As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    demonssouls_faithful_serverscontinue.jpg

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Okay, so I fought the Capra Demon and am back at Firelink Shrine

is the suggested next zone down where those skeletons are?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular

there are some neat things there for you to try to get, but it could be tough, and you don't need to go there to progress until much later

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

there are some neat things there for you to try to get, but it could be tough, and you don't need to go there to progress until much later

Yeah, I was slowly getting the hang of dealing with the skeletons, and then the giant skeleton

So I was feeling somewhat confident that I was going the right way until like four skeletons and one giant all spawned at once

I am pretty into the shield-and-spear setup I've got going on right now, though

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Donnicton wrote: »
    demonssouls_faithful_serverscontinue.jpg

awesome

i still have to make my strength dude and my blue blood swordsman. was gonna do that in the next few months and was bummed that id be doing it in a dead world

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Oh! I might actually pick up Demon's Souls now. I wasn't going to with the servers going away.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Jeez, the game is starting to become like an allegory to its own main theme of undeath.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Oh! I might actually pick up Demon's Souls now. I wasn't going to with the servers going away.

Amazes me that people feel this way about the best game on the system. It's worth it even as a 1p game.

SL1 update: Maneater WRECKED US. What's a good(better?) weapon? That I can wield ideally. Royalty build.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Question!

At what point can I start invadin' fools and taking their milk money/milk souls

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    When you get the crimson stone.

Just killed Penetrator solo, L1. Biorr was there, but the fat oaf stood there and watched, so I killed that fool myself.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Will this be hard to miss, or should I make sure I don't pass it by?

I ask because I'm not really looking anything up, but if I hadn't investigated on the wiki a bit I would have never found the first undead merchant

or realized that I can buy Miracles from that one dude as long as I talk to him four times

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    ...you tell me this NOW?

Capra Demon would have unlocked a new path right next to where you fought him. Head down, prepare to cry.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

I ask because I'm not really looking anything up, but if I hadn't investigated on the wiki a bit I would have never found the first undead merchant

or realized that I can buy Miracles from that one dude as long as I talk to him four times

ruzkin is right. If you talk to the Crestfallen Warrior at Firelink Shrine, he'll tell you there are two bells. The second is in blighttown, and you have to go through The Depths to get to it. The key dropped by the Capra Demon has flavor text that gives you a hint, but really it's just a barred door down the hall from his rape room.

You can go through the graveyard to pick up some neat items, but the Catacombs beyond aren't necessary to beat until later.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    YOU CAN BUY MIRACLES?

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i'm starting my bow only run, well bow only plus a dagger for some close combat robin hoody stuff.

what are the best bows I should be looking for? I got the composite bow, and it seems that at +15 its the best bow, coupled with its fast fire rate, but I've heard that pharis might be better? Also the dragon bow, but yeah.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    pharis is better if you're building dex, plus it does more damage at longer ranges

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Bows are so broken.

Also, Old Hero down.

L1 run bosses left:

-Storm Ruler
    -Dirty Colossus
    -Astraea
    -Maneater(oh god)
    -Old Monk
    -False King Allant(nooooo)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    pharis is better if you're building dex, plus it does more damage at longer ranges

what's its rate of fire compared to the composite? Right now I'm considering making composite chaos +5, and Pharis+15

also Capra demon with bows only is really tense

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I just started this game this week.

I am so lost and scared.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    Also, Old Hero down.
    Excellent. Now go grab the MLGS so you can trade it for the miracle ring. Second chance is civilization.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    For kicks, I took on the Tower Knight and Oolan(1-5's BPs) with just the Storm Ruler equipped. Fun times.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

what's its rate of fire compared to the composite? Right now I'm considering making composite chaos +5, and Pharis+15

also Capra demon with bows only is really tense
    I think the rate of fire is exactly the same for all regular bows

also, I've heard something about how elemental stuff doesn't work with bows?

• Options
    only thing i've found saying that was a single wiki page, everyone else seems to say that chaos + fire arrows works fine

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    I just started this game this week.

I am so lost and scared.

Good luck :( I know the feeling.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    I have a copy of Demon's Souls.
    I've already played Dark Souls. What are the major differences between the two games?

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I have a copy of Demon's Souls.
    I've already played Dark Souls. What are the major differences between the two games?

Hmm... well, when you're alive/human, that's similar (you have to be in order to summon people or be invaded and such), but when you're hollowed/undead in Demon's Souls you only have about 50% of your normal HP bar. There's an item called the Cling Ring that if you're wearing it you get up to around 75% of your normal HP bar. Also when you're hollowed in Demon's Souls, you make less noise than when you're alive.

I've heard that parrying is... different, Dark Souls parrying is supposed to be easier on the timing or something. I suck at both so I couldn't really tell you.

Only two types of magic, Sorcery and Miracles. Pyromancy isn't a separate thing.

