As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hyberbole and a [chat]

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    PantsB wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    I like how languages are static. I also remember 10 years ago when "fishes" wasn't a word too.

Fishes is a word, its just not the normal plural of singular fish. Its a plural of plural fish in the same way peoples is the plural of people.

That's still improper and it appears the dictionary disagrees with peoples being a thing. Edit: Apparently it is, derp. That's what I get for not checking merriam.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I think there's been a general trend toward standardizing some things

like "fishes" or the "'s" after words ending with s

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    the day after performance pay is implemented at this job, we essentially run out of work

awesome

my paychecks are going to look like they did when i was a student

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    abd i'm glad that one of norway's eight black people shares my position

he's a grand dude

very much a... sexual being

so he gonna be touchy

but a cool dude

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Mice, mouses.

meeses

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Chu, for what it is worth, I share your position as well. Every time a girl has been like, "oh, no, just like...come in this napkin" it's like "If I wanted to feel gross and lonely I would have just jerked it into a napkin on my own, thanks"

Though the one and only time I have came on a persons face it was 100% a dominance thing.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    "black" wasn't his preferred nomenclature, though

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Penises.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Abdhyius wrote:

colored, for sure

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Having someone cum in your mouth is about a thousand times grosser than kissing someone who blew you. It's not really a great comparison.

Also gogo introduction!
    In this paper I seek to examine the epistemological consequences of ethical disagreement: how does the possibility of deep, irresolvable disagreement over ethical matters effect our ability to claim ethical knowledge? I will argue that such a possibility would be toxic to our ability to claim knowledge in the realm of ethics; as such, ethical knowledge cannot be preserved against a background where possible disagreement is unlimited. This, in turn, motivates us to look for a conception of ethics on which our basic access to ethical truth is not subject to unlimited disagreement.

The structure of the paper will be as follows: in section 2, I will sketch three broad possible views of the epistemology of ethics: the empirical model, pure coherence, and reductive epistemology. I will then give reasons to think that the empirical model and the pure coherence views cannot be correct. These classifications, as well as the objections there rehearsed, are entirely borrowed from Setiya (ms).

In section 3, I will then turn to reductive epistemology. I will argue that it also cannot be correct. Unlike the previous section, these objections are not borrowed from elsewhere; they are original to this paper, and they will constitute the bulk of this paper. What will emerge is a conception of non-accidental reliability which privileges first-person access: non-accidental reliability is reliability which the subject understands.

With this concept of reliability in hand, in section 4 I will then return to the empirical model. I will then show how the empirical model can be amended such that it satisfies the demand for non-accidental reliability; it will be crucial that in doing so we limit the scope of possible disagreement. We should carry out this amendment, and believe the subsequent theory. My argument here is simply everything that has come before: since the non-amended version, pure coherence, and reductive epistemology all fail, we ought to believe the amended empirical model.

I will then conclude by discussing, extremely briefly, the implications of the amended empirical model for normative ethics.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    TehSloth wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    Anyone have any history of biometric time clocks? Something so someone can clock in/out and for lunches/breaks just by using their fingerprint/hand without needing to punch cards that I can pull data from (even if it's just a csv or something).

I imagine you could easily do it with RFID cards, biometrics would probably be a lot more work. The badges we use to get through doors at my office could easily be used for time tracking, you'd just have to make people sign out instead of just signing in.

Got any hardware links? We use little RFID chips for opening the door, not sure if they're IDed or not.

Not really sure, just know they're Indala cards, and there's a big fancy computer system in a closet that manages permissions and logs all the time stuff.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    why would you go mm/dd/yyyy

you should go from the smallest unit to the largest, or vice versa

• Options
    Why did I write napkin twice instead of kleenex? No one uses napkins. Fucking brain.

• Options
    "It's icky" well it's not like a guy can't just drool your cooch-phlegm-sauce away.. well they can but that's super messy.

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    PantsB wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    I like how languages are static. I also remember 10 years ago when "fishes" wasn't a word too.

Fishes is a word, its just not the normal plural of singular fish. Its a plural of plural fish in the same way peoples is the plural of people.

