Options

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Urgh. So I don't know what Canonical is thinking but they've announced they're going to make their own display server called "Mir".

It's like...if Wayland isn't ready, why would the same project from scratch be ready even sooner?

• Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    Canonical might be able to throw money at it until it works, but something tells me they don't have enough.

So yeah, I also think it's pretty fucking stupid. Just another reason to keep reminding people (cough Valve) that linux consists of more than just Ubuntu.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Things that get frustrating about Arch Linux:
    I've used the basic setup-guide (Beginners' Guide) for quite a while now. I've set up quite a few Arch boxen.

Normally setting up a DHCP wired-connection to happen at boot is as easy as
    # systemctl enable dhcpcd@eth0.service

Where "eth0" is your your interface. Seems simple enough!

Unfortunately, in this awesome switch to systemd, you won't see this lovely tid-bit on the "Beginners' Guide" page:
    Systemd v197 introduced Predictable Network Interface Names, which automatically assigns static names to network devices. Interfaces are now prefixed with en (ethernet), wl (WLAN), or ww (WWAN) followed by an automatically generated identifier, creating an entry such as "enp0s25".

That's from the "Network Configuration" page (which is the bible for network-setup). They might wanna make that information stick out a bit more. Seems kind of like a big change, that no one's default, wired Ethernet device will be eth0 any longer on a new system...

[ed] Yay, they've updated the guide.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    ...but enp0s25 is so much easier to remember!

(Remind me not to update my Arch server at home, it's going to sit right where it is until I decommission it.)

• Options
    Yeah, I switched to Slackware a bit over a month ago. Haven't regretted it other than when I'm compiling something big.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    A new stable Crunchbang Waldorf image is now available.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    So I just tried to install Linux Mint onto a part 3GB drive but GRUB complained about there being no such disk or something similar. Eventually I managed to use the Live CD to reinstall the Windows boot manager.

What are the chances that the problem involves the size of the hard drive vs the chance that I told it to do something dumb as far as laying out partitions?

It's been long enough since I've messed with linux that the fact that the Live CD detected my wireless internet card pretty much astounded me so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I was thinking about installing ubuntu on a PC I frequently have to fix, because the people that currently use that computer are famous for giving it aids at every turn no matter how restricted I make it, and they dont want to pay to upgrade from XP.

I've done some research on it to know that pretty much all their extra things like printers and such have linux drivers, and the only thing thats stopped me from doing it at this point is why I am here now.

How easy is it to secure non-root account from malware infection, and is there any good free Linux antivirus/anti-malware software suites that I should look for to install if I do go this route?

Everything that they use that computer for is web centered (browsing and email mostly), so dont have to worry about getting them used to it outside of clicking a different icon to launch the browser.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    - All user accounts in ubuntu lack native root access; passwords are required for anything attempting to install that needs root permissions.
    - There isn't really much Linux malware anyway...
    - I've always used clamAV, but that's just to scrub file stores that are samba shared with windows boxes.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Isnt there platform independant malware that can mess with browsers?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    So, I rescued a tiny (like 4"x4"x1") thinclient from the trash at work and have concieved of a project, but I'm not really sure where to start.

The PC is x86, 1.5ghz single core, 1 gig ram, 2 gig HDD.

I'd like to set up something like a display board, ideally with a web interface. So the thinclient automatically logs in and displays a screen of text. You can hit the webpage of the thinclient from a different PC and (ideally with a password) edit what text it's displaying.

I've got a basically familiarity with Linux, have installed it a few times, managed a minecraft server + mods. Basically I'm just trying to learn from this, so I'm looking for ideas of what kind of things I should be stacking up to make this happen.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    In other news, I'm officially on a Penguin.

I mean, I just installed Linux Mint 15 to a separate HDD and I'm dual booting it now.

I'm largely new to all this, so look forward to my asking many incredibly obvious and stupid questions when I get stuck. I'm currently browsing through the op posts, but in the meantime, if there's any obvious advice or starters guides, or even some stuff you think would be cool for me to know, feel free to post.

• Options
    I really need to repack my fork of the Mint-X theme as Mint-ELM so it can fairly fight it out with my opinions on the difficulty of making white on green work as a color scheme.

Though I am starting to think I should just try making somwthing completely nuts with all different colors.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    I'm so proud of myself. I've done two Arch installations from scratch, soon to be three. All on the same notebook, but that's what happens when you keep swapping storage drives.

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    A new stable Crunchbang Waldorf image is now available.

