyers.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2011

As mentioned before, Gabe was one of several places that posted the information (and he wasn't even the first). Additionally, it IS in the hands of the internet now. Even if Gabe posted a giant "please stop harrassing this guy" on his website, I doubt the flak he's getting would stop, or even significantly slow down (Especially since, again, PA wasn't the only place posting about this stuff, thus it's not just PA fans that are doing it.)

Certainly the Something Awful guys don't give a shit what anyone tells them to do. They are a force of fucking nature.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I hate to be the party pooper, but I feel like the conservation is drifting off-course. I know we're pretty much ground zero for the event, but we're long past the games industry part of the topic. "Gabe is or isn't a dick for some of all of this." isn't super relevant to the thread.

If anything happens in relation to Ocean Marketing, PA, or N-Control, then post on it. But discussing whether or not Gabe was right to do this or that is outside the scope of this thread.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Right, but to say that Mike is stupid and doesn't understand the influence of force that he has is... well a bad suggestion. So while he may not have outright said "Fly my pretties! Fly!" he still knows what he is capable of, and his follow up twitter comes with an explanation trying to justify why he's feels pleasure from this.

Just my observation of the situation.

*Posted while/after Raz. ;)

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    F'ng Geico referencing it in one of their tweets this morning still has me astonished.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2011

As mentioned before, Gabe was one of several places that posted the information (and he wasn't even the first). Additionally, it IS in the hands of the internet now. Even if Gabe posted a giant "please stop harrassing this guy" on his website, I doubt the flak he's getting would stop, or even significantly slow down (Especially since, again, PA wasn't the only place posting about this stuff, thus it's not just PA fans that are doing it.)

Certainly the Something Awful guys don't give a shit what anyone tells them to do. They are a force of fucking nature.

I just wish Kotnick was more successful in getting something out there. When I talked to him hours ago, he was going to email Mike straight away, and try to get a statement out to some other places as well. I can't imagine he wouldn't email Mike, but maybe he didn't. I did email Mike, and while Mike has no actual duty or responsibility to respond to my email (if he even read it) or follow up on the contact info I provided, it seems to me to be the decent thing to do.

It's a double-dick move if Kotnick did contact Mike, and Mike just ignored it.

[edit]Sorry Raz[/edit]

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    That lawsuit triggered a mandatory arbitration clause in the original contract, and now Viacom has revealed to the LA Times that the private arbitrator in question has ordered the company to pay the former Harmonix shareholders $383 million.

http://i.joystiq.com/2011/12/27/viacom-ordered-to-pay-harmonix-several-trucks-full-of-money/

Ouch.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I doubt the wife and son are real, and even if they are I bet they're just copies of some other families wife and son.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Came with the wallet?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    That lawsuit triggered a mandatory arbitration clause in the original contract, and now Viacom has revealed to the LA Times that the private arbitrator in question has ordered the company to pay the former Harmonix shareholders $383 million.

http://i.joystiq.com/2011/12/27/viacom-ordered-to-pay-harmonix-several-trucks-full-of-money/

Ouch.

...wow.

Speaking of dick moves? Asking your employees to pay their already-paid bonuses back is one. Glad to see they're being compensated.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Ouch.

Oh wow, I wasn't expecting it to go that way.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Far as I'm concerned, the man wanted to act hard and got what he asked for.

Well, he ain't so hard now. Watch what you say.

That said!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqV9kx40RG0

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Oh so this is why the thread jumped by 500 posts in one day. Thought it was something important.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I think there is a big difference between being sorry and being sorry you got caught. I have a real problem with bullies. I spent my childhood moving from school to school and I got made fun of everyplace I landed. I feel like Paul is a bully and maybe that.s why I have no sympathy here. Someday every bully meets and even bigger bully and maybe that.s me in this case. It.s the same thing that happened with Jack Thompson. It might not always make the most business sense and it is a policy that has caused us some legal problems, but I really don.t give a shit about that. When these assholes threaten me or Penny Arcade I just laugh. I will personally burn everything I.ve made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames.

Could not have said it better myself.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    oceanstretagy Paul

@mrpizat Penny Arcade is for autsitic preteens that can handle good entertianment. I'm suprised you can even read at all.
    18 minutes ago

Hes... hes still doing it?

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Hey. Autsitism is a serious problem. Serious.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote:
    @mrpizat Penny Arcade is for autsitic preteens that can handle good entertianment. I'm suprised you can even read at all.
    Mr. I-only-read-when-I-have-to said this?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fake twitter account.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Oh boy biz, your Enders Game quote made me giddy over at Gaf.

yeah just realizing now that its the fake twitter, Jeff Green needs to retweet better!

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote:
    oceanstretagy Paul

18 minutes ago

Hes... hes still doing it?

"oceanstretagy" is probably a fake twitter. The real new name is "oceanstratagy"

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote:

That said!

Oh my god. Please kill me now.

• Options
    fRAWRst wrote:
    Oh boy biz, your Enders Game quote made me giddy over at Gaf.

yeah just realizing now that its the fake twitter, Jeff Green needs to retweet better!
    High five :).

I don't remember actual quotes from that book, but that was the underlying message the book gave me.

Not that it matters. It's like Hangover II and Bangkok.

The Internet has him, now.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:

That said!

Oh my god. Please kill me now.

God can't make it right now. He's got a speaking engagement at NAMBLA.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, but after reading some of the posts in these last four pages I have to answer with a resounding WTF?

Now, I will grant that the voracity of his claim that his family is being targeted specifically (and not in a by proxy affair through him) being suspect is true, same as to the actual existence of said family.

But, for argument's sake, let's assume that is true, that in some way his family, not himself but different people altogether, are being targeted by the INTERNET HATE MACHINE. There are some of you saying that this is not a wholly fucked up thing? Did you say the same when Kara and Gabe were targeted by a certain other internet debacle?

What the fuck is wrong with this picture?

"Never Hit"
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    People who would go out of their way to screw with this guy's family are the same people who turn a protest into a riot. It is a wholly fucked up thing, but it is also totally distinct from people being mad at this guy.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry, but after reading some of the posts in these last four pages I have to answer with a resounding WTF?

Now, I will grant that the voracity of his claim that his family is being targeted specifically (and not in a by proxy affair through him) being suspect is true, same as to the actual existence of said family.

But, for argument's sake, let's assume that is true, that in some way his family, not himself but different people altogether, are being targeted by the INTERNET HATE MACHINE. There are some of you saying that this is not a wholly fucked up thing? Did you say the same when Kara and Gabe were targeted by a certain other internet debacle?

Everyone said that if his family was being targeted specifically, that is not ok.

But that'snot what is occuring. He's being targeted, and he's using "zomg this hurts mah family" too as reasoning that he shoudl be given a free pass to be a complete shitfucker because "hey, I have a kid, not hitbacks!!!!". Which is dumb. Reap what you sow and all that.

No one is condoning anyone hurting his family directly, or attacking his wife and/or kid, assuming he actually has these.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Gabe's double standard is pretty funny actually.

• Options
    edited December 2011

It's all about the victim and whether he or she evokes sympathy. Humans don't care about facts, just their emotional reactions to the evidence presented before them. S'why we save dolphins and slaughter "pests".

When y'have other cases like http://www.notgoodenough.org/viewtopic.php?p=329158, the natural reaction is to let the offender burn.

You are just seeing us as how we truly are :). On the whole, anyways.

Also, if there was evidence of the child and fiance being in danger or attacked, you'd see more defenders. The only word comes from a known liar, though, so, "welp".

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Gabe's double standard is pretty funny actually.
    Well, some people believe in the punishment fitting the crime.