As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

haters only

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Matey wrote: »
    have we ever thought

that insinuating people should be killed for their beliefs no matter how terrible they may be

makes us as bad as them

if not worse

Nope, but it sure is fun to say.

And i'll kill you if you disagree!

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Matey wrote:
    have we ever thought

that insinuating people should be killed for their beliefs no matter how terrible they may be

makes us as bad as them

if not worse

it was mostly hyperbole on my part
    Pharezon wrote:
    The onus of education should NEVER be on the minority. That's fucking stupid. To think that every single person a part of that minority has to act diplomatically is a luxury of privilege afforded to the hetero cisgender male majority.

true enough

but i try my damnedest to explain things just because i'd like to be able to say I TRIED

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Tef wrote:
    "I've got no problems with gay blokes, but if they try and chat me up I'd knock 'em out"

I have a friend like this.

It's kind of annoying.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I am actually okay with never living with someone else again

I can't even sleep in the same bed as someone else unless I am drunk

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote:
    Tef wrote:
    "I've got no problems with gay blokes, but if they try and chat me up I'd knock 'em out"

I have a friend like this.

It's kind of annoying.

I know a girl who doesn't have any problems with gay dudes

but has a huge problem with lesbians

my reaction was: "lol you're a homophobe"

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Also I hate everyone who does not understand the concept of privilege or denies having it when they clearly do.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    i've got two really good housemates and two shitty ones one of which is my roommate who i was pressured into rooming with so basically this whole situation is my fault

but i'm already at maximum self hate so it's much easier to hate him

i just wanna be able to jack off at any hour and then have my dog sleep in the room with me.

those acts are not related, just equally important

i swear

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    Matey wrote:
    have we ever thought

makes us as bad as them

if not worse

Pharezon wrote:
    The onus of education should NEVER be on the minority. That's fucking stupid. To think that every single person a part of that minority has to act diplomatically is a luxury of privilege afforded to the hetero cisgender male majority.

true enough

but i try my damnedest to explain things just because i'd like to be able to say I TRIED

Whicih part was not hyperbole

Was it Killdozer

• Options
    Pharezon wrote:
    Also I hate everyone who does not understand the concept of privilege or denies having it when they clearly do.

I feel like I can't claim to understand it at all.

Because well.. I have it?

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:

true enough

Unfortunately, while the onus of education should never be on the minority, the majority seldom are the ones who take up the slack.

• Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:

the concept

• Options
    Buttlord wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    Matey wrote:
    have we ever thought

makes us as bad as them

if not worse

Pharezon wrote:

true enough

Whicih part was not hyperbole

Was it Killdozer

robot body

that would then TURN INTO killdozer

• Options
    Uriel wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:

the concept
    Yeah, oh...

sorry I'll stop posting I'm kinda drunk.

• Options
    Pharezon wrote:

Look I am a straight white rich cisgendered Christian man in America

I'm the one being oppressed here

(This is a joke, also I'm only most of those things see if you can guess which I'm not)

• Options
    Antimatter wrote:
    robot body

Fuck yeah

Can I ride your killdozer

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:

(This is a joke, also I'm only most of those things see if you can guess which I'm not)
    if you think you aren't rich you are wrong

• Options
    privileges

I guess I have some

But not many

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote:

Christian.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Melding wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:

Christian.

That's one

Also would have accepted "rich"

Buttlord on
  • Options
    heat's back on

what a fucking luxury

if you have heat, take a minute and appreciate that

also, if you aren't congested, appreciate that, too

every time I'm sick I think about how little I appreciate being able to goddamn breathe through my nose

• Options
    hey rich people

gimme money

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    wandering wrote:
    Buttlord wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:

I wish I was rich

• Options
    hey rich people

gimme money

no

• Options
    I'm just glad that I wasn't raised to be a prick towards people I don't understand.

I like beings able to talk to people about things that I don't understand. I mean, it's nice to try and learn.

But I guess that's a better attitude than most people have.