That's still improper and it appears the dictionary disagrees with peoples being a thing. Edit: Apparently it is, derp. That's what I get for not checking merriam.

Peoples I get - we have these people and those people and that people. We have all the peoples here.

Fishes I can't really think of the same use for

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Organichu wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

colored, for sure

no

also would just be strange - colored isn't even a thing in norway, plus, he wasn't the only dark-skinned person there.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    Gooey wrote:
    Mice, mouses.

meeses

Finally!

I was waiting on baited breath for this response.

You're a good guy, Gooey.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    PantsB wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Peoples I get - we have these people and those people and that people. We have all the peoples here.

People would still be fine I would say, I honestly can't find a use for either, it sounds funny.

Fish is fish, whether it's a big fish or a little fish, together they're still a bunch of fish.

• Options
    thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    If you say fishes everyone is going to know what you mean by it.

Of course, some people might also look down their nose at you for it.

I wouldn't put it in an essay, that's for sure.

You could, if you were talking about fishes, but not if you were just talking about multiple fish, because then it would be wrong.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    bowen wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    PantsB wrote:
    bowen wrote:

People would still be fine I would say, I honestly can't find a use for either, it sounds funny.

Fish is fish, whether it's a big fish or a little fish, together they're still a bunch of fish.

No, people would be wrong.

you can say "a people", you know

EDIT: Peoples is about multiple different people

EDITEDIT: People like israelites, not like john

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MrMister wrote:
    Having someone cum in your mouth is about a thousand times grosser than kissing someone who blew you. It's not really a great comparison.

if you're referencing me- instead of that disgusting, unwashed norwegian- the prime analog i used was cunnilingus during menstruation

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:

You could, if you were talking about fishes, but not if you were just talking about multiple fish, because then it would be wrong.

Language in a conversation isn't about being right or wrong, it's about if what you were communicating was relayed successfully or not.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

how do you say a date

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    bowen wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    PantsB wrote:
    bowen wrote:

have you seriously not seen the way "peoples" is used? that's really surprising. it's got a very specific use with a meaning distinct from "people", i.e. "people" refers to individuals within a group, and "peoples" refers to the groups themselves

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Bowen wrote:
    can't just drool your cooch-phlegm-sauce away.

This is assuredly the phrase of the day.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

putting the date first seems weird to me because the date is meaningless without the month

the month is necessary context and i don't understand why you'd put it second

• Options
    MrMister wrote:

Also gogo introduction!
    In this paper I seek to examine the epistemological consequences of ethical disagreement: how does the possibility of deep, irresolvable disagreement over ethical matters effect our ability to claim ethical knowledge? I will argue that such a possibility would be toxic to our ability to claim knowledge in the realm of ethics; as such, ethical knowledge cannot be preserved against a background where possible disagreement is unlimited. This, in turn, motivates us to look for a conception of ethics on which our basic access to ethical truth is not subject to unlimited disagreement.

The structure of the paper will be as follows: in section 2, I will sketch three broad possible views of the epistemology of ethics: the empirical model, pure coherence, and reductive epistemology. I will then give reasons to think that the empirical model and the pure coherence views cannot be correct. These classifications, as well as the objections there rehearsed, are entirely borrowed from Setiya (ms).

In section 3, I will then turn to reductive epistemology. I will argue that it also cannot be correct. Unlike the previous section, these objections are not borrowed from elsewhere; they are original to this paper, and they will constitute the bulk of this paper. What will emerge is a conception of non-accidental reliability which privileges first-person access: non-accidental reliability is reliability which the subject understands.

With this concept of reliability in hand, in section 4 I will then return to the empirical model. I will then show how the empirical model can be amended such that it satisfies the demand for non-accidental reliability; it will be crucial that in doing so we limit the scope of possible disagreement. We should carry out this amendment, and believe the subsequent theory. My argument here is simply everything that has come before: since the non-amended version, pure coherence, and reductive epistemology all fail, we ought to believe the amended empirical model.

