As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD

• Options
    freelancepolicefreelancepolice Registered User regular
    This is driving me mad but has anyone had any experience with the don't affect stealth detection flag on actors? I don't want my horse to affect it but damned if I can get it working. I've tried better horses as well which supposedly has the same feature. Do I need to start a new game or buy a new horse or something?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WadeWilsonWadeWilson Registered User regular
    I have to say, several hours into my no quest-markers game has made for a much more fun experience. I recommend it. The major differences in my gameplay is:
    -Dungeons are much more mysterious. (At least the ones I don't have memorized like Bleak Falls Barrow) Not knowing where the quest item/event is in the dungeon makes is much more suspenseful
    -Traveling around outside takes longer, but is more fun. No longer am I tempted to take the straight line path to my target, but taking roads, finding trails make me feel much more explorer-y.

Though as much as I'm using clairvoyance, I figured my Illusion skill would go through the roof. Clairvoyance gives you very little in the way of skill xp.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Most things give you crap towards skill XP it seems. That could stand tweaking too in some cases. I had the mage stone on the entire game and never got Restoration over 80 even cheesing it some/lots.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Most things give you crap towards skill XP it seems. That could stand tweaking too in some cases. I had the mage stone on the entire game and never got Restoration over 80 even cheesing it some/lots.
    And some things give you an incredible amount of xp. Every other time I cast muffle, I gain a level of illusion. Same goes for bound swords.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    This is driving me mad but has anyone had any experience with the don't affect stealth detection flag on actors? I don't want my horse to affect it but damned if I can get it working. I've tried better horses as well which supposedly has the same feature. Do I need to start a new game or buy a new horse or something?

Sadly, I can't help you. But if you find a solution, please tell me! Not being able to use shadow warrior when close to friendly NPCs sucks hard.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    WadeWilson wrote: »
    I have to say, several hours into my no quest-markers game has made for a much more fun experience. I recommend it. The major differences in my gameplay is:
    -Dungeons are much more mysterious. (At least the ones I don't have memorized like Bleak Falls Barrow) Not knowing where the quest item/event is in the dungeon makes is much more suspenseful
    -Traveling around outside takes longer, but is more fun. No longer am I tempted to take the straight line path to my target, but taking roads, finding trails make me feel much more explorer-y.

Though as much as I'm using clairvoyance, I figured my Illusion skill would go through the roof. Clairvoyance gives you very little in the way of skill xp.

So is this also a 'no fast travel' run, or do you at least use quest markers to know what cave you need to go to?

I can't imagine you'd find anything that way, but it sure would be an exploration event. :P

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Has anyone else had near-constant crashes every time you save or go between cells in Markarth?

It's not a mod issue--and the rest of the game seems fine. Is Markarth just famously crashy? I've only been in the city twice (back when I did the Forsworn Conspiracy quest).

EDIT: It is definitely an issue saving in Markarth (since the game is supposedto save whenever you change cells). Not surprising, since saving a lot is one way around avoiding Skyrim's long list of bug--figures saving itself would be bugged as well. Probably something to do with a local issue--I can save all I want outside Markarth.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    The thing that makes me the most happy about this game is that I've noticed that every time I take a break and come back to it, I play differently.

When I was playing through the main quest originally, I was all about the poisons and potions. What's that? You're taking 83% more damage to fire attacks, and I just fortified my destruction skill? Well then *FIREBALL*.

The time after that, I was all about summoning minions (particularly zombies, which really unnerved my ladyfriend who hates zombies with a passion).

I went on a strong illusion kick for a while where my main plan of attack was just using frenzy on whole crowds and trying to make bets on who would be the winner.

This time when I fired it up I'm having tons of fun with the paralyze spell. Just paralyzing tough enemies and hacking away at them with bound weapons to level my skills. It's fairly hilarious and a sad way to die... whittled to death.

So far, lvl 57 Full Mage character. I've got like 6 perks banked with nothing to really spend them on. I could get enchanting I guess, but I don't have enough perks to max it out. I also like not really having god mode on, even now. I never take health ups when I level, so I have ridiculous mana (680 or something) and like 220 health. I've never put a single point into stamina. So the thing about enchanting is how to make it fun without making it God mode. Not sure how to work that just yet. I have so much mana now that I can use the master level spells of schools I'm not specced into (like alteration) without breaking a sweat. Kind of a waste to go up that tree when most of it is cost reductions I don't need.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options

So is this also a 'no fast travel' run, or do you at least use quest markers to know what cave you need to go to?

