As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• ArthArth Registered User regular
    Arth wrote: »
    Soooooooooooo I just bought this for 360. Played through the opening area to the first real area of the game.

I don't want to say this game raped me per say. But I do feel like I should call the police on it and I can't sit down right now.

Is there some total newbie beginner guide to ease the pain? Or like... an ice pack or some shit? Because OW.

A few beginner tips:

1 - From the starting area, head upwards - the other two directions are not meant to be done until much later (although you might want to visit each briefly just to grab a few items).

2 - For the most part, you shouldn't try to multi-class. Pick an offense stat - Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, or Faith - and stick with it (although you might need to put a few points into another stat for equipment or spell requirements) Vitality & Endurance are good for everyone. Resistance isn't too hot and is mostly just a stat you use if you've already maxed out everything else you care about.

3 - Pyromancy is good with anyone since it doesn't require stats to use. Also, the Pyromancer is generally the best starting class.

4 - The triangle button switches your stance to hold a weapon with both hands. It's more useful than it may see - it gives a 50% bonus to Strength and changes your move list. Some weapons like the Hand Axe, Mace, and Club have their guard-break stat increase in this mode as well.

Yeah, I was tricked by the dude by the fire saying there was a bell at the top of the mountain and down in the city. I am now in the undead burg and... uhh... fuck the fire throwing undead guys. They can eat so many dicks. But I'm having a lot of fun now. Aside from the fire throwing guys. And all the dicks they should be eating.

Artheleron.png
  • Inker2000Inker2000 Registered User regular
    anyone know of a glitch where you cant pick items up anymore? ive been going through blighttown, and the eagle shield and whip have both disappeared. i try to pick items up, my character does the pick up animation, but nothing happens. an orange armor/treasure sack symbol appears on the ground. this is my second character, no problems on the first playthrough.

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Soooooooooooo I just bought this for 360. Played through the opening area to the first real area of the game.

I don't want to say this game raped me per say. But I do feel like I should call the police on it and I can't sit down right now.

Is there some total newbie beginner guide to ease the pain? Or like... an ice pack or some shit? Because OW.

A few beginner tips:

1 - From the starting area, head upwards - the other two directions are not meant to be done until much later (although you might want to visit each briefly just to grab a few items).

2 - For the most part, you shouldn't try to multi-class. Pick an offense stat - Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, or Faith - and stick with it (although you might need to put a few points into another stat for equipment or spell requirements) Vitality & Endurance are good for everyone. Resistance isn't too hot and is mostly just a stat you use if you've already maxed out everything else you care about.

3 - Pyromancy is good with anyone since it doesn't require stats to use. Also, the Pyromancer is generally the best starting class.

4 - The triangle button switches your stance to hold a weapon with both hands. It's more useful than it may see - it gives a 50% bonus to Strength and changes your move list. Some weapons like the Hand Axe, Mace, and Club have their guard-break stat increase in this mode as well.

Yeah, I was tricked by the dude by the fire saying there was a bell at the top of the mountain and down in the city. I am now in the undead burg and... uhh... fuck the fire throwing undead guys. They can eat so many dicks. But I'm having a lot of fun now. Aside from the fire throwing guys. And all the dicks they should be eating.

The guys throwing firebombs are a bitch when you're just beginning. Try to lure them away from their friends one by one, instead of charging right into the fray.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Or shooting them to pieces with a bow at range.

Once I am done with the Witcher 2 (well the second playthrough of it doing the other path) I am totally going to get back into this game. Hopefully the multiplayer is better now. Never could connect to anyone reliably on release.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ruzkin wrote: »

A few beginner tips:

The guys throwing firebombs are a bitch when you're just beginning. Try to lure them away from their friends one by one, instead of charging right into the fray.

There also aren't that many firebomb hollows, so you can get by with using situational terrain to your advantage. For example, the guys between the tower and the little cottage before the fire barrel trap are pretty slow to catch you, so you can run straight into the door and only the melee guys will follow you in.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    templewulf wrote: »

A few beginner tips:

There also aren't that many firebomb hollows, so you can get by with using situational terrain to your advantage. For example, the guys between the tower and the little cottage before the fire barrel trap are pretty slow to catch you, so you can run straight into the door and only the melee guys will follow you in.

Yeah, for some reason I wasn't thinking tactically while playing, now that I'm isolating enemies from one another, this is going much easier. Except for
    That big goddamn taurus demon on the bridge. Had him so close to death and then he managed to take the last bit of my health. Of course, I forgot that you actually have to camp at a fire to level your shit up, so now that I've gone from level 8 to level 10 and will be hitting harder and have more health, I think it's time to go say hello again.

Artheleron.png
  • TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Or shooting them to pieces with a bow at range.

Once I am done with the Witcher 2 (well the second playthrough of it doing the other path) I am totally going to get back into this game. Hopefully the multiplayer is better now. Never could connect to anyone reliably on release.

the multiplayer is crazy good since the large patch, to the point where it almost hurts my pvptimes because everybody outside of gwyn's area has a buddy or two. takes me roughly 5 seconds to invade someone in anor londo, and you can't go into high-traffic areas without tripping over signs.

