As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another Job Thread? I could do that at home with MS Word!

• Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Yeah!!

No I actually like her, but sod's law she'd choose one of the most expensive flowers that everyone now wants to have a replica of.

What did she choose it for?

To dazzle the peasants with.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote:
    Yeah!!

No I actually like her, but sod's law she'd choose one of the most expensive flowers that everyone now wants to have a replica of.

She was asked in an interview what the cheapest thing she owned was, and apparently it was a vase with 500 lily of the valleys.

(Lilies of the Valley? Lily ofs thes valley? I dunno)

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    ok i dunno

i felt kind of awkward
    maybe that was not entirely me and partly her?

i dunno ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh ehhhhhh

i feel like i wasn't super organized when she asked me to come up with a strategy for how i would go about analyzing some example problem, which is unfortunate

and i dunno how much i managed to get across about how awesome i am etc, it felt quick

but oh well

poo
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Yeah!!

Kate-Middleton-Bouquet-.jpg

Her bridal bouquet!

People just don't realise that is really expensive, it is not the customer's fault, I wonder if she thinks I'm telling her that to get money out of her. Sadly its not okay to say "look love, if you pay that much for it, it'll look crap", thats not professional.

• Options
    ok i dunno

i felt kind of awkward

i feel like i wasn't super organized when she asked me to come up with a strategy for how i would go about analyzing some example problem, which is unfortunate

and i dunno how much i managed to get across about how awesome i am etc, it felt quick

but oh well

I'm sure you did awesome.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    i appreciate your confidence in me

internet stranger :D

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    ok i dunno

i felt kind of awkward

but oh well

THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I FELT DURING MY PHONE INTERVIEW AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    oh my!

poo
  • Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    Borommakot wrote: »
    So on a scale of 1-10 how bad would it be to(assuming I get the job) turn in my two weeks at my current job and take another job doing almost exactly the same thing for the same pay at another place with the only difference being the new job would be something I'm incredibly interested in(hockey/ice rink management), considering I've only been at the first job for about four months?

Ice rink management is only worth it if they let you take the Zamboni for joyrides

Don't listen to her. Dust off the hockey equipment and get some ice time for free. Plus hire me on in some form of maintenance capacity. I play left defense (although last time on ice was many years ago).

FYI: your free ice time is at 4am on Tuesday

Enjoy!

Go ahead and laugh. I used to have three hours of ice time at 1AM Saturday morning (previously said Friday night) with our pick up crew. Talk about messing up your weekend.

But if the position has benefits at the pro-shop along with ice time, those would be some nice perks if you are a skater or have some in the family.

They don't have a pro shop, but they run almost all the local hockey leagues and maintain something like 20,000+ ice rinks across the country.

Want. that. job.

• Options
    well, after having that (in my mind, failed) interview, i had my compensation discussion

given that i got promoted i hoped it'd be a bit more but something is better than nothing
    at least enough that i don't feel bad buying that new ipad

poo
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    best of luck all people who are interviewing! I will soon be in that boat. aagh.

@liiya we used to have lily of the valley as ground cover in our garden growing up! alas, my parents moved and the new climate they live in doesn't support them :(

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Yeah!!

Her bridal bouquet!

People just don't realise that is really expensive, it is not the customer's fault, I wonder if she thinks I'm telling her that to get money out of her. Sadly its not okay to say "look love, if you pay that much for it, it'll look crap", thats not professional.

Why is it so expensive?

• Options
    Ahh lucky you! If I were them I would grow that stuff and sell it to desperate florists!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    /staring at email inbox

/hitting refresh even though it doesn't matter in gmail

/sigh

/goto 1

Edit: Just got an email letting me know they should have an update by Monday. Oh well. At least the immediate stress is off.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Aphostile wrote: »
    /staring at email inbox

/hitting refresh even though it doesn't matter in gmail

/sigh

/goto 1

are you expecting a same day response

poo
  • Options
    are you expecting a same day response

The recruiter let me know that they move pretty fast and I would expect a "next steps" by the end of the week. That was when the interview might have been on Wednesday/Thursday though. They scheduled it for today instead so it makes sense I suppose.

But still!

All this buildup I can't help but be excited.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    When I got hired at this job, I was told that it paid bi-weekly. Just like every other job I've worked. Whatever. I borrowed some money and restarted some subscription services based on this information. Today is payday. But there was no check waiting for me. That's odd. It wasn't going to be a big pay check, but still, I had planned around it.

Apparently, though, pay periods aren't actually paid to the employees until a month later. Which means this current pay period I'm on, that's actually going to be a full-time jobs' worth of money, I won't see 'til April 6th.

I am... I'm just so fucking livid. I've never experienced this at a job, and it totally fucks me over in so many ways. The job was seeming decent and now this goddamn shenanigan turned it totally upside down and I'm considering just walking away from it waiting for the next opportunity to come. I may as fucking well. But I'm trying to be smart about this. But I can't actually sustain myself for another month like this. Not that working for the next month will make the money I need right now appear any faster.

God fucking damn it. I really thought I had caught a fucking break.

• Options
    Yeah!!

Her bridal bouquet!

Why is it so expensive?

Its seasonal availability is late April to mid May. So only a few weeks! You can get it out of season, but then it has to be specially grown and therefore costs more. It also comes quite short, and not many stems per root ball, so you quite a few of the plants to make any impact and get a lot of stems! I was once told that, in season, you'd be looking at around £200 for a decent bouquet, and thats not when we have to get it shipped in from Holland but grown in the UK. Also with the stems being so short, its tricky to work with so you need a certain amount of skill to put it together, harder to do than usual.