I can't imagine you'd find anything that way, but it sure would be an exploration event. :P

It's not a "zero fast travel" but I walk everywhere at least once. For intance, when I got whisked away to Markath by a certain daedric entity, I walked back to Rorikstead, and fast traveled from there to Whiterun.

And no, I don't use quest markers on the overworld, that's what clairvoyance is for. :)

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The only difference between quest markers and clairvoyance is that clairvoyance is way, way more specific.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    So, end-game (?) question:
    I went to the realm of the dead, teamed up with the superfriends and defeated the dragon. Parthannux was less than pleased, I guess? Is that the end? No roll credits?

• Options
    So, end-game (?) question:
    I went to the realm of the dead, teamed up with the superfriends and defeated the dragon. Parthannux was less than pleased, I guess? Is that the end? No roll credits?

Yep. That's a wrap.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular

It's not a "zero fast travel" but I walk everywhere at least once. For intance, when I got whisked away to Markath by a certain daedric entity, I walked back to Rorikstead, and fast traveled from there to Whiterun.

And no, I don't use quest markers on the overworld, that's what clairvoyance is for. :)

Ahh ok. That's kinda how I've always played the game anyways, except with the use of quest markers. I never take the taxis anywhere and so, even if a quest destination is right next to a city I could get to by taxi for a much shorter walk, I make myself only fast-travel to the nearest discovered location and walk from there.

I wish I had the patience for a full-immersion run with no quest markers nor fast-travel, just going where the wind takes me and following NPC directions as best as I'm able to complete things... but there's just no way. Not all of it is impatience, of course... some of it is just that the quests in Skyrim are made with the expectation of quest markers.

• Options
    I should mention, I don't just run around with clairvoyance on. I generally use my world map, but I use clairvoyance whenever I get things like "Return to Bobby Sue" and I can't remember where Bobby Sue said she'd meet me.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Zhvhs.jpg

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I really do not know how they screwed up the magic school enchantments as much as they did. If they had severely reduced or removed the mana cost reduction and made them increase the effect of the spells they would have worked a lot better. As things are, it is far too easy to reduce the cost of destruction spells to zero and trivialize everything in the game, and without that equipment destruction is too weak to be viable in the late game.

Maybe next game we will get a better magic system.

Edit: Ooh...

Vic on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Weak. Dawnguard is going to be a timed exclusive on the 360.

I'm not sure how console timed exclusives play out for PC versions, but that makes me pretty meh about the whole thing.

Did Skyrim sell better on the 360 than PC? I find that hard to swallow; but I don't know why it'd surprise me these days.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    It's pretty silly that the PC userbase is made up of their most dedicated fans, constantly making new and awesome content and fixes for their game, yet Microsoft throws money at them and they keep doing the timed exclusive stuff.

Timed exclusives are always fucking stupid no matter what, though.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    Dawnguard! Coming EVENTUALLY!

Was really hoping for a little more than a teaser pic and a name, but oh well.

[SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    It's pretty funny how it went, they made an announcement that they were announcing something today... then today they announced that they would be announcing more at E3.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Weak. Dawnguard is going to be a timed exclusive on the 360.

I'm not sure how console timed exclusives play out for PC versions, but that makes me pretty meh about the whole thing.

Did Skyrim sell better on the 360 than PC? I find that hard to swallow; but I don't know why it'd surprise me these days.

Yeah its dumb but on the bright side it means PC players might get most of the bugs that pop up on the xbox fixed before their release

• Options
    I don't get timed exclusives. I'm not going to suddenly run out and buy a 360 and Skyrim just to get the DLC sooner than on my PC...

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I don't get timed exclusives. I'm not going to suddenly run out and buy a 360 and Skyrim just to get the DLC sooner than on my PC...

I always saw them as more for the people who think that there are actual console wars with winners and losers get to have something to gloat about.
    It'll get to the PC eventually so I'm not going to be all super bitchy about it, but timed exclusives are the silliest things.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    I really do not know how they screwed up the magic school enchantments as much as they did. If they had severely reduced or removed the mana cost reduction and made them increase the effect of the spells they would have worked a lot better. As things are, it is far too easy to reduce the cost of destruction spells to zero and trivialize everything in the game, and without that equipment destruction is too weak to be viable in the late game.

