Options

What are you making? [Artsy farts and craftsy asses]

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    today, i made a really dumb mistake!

we decided to melt down some scrap copper into ingots, so i got an old steel fire extinguisher that was kicking around the shop, lopped the bottom off with a portaband, and put it in the forge to heat it up

then the bottom melted out, and i got this

qT4JqYd.jpg

because the extinguisher can wasn't steel, it was aluminum

which i woulda known if i'd used a zip disk to cut it, because it wouldn't have thrown any sparks, but i shoulda known anyway because it was so light

WtCce95.jpg

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Does aluminum outgas when it melts in a forge? I know respirators were always a requirement when welding aluminum, but I'm less sure if that's purely because of the welding process or just the process of the metal melting.

• Options
    i believe it does, but in the quantities anyone'd be melting in a homebuilt foundry it isn't really something to worry about

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I just discovered a knife maker called RU Titley and I love his style.

I also now really really want a knife just like this

tumblr_n6k10tGJFC1shxqhro4_500.jpg
    tumblr_n6k10tGJFC1shxqhro2_500.jpg

So tiny and beautiful.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Oh wow, that is really awesome

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Does aluminum outgas when it melts in a forge? I know respirators were always a requirement when welding aluminum, but I'm less sure if that's purely because of the welding process or just the process of the metal melting.

Generally not hazardous but who knows what kind of aluminum alloy is in an old fire extinguisher. Modern alloys should be safe. If you're welding/melting most alloys they do not put off hazardous fumes.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    nSIAbK5.jpg

i made a toilet paper hanger

Zxchx6d.jpg

• Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    That's awesome! Now you have to forge all of your bathroom whatevers. Towel rack next, then tooth brush holder.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Then forge your toothbrush

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    way ahead of you

PEtyPdX.png?1

• Options
    :bigfrown:

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    :winky:

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    p8l96kep3xj0.jpg

Need to make another one because its a bit sideways at the jaw

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    So, a recent project at the jewelery class involved something called "marriage of metals", basically joining at least two different metals in such a way that they look like they've always been together. My first attempt was pretty decent.
    67F0CA47-081C-4F3F-9BB5-0A315CB69BC6_zpszdzq0tpz.jpg

The other side is kind of garbage, but that's okay. The next thing I'm doing with it is blocking off the silver and some of the copper (good side only) with nail polish and setting it up to patina in a fume box while I work my 12 hour shift. Here's the before shot.

58C2F296-38CD-4862-BA22-4229A4D0E602_zpskknaujm4.jpg

It's already in the fume box, and I'll be spraying it with an ammonia and pink salt solution about every hour, so it should come out interesting by the end of my shift.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Mid-way through the process update.

DD44AA57-C54E-46B8-82AE-FB1060692CE0_zpsihe3afeb.jpg

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    It might remove the patina, but one thing to keep in mind going forward with other projects is that you can take it up to a mirror finish by going from 1000 grit sandpaper, to grade #0000 steel wool, and finishing with a buffing of white rouge.

• Options
    Sanding will definitely take away the patina, but that is an idea for future projects, prepatina (minus the buffing).

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    PassionateLoviePassionateLovie Registered User regular
    I cross stitched Dean Winchester from Supernatural for my friend for her birthday :D
    k3xpt0kh92zl.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2015
    One thing I've learned is that it's hard to predict how a patina will go. It's also hard to say where it will stay.

AC7F09E6-C2B0-4AC4-8F0E-7534190FD828_zpsd4i4tqeq.jpg

23FDA5C1-67E2-49A5-8887-29F8C8B40D79_zpsywmysvjj.jpg

I'm debating whether to sand it down and try again, or to continue and finish it.

What sayest the Internet?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    I like the way the front turned out.

• Options
    Yeah man, the front looks awesome. If it were me, I'd paint the back or do something else to cover it up.

• Options
    I don't know, but you have some cool fingerprints

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    #pipe wrote: »
    Yeah man, the front looks awesome. If it were me, I'd paint the back or do something else to cover it up.

