As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resident Evil 6 Out Oct 2nd.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It still needs a shotgun though. I would not want to play a resident evil game that does not have a shotgun.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    While this is normally not how I feel about third-person shooters (assuming RE were to remain as such), I wouldn't them "keeping it small" armory wise.

I would absolutely play a third-person shooter where I grapple onto the barrel of a M1 tank, force the commander's hatch open and empty an AK-74 into it. But it's not what I'd want in my RE. Keep it small: handguns, revolvers too, bolt-action rifles, the occasional hand grenade and maybe, at the top end, a MP5 or an Uzi. But when you get into the area of grenade launchers and assault rifles, we go from "Shit, I have ten bullets left and eight zombies, better make this count" to "Well, I'll just barricade myself here with enough firepower to kill the cast of the film Platoon."

Things like RPG-7s and whatever should be used very sparingly, and to do something meaningful--like blow open a bulkhead that I couldn't just shoot through. Conversely, I want zombies to be as poorly armed as me, or worse off, 99% of the time. They can already do things like climb through vents and extend giant, poison-tipped claws. They don't need machineguns. If you're doing that, just have me fight genuine, non-infected humans who don't want me to succeed for whatever reason.

A thousand times this. I also didn't care for the machine-gun toting "zombies" in RE5. When you get to that chapter, Resident Evil suddenly becomes every other 3rd person shooter on the market. Not what I paid for.

With poorer controls and lots of QTE (some of which are fun). In other words, it can't compete with the better third-person shooters. But there's a reason for those particular mechanical choices: urgency and lending to the survival horror genre. Capcom needs to commit to that if they're going to make us pay the penalty in advance, instead of pretending they can do the same things as a Tom Clancy or Epic game.

Shotguns, yes. Fully automatic shotguns? No.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    The next Resident Evil game should take place in the Civil War era. Experience the thrill of reloading your flintlock while a horde of zombies encroach upon your fundamental rights as an American and also your right to live.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Fuck that reloading. I've got a bayonet.

Give'em the straight silver!

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You could do worse. I mean, it's 2012. Why the fuck am I even on the ground? Call the A-10s or Mi-24 and just blow up the city block, no muss, no fuss.

Goodness knows, in this day and age, the United States orders drone strikes for way less alarming targets than a zombie epidemic.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You could do worse. I mean, it's 2012. Why the fuck am I even on the ground? Call the A-10s or Mi-24 and just blow up the city block, no muss, no fuss.

Goodness knows, in this day and age, the United States orders drone strikes for way less alarming targets than a zombie epidemic.

bbb-but my realiszim boner :cry:

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

I seem to remember RE5 having a giant space laser, also. Don't gotta fly nothin nowhere.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    It's not the only one either. I think Dead Aim had one as well.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    "For whatever reason"? They were being controlled. That was their motivation. I didn't like them, but that would explain why they are trying to stop you.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    pretty excited for ORC because not only is it two days away, i found out the version i'm getting from the capcom store comes with the welcome sign AND all the DLC (and cool steel case)
    orc5.jpg

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Niiiiiice.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Are there any reviews out for ORC?

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    ORC is out today over in the States, right?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    I'll be picking it today, but this is probably the WORST week possible for this game to come out. I'm studying for a certification exam this Saturday. So now it's going to sit there. Mocking me.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Out Friday in the UK so I would imagine today in US.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I should be getting this delivered sometime today. If it comes in before work, I'll relay some first impressions.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I trust Joystiq as much as I trust user reviews.

And it's blocked anyway. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Hmm...

Still interested in ORC, but now I'm only $20 interested.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I trust Joystiq as much as I trust user reviews.

And it's blocked anyway. :P

Since I'm at work I could only get to it from my phone. Just thought I'd share.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Goddamn it. IGN gave it a 4.0. Normally if it was about 6 I'd give it a shot, but 4 is really low. I may just hold onto my $5 preorder.

• Options
    Then I read this: http://www.destructoid.com/review-resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-224121.phtml

That gives it a 7.5.... Difficult decision is difficult.