Torgairon on
  • Inker2000Inker2000 Registered User regular
    well i may have discovered my problem. looked through my bottomless box and somehow had 6349 sacks, a head armor dropped from the butchers in the depths. still pisses me off, and no clue how it happened.

So it turns out I wasn't paying much attention during the tutorial and have been blocking/counterattacking, and not parrying/riposting.

Yeah... I feel like an unstoppable juggernaut of destruction now. Until I run into bigger enemies who squash me. I've got to get my roll timing down better, but I feel like the game's not impossible!

Artheleron.png
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    templewulf wrote: »

A few beginner tips:

Yeah, for some reason I wasn't thinking tactically while playing, now that I'm isolating enemies from one another, this is going much easier. Except for
    That big goddamn taurus demon on the bridge. Had him so close to death and then he managed to take the last bit of my health. Of course, I forgot that you actually have to camp at a fire to level your shit up, so now that I've gone from level 8 to level 10 and will be hitting harder and have more health, I think it's time to go say hello again.

Most enemies in this game are almost trivial if fought one at a time, but From is very deliberate in setting up situations to fuck you anyway.

Taurus spoilers:
    He's totally fightable in melee, but I didn't have a good enough grip on the systems my first time through. If you hit him with a falling strike, he goes down with (IIRC) 15 firebombs.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

btw... this pure melee kill of the hellkite dragon is inspiring

http://youtu.be/aEp9xHU3qzo

I've played for almost 200 hours I think, and i've never even tried to kill the hellkite.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

btw... this pure melee kill of the hellkite dragon is inspiring

http://youtu.be/aEp9xHU3qzo

I've played for almost 200 hours I think, and i've never even tried to kill the hellkite.

Because he's a bastard. I may try this method next time I play (which will be a couple of weeks from now, sigh).

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Oh man, good to know PvP is still full of the same bullshit that was in it on release date. Fuck gankers; they can suck a pile of fat dicks.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    i've done the melee kill of the hellkite as shown in the video.

im not sure how I feel. It's a legit kill, but all the frustration and horror of fighting it is gone. He's easy now.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    Oh man, good to know PvP is still full of the same bullshit that was in it on release date. Fuck gankers; they can suck a pile of fat dicks.

pretty much all my DS enjoyment after having played through 5+ chars is my 99 humanity darkwraith ganker camped out in front of O&S. anor londo has a great atmosphere to lag backstab people in, that's just a fact.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Pfft, the REAL way to kill the HK means standing toe to toe with it like a boss.

Which I tried.

And never completed. :(

wVEsyIc.png
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    i've done the melee kill of the hellkite as shown in the video.

im not sure how I feel. It's a legit kill, but all the frustration and horror of fighting it is gone. He's easy now.

It certainly seems more legit than shooting him in the back of the head and having him fall to his death... though not nearly as funny.

I'm definitely glad I was able to experience that glitch before they patched it.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    So I've reached Lost Izalith. I'm slightly disappointed. I have been HUGELY spoiled by having that Titanite Catch Pole drop off the first Prowling Demon I killed. I've been CRUSHING enemies with it. I created Quelaag's Furysword the other day and bumped it to +5 and even THAT isn't as powerful. I understand that it's also based on Humanity, but man... the Catch Pole +5 is like the greatest weapon in the game. And as far as armor goes, I feel like I've only used my starting Pyromancer robes, the Crimson set (with Gargoyle Helmet) and the Gold-Hemmed set. I've got 30 Vit, 40 End, and I'm about to hit 40 Sta. Maybe when I beat this I'll start over with a new character and play a different way instead of doing NG+...

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Emails for voting on the beginning of the end of the Demon Souls servers has gone out...I'm curious how it will turn out but I have a feeling darkness will win.

• LorkLork Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    So I've reached Lost Izalith. I'm slightly disappointed. I have been HUGELY spoiled by having that Titanite Catch Pole drop off the first Prowling Demon I killed. I've been CRUSHING enemies with it. I created Quelaag's Furysword the other day and bumped it to +5 and even THAT isn't as powerful. I understand that it's also based on Humanity, but man... the Catch Pole +5 is like the greatest weapon in the game. And as far as armor goes, I feel like I've only used my starting Pyromancer robes, the Crimson set (with Gargoyle Helmet) and the Gold-Hemmed set. I've got 30 Vit, 40 End, and I'm about to hit 40 Sta. Maybe when I beat this I'll start over with a new character and play a different way instead of doing NG+...
    The catchpole isn't that great. Its damage probably very impressive early on, but it has a terrible moveset, and you have access to all sorts of weapons that outperform it in pretty much every category after anor londo. You'll have plenty of opportunity to try out different and better weapons in NG+.

Steam Profile: Lork
    FINALLY managed Smough and Ornstein. I had to switch up my tactics completely - lighter armour, bigger shield, and switched back from my Lightning Spear to a +10 Claymore. Feels good to finally move on.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • The Iron ChancellorThe Iron Chancellor Registered User regular
    FINALLY managed Smough and Ornstein. I had to switch up my tactics completely - lighter armour, bigger shield, and switched back from my Lightning Spear to a +10 Claymore. Feels good to finally move on.

