As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    I just got my copy of this game back from a friend and I spent hours playing last night. I picked up on a third character who I planned on being my Dex based character who focused on her bow. I discovered a couple things: 1) Bows tend to do shit damage unless you can get headshots and are not an alternative to melee. I was hoping to build a high evassive dodge fire kind of character. 2) The whip really sucks too. At +5 with 25 Dex is says 177 main hand damage, close to the drake sword (200) but when you actually use it, it does like 30 dmg on a hit.

For my Dex build what are the weapons I should looking to get that will scale well?

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    I just got my copy of this game back from a friend and I spent hours playing last night. I picked up on a third character who I planned on being my Dex based character who focused on her bow. I discovered a couple things: 1) Bows tend to do shit damage unless you can get headshots and are not an alternative to melee. I was hoping to build a high evassive dodge fire kind of character. 2) The whip really sucks too. At +5 with 25 Dex is says 177 main hand damage, close to the drake sword (200) but when you actually use it, it does like 30 dmg on a hit.

For my Dex build what are the weapons I should looking to get that will scale well?

I like the Falchion for Dex builds. It's light, has decent reach, and has good scaling. It's never going to do a ton of damage in a single strike but it's fast so you can usually get in multiple hits.

The Dex based weapon with the highest damage is the Murakumo but despite scaling well with Dex, it has a high Strength requirement to use so it definitely requires a firm commitment if you plan to use it. I've also heard katanas are good although I don't have much experience with them. Ricard's Rapier is also a popular choice for Dex builds.

Magic of some kind is a good thing to pair with a Dex build for 2 reasons. One, most Dex weapons are fast which makes them prime candidates for weapon enhancing spells. Two, high levels of Dexterity (up to 45) improve the casting speed of many offensive spells.

Oh and the best Dex bow in the game drops from an enemy in Darkroot Garden in the area past the sealed door (the one where you need to pay a blacksmith a ton of souls to buy the item that opens it).

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

I like the Falchion for Dex builds. It's light, has decent reach, and has good scaling. It's never going to do a ton of damage in a single strike but it's fast so you can usually get in multiple hits.

The Dex based weapon with the highest damage is the Murakumo but despite scaling well with Dex, it has a high Strength requirement to use so it definitely requires a firm commitment if you plan to use it. I've also heard katanas are good although I don't have much experience with them. Ricard's Rapier is also a popular choice for Dex builds.

Magic of some kind is a good thing to pair with a Dex build for 2 reasons. One, most Dex weapons are fast which makes them prime candidates for weapon enhancing spells. Two, high levels of Dexterity (up to 45) improve the casting speed of many offensive spells.

Oh and the best Dex bow in the game drops from an enemy in Darkroot Garden in the area past the sealed door (the one where you need to pay a blacksmith a ton of souls to buy the item that opens it).

Yeah, it drops on the illusion archer right? Before you get to the Cheshire cat covenant.

• FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    In the painted world, after you kill the dragon, you can go past its bottom half and reach the end of the walkway. If you shoot an arrow over to the other side, you'll hit something invisible that drops down to the walkway below.

Anyone know who/what that is?

steam_sig.png
    Yup, I already have the bow. Do we know if all bows have the same attack speed animation? I wonder if a short bow pulls and releases faster than a long bow. That may help my skirmishing tactics.

The ring that lets you flip around will probably help too. Along with poison arrows to apply a DoT for more consistant damage.

As for melee weapons I will probably just build a +5 fire weapon for now.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular

I prefer the Iaito myself. A +15 has A scaling, and works well with buffs. Not to mention it causes bleed at a decent rate and has a rather fast attack animation, like most katanas. The Durability is somewhat of an issue, but going to a bonfire with a repairbox and spending a few souls fixes the problem.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • ArthArth Registered User regular
    Great. So my power went out and now my save is corrupt and my xbox locks up if I try to load it. Fanfuckingtastic. I tried restarting as a pyromancer, and I sure as fuck can't seem to cast fireball.

Artheleron.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Arth wrote: »
    Great. So my power went out and now my save is corrupt and my xbox locks up if I try to load it. Fanfuckingtastic. I tried restarting as a pyromancer, and I sure as fuck can't seem to cast fireball.

G_G? Sounds like a good time to wait until PC release to me. Just gonna have to replay the whole damn thing over again anyway. (If you're getting PC that is)

Nah, just start over. The game only gets more fun as you get better at it. It's actually a stupidly easy game after you know where things are and become comfortable with the controls.