Liiya's World Of Flowers!

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular

Sounds like a public television show.

With out-takes like, "ARGH! YOU DAFT BASTARD! NO ROSES ON MY SET!"

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »

Sounds like a public television show.

With out-takes like, "ARGH! YOU DAFT BASTARD! NO ROSES ON MY SET!"

Oh god. If only we could combine it with a bit of Bob Ross.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    I had to google Bob Ross.

• Options

He'd paint the happiest little trees whilst you arrange the vase of flowers next to the painting.

Its so beautiful in my mind.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    When I got hired at this job, I was told that it paid bi-weekly. Just like every other job I've worked. Whatever. I borrowed some money and restarted some subscription services based on this information. Today is payday. But there was no check waiting for me. That's odd. It wasn't going to be a big pay check, but still, I had planned around it.

Apparently, though, pay periods aren't actually paid to the employees until a month later. Which means this current pay period I'm on, that's actually going to be a full-time jobs' worth of money, I won't see 'til April 6th.

I am... I'm just so fucking livid. I've never experienced this at a job, and it totally fucks me over in so many ways. The job was seeming decent and now this goddamn shenanigan turned it totally upside down and I'm considering just walking away from it waiting for the next opportunity to come. I may as fucking well. But I'm trying to be smart about this. But I can't actually sustain myself for another month like this. Not that working for the next month will make the money I need right now appear any faster.

While that does suck, it's not worth walking away from the job. Once you start getting paid, it'll be a steady stream of income. If you still don't like it, then you can look around for a new job while you're still working, which is the best way to do it.

Sorry though. :(

• Options
    Silmaril wrote: »

He'd paint the happiest little trees whilst you arrange the vase of flowers next to the painting.

Its so beautiful in my mind.

He has a lovely melodious voice!

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

Have you asked about the possibility of getting an advanced payment?

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

While that does suck, it's not worth walking away from the job. Once you start getting paid, it'll be a steady stream of income. If you still don't like it, then you can look around for a new job while you're still working, which is the best way to do it.

Sorry though. :(

At my last job interview (which I got after I started working at this place) I was trying to arrange to work at both places (this current job needs me for nights). But for some reason, I'm just compelled to take an offer from another place and leave this one behind. I cannot get over how fucking stupid this payment system is. Even if the income does come in steadily, I'm going to get confused in trying to remember which checks may come up shorter than expected.

• Options
    what % raises do people typically get with promotions btw, i am curious

poo
  • Options

10% is standard in my company.

But then there are only six levels between coal face worker and CEO.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options

When I went from consultant to senior consultant, it was maybe 30%? Maybe less, but it depends on the level you're moving to as well and how hard it is to get there.

• Options
    hm yes. dissapointed a bit...

poo
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I say it should be significantly more than the annual raise you would get in your old position if you received a "great" raise (for that position). It is a promotion, after all. It should reflect better than simply excelling at your old position (even though that might have prompted the promotion).

[Edit]
    But, of course, if you're happy with the figure on its own merits and feel that it is commensurate with the new duties, you should probably just be happy. The grass is always greener.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    i'm a bit underwhelmed. 7% is more like it + my annual performance raise.

it seems i'm not alone in my complaints though. i care less than some of my coworkers seem to.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular

I've been promoted twice and each were 5%-7%, I think. But I didn't have a title change, just different levels of Software Engineer. I will need at least two more promotions to get a title change, so it's fair to say there's a lot of grade levels here.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Bleh, didn't get the position up at the college. There is an opening at a warehouse I am going to try, but that is like an hour and twenty minute commute for like $11 an hour, so not to excited about that. Then I'm gonna check around at the local sheriff's department, see if they got anything and/or know about any openings.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Well, the phone system crapped out. This is gonna be a quiet evening on my side.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Well, my school called me yesterday to come in and sub for a sick teacher, which I was glad to do, and I took the opportunity to tell them that I definitely could not do the 15-week training course until I was finished with my full-time studies, and that before I re-signed for another year's contract I needed to hear back from the universities I've applied to. And it was totally fine! Well, I mean, the owner could have been happier, but they were understanding when I put it all on the table. So... I've got some time to get the second thing figured out and at least for now the first thing is resolved.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blegh, the more I think about my interview the less happy I am about it!

Going to apply to other jobs all weekend to compensate.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Oh my god I need to get out of here

I was really kind of enjoying my time off, because I've essentially been working really brutal (cool, but, brutal) long hours for the past two years and have never really had.. more than a weekend off work.

But the novelty has quickly worn off when my father just said to me, in the midst of yelling at me to fix his computer, that I'm gonna be here for six months anyways so I better fucking show him how to use the computer while I'm here. I realized he expects me to take the job my old work says might be there for me in September, AKA, I would be staying in Vancouver, close to my parents, instead of leaving the country/moving across it like I'd like to. I don't think they fucking get that I'm leaving the country to fucking get away from them. Apparently my being near them for their beck and call to fix their fucking computer because my dad claims he can't do it like I was showing him because he doesn't know how to open a folder despite having just done it are more important than my career, dreams or happiness.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Damn, Koch.

You've gotta do what you've gotta do and they'll just have to learn to figure shit out for themselves.

This discussion has been closed.