There isn't one big contiguous world, instead the game is broken up into 5 main 'worlds' and each of those are vaguely divided into 'acts', thus you'll hear people refer to 3-1 or 5-2 and such like that. It works well enough. And when you've defeated a boss, you can warp directly to the archstone there from the Nexus' menu for that world to be able to go directly to specific acts.

Edit:
    Oh, and the other major difference is there are a couple of light/dark systems for both your Character's tendency and each individual world's tendency. Each world has an event that happens at full white tendency and another that happens at full black tendency. Killing a world's bosses shifts that world's tendency towards white and dying in your living/body form shifts that world's tendency towards black. A whiter world lowers the HP of monsters and reduces their drop rate and/or quality of items. A blacker world increases the HP of monsters and increases their drop rate and/or quality of items.

Character tendency isn't used for much to my knowledge aside from some weapons that do more damage when at the extremes of character tendency. You can only shift your character tendency by doing interactions with other players online as I recall. So being summoned to someone else's world and helping them kill the boss of the area in their world increases your character tendency towards white. Murdering other players shifts it towards black.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    templewulf wrote: »

ruzkin is right. If you talk to the Crestfallen Warrior at Firelink Shrine, he'll tell you there are two bells. The second is in blighttown, and you have to go through The Depths to get to it. The key dropped by the Capra Demon has flavor text that gives you a hint, but really it's just a barred door down the hall from his rape room.

This is exceedingly not true, an undead who is nimble on their feet but lacking the master key can enter via the Dark Root Garden->Basin->Valley of the Drakes -> Blightown route. With the Master key you can go straight from Firelink Shrine -> Drakes -> Blightown. The advantage of going through Drakes is you enter via the wheel which cuts out pretty much all of Blighttown.

However for a first play through going through the depths is probably best otherwise you'll miss the Large Ember which is fairly important for upgrading weapons and there is some decent loot in amongst the utter hell that is upper Blighttown.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

This is exceedingly not true, an undead who is nimble on their feet but lacking the master key can enter via the Dark Root Garden->Basin->Valley of the Drakes -> Blightown route. With the Master key you can go straight from Firelink Shrine -> Drakes -> Blightown. The advantage of going through Drakes is you enter via the wheel which cuts out pretty much all of Blighttown.

However for a first play through going through the depths is probably best otherwise you'll miss the Large Ember which is fairly important for upgrading weapons and there is some decent loot in amongst the utter hell that is upper Blighttown.

Abloo abloo abloo. I was pretty sure he didn't have the master key, and I was laying out the "intended" route for beginners. I.e. the door for the key he just got.

And I don't agree that Blighttown is as bad as people say except for the goddamn frame rate. It's tough to plot the trajectory of poison darts when they travel faster than your drawing rate.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Generally, unless I want something that's only in Upper Blighttown (mostly Eagle Shield), I'll do the Depths and then use the Valley of Drakes shortcut to bottom Blighttown. The Depths is pretty easy once you know what you're doing and gives you lots of useful stuff (Large Ember, the first Pyromancy trainer, tons of souls for defeating the boss & the NPC invasion guy near the boss) so it's well worth doing.

• Options

Abloo abloo abloo. I was pretty sure he didn't have the master key, and I was laying out the "intended" route for beginners. I.e. the door for the key he just got.

And I don't agree that Blighttown is as bad as people say except for the goddamn frame rate. It's tough to plot the trajectory of poison darts when they travel faster than your drawing rate.

Thanks errbody for the guidance. Yeah, I chose not to take the master key to reduce the chances of just wandering into some hellhole on my first playthrough

I made it through the depths, despite being completely lost the majority of the time. I was also legitimately terrified for the first time, thanks to the undead cook. I ended up being helped a lot by an unknowingly well-placed death, since my glowing green essence helped me see how two areas were connected.

Also had a fun time after finding the bonfire down there, as I summoned a couple guys who promptly ran off in different directions. I wandered off in my own direction, and every now and then one of them would drop through the roof, or I'd see them from afar ruining some dudes and then sprinting off. I kept using the "shrug" gesture to try and indicate "help me I am lost wtf" but then they would shrug back and I think they were making fun of me

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Aaaaand playing a few hours of Demon's Souls made me buy Dark Souls again.

• Options
    Aaaaand playing a few hours of Demon's Souls made me buy Dark Souls again.

Oh? For what reasons?

• Options
    So I could play Dark Souls again.
    What an odd question. :P

• Options
    I mean, because you didn't want to play Demon's Souls or what?

• Options
    Oh. No, I am enjoying Demon's Souls so much I also want to play Dark Souls again once I finish it.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Still need to get dark souls. I don't know why I didn't get it. I will eventually.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Do it. It's like $47 at EB at the moment.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    That isn't helpful for those of us that have to pay a lot of postage for amazon products.

This discussion has been closed.