Sure there are hard parts but everything in between them is gravy. Plus, your new guy will probably be better than your first.

• $kill -9$kill -9 Registered User regular
    Well it finally happened. I finally got a Channeler to drop a Trident in the Archives (only took about 3 hours). Now I just need the last Sif soul in NG++ for Knights Honor and only Seath and Gywn are blocking my way to NG++. Easy right?

$ps -ef|grep your dreams
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    If you're already past Four Kings (and S&O) NG+, then yeah, the hard part is over. Seath is pathetic... and actually so is Gwyn if you have good tactics.

Dranyth on
    edited May 2012
    Edit: Dammit, meant to edit.

Dranyth on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    $kill -9 wrote: »
    Well it finally happened. I finally got a Channeler to drop a Trident in the Archives (only took about 3 hours). Now I just need the last Sif soul in NG++ for Knights Honor and only Seath and Gywn are blocking my way to NG++. Easy right?
    Easy. Just be absolutely sure when you make the sword that it's the right one. I've heard of people screwing that up before, and you do not want to be one of them.

Steam Profile: Lork
    Nah, just start over. The game only gets more fun as you get better at it. It's actually a stupidly easy game after you know where things are and become comfortable with the controls.

Sure there are hard parts but everything in between them is gravy. Plus, your new guy will probably be better than your first.

Oh, I'm already having fun starting over. Except I wanted to kill that big goddamn demon in the opening tutorial with fire. But because I bought it used, I have no fucking clue how to cast magic. :P

Artheleron.png
    edited May 2012
    You just equip your catalyst/talisman/pyro hand as one of your weapons and use its weak attack to cast the spell you have selected. Strong attack will attempt to bop them with the magic item.

Dranyth on
    Dranyth wrote: »
    You just equip your catalyst/talisman/pyro hand as one of your weapons and use its weak attack to cast the spell you have selected. Strong attack will attempt to bob them with the magic item.

Ahhhh, so I don't get to do it yet since I have to run from biggie mchugeclub. Fair enough.

Artheleron.png
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the standard tactic for taking down 'biggie' is to select the firebombs as your start item. Or just nuke him on NG+. You can also just hack away at him for ages until he goes down, but it's really not worth it imo

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    Yeah, the standard tactic for taking down 'biggie' is to select the firebombs as your start item. Or just nuke him on NG+. You can also just hack away at him for ages until he goes down, but it's really not worth it imo

The club he drops requires so much strength, you're probably not going to use it until NG+ anyway.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    templewulf wrote: »
    Klatu wrote: »

The club he drops requires so much strength, you're probably not going to use it until NG+ anyway.

Yeah and taking firebombs as the gift over the master key isn't a great idea.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Arth wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote: »
    You just equip your catalyst/talisman/pyro hand as one of your weapons and use its weak attack to cast the spell you have selected. Strong attack will attempt to bob them with the magic item.

Ahhhh, so I don't get to do it yet since I have to run from biggie mchugeclub. Fair enough.

Wait, do you get something special for killing him when he first appears as opposed to going to the upper level, going through the fog and drop-attacking him?

Edit: Damn. I JUST beat him using the drop-attack on NG+ last night. Oh well, I'll just trade in a Sack to Snuggly to get the hammer.

Edit again: I didn't kill all the NPC's before beating NG, either. Oops. Oh well, I'll just have to do that this time through. On the plus side, after rushing New Londo Ruins immediately after hitting Firelink in NG+, I now have +7 Estus. My Quelaag's is tearing shit up right now and my +5 Artorias Greatsword WRECKS the skeletons leading to the Catacombs.

Fawst on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2012
    yes, you get a Demon's Great Hammer

it can also be obtained by trading Snuggly the crow a Sack

Nerdgasmic on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Finally, I kicked O & S's collective asses without any help. Wasn't actually that difficult once I was wearing both Havel's ring and the dark wood grain ring, which helped me dodge out of the way a lot, so that seems to be one of the main ways to beat that fight.

That said, because I didn't summon Solaire, I can't get his good ending anymore, right?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    Not totally sure how that works, but if you aren't rank 2 Chaos Covenant, you can't get his good ending anyway.

