As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] No one is as good as they think they are (except me)

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote:
    Jars you are the best at this video game.

I'm not

which reinforces my point. if my crappy self with absolutely no map awareness can stomp 1200 elo like it's nothing then maybe the problem isn't your teammates

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    That guide was pre-mastery and jungle rework so the info on it is outdated.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Riven is super easy to play gosh you guys ask this like every month we should just put it in the OP or something.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I love playing Lux mid. I never feel safer in mid than I do with her.

LuxRox.png

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Would it be like. possible to make a compilation of PA guides? Would be handy.

Also, even when so shitfaced I see two screens, I hit 80% of my Ashe arrows, after hard randoming her in blind pick.

• Options
    A PA wiki would be neat but I have a feeling that it would never actually get filled out. Maybe I'm wrong.

@Daris You should play SC2. You never have to worry about shitty teammates. Whenever you lose you get to take all of the blame since the only excuse for losing is that you suck. On the plus side, when you win, it's because you're a brilliant and sexy genius. It's ultimately these highs and lows that caused me to stop playing though! It's always on my to do list.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    if you had to make a list of the main parts of the game to do a self evaluation on where I need to improve more what would make that list?

Off hand I know I need to work on last hitting, knowing when to gank/counterjungle as a jungler, when as mid I should help side lanes.

I'm sure there's more though.

• Options
    That list?

Last hitting.
    AD positioning.
    When to farm/when to fight.
    Top matchups.
    Mid matchups.
    Sobriety.
    Getting angry at retards.
    Who to kill in teamfights.

Pretty much everything.
    Oh look, I'm at 900 ELO. I wonder why. I bet it's purely 6.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I thought there was a PA wiki and it had some rudimentry guides.

• Options
    WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote:
    That list?

Last hitting.
    AD positioning.
    Top matchups.
    Mid matchups.
    Sobriety.

Pretty much everything.

Do-- do you actually play ranked while drunk?

• Options
    TheBenjomonsterTheBenjomonster Registered User regular
    What kind of runes are people using when they roll jungle Nautilus? After yellow armors and maybe AS blues I'm clueless. Been using health quints and a mashup of reds. Enlighten me.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Whyther wrote:
    MrGrimoire wrote:
    That list?

Last hitting.
    AD positioning.
    Top matchups.
    Mid matchups.
    Sobriety.

Pretty much everything.

what, you don't?

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    For Nautilus, I go attack speed/armor/attack speed/attack damage because it means I can take W first and clear camps super fast after I get blue.

However, ArmPen/Armor/whatever/AD also works.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote:
    @Daris You should play SC2. You never have to worry about shitty teammates. Whenever you lose you get to take all of the blame since the only excuse for losing is that you suck. On the plus side, when you win, it's because you're a brilliant and sexy genius. It's ultimately these highs and lows that caused me to stop playing though! It's always on my to do list.

I actually own SC2 and never played the multiplayer. I figured I would drive myself mad if I took it even remotely seriously. Just far too much multitasking for me to feel I could ever play it without being entirely focused. Played the hell out of the campaigns, and loved getting a good deal of the hard challenges and such. Also worked on the challenges that get you ready for multiplayer and watched some of Day9's helpful stuff. Guy is great. I just never really wanted to invest in the multiplayer.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular

Talith is going to be playing soon on stream for ESL

• Options
    WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    Whyther wrote:

what, you don't?

I don't play ranked at all because I don't care about e-peen or stress or improving myself.

But if I'm playing anything but a bot game/in-house with people that I know are drunk beforehand, I would really prefer that my teammates were sober.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Whyther wrote:
    Whyther wrote:

what, you don't?

I don't play ranked at all because I don't care about e-peen or stress or improving myself.

But if I'm playing anything but a bot game/in-house with people that I know are drunk beforehand, I would really prefer that my teammates were sober.

Whaaaat? Laning with a drunk Sona is just proof that you're the best LoL player. I grant this honor to my friends all the time.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I love playing Lux mid. I never feel safer in mid than I do with her.