I know this post is almost a month old, but hey. I put Crunchbang on my Eeepc after being continually frustrated with Ubuntu. It was always much slower than I wanted and was getting to be almost unusable. With #!, it's running like I expect. Much snappier. Plus I really like the new desktop with dedicated shortcuts. I would say overall it's made the netbook significantly more usable.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I am a huge fan of Crunchbang. I run it on pretty much all of my lower tang equipment because it does the job well.

I might even run it on my next Linux desktop if I don't decide to dip a toe into the land of Arch.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I am having SO MUCH TROUBLE getting Ubuntu up and running on my desktop with an Acer UEFI BIOS. This is seriously ridiculous. I have upgraded my frustration status from "I haven't had this much trouble booting Linux in over a decade," earlier today to "I have never had so much trouble booting Linux."

Not helping matters is how this version of Ubuntu doesn't want to connect to my home wifi network, but is totally cool with connecting to the personal hotspot from my phone. With two different USB adapters! The Wubi of the version before this worked fine... >_<

Frem on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I will be getting a new desktop shortly. It'll be a Windows 8/Linux Mint machine. I'm a bit nervous, though, as I've never had a computer with a SSD/HDD split, and I'm not sure how to partition something like that.

It'll be a 256GB SSD for the OS and 3TB HDD for storage. How should I go about splitting shit up with a Mint install?

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    On my machine I have the ssd split between windows and Linux, and the other one holds my games and media so both OS can read it.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    On my machine I have the ssd split between windows and Linux, and the other one holds my games and media so both OS can read it.

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this kind of thing. Would it be possible to split it like:

SSD - Windows 8 OS/Linux Mint OS
    HDD - Windows 8 program files+/Mint program files+

?

With maybe some shared directories on the HDD (documents, certain media (it'd be nice to see my Photoshop work in Mint))? I'm a bit concerned with reading/writing to the SSD, and running out of space as I work on multiple projects.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    wondering if someone here may guide to me to light...

i'm attempting to share a usb external hard drive from my linux machine (Mint 15 MATE). i want to share the drive out (security be damned) to anyone on the network with full read/write access.
    i can get 'normal' directories to share just fine through samba. my research has lead me to believe that my inability to do this has to do with how the share directory is mounted.

i'm looking at: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=137500. but, i'm having trouble making the jump from local users (as the post describes) to network access.
    particularly, breaking down the flags from
    UUID=DA9056C19056A3B3 /media/ExtNTFS ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=022,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0

to apply to a directory that i could then go in and allow unfettered network access.

any help would be gratuitously awarded with my appreciation.

- perhaps i should have specified, i'm attempting to share this out to Windows firstly, then iOS (my iPad through the VLC app, ideally - for which read only would suffice).

- edit2: the USB hard drive is currently NTFS; but, i theoretically could re-format it.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Proud dual booter of Win7 and Kubuntu.

• Options
    Urgh. Resilvering a hard disk on a ZFS array with a lot of drives and a lot of snapshots currently seems to be a recipe for pain.

Either that or the big boost in performance with kernel 3.8 that I noticed is not coincidental on my desktop and I should upgrade this server ASAP.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Has anyone else had this issue where native Steam just stops responding? Like, clicking on things in the UI doesn't change the displayed page, but I can click things on the page. Or, I'll be on a different Gnome desktop, or have a window on top of the steam window, and mouse clicks and drags will pass through the window and get registered on the Steam window.

I'm using 64bit Fedora 19 with the official Nvidia drivers. Steam pops up this warning when it launches, but I haven't found a way to resolve it.
    OpenGL GLX context is not using direct rendering, which may cause performance problems.

For more information visit https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9938-EYZB-7457.

Edit: Resolved the direct rendering issue. http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/828937546084054258/

Frem on
  • Options
    How come every Qt-based GUI for Qemu is broken on my system? aQemu and QtEmu both segfault on me.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    So I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a laptop generously donated to me by my grandparents since my last laptop's screen died. I am enjoying it quite a lot so far, but I am curious if there are guides out there I should be reading or watching to get a better handle on linux beyond the bare essentials.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this kind of thing. Would it be possible to split it like:

SSD - Windows 8 OS/Linux Mint OS
    HDD - Windows 8 program files+/Mint program files+

?

With maybe some shared directories on the HDD (documents, certain media (it'd be nice to see my Photoshop work in Mint))? I'm a bit concerned with reading/writing to the SSD, and running out of space as I work on multiple projects.