• Options
    I get this strange feeling that it's Alone in the Dark all over again. I was hyped for the game. It got released with poor reviews. I said "fuck it... it can't be that bad!" and it turned out they were right. I swore I wouldn't do that again... But this is Resident Evil...

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I snagged it at the midnight release last night and popped it in for about 20 minutes. I find it hard to break away from ME3, so I didn't play for very long.

My initial impression of level 1 is that they took the idea of a rail shooter and gave you the ability to move around. I don't know if the whole game is like this since I didn't get very far. But basically, what they had me doing was that I'd move into a sectioned off part of a room, kill a few dudes, a gate would open and I would proceed to another section, kill a few more dudes, and another gate would open and so on and so forth.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I snagged it at the midnight release last night and popped it in for about 20 minutes. I find it hard to break away from ME3, so I didn't play for very long.

My initial impression of level 1 is that they took the idea of a rail shooter and gave you the ability to move around. I don't know if the whole game is like this since I didn't get very far. But basically, what they had me doing was that I'd move into a sectioned off part of a room, kill a few dudes, a gate would open and I would proceed to another section, kill a few more dudes, and another gate would open and so on and so forth.

Cool. I'm alright with that. How is the AI? Am I going to have to find PAers to play this with?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Cool. I'm alright with that. How is the AI? Am I going to have to find PAers to play this with?

Joystiq dude didn't have nice things to say about the AI. I think I'm still going to buy this, but not until a significant price drop.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'll play more ORC tonight after I finish ME3. I'm like 2 missions from the end I think. Then I'll be free to devote my full attention to it.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Eurogamer's review is equally scathing. Just doesn't sound like a good game.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Damn it. I am probably going to hold off on this then. I'm already going to sleep on the couch if I buy this game (we just got a HUGE hospital bill for my surgery) and if it's not worth it then I won't even bother just yet.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Just buy it. If you really wanted the game, who cares about reviews? It is Resident Evil. I am buying it.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Just buy it. If you really wanted the game, who cares about reviews? It is Resident Evil. I am buying it.

Is there a demo? That might be a good way to find out how you would like it. Just because it's Resident Evil doesn't automatically make it a good game.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    Ign's video review (the new ign video player sucks btw). gave it a 4.0 for having appalling AI and a bunch of throw away nobodies in the story mode.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    Rubycat wrote: »
    Ign's video review (the new ign video player sucks btw). gave it a 4.0 for having appalling AI and a bunch of throw away nobodies in the story mode.

That's why I wait for them to upload to Youtube before watching any of their reviews.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

When money's tight you need to be picky. I'm a HUGE RE fan (even loved the movies) so chances are I'll enjoy it. But the low review scores is disheartening.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I'm waiting for some impressions from people, I do manage to wring some fun out of mediocre games so might still grab it.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    The game doesn't release here until tomorrow. Hopefully at least one of my friends buys it so I have someone to coop with.
    Not sure if I want to take a chance on it for $90 though.

• Options
    I'm waiting for some impressions from people, I do manage to wring some fun out of mediocre games so might still grab it.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Man, Resident Evil: Revelations Raid Mode Tarragria2 on Abyss is HARD! I've beaten it, but yet to get an S rank. Came real close until the final mass Hunter brigade knocked me around. Once I do, I'll only have the Ghost Ship left to finish. Anyone want to run with me?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I bought that game on release day and have yet to open the package. :( Is the multiplayer really fun?

I got ORC. Gonna be playing with Local H Jay at 11 with his peeps.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I bought that game on release day and have yet to open the package. :( Is the multiplayer really fun?

I got ORC. Gonna be playing with Local H Jay at 11 with his peeps.

Raid Mode is great. You can play it solo, local, or online. Definitely easier with a partner. 20 stages, 3 difficulty levels (with changes in enemy types), upgradable weapons and equipment, leveling up, missions for extra rewards, and unlockable characters and costumes. Yeah, Raid Mode is a blast and a great add-on to the fun campaign mode.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page