She really is. I think she teaches me bad habits though. I get into a lot of trouble as Ziggs simply because he isn't as good as escaping ganks. Actually, I'm just flat out of practice as AP lately. AP middle is a pretty popular spot, and I'm not filling it very often.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    if you had to make a list of the main parts of the game to do a self evaluation on where I need to improve more what would make that list?

1) How to farm and when to farm:

This includes the technical skills

a) Learning how to last hit so as to not push the lane.
    b) Learning how to take jungle enemies efficiently(less important since you can't do double golems as easily anymore)

which is the prerequisite for the mental skills

a) Learning when to harass so as to prevent the enemy from last hitting
    b) Learning how to not be harassed so as to not be prevented from last hitting
    c) Learning when to team fight and when to farm. I.E. Learning how to farm without impacting your teammates farm and impacting your ability to get to fights.

2) Location Location Location(I.E. fighting)

This includes the technical skills

a) Learning how to get to the place you need to be fastest, and clicking on the right thing once you're there.
    b) Using your abilities without slowing you down

Which are requisite upon the mental skills

a) Who to attack
    b) when to attack
    c) from where to attack

3) Where the fuck are people?

This is the single technical skill

a) looking at the minimap

which allows you to develop the mental skills

a) Good evaluations as to where people are/are going
    b) Good evaluations as to how long its going to take them to get there
    c) Be where it is advantageous to be when it is advantageous to be there

As far as i can tell, these are the things that the Pro's do really well, regardless of who or what they're playing. All the rest is knowing specific matchups. I don't put matchups as a central thing because matchups are really easy to learn. Simply put, when you make mistakes from the above list, its hard to see them and correct. When you make a matchup mistake it tends to be really easy to see it because you're going to get punished for it in obvious ways. This basically means that you're going to get better at matchups whether or not you make a hard attempt at doing so.

Re: Daris and play
    The last time we played together, you were Shyvanna jungling. We had a great start but some hard luck/bad engages in the middle game and were starting to lose, but not so much that we could not turn it around.

The enemy was coming in our middle lane after (iirc baroning) and the 5 of us were retreating so that we could fight under a turret because they had strong engage and good peal. As 4 of us retreated to ours base being chased by the enemy, you went and cleared wolves. They picked you off alone then 5v4'd our team.

I don't want to say that we would have won that game had that not happened, their jungle yi was straight up ridiculous* and we had very little hard CC, but we could have. A single turn around in a game at that point meant that we would have gone straight into their nexus before they respawned. Your mistake explicitly cost the game for us

*whether or not him getting there was your fault i will leave for speculation as i did not pay attention to that

edit: I am going to upload that replay because holy god there is some stuff to talk about.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I hope no one witnessed my shame

I cannot play ryze AT ALL
    don't ban wukong we have first pick and he's my best champ
    *bans wukong*

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I don't really understand why anyone would play a competitive game drunk/high. I'm not much of a drinker myself, but when I do it's socially. Could you folks explain to me why you do? I promise not to condescend or even comment on it. I'm just curious as to the motivation you have.

Daris on
  • Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Daris wrote:
    Zyrxil, I'm really not sure where you're even coming from with a lot of what you're saying.
    I'm telling you what I observed. You can either keep protesting, or realize that just as you can find faults in your teammates very easily, it's 10x easier for someone else to see your mistakes than it is for you yourself. You do not do basic things like being present at either one of the blue camps at 7:00 to counterjungle or anticipate being counterjungled. Whether you accept critiques or not is no skin off anyone's backs.

• Options
    Daris wrote:
    ChaosHat wrote:

I actually own SC2 and never played the multiplayer. I figured I would drive myself mad if I took it even remotely seriously. Just far too much multitasking for me to feel I could ever play it without being entirely focused. Played the hell out of the campaigns, and loved getting a good deal of the hard challenges and such. Also worked on the challenges that get you ready for multiplayer and watched some of Day9's helpful stuff. Guy is great. I just never really wanted to invest in the multiplayer.