Yes, I choose to install everything in program files on my D drive rather than C. That being said, Windows is pretty 'tarded about where it puts some things, so you are not going to like where everything is stored. Like, why do I have a My Games folder in the My Documents folder on C drive? I don't want that crap there. But all my Windows programs are installed on D, and all my games are installed on E.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    So I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a laptop generously donated to me by my grandparents since my last laptop's screen died. I am enjoying it quite a lot so far, but I am curious if there are guides out there I should be reading or watching to get a better handle on linux beyond the bare essentials.

The OP of this thread has a few things in it. Go to the first post, scroll down to 'Reference Material' and skim to your heart's content.

A lot of the 'power' of desktop Linux comes from using the command line; as such, scouring the web for Linux command-line tutorials (or UNIX tutorials, since it's basically a UNIX derivative) is a decent way to go. Referring back to the first post of this thread, below the 'Reference Material' section is a collection of links. As for video series, I'd recommend checking out metalx1000 if you're interested in Bash scripting (a great way to learn your way around the UNIX command line), as well as CLIMagic for a few, non-specific command-line things.

If you're just starting out with the command line, I'd also recommend the UNIX for Beginning Mages pdf. It's corny, but kind of funny and actually useful if you need to learn this stuff.

Finally, for an Ubuntu-specific tip (even more specifically, Ubuntu's Unity), check the image on this page:

Unity keyboard shortcuts.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    @Seeks thanks for the advice. I read through or at least browsed many of the pages linked in the OP, and I feel like I have a better grasp on Linux already!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Desktop Linux needs something like Android intents. I love them to death - though ideally nothing too obtuse or incompatible.

I wonder if you could so something like GVFS - have a custom VFS path where you can chain intents to receivers. So you'd write a path in the receiving application like:

/intent/reduce-image-size/strip-exif/@start-path/home/elm/Pictures/lolcats.jpg

And it would load the file then send it through the first two handlers before passing the actual data onto the output application.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Desktop Linux needs something like Android intents. I love them to death - though ideally nothing too obtuse or incompatible.

I wonder if you could so something like GVFS - have a custom VFS path where you can chain intents to receivers. So you'd write a path in the receiving application like:

And it would load the file then send it through the first two handlers before passing the actual data onto the output application.

Android's intents are just a way to get around
    - finicky, hugely limited copy and paste
    - highly discouraged filesystem access

I don't really understand why you want to use GVFS for it; we can already pass modified images to applications using pipes and image magick. Am I misunderstanding the idea?

• Options
    Frem wrote: »

Android's intents are just a way to get around
    - finicky, hugely limited copy and paste
    - highly discouraged filesystem access

I don't really understand why you want to use GVFS for it; we can already pass modified images to applications using pipes and image magick. Am I misunderstanding the idea?

I think what I want is some type of graphical way of pipelining stuff through programs. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

• Options
    All right I have learned all I can from the "Unix mages" tutorial and now I am checking out the tutorial for vim. I think I'm down the rabbit hole, people...

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Learning vim is a great move, it's a really really good text editor.

Once you get behind the basics I really recommend Vundle for installing and maintaining plugins. Plugins take vim from being good to being some great.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Not necessarily Linux related, but I've been thinking about doing a full reformat of my laptop's hd and starting over with clean Win/Linux instals, plus I'm going on a trip and want to render the data unrecoverable if I lose it somewhere. What tool should I use to format?

EDIT: what I'm thinking of is a tool I could boot into from cd or usb, then point it at my hd and nuke it.

august on
  • Options
    Learning vim is a great move, it's a really really good text editor.

Once you get behind the basics I really recommend Vundle for installing and maintaining plugins. Plugins take vim from being good to being some great.

Hmm once I get the basics down well I will look into these plugins. Thanks for the tip!

• Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Not necessarily Linux related, but I've been thinking about doing a full reformat of my laptop's hd and starting over with clean Win/Linux instals, plus I'm going on a trip and want to render the data unrecoverable if I lose it somewhere. What tool should I use to format?

EDIT: what I'm thinking of is a tool I could boot into from cd or usb, then point it at my hd and nuke it.

Fitting choice of words, Darik's Boot and Nuke is what you're looking for.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Yup, DBAN is pretty standard for that sort of thing. Burn it to a CD, boot it, let it wipe your hard drive for a couple of days.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    Days? Is days more on the extreme end, or should I expect to put that amount of time in for a good wipe? I guess I'll need to set it up well before I leave. It's a 450 gig hd by the way.

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    Days would be way overkill. I'd say maybe a day at that size a drive. Depends on the speed of the drive and how many passes you're doing (one pass is probably fine, 3 is definitely good enough).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]