As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hero Academy] Tycho Brahe Memorial - Congrats Brew!

JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKECreature - SnakeRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
i-hjT8qXF-XL.jpg
The Tycho Brahe Memorial Hero Academy Tournament!
He should have sent his turns in more.

@Brew is Tournament Champion! Congratulations!
Second Place: @ani_game_bum
Third Place: ?
Honorable Mention: ?

Game reports from the Championship games start here, continue here, and finish up around here.

Tournament details spoilered below.
PAHeroAcademyFinals.png
Hero Academy is a multiplayer tactics game for iPhone/iPod Touch by Robot Entertainment. Players field a team of fantasy characters in a battle to destroy the other team's crystals or defeat all the other team's reinforcements. Unlike most tactics games, you only have 5 actions total on your turn, which you could spread out over all the units on the field, or focus on making the most of one powerful unit.

The game is free but ad-supported, and is available here. If you want to remove the ads, any in-app purchase will do. I'd recommend buying the Dark Elf team.

Tournament

How will the tournament work?

First round: Players are divided into 4 divisions of 6 players each. They'll play a double round robin tournament (but all games at the same time), and the top two from each division will move on to the next round.
Second round: The 8 players will be split into 2 divisions and do another double round robin tournament, and the top 4 will advance to the final round. To make the divisions, I'll seed everyone based on Round 1 results. Seeds 1, 3, 5 and 7 will make Group A, while the rest make Group B.
Final round: The final 4 will play in a single elimination tournament. They'll be seeded by their record in the last 2 rounds, and each match will be best of 3 (we can do the games at the same time). The lower seeded player has the option of starting 2 of the games (and going first) or letting their opponent go first.

Both Council and Dark Elf teams will be allowed. You don't have to get Dark Elves to play if you don't want to, but be aware that you might face them.
Edit: For Round 2, Dwarves will be banned. Whether they'll also be banned for the finals will be decided later.

Let's get this started!

Finals
PAHeroAcademyFinals.png

Round 2
Group A - Finished!
Winners: Standings
PAHeroAcademy2A.png

Group B - Finished!
Winners: Standings
PAHeroAcademy2B.png

Round 1
Group A - Finished!
Winners:
Players
  1. @Spruchy (Spruchy)
  2. @GR_Zombie (grzombie)
  3. @GeorgeF (gefv)
  4. @Sploozoo (grillaface)
  5. @TheOtherHorseman (theotherhorseman)
  6. @SkyTurnsRed (skyturnsred)
Standings
PAHeroAcademy1A.png

Group B - Finished!
Winners:
  1. @Dracil (Dracil)
  2. @Axen (AxenPA)
  3. @corin7 (corin7)
  4. @38thDoE (38thDoE)
  5. @wonderpug (wonderpug)
  6. @Mike Danger (MikeDanger)
Standings
PAHeroAcademy1B.png

Group C - Finished!
Winners:
Players
  1. @admanb (admanb)
  2. @Jam Warrior (JamWarrior)
  3. @rockmonkey (rockmonkey)
  4. @Jacoby (ROldford)
  5. @Imperfect (Imperfect)
  6. @Sharp10r (SharpTenor)
Standings
PAHeroAcademy1C.png

Group D - Finished!
Winners:
Players
  1. @SniperGuy (Dohaeris)
  2. @baddman (TheRyanBurke)
  3. @Brew (Noguru)
  4. @Beltaine (Haggis)
  5. @jdarksun (jdarksun)
  6. @ani_game_bum (ani_game_bum)
Standings
PAHeroAcademy1D.png

GameCenter: ROldford
Switch: nin.codes/roldford
Jacoby on

• Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    Joinin' dis

I am terrible but lucky sometimes.

Name: theotherhorseman

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    admanb

• Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    Any word on possible android support?

League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Haven't heard anything about it on Android, sorry.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I'm in! I'm wonderpug in the Academy as well.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I have yet to actually finish a game of this, but I am hungry for more.

I'm MikeDanger (no space!)

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Well, someone's gotta come in last.

Name: Imperfect

• Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote:
    Well, someone's gotta come in last.

I'll race you to the bottom

• Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    Sign me up! Noguru

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Oh I'm totally in. Dohaeris is my name.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Just got this thanks to this thread. I was actually unaware it was free, though I did splurge and get the Dark Elves. Speaking of,

AxenPA

I am literally one attack away from winning my first match and now my opponent decides he isn't going to be speedy with his turns. Been waiting 40 some mins. :(

Wish there was a speed game mode with 60 second turn limits or something.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    They're talking about implementing time limits for turns, but there's no details. I'd hate for it to be too short, since I'd hate for the game to punish me for having to work/living across the globe from most of the other players.

• Options
    Jacoby wrote:
    They're talking about implementing time limits for turns, but there's no details. I'd hate for it to be too short, since I'd hate for the game to punish me for having to work/living across the globe from most of the other players.

Well I'd prefer it to be a particular game mode that you willing select when looking for a game. When you are in the mood to just knock out a quick game or two. Like say you select find match and are then given the choice of looking for a normal match with no time limit or a speed match (with say 60second turns or whatever).

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I'm definitely in! skyturnsred

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    I want a poster of Tycho in that car.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Although I do admit, playing a match that lasts most of the day does kind of make things, I don't know, personal maybe. Like the guy I am up against becomes The Adversary. For the rest of the day I blame him for anything that might go wrong with my day. Stuck in traffic? Curse you BigBob81!