• Options
    Buttlord wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    robot body

Fuck yeah

perhaps

how do you feel about a permanently closed control room

• Options
    hey rich people

gimme money

no

fuck you you don't need it all

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote:
    Buttlord wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    robot body

Fuck yeah

perhaps

how do you feel about a permanently closed control room

Sounds hot

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:

Christian.

That's one

Also would have accepted "rich"

scotiabank3647.jpg

• Options
    does having a negative worth count as rich?

I mean i'm still white so there's that

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    hey rich people

gimme money

no

but my recreational hobbies

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I hate that this thread is gaining 10 pages for every page I read.
    I hate that I won't even reach this post for probably an hour.
    Cause I hate double posting things and have to make absolutely sure, so I am gonna read every friggin page because
    I hate my OCD

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    hey rich people

gimme money

no

Do you really need the second super yacht?

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Here is a helpful guide to privilege:
    What is privilege?
    It's not the dictionary definition. (Which, for the record, is: a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most: the privileges of the very rich.)
    But it does get close. In a social activist-type context, "privilege" refers to a set of advantages that groups favoured by society receive, just by being in that group.
    Think of it like this: upon birth, members of the privileged group get an invisible jetpack. They're so used to having this jetpack that they don't notice it at all, even though they use it to help them get past daily obstacles. For everyone who's not in the privileged group, the jetpacks are pretty damned obvious. The thing is, if you had the pack on, you'd never notice unless you started looking for it.
    This is privilege: benefits or advantages that someone receives by being part of a majority group. (I am referring to a power majority, not necessarily a numerical majority.)
    Privilege is very dependent on culture. For example, a white person living in America is privileged, because they are part of an ethnic majority. But if the same person moved to China, the list of privileges they would have would be drastically different. Similarly, a Han Chinese person living in China would have very different privileges if that person moved to a country where the Han Chinese were an ethnic minority.
    tl;dr: Privilege is a societal phenomenon, where members of a certain, favoured group have advantages that non-members do not have.
    There are many lists on the internet that detail the specific kinds of privilege different groups have. They are generally written as if a member of the privileged group was saying them, but are often compiled by the non-privileged group.
    Who is privileged?
    Generally speaking? Groups which have held power over the country for a long time, and those that society views as "normal". In other words:
    racial majorities
    men
    straight people
    cisgendered people
    neurotypical people (i.e. not on the autism spectrum and without mental disorders)
    able-bodied people (people without disabilities)
    sexual people (people who experience sexual attraction)
    religious majorities (if applicable)
    the rich
    the well-educated
    middle-upper class
    I'm sure there are more that I've not thought of.
    Lots of people are privileged in some way. In fact, I'd wager that most of us are. Remember, though, you can't 'cancel out' privilege. Being privileged in one area and not another doesn't balance out and magically get rid of someone's privilege.

Being privileged is not an insult. Being privileged doesn't mean that you cannot be discriminated against, or picked on, or insulted...
    ...but being privileged does mean that you have put up with a lot less crap than people who aren't privileged in the same way. And this is a very important thing to keep in mind. This goes double for those of us who are not privileged in one way, but privileged in another. Always, always, always remember to check your privilege.
    When people start denying their privilege, that's when things get ugly. When people ask you to check your privilege they're not being insulting, it's generally just an attempt to ask you to recognize that you might not be as qualified to speak on some topics.
    Another effect that privilege has is its normalizing effect on the experiences of the privileged, and its othering effect on the experiences of the marginalized. Things that the privileged group experience are the "template" for what society sees as normal: for example, the "normal" or "standard" human being in America could arguably be a white, middle-class, educated straight cis man. Those are all traits of privileged groups. Minorities or other people who don't have those same privileges are seen as the "other", forming a barrier between the privileged and the non-privileged. This has massive consequences; off the top of my head, one of them is the use of this non-privileged identity as the sole defining characteristic of a character in media (if you know TVTropes, think of tropes like The Chick or the Magical Native American). This is like putting a minority character in the spotlight and going "hey, look! Isn't this person strange?" Needless to say, this is very offensive.