If you play it I guarantee you'll get better at LoL. Mechanically LoL is suuuuuper easy compared to SC2. SC2 will teach you epic level map awareness and control, and you'll learn timing.

• Options
    Whyther wrote:
    MrGrimoire wrote:
    That list?

Last hitting.
    AD positioning.
    Top matchups.
    Mid matchups.
    Sobriety.

Pretty much everything.

Not very often. But hey, I'm 900 ELO, what do I care? Even drunk I'm way better than these other baddies! =p (lol, not)

I play Blind pick, hard random, a lot when drunk. It never works out.

• Options
    SC2 is too hard. I am not worthy even if I was pretty 'good' at it. and really no one is good at sc2, they are just less bad since you can get into at least diamond with average fundamentals.

• Options
    I love blind pick. No ad carries on either team, and I hard randomed Yi when we had jungle trynd and shen top.

• Options
    Jars wrote:
    SC2 is too hard. I am not worthy even if I was pretty 'good' at it. and really no one is good at sc2, they are just less bad since you can get into at least diamond with average fundamentals.

I got to mid diamond. Diamond is about the point where your tactics and strategy actually start to matter and the answer to all your problems isn't simply "macro harder."

• Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    JungleMF.png

Miss Fortune is one of the most fun oddball junglers I've tried. (And I've tried out several weird junglers.) Boots of Mobility + 2 PDs + her passive = insane roaming. She also clears her jungle absurdly fast after you get 3 ranks in E or so. The ganks would be pretty bad, but with her crazy speed you can actually get in position to land your slow pretty reliably.

Score probably would've been better if Jarvan wasn't so eager to ult people focusing me down... making sure I was trapped inside Cataclysm every single time. 8->

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Goumindong wrote:

Re: Daris and play
    The last time we played together, you were Shyvanna jungling. We had a great start but some hard luck/bad engages in the middle game and were starting to lose, but not so much that we could not turn it around.

The enemy was coming in our middle lane after (iirc baroning) and the 5 of us were retreating so that we could fight under a turret because they had strong engage and good peal. As 4 of us retreated to ours base being chased by the enemy, you went and cleared wolves. They picked you off alone then 5v4'd our team.

I don't want to say that we would have won that game had that not happened, their jungle yi was straight up ridiculous* and we had very little hard CC, but we could have. A single turn around in a game at that point meant that we would have gone straight into their nexus before they respawned. Your mistake explicitly cost the game for us

*whether or not him getting there was your fault i will leave for speculation as i did not pay attention to that
    I honestly couldn't tell you which of two games this was. There were two games I was on a PA team lately that lost to a Yi team that went down to the last fight with inhibitors down. I am not sure which game I got caught by wolves, but I do remember it. I apologized in chat because I hadn't expected to get caught and I admitted that cost us the game. As to Yi getting fed, I couldn't comment. How much of his getting fed was flying into skirmishes and how much was actual ganking I can't say. Yi is a bit of a specter of a jungler IMHO. I can never catch him as Shyvana, and normally he just appears in a skirmish somewhere and then vanishes again. I always get wriggles for ward, and I buy a spare ward before wriggles and even after if I have the space in my inventory.

What I took away from those games, is that I need to ward the enemy jungle paths more. I have been helping ward lanes mostly, and lately have been warding around wraiths, tri-bush, and around the golem/wolf nooks as a result of those game.

Daris on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    man im really lovin ziggs, but whys he so expensive. about halfway there.

1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    Zyrxil wrote:
    Daris wrote:
    Zyrxil, I'm really not sure where you're even coming from with a lot of what you're saying.
    I'm telling you what I observed. You can either keep protesting, or realize that just as you can find faults in your teammates very easily, it's 10x easier for someone else to see your mistakes than it is for you yourself. You do not do basic things like being present at either one of the blue camps at 7:00 to counterjungle or anticipate being counterjungled. Whether you accept critiques or not is no skin off anyone's backs.

