Options

Wrestling 2012: SET THE FUNKASAURUS FREE

• Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    pQqLY.gif

This pleases me.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    And that right there is the best top of the page ever.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Correct.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    All right, finally caught up after a couple weeks not watching.

Wow, things got pretty awesome while I was gone. I'm sold on the Funkasaurus because it's just too damn funny.

I also want to see Kane and R-Truth in a crazy off, that would be an amazing segment.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    The Penny Arcade e-fed was full results, which is why it ultimately died, unfortunately. The other people who were writing matches eventually all had to bow out, leaving me alone to write the cards. I tried but couldn't handle it.

Was sad to see it go, we had a pretty solid e-fed going here for a little while.

I remember it. I had a guy in that fed. Actually that was the first fed I was ever involved in. Sort of got me into it so now I'm involved in one on another forum atm. It's a shame that it had to fold but with folks disappearing and what not I can understand that it wasn't easy.

If ever you folks want to start up another one count me in though and I can help with match writing as well.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    What the funk

• Options
    mjn6172mjn6172 King of the Lurkers, also secretly a Freemason (shhhhh.) Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote:
    The Penny Arcade e-fed was full results, which is why it ultimately died, unfortunately. The other people who were writing matches eventually all had to bow out, leaving me alone to write the cards. I tried but couldn't handle it.

Was sad to see it go, we had a pretty solid e-fed going here for a little while.

I remember it. I had a guy in that fed. Actually that was the first fed I was ever involved in. Sort of got me into it so now I'm involved in one on another forum atm. It's a shame that it had to fold but with folks disappearing and what not I can understand that it wasn't easy.

If ever you folks want to start up another one count me in though and I can help with match writing as well.

Man, I had forgotten about the e-fed we had here. I had so much fun writing for The Hammer, it almost makes me want to find another e-fed to play around with, although with the little one now I don't have much spare time for writing.

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    sYEzo.jpg

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    The only thing the Funkasaurus has to apologise for is just being too damn funky.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    has anyone tried to play a EWR or TEW but doing it segment for segment with WWE and seeing how the matches go and how the computer grades the show?

I think it would be interesting to see what the computer would rate some shows.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    That sounds like way too much time and effort for something silly.

• Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    I loved Glacier as a kid. Though sadly I also remember his return or something and them making him suck. I imagine at least part of why I liked him was because I loved Mortal Kombat as a kid, so a Sub-Zero knock off was just perfect.

• Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    I never realized how much Chikara and TNA owe to WCW.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Eh, with CHIKARA they brought in Glacier for a few matches. At that same King of Trios they had team WWF (Ax, Smash and One Man Gang). They probably play off ECW way more, bringing in the likes of Tommy Dreamer and having shows at The Arena.

Speaking of The Arena, some historical stuff is going on this Saturday.
    EVOLVE 10

EVOLVE has a huge opportunity this Saturday in Philadelphia. Since it is the last wrestling show at the former ECW Arena there will be extra attention and more eyeballs on the product. This is EVOLVE's chance to win over new fans and make a "statement" with this event. Here is a match-by-match look at this Saturday's card featuring today's new stars and great upcoming talent:

Open The Freedom Gate Title Match
    Johnny Gargano defends vs. Ricochet

Gargano and Ricochet were the 2011 breakout stars with vast improvement, incredible poise and title victories to back it up. Now they have arrived and are two of today's most exciting new stars. We highly recommend watching these two, free videos for everything you need to know about this match:

Style Battle Rematch
    Sami Callihan vs. Bobby Fish

Callihan enters the match 3-2 while Fish has a misleading 1-4 Record. This is a rematch of the Style Battle tournament at EVOLVE 8. The two fought in the 2nd round of the tournament with Callihan gaining the win. However, the story is deeper than that as Fish had just been in a 25-minute epic contest against Austin Aries while Callihan had extra time to rest in the locker room from his first round match. Now both competitors enter the ring at 100%. This is an important match for Callihan, who can climb to an impressive 4-2 mark or fall to a medicore 3-3 Record. Fish needs to start picking up wins to match his ability.

Tag Team Action
    Super Smash Brothers vs. Chuck Taylor & Rich Swann

This is the first payoff of the DGUSA/EVOLVE union as now the buzzworthy stable of Ronin come to EVOLVE in the form of Chuck Taylor & Rich Swann. This bolsters the tag team division. Taylor & Swann want to start off on the right foot with a winning record as they try to get in contention for The Open The United Gate Tag Team Titles. Meanwhile, Player Uno and Player Dos have been building momentum in EVOLVE and a victory here will solidify them as a force.

Special Challenge Match #1
    AR Fox vs. Jigsaw

This first-time-ever match could steal the entire show. The fearless, high-flying AR Fox is primed to be the man in 2012 with a 2-0 Record and the win at Style Battle. Jigsaw, a respected veteran from CHIKARA, now wants to make his name in the singles division. This is going to be a great wrestling match.