Intersectionality and Passing Privilege
    What do I mean by "intersecting privilege"? Well, as I've said above, privilege comes in many forms and in many different areas. Sometimes, these areas overlap. A rich man, belonging to a racial majority, benefits from many more privileges than a poor woman belonging to a racial minority. But when you start having different combinations of privilege, this starts to get a little tricky.
    Essentially, you can be non-privileged in one way, but privileged in many others. The net effect is, therefore, positive: you are disadvantaged in some aspects but have an advantage in many more. This is why, for example, men can say that some women do better than them. This is true, but completely misses the point: that the majority of women are not, and - because of privilege - don't have access to the same kinds of resources or opportunities.
    For example, an upper-middle class person benefits from the intersection of privileges from being financially secure, being part of the middle class and presumably being well-educated. If the person is also part of a racial majority, that person benefits from another form of privilege. In short, this person enjoys many different intersecting privileges (class, financial, education and ethnic majority privileges).

Passing Privilege (Thanks to throwingExceptions for help on this bit.)
    Quite a lot of how people interact with other people is dependent on perception. In fact, sometimes what people think you are is more important than what you actually are. Passing privilege stems from that. If people think that you are a member of a privileged group, they will treat you the same way, and so you have access to the same advantages.
    For example, a closeted gay man might be able to pass very easily for a straight man. Therefore, he'd have passing straight privilege so long as he does not come out. Of course, the major problem with passing privilege is that it's all based on keeping the assumption intact. (For example, the gay man's "straight assumption" - he is assumed to be heterosexual.) Passing privilege can happen without any move towards acquiring it specifically, or by intentionally hiding or obfuscating the truth, or by outright lying about it. Possessing passing privilege is sometimes a major barrier, as fear of losing this privilege can sometimes form an obstacle to confronting the truth about yourself.
    Passing privilege can also be described as "conditional privilege". Conditional privilege makes it somewhat clearer that this type of privilege depends on a certain condition being maintained; this conditional privilege is gone once people no longer perceive you as part of the majority group.
    As far as I'm aware, term itself comes from mixed race people who could "pass" for white, and so could enjoy white privilege - provided that assumption was never lost.

SUMMARY:
    Privilege is a social phenomenon, where members of a favoured group get advantages that other groups don't get. Privilege comes in many forms and in many different areas. Privilege does not cancel out; being privileged in one area does not remove privilege in another. It is possible to benefit from more than one form of privilege at the same time. If people think that you are a member of a privileged group, even if you aren't, you have "passing privilege".
    Last but not least: one thing that is universal to ALL privilege lists is that the privileged group never has to be aware that they are privileged. Knowing is the first step to dismantling this whole unfair system.

Links:
    What is male privilege?
    Male Privilege checklist
    A very, very good collection of info on privilege
    Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack (White Privilege)
    Cis Privilege Checklist
    Straight Privilege

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote:
    wandering wrote:
    Buttlord wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:

I wish I was rich
    this will make you feel richer:

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    hey rich people

gimme money

no

without it, the first would get lonely when I took the third out

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    hey rich people

gimme money

no

THe first one doesn't have a helicopter pad or a missile launcher

The first one is a transformer though

• Options
    i hate that these don't even work over a distance of less than 60'

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Melding wrote:
    hey rich people

gimme money

no

without it, the first would get lonely when I took the third out

Hm, that's a solid point.

• Options
    I am bookmarking that post to read when I can see better Pharezon.

• Options
    wandering wrote:
    Buttlord wrote:
    wandering wrote:
    Buttlord wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:

I wish I was rich
    this will make you feel richer:

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

I don't like this site

LOOK HOW RICH YOU ARE COMPARED TO SWEATSHOP WORKERS YOU SHOULD GIVE MONEY

Like yes I am way better off than them

This does not make me rich

This discussion has been closed.