DoctorArch wrote: »
    Finally, I kicked O & S's collective asses without any help. Wasn't actually that difficult once I was wearing both Havel's ring and the dark wood grain ring, which helped me dodge out of the way a lot, so that seems to be one of the main ways to beat that fight.

That said, because I didn't summon Solaire, I can't get his good ending anymore, right?
    no, you can

the only thing that affects solaire is whether or not you
    enter lost izalith through the chaos covenant shortcut and kill all of the bugs in the passageway

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    has anybody heard any encouraging news since the saddening rumours of 30fps locked on pcs?

obF2Wuw.png
    Hey cj iwakura, did you manage to get through the rest of the game without me? I've done every boss other than Allant now, but I'm after the monk's head collar and it looks like I'm not going to be able to get it without help.

edited May 2012
    has anybody heard any encouraging news since the saddening rumours of 30fps locked on pcs?

Yeah, but it was never confirmed as a thing. The producer said "don't expect more than 30 fps", which is crazy on modern hardware so everyone assumes a locked framerate.

Though I would take 30fps over whatever I'm getting in blighttown.

templewulf on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, just steady 30fps alone would be worth it for me.
    Though, to me that just sounds like "don't expect every PC to run it at over 30fps".

Glal wrote: »
    Yeah, just steady 30fps alone would be worth it for me.
    Though, to me that just sounds like "don't expect every PC to run it at over 30fps".

I agree, which is why I didn't punch my ticket for the panic train. But given that Dark Souls relies on presentation more than graphical fidelity, I feel like we should be allowed to expect more out of modern hardware.

Had a good hour tonight. Finally beat Lautrec (becomes trivial with the zweihander), killed Sif after two tries, killed Alvina accidentally (which was okay because I had already left the Forest Guardians) and joined up with the Darkmoons.

Speaking of the Darkmoon covenant, I was being a right ass tonight when I got summoned into Anor Londo to punish a sinner. Poor saps run up to me only to get smacked down with the zweihander. One smack later and they're dead. It was pretty fun.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    After giving up on Prototype 2 and getting sick of trying to set my Xbox clock to whatever Mars-time I need to get the final Anti-Cube in Fez, I popped this back in this morning to give it a whirl. Last time I had played, I started NG+ and got as far as the Hydra (by way of clearing a path through Undead Burg) without dying. Then the hydra killed me. So this morning I ran back, picked up my souls, killed the hydra, climbed the ladder, killed the cat things then killed Sif. Why did I ever think Sif was difficult? Granted, I'm pretty powerful now, but damn. That fight was not tough at all this time.

in NG+ your ability to do damage still greatly outweighs what it was during your first playthrough even though the enemies have increased health

that plus a shield with decent stability eliminates a lot of the challenge of the sif fight

• TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    So yeah, I thought this was interesting, if only because I love well-edited videos of games I like.

http://youtu.be/DecoCKD7RMM

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    there needs to be a checklist of all the things to do before beating the game.

there needs to be a checklist of all the things to do before beating the game.

Or a "best order for getting all the achievements" guide. Like don't leave the Gravelord Servant covenant before you get all the miracles for the "Get all miracles" achievement.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Lork wrote: »
    Hey cj iwakura, did you manage to get through the rest of the game without me? I've done every boss other than Allant now, but I'm after the monk's head collar and it looks like I'm not going to be able to get it without help.

Nope, I was in PA for a week. I'm still down whenever you are, though.

Are we all doing anything for Demons' endgame, PA?

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Nope, I was in PA for a week. I'm still down whenever you are, though.

Are we all doing anything for Demons' endgame, PA?

I don't know. I beat the game with two different characters now, and am working on a Magician right now.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    We should do some duels on the last day. See what the PvP's like before it goes away forever.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It might not be 'forever' for me. I loved the game enough that I might get the JP/EU version to keep going.

wVEsyIc.png
    We should do some duels on the last day. See what the PvP's like before it goes away forever.

Heh, the first PvP match I had involved me totalling a guy with my Blueblood Sword. The second and third matches were against someone who, if I recall right, was using a great-axe and simply just mauled me to death. The third fight was on my Meat Cleaver build in the Old Monk boss fight, and the jerk just spammed R1 with his crappy Dragon Longsword and when I hit him too hard, he ran away and used a Darkmoon Grass to heal himself fully. That lasted about 10 minutes before he chain back-stabbed me.

Yup, SOOO much better than Dark Souls PvP...

jagobannerpic.jpg
This discussion has been closed.