Grudge Match
    Cloudy vs. Cheech

They reigned on top of the EVOLVE tag team division until Cheech's shocking turn on Cloudy at EVOLVE 9. Now they will fight it out this Saturday. This must watch video explains it all.

Special Challenge Match #2
    Pinkie Sanchez vs. Uhaa Nation

Pinkie Sanchez wants to build on his 1-0 Record, but he is faced with the new sensation Uhaa Nation, who will make his EVOLVE debut. Nation has just returned from a tour of Dragon Gate in Japan and has quickly won over everyone who has seen him wrestle. Sanchez is representing all the D.U.F.'s out there.

Tag Team Attraction
    Caleb Konley & Scott Reed vs. John Silver & Alex Reynolds

The Scene of Konley & Reed have quickly emerged as a very promising team. The cocky duo with Larry Dallas bring a 1-0 Record up against the new team of Silver & Reynolds. Silver & Reynolds are two of the more promising talents in the Northeast and this will be a big opportunity for them.

In Need Of A Win
    Jon Davis vs. Kyle Matthews

The title of this match says it all. The powerhouse Davis started to make his mark in 2011, but his 0-1 Record means that he needs to win. Matthews impressed DGUSA officials last March and now will get an opportunity to win his way on the full time roster.

Just Added
    Ahtu Has An Open Contract

The big, muscular Ahtu, who is sponsored by Larry Dallas, has an open contract this Saturday.

EVOLVE 10 on January 14th will be a night of opportunity. It is the first show since the DGUSA/EVOLVE union. It is the 2012 premiere. It is time to make a statement.
    The Final Segment
    we will give The Arena a proper farewell

The final segment on this Saturday in Philly will be "A Tribute To The Arena" hosted by Joey Styles. This will take place after the Johnny Gargano vs. Ricochet main event, which will be the last official match in the former ECW Arena.

"A Tribute To The Arena" will not follow EVOLVE rules and regulations. Anything can and will happen. It is the only way The Arena can go out. All we know now is Styles, the legendary voice of ECW, will start things out by introducing someone who is important to the history of the building. There will be extreme surprises.

One name we can confirm is New Jack. If we know anything about New Jack, it's that he is unpredictable and he never goes anywhere just to talk.

EVOLVE officials still aren't sure exactly what will happen in this final segment, but "A Tribute To The Arena" will give The Arena a wild and memorable farewell.

TNA on the other had doesn't owe anything to WCW so much as it emulates the terrible end times of WCW.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    I take it The Arena is being torn down or something after this show? I imagine that would be a pretty big wrestling landmark to have it disappear.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    KurnDerak wrote:
    I take it The Arena is being torn down or something after this show? I imagine that would be a pretty big wrestling landmark to have it disappear.

It's being renovated. The new owners aren't against having wrestling shows there per say but I think the issue is after the renovations it won't be suited for that type of event. I may be completely off-base about this however.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    So, once it is renovated it might be considered, by normal people, a hospitable place to hold an event? From what little I've seen, if it wasn't for it being a big place for ECW it wouldn't be worth noticing.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote:
    KurnDerak wrote:

It's being renovated. The new owners aren't against having wrestling shows there per say but I think the issue is after the renovations it won't be suited for that type of event. I may be completely off-base about this however.

From what I've heard they want to have it be more of a concert venue and the rent is going to be so high that wrestling shows won't be able to afford to go there, unless something at some point really wants to splurge.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I was reading a random WCW PPV review on the net and I stumbled across this quote in relation to Buff Bagwell:
    Apart from the story of how he SINGLE HANDEDLY convinced Vince McMahon to shit can WCW after he bought it with his match with Booker T on Raw. Fact.

This is the first I've heard about this. Can anyone here back this up?

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Basically this happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyC74s5oTD8

And then Vince decide he should bury all of WCW.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    As far as the arena goes, to the best of my knowledge it isn't exactly in the best part of town, its on a corner, and the people renovating it want to use it mostly for concerts, as in chamber groups. Not like Eminem and Nickelback.

• Options
    Basically this happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyC74s5oTD8

And then Vince decide he should bury all of WCW.

Yeah I remember the match but I never heard about it being the sole reason for Vince to give up on WCW.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote:
    I was reading a random WCW PPV review on the net and I stumbled across this quote in relation to Buff Bagwell:
    Apart from the story of how he SINGLE HANDEDLY convinced Vince McMahon to shit can WCW after he bought it with his match with Booker T on Raw. Fact.

This is the first I've heard about this. Can anyone here back this up?

It's true.