Yeah, I think I'm going to try to lightly polish both sides a bit, but if that doesn't help the back at all, I might just paint it black and then seal the whole thing.
    Darmak wrote: »
    I don't know, but you have some cool fingerprints

I... Um.

Thank you?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Fun with stain!

hvsv74ccdryh.jpg

7ghawbqiec60.jpg

I made a huge mess all over everywhere! Tomorrow, I will glue the fretboard down and glue the art work to the body. They are the last two steps before adding frets, adding clear poly, saying a prayer, and stringing it up!

• Options
    I'm not sure of this counts as a double post since I'm asking a question (I hope not!)

Does anyone know if applying clear poly to this will work? The 'stain' that's on it is a mixture of 1 part acrylic paint to 3 parts water. Spread on with a foam brush and wiped off almost immediately with paper towels.

I'm not even sure I need to clear coat it!

I also can't seem to find a situation exactly like this online anywhere.

Will the clear poly cause any drag when playing? Meaning, will it act like a wax and make it harder to quickly move from fret to fret?

• Options
    I don't think Poly is the right choice, you're better off using a lacquer.

Here's a good write up using automotive lacquer

http://scotts-workshop.blogspot.ca/2010/12/how-to-get-perfect-guitar-finish.html

• Options
    oh wow!

That is incredible but I think a bit more work that I'm ready for at this point. I really just want the neck to be smooth. The body is fine for what it is.

I will definitely bookmark that for future use when I get my outdoor shed up and running!

Thanks!

• Options
    I mean this dude is painting as his whole project and he's dedicated to getting showroom-shine

a clear coat will protect the instrument from moisture and wear, and also from the oils and acids coming out of your skin when you use it. The reason I suggested poly wasn't a great choice was because it drys thick and hard, I wouldn't be surprised if it totally destroyed the instruments acoustics. Sand it nice and smooth and give it a few coats of lacquer and you should be totally fine.

• Options
    Thanks, will do!

I sanded it to 220 before I stained it. Now I'm kind of wishing I had gone smoother. But I guess it is a cigar box guitar anyway. I'm not exactly Les Paul.

• Options
    You can also wax it down with carnauba wax on top of the clear coat. This will also fix any worries you might have with the finish causing drag.

• Options
    oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god

there's glue everywhere! This isn't how it was supposed to be! The bottle says it sands off!

ohgodohgodohgodohgod

d0vzj130536u.jpg

oh god

• Options
    Looks like you've got a sticky situation there.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Glue is supposed to come out of the join when you clamp it.

If it didn't, you didn't use enough glue.

Use a rag to wipe the drips off while they're still wet, then the rest will sand out no problem.

#pipe on
  • Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    Glue is supposed to come out of the join when you clamp it.

If it didn't, you didn't use enough glue.

Use a rag to wipe the drips off while they're still wet, then the rest will sand out no problem.

Thank goodness cause it did

• Options
    I was sitting in storyboarding class the other night and my professor mildly complained about how people couldn't draw boxes that squared with the page even with a ruler. I suggested that I'd bring my t-square to class if it wasn't so large or my combination square if it wasn't so hefty. Then I considered why I hadn't seen any t-squares with a detachable top, or just as an attachment for any ruler. This is one of those situations where it's nice to have access to a 3D printer.

f99d2d42-4a95-4c24-9d10-27852792831c_zpse5aeqzrc.jpg
    593a3f30-932e-4023-8f0f-0b79c73535a2_zpsdolxrhkb.jpg

A small T-square attachment for any ruler. You just set one side flush with the side of the slot and tighten the screw, and you can remove it after you're done with it. Admittedly probably useless because there's some 50 different options for similar ideas, but it lets me play with my printer.

• Options
    The glue does not sand off easily

I'm breaking out the 1/4" wood chisel =/

• Options
    Next time wipe it off with a damp rag while it's still moist.

Moist

Moist

Moist

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Next time wipe it off with a damp rag while it's still moist.

Moist

Moist

Moist

That was the original plan, but someone put a bunch of clamps in the way!

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I've used q-tips before to get the area behind clamps I can't get with a rag.

• Options
    Next time for sure

This discussion has been closed.