It is fairly enjoyable.

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    I'll be someone's punching bag! I'm new to the tactics genre. SharpTenor

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I was just wondering if this would get it's own thread, count me in for the tournament. grzombie
    Also sorry if my turns are running long lately, I've been busy as shit.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm in as long as you can accept that games (not turns) with me are likely to be measured in days rather than minutes.

JamWarrior in the game.

How many games can you have on the go simultaneously? Rather than dragging things out into multiple rounds wouldn't it be better to just have eveyone play everyone else at the same time and do league style scoring? Then maybe put the top 4 into a semis/final showdown?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Huh, I never thought of that. The game limit is 40, so if everyone makes sure to have room, we could do it that way. I like it! Any objections?

• Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    Sign me up! rockmonkey

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I think everyone that has signed up so far has already bested me numerous times, but what the hey, sign me up!

Haggis

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    So is this also a thread where we talk about our current games? I'm currently in some REALLY close endgames right now that could go either way with Niblecat and AdmanB!

• Options
    I'm not sure if I can handle matches that have a short turn timer. I tend to play in spurts in the morning and in the evening. Middle of the day I may take a turn or two during lunch but most of the time it's work time.

steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    I wish they'd do it the way Ascension does and let you specify a chess-like timer for each new match. I can choose a 10 minute timer if I want a live match, and can specify day-length timers if I'm ok with a longer-running match.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    How about dividing it into divisions based on random draw? The teams in each division will play each other at the same time, and the best two teams advance into either a playoff or a "winners division", based on size, and I guess we'd decide the rest based on size as well. Each round could be five days long. Plenty of time for everyone

Edit: okay how about this - lock it to 16 players. 4 divisions of 4. Top two players in each division advance. The 8 that advance are split into two divisions of four. Top two advance again. Now four remain. These four are placed in a playoff based on random draw. 2 out of 3 for the round. Winners advance to championship and they face off in a final 2 out of 3.

Yeah?

SkyTurnsRed on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I just lose everything. How the fuck do you stop the Dark Elves once they get the giant ghost monster thing on the board?

(yeah, it probably has a name, but I only just realized there was an in-game help button and I feel dirty using it)

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I just lose everything. How the fuck do you stop the Dark Elves once they get the giant ghost monster thing on the board?

(yeah, it probably has a name, but I only just realized there was an in-game help button and I feel dirty using it)

Generally speaking, you shouldn't let them get the ghost monster to be giant. It's pretty tough to build that thing up without getting it killed.

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Totally in. corin7

• Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular

Yeah, sorry about that Mike. I almost feel cheap for slaughtering your guys with that fully spec'd wraith.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    The full spec wraith can still be taken down by an archer or a javelin thrower. Of course you need to bait him out a bit, upgrade your weapon with a sword and use a scroll.
    So, yeah, you shouldn't let the Wraith get that big. It needs to eat 4 corpses to reach it's full potential.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Edit: okay how about this - lock it to 16 players. 4 divisions of 4. Top two players in each division advance. The 8 that advance are split into two divisions of four. Top two advance again. Now four remain. These four are placed in a playoff based on random draw. 2 out of 3 for the round. Winners advance to championship and they face off in a final 2 out of 3.

Yeah?

I don't want to lock it at 16, but we could lock it at 24, which would give 4 divisions of 6. I like the rest, though. Any objections?

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    38thDoE signing up.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Jacoby wrote:

Yeah?

I don't want to lock it at 16, but we could lock it at 24, which would give 4 divisions of 6. I like the rest, though. Any objections?

That works too. I just wasn't sure what people wanted. I'm for anything!

• Options
    edited February 2012

Have you been hitting the pulsing red circle by the chat icon in the upper right? I've been trying to give you tips as we play when you make beginner blunders.

At least in one of our matches, you've provided some easy early eats for my wraith. You've also spent turns doing unessential movement instead of stomping on troops of mine you've killed, giving me opportunities to feed my wraith or resurrect.

With your own wraith in one of our active matches, you upgraded him and moved him to the front line before he had eaten any corpses. When he first spawns he's a gentle little baby, so I was able to rush in, kill him, and stomp on him so I wouldn't have to worry about him for the rest of the game.

Oh, also you've been using your scrolls and fireball spells kind of randomly. You only get a few of them, and you really want to save them for decisive moments (like when you have an upgraded Wraith you need to kill).

wonderpug on
  • Options
    baddmanbaddman Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm in!
    baddman/TheRyanBurke

baddman on
  • Options
    What's the most interesting thing you've discovered while playing this game that they don't tell you about (either in help or the game guide)?

Mine's that the wraith can use any corpse as a spawn point. I found it useful once when an opponent had a weakened unit next to one of my KO'd units. Mmmm, good eats!

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Sweet, sign me up! I've been having fun with this game for a while.

ani_game_bum/ani_game_bum

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    Knights can't knock units onto corpses (it blocks them). If a unit is fired up from a scroll and dies, he'll still have the scroll powerup if you resurrect him. If a phantom was raised on your spawn point, you can spawn a new guy on the point and stomp the phantom at the same time.

• Options
    I don't want to count my chicken's before hatched, but I might have beaten AdmanB with a healer (though he may still find a way I don't see to win). This game is rewarding for the player willing to not give up (as I felt like doing earlier in the match).