Except anyone who plays with me regularly will profess my habit of stealing the enemy blue right around seven minutes in. By habit, I mean I try and do it every single game. If I'm not, it normally has something to do with a lane gank or covering for someone. It's something I love doing. I did it even back when I had less than ten games jungling as Shyvana. My first major worry on her was if I was counter jungling too much and ganking too little.

I steal it, I steal it and kill their jungler, and more. Hell, I stole an Ammumu's blue once, killed Ammumu, and then when Renketon came from top I kicked his ass back to turret and killed him under turret before escaping. Not sure which PA people I played with that game, but it was a PA game.

Of course I'm going to protest you saying I don't do something that I do constantly.

I'm honestly wondering where you even got the idea.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Is Nautilus inspired by Bioshock's Big Daddies? I haven't played against him in the wild yet.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote:
    If you play it I guarantee you'll get better at LoL. Mechanically LoL is suuuuuper easy compared to SC2. SC2 will teach you epic level map awareness and control, and you'll learn timing.

Playing LOL will get you better at LOL faster than SC2. You just need to focus on getting better, and work with other people who can help point out what you are doing wrong.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote:
    Daris wrote:
    ChaosHat wrote:

Well, heart of the Swarm is actually going to be released at some point. Right?

• Options
    The jungler's job is not to ward the lanes. That is the laner's job. Your job is to ward paths either into your own jungle, or common paths out of their jungle, and then targets of value as you see fit. Your goal is to know where the enemy jungler is so you can counterjungle, and to know if the enemy jungler is coming into your jungle. As Shyvana, you have three main priorities:

1) Farming your jungle or their jungle, based on information. If your opponent is ganking, take his jungle while you can, if you know where your opponent is, take the side of the jungle they aren't. If you don't know where your opponent is, farm your own jungle.

2) Finding the enemy jungler in their jungle and beating the shit out of them. Shyvana (especially early on) is very good at running over to the opponent's jungle, fighting them at their red, smite stealing the buff, and putting the hurt on the opponent. Even if you don't kill them, taking the buff denies money and experience, and forcing them to go home and heal does more of the same.

3) When you have thoroughly pissed off the enemy jungler and they go "Oh, steal my jungle will you? Well I'll come get you in your jungle and steal YOUR mobs" your job is to be so fucking on the ball that you see them coming from a mile away, you let them fight your buff mob down to low health, smite it, and then run out of the bush with you and some of the nearby laners, and make them rue the fucking day they came into your jungle.

Shyvana isn't a very good ganker. Your job is to gank their jungler and turn the game into a 4 on 5. Shyvana is also a very good counterpick, if not a good first pick. Shyvana can fuck up picks like Amumu very easily. Udyrs and Skarners can contend with Shyvana pretty well.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote:

Playing LOL will get you better at LOL faster than SC2. You just need to focus on getting better, and work with other people who can help point out what you are doing wrong.

This is true. The biggest thing is just map awareness. I always assume my teammates have seen things I see on the minimap so I don't always call it out, and then I get really frustrated when they get ganked or something by the jungler. Starcraft 2 makes map awareness super duper important. The mechanical stuff from Starcraft isn't as important, but it will throw you into the deep end of the pool multitasking wise.

• Options
    @ChaosHat

I agree completely.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Unfortunately i am getting an error when uploading it to league replays. So here is a mediafire link

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?pba8m3rpl82bchr

To start: You don't like level team fighting so you advise against invading vs YI. They were all at his blue we could have at least taken his red to start as they had no CV

Second you smited blue early way early

Third: 4:15 to four as Shyvanna. I am a bad jungler and i do sub 4 with unoptimized runes for Alistar. You had a great leash too. Wolves/Blue/wraiths/wolves/golems/wraiths/wolves is really inefficient. And then i stopped because my replay broke. Maybe someone else will have better luck repairing it.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote:
    I hope no one witnessed my shame

I cannot play ryze AT ALL
    don't ban wukong we have first pick and he's my best champ
    *bans wukong*

There is a reason I left that team. :3

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options