Maybe next game we will get a better magic system.

Edit: Ooh...

I agree with you about not loading the trees with cost reductions.

I'll disagree about destruction being weak. I don't use enchanting, and the only cost reductions I have are the 15% global one on a certain set of robes and a miscellaneous 20% destruction reduction ring I found (that I don't even feel compelled to use most of the time).

Power-wise, destruction is extremely viable without gross reductions. If you add in alchemy, Destruction becomes stupid powerful. Killing the last boss in under 10 seconds powerful.

Now, if you aren't a mage (didn't take the mana power ups) and use heavy armor, yeah destruction isn't that great. But it still can be with enchanting. I think that's a fair trade.

Current fun trick- using the paralyze spell on a baddie and then the fire wall spell under them while they land. MMM let's break out the marshmallows.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Don't timed exclusives give people the chance to review and form opinions on DLC. What if this is freaking horse armor again and instead of having people purchase DLC upon release, PS3 owners (who already have a sour taste in their mouth) and PC users hear that it sucks, IGN gives it a score of 5, you've now missed out on early adopters.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    whelp, gotta finish up the main quest somewhere i guess. im really enjoying the thieves guild stuff with my staby illusion orc, but do I need to start murdering townsfolk or something to get a Brotherhood invite?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    whelp, gotta finish up the main quest somewhere i guess. im really enjoying the thieves guild stuff with my staby illusion orc, but do I need to start murdering townsfolk or something to get a Brotherhood invite?
    go ask an innkeep about rumors

• Options
    JihadJesus wrote: »

Most Inn owners are more than willing to tell you about a rumor of a little kid trying to hire the dark brotherhood. Follow up on that.
    Aventius Aretino in Windhelm is the starting point

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Honestly the timed exclusive thing doesn't bother me that much unless the release for the other versions is ridiculously further down the road (ie. 1 or 2 years after the initial release). If it's two or even three months I can live with that, and I might even avoid a few annoying bugs that get patched out from the initial release.

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote:

As a bit of an aside from the suggested method above. There's a brief but interesting side encounter regarding the brotherhood on a road just a bit NE of whiterun.

Spoilered for those who haven't done the dark brotherhood stuff.
    You can run into Cicero trying to transport the night mother to the new sanctuary. You find them with their cart broken down on the road, and poor cicero panicking over the quandry of fixing a broken wheel.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Thanks Operative, I stumbled across that in another game but was never able to resolve it.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Well that's a pretty uninformative/underwhelming teaser.

Still, it's about damn time.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I seem to remember "timed exclusives" for the 360 coming out the same day for PC with Fallout 3, so I'm not to worried... then again, Fallout 3 was a Games for Windows Live title, so that might have been the reason why.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Doesn't almost EVERYTHING sell better on consoles? So on top of that I'm sure Microsoft threw some money at them and a 'timed-exclusive' was born.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Doesn't almost EVERYTHING sell better on consoles? So on top of that I'm sure Microsoft through some money at them and a 'timed-exclusive' was born.

Sounds about right. Now they can combo a timed exclusive DLC with kinect 'features'.

ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

• Options
    TravanTravan Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Well that's a pretty uninformative/underwhelming teaser.
    No kidding. Discounting the glowing eyes, this might as well be pre-release material.

Gamertag- Travan7838

• Options
    jkruse05jkruse05 Registered User regular
    Is anyone else still having a problem with dragon souls not collecting properly? I thought that problem had been fixed, but I was farming them recently (for the dragon souls to perks mod) and about half the dragons at the various lair locations wouldn't give up their souls, didn't even burn up.

• Options
    I've had that happen before and saw somewhere you don't get souls from re-spawned dragons, but someone else said you do, so hell if I know. But you are not alone! Though, half is a lot it seems...

• Options
    I know I killed a random dragon once, I didnt absorb it's soul and it didn't burn up. So I continued hiking to my destination. Then about after 5 minutes, the soul absorbtion triggered. That soul was veeeeerrrry strechy apparently.

• Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Mod I want for Skyrim: Infinity Edge weapons and armor.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
This discussion has been closed.