You can throw the dung things that the poison ogres drop in blight-town at Smough at just watch his health drop while avoiding his attacks. Or at least you could a couple months back, no idea if they have changed it.

...you tell me this NOW?

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • ShenShen Registered User regular

NG+ Gwyn, Super Ornstein and Four Kings are the most fun fights in the game, in my opinion.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    thematically the four kings are awesome but I'm not particularly fond of the fight execution, which is basically whaling on them, flasking when you need to and dodging spells. I think that description overcomplicates it, really.

super ornstein is pretty much the final boss as far as I'm concerned, especially if you're solely melee.

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    have you fought the four kings in NG+

edited May 2012
    nope, didn't read his post correctly and thought he only meant NG gwyn. I've heard they're way more difficult, I'm right outside of new londo on my NG char so I guess I'll see for myself eventually instead of trying to guess as to how it could be less of a flask-chugging slog.

Torgairon on
    edited May 2012
    basically, they do so much damage that tanking all of their hits and then healing up is not really viable and they have enough extra health that it is much harder to defeat the current king before the next one spawns

Nerdgasmic on
    Lork wrote: »
    The catchpole isn't that great. Its damage probably very impressive early on, but it has a terrible moveset, and you have access to all sorts of weapons that outperform it in pretty much every category after anor londo. You'll have plenty of opportunity to try out different and better weapons in NG+.

Any examples? I'm just under 500 for damage rating on the TCP. Quelaag's is the runner up at 430-something. The move set hasn't hindered me at all; everything dies in 1-3 hits (aside from tougher guys). Maybe doing it wrong? If there are faster weapons that would allow me to hit a Prowling Demon then block before his swing connects, that would be good... I think all I have left is New Londo Ruins, unless I decide to start killing NPC's like Gwyndolin, etc. actually, that probably makes sense, since I'm nearing NG+. Everything is easier on NG, might as well get those out of the way first, eh? Opinions?

damage rating isn't everything

weapons with more or all of their damage in one type generally do more because they have to go through fewer resistances

some good options would be anything with a or b dex or strength scaling at +10 through +15, fire/chaos or lightning upgraded weapons, or the moonlight greatsword if you're playing a mage

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    NG+ Four Kings is fucking horrible, hated it.

you can't go wrong with upgraded greatswords/ultra greatswords, the former category will probably give you the speed advantage you're looking for. claymores/zweihanders are both insanely popular regardless of playthrough number, for good reason, and once you've sunk enough into strength you start opening up other alternatives like the black knight greataxe and the dragon 2-handers.

just looking at the catch pole its scaling looks kind of awkward/nonexistent, but I've never tried it so maybe it's like a drake sword for the mid game, with low reqs and high base damage. also, nerdgasmic is right that a lot of that damage from the catch pole is going to face heavy reduction from resistant mobs.

The only enemy I've faced that I DIDN'T use the TCP against was Seath. I used Quelaag's for that one. I'm probably just being deliberately unwilling to change it up. I'll have to try something new and experience the game "correctly."

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

FIRE ZWEIHANDER!!!

EDIT: OF course it won't be as damaging as a full upgraded Catchpole due to not stat scaling but it's a real weapon. none of your washingpole shite.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    LOL yeah I've been using my Quelaag's all day and it's a lot better. So is the Lightning Sunlight Straight Sword +5 that I made. More fun for sure. Well, all I have left is the man himself, Gwyn. Quick question: do prices increase in NG+? Haven't seen that referenced anywhere.

• LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    LOL yeah I've been using my Quelaag's all day and it's a lot better. So is the Lightning Sunlight Straight Sword +5 that I made. More fun for sure. Well, all I have left is the man himself, Gwyn. Quick question: do prices increase in NG+? Haven't seen that referenced anywhere.
    Prices don't increase, but there is one thing you have to watch out for - you lose access to blacksmiths and embers until you unlock them again. Of particular importance is the giant blacksmith, who of course is not available until anor londo. I remember reading somewhere that you lose your titanite slabs in the transition to NG+ for some reason too. Just make sure you get all the crafting you want done in the near future before killing Gwyn.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Decided to play Demon's Souls tonight... But I'd really hate to quit right now, because somehow my New Game started with Pure White World Tendency for all worlds... that's like... the most awesome thing ever.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It's probably an online event. The US Demon's Souls servers are going offline permanently quite soon.

Achire on
    Lork wrote: »
    Prices don't increase, but there is one thing you have to watch out for - you lose access to blacksmiths and embers until you unlock them again. Of particular importance is the giant blacksmith, who of course is not available until anor londo. I remember reading somewhere that you lose your titanite slabs in the transition to NG+ for some reason too. Just make sure you get all the crafting you want done in the near future before killing Gwyn.

Thanks, I'm farming Dark Anor Londo right now building up my Faith, Int and Str. I figure I may as well smith the Divine sword from Sif's soul to better deal with the Catacombs. Plus I made the Tin Catalyst from Gwyndolin's soul, I'd like to take advantage of some those spells I keep reading about.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    remember to kill all the npcs too before you beat the game!

This discussion has been closed.