Read about it in a free Google excerpt of Jericho's newest book
    When Vince saw Booker and Buff stink the joint out, he was convinced that nobody from WCW had any idea what they were doing (sounds familiar, doesn't it?) and made up his mind that the company could never exist as a separate entity. So he took the same concept and made Raw and Smackdown two distinctly different shows instead.

So you can thank Buff Bagwell for the brand extension.

• Options
    At least he gave Booker another chance after that.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    wirehead26 wrote:
    At least he gave Booker another chance after that.

Bagwell got a second chance too

The only reason he was fired so suddenly, a week after that match, was because of a confrontation/fight (nobody's really sure what occurred aside from words) with Shane Helms, plus poor attitude problems backstage. It didn't help that he supposedly feigned an injury prior to that on a SD taping, and that Judy supposedly asked WWE to give him time off for said potential fake injury.

Basically what it came down to is, Booker deserved to stay. Bagwell did not. Booker went to great things afterwards. Bagwell did not.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    That match killed the biggest angle in wrestling's history.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    From the same site here's a gem from Mark Madden during Superbrawl 2000:
    As Kidman nails a top rope hurricanrana Madden comes away with the line of the night: ‘in one year this match will be for the US Title, in two years it’ll be for the World Title’

A regular Nostradamus that one.

• Options

If that's what killed the angle, Steph and Shane getting involved was the burial, and the payoff elimination match was sodomizing the corpse.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Dreamer, Sandman, RVD, New Jack. I bet all 4 of those folks are there for that final segment.

• Options

It still could have been saved if Vince was willing to shell out and get Goldberg but the XFL loses probably prevented him from doing so.

• Options
    Damn it, Tom. Your quote of that post is influencing my quote of that post. I wanted to quote the whole post but it only quotes what you quoted. Which is fucking weird.

Anyway, how should that angle have ended? I mean, its not like WCW or ECW won, WWE was the last man standing. Its kind of like having a man on commentary burying your product for the whole show...wait a minute.

No, but seriously, there really wasn't a way that was going to end other than "Yay WWE is great"

• Options
    The overall ultimate irony of the InVasion was that Vince McMahon stated that he didn't buy out any of the big name contracts (guys like Flair, Scott Steiner, Goldberg, Hogan, Kevin Nash, Hall and Sting) was because "it was far too expensive" at the time. Now, it was bad enough that Vince got WCW's names, licensing rights, and huge video library for far less than they were worth, but saying he didn't have $85 Million to buy out WCW's main-eventers is...well, just plain wrong. In terms of sales, the InVasion PPV event alone pulled in $65 Million. That was enough for Steiner, Flair, Goldberg, and Hogan with quite a bit of change left over. Many speculate that had Vince bought out Goldberg (WCW's biggest draw) and booked a Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Bill Goldberg match at the next Wrestlemania, Vince would have raked in more than quadruple the amount he needed to purchase those contracts. Not to mention the appeal of a Sting/Undertaker feud, as well as pitting Ric Flair against The Rock...

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Goose! wrote:
    Damn it, Tom. Your quote of that post is influencing my quote of that post. I wanted to quote the whole post but it only quotes what you quoted. Which is fucking weird.

Anyway, how should that angle have ended? I mean, its not like WCW or ECW won, WWE was the last man standing. Its kind of like having a man on commentary burying your product for the whole show...wait a minute.

No, but seriously, there really wasn't a way that was going to end other than "Yay WWE is great"

Here's a hint of how that angle should have went.

Don't involve Shane and Steph.

Have the actual members of WWE stay on Team WWE, and not switch sides willy-nilly like Kurt did.

Have the actual members of ECW and WCW stay on fucking Team ECW/WCW.

This isn't fucking rocket science. It genuinely upsets me that they had this perfect angle, yet fucked it up massively from the get go by simply not following any of the rules that were crucial to it actually making sense.

The instant Steve fucking Austin became co-leader of Team ECW/WCW along with Shane and Steph, that was the exact moment the trainwreck really kicked into ridiculous territory.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Holy shit it would have cost him 85 million to buy out all those contracts? All he really needed was Goldberg and Flair, maybe Hogan.

I didn't mention Sting because he wouldn't have gone to the WWF anyway.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Having the money to afford them and wanting to spend it is two different things.

• Options
    Goose! wrote:
    Having the money to afford them and wanting to spend it is two different things.

And like I mentioned before he already took a massive loss on the XFL. So you could blame that for the whole mess if you want.

• Options
    Let me give you an idea of how over the angle was before everything Sweeney Tom mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDY55Q-b1Y

You hear that ovation? That's for LANCE STORM. I know they're in Canada and Lance Storm always deserved to be more over than he was...

but LANCE STORM.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Pwnan that's not entirely accurate since it was the very first WCW guy to show up. And let's face facts, had it not been in Canada the ovation wouldn't have been nearly as loud.

This discussion has been closed.