I will then conclude by discussing, extremely briefly, the implications of the amended empirical model for normative ethics.

they were arguing against any amount of sperm touching your lips, and we were arguing against that again. There wasn't no comparison.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote:

how do you say a date

the twelfth of january, two thousand and twelve :P

• Options
    Gooey wrote:

how do you say a date

It was the 8th day of the 7th month in the 2010th year of our Lord.

You?

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    PantsB wrote:
    bowen wrote:

If you had, for instance, one species of bony fish and one of cartilaginous fish in the same water, you would have multiple fish and two fishes.

And if this population spread into another geographic region then they would also exist in the same waters as well as the same water.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Fishes is for multiple types of fish.

So if you have some cod and some carp, those be fishes, yo.

Or it's how the word is most often used.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Gooey wrote:

how do you say a date

ss/mm/hh/dd/mm/yyyy

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

Language in a conversation isn't about being right or wrong, it's about if what you were communicating was relayed successfully or not.

I was going off what you said about putting it in an essay.

• Options
    If bitches don't like the taste of my jizz they should just learn to take it deep while I bust a nut. Feels better for me and the load is already mostly past their tongue.

Wut.

• Options
    I was going off what you said about putting it in an essay.

Oh, yes. Sorry, I misunderstood. We are in agreement then.

In related news.

I am sad no one took my Octopus, Octopuses bait :P

• Options
    edited January 2012
    fishes is a different case

singular fish, plural fish vs singular person, plural people

"various peoples invented the wheel at the same time", sure

"various fishes evolved more efficient fins in the same epoch"?

nah, you'd say "fish"

just like how there is no call to use "sheeps" or "deers"

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote:
    TehSloth wrote:
    Tamin wrote:
    Who pays a minimum of $3,700 for a computer and isn't going to build it themselves?

I'm trying to determine how Falcon Northwest is still in business.

People who want a really sweet computer and don't have the interest in building it. It's not really that uncommon, and Falcon Northwest does at least do some pretty good airbrush work on their cases if I'm remembering correctly. If having the coolest looking computer was something I actually cared about and I had enormous disposable wealth I'd probably get a big badass watercooled voodoo because I can't be assed with origami like cable folding and management anymore.

It seems like voodoo doesn't actually do big badass water cooled stuff anymore so I guess I'd have to look elsewhere.

I wish I had that kind of disposable income :(

I didn't really see how that kinda stuff could be popular until I went to a LAN with a bunch of dudes I work with. Lots of youngish professionals in their late 20s/early 30s with a great deal of disposable cash and not quite enough time to really stay on top of that stuff because they're starting to have families. They just wanna be able to have something that does everything without much fuss and flashyness is a nice perk. As hobbies go dropping 3-5 grand every year or two on a computer isn't that bad. About on par with going out and golfing twice a month.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    bowen wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    PantsB wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Its more like:

"There are three variety of fishes that could eat your head before you realized they were there. The Super Ninja Shark will eat up to 200 fish a day..."

and

"The Super Inclusive Happy Time celebrates the culture of many peoples of the world. Sixteen people will enjoy Nepalese checkers while eating...."

or from that http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fish link
    a : an aquatic animal —usually used in combination <starfish> <cuttlefish> b : any of numerous cold-blooded strictly aquatic craniate vertebrates that include the bony fishes and usually the cartilaginous and jawless fishes and that have typically an elongated somewhat spindle-shaped body terminating in a broad caudal fin, limbs in the form of fins when present at all, and a 2-chambered heart by which blood is sent through thoracic gills to be oxygenated
    : the flesh of fish used as food
    Both plural, but different kinds

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Semen tastes awful and expecting someone to swallow, or getting pissy when they don't, is lame. That's all I'm sayin'.

• Options
    fishes is a different case

singular fish, plural fish vs singular person, plural people

"various peoples invented the wheel at the same time", sure

"various fishes evolved more efficient fins in the same epoch"?

nah, you'd say "fish"

just like how there is no call to use "sheeps" or "deers"

when people from multiple regions are all willingly ignorant, sucking at the teat of the illuminati, i call them sheeples

This discussion has been closed.