As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Broken Age: Double Fine's 3.3 Million Dollar Kickstarter Game

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    So what happens if the game's no good? Does that stop something like this from ever happening again?

I think the documentary process is going to be huge for keeping pledging interest and give people something tangible for their money until the game is released. That was a great idea.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Syrdon wrote:
    So what happens if the game's no good? Does that stop something like this from ever happening again?
    I think it depends on why its no good. If it seems like the developers took the money and ran, then yes. If it seems like they gave it a really serious shot, but it just wasn't much fun then no. Not, honestly, that I'm really worried with these folks.

I think it's important to note that I have full faith it will be awesome. I'm just curious if even if the game was bad, would the idea behind this still hold merit for people who felt "burned".

No I don't.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2012
    They're going to seriously have well over a million by March 13th.

EDIT: Schafer has said that extra money will go towards translations.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Syrdon wrote:
    I think it depends on why its no good. If it seems like the developers took the money and ran, then yes. If it seems like they gave it a really serious shot, but it just wasn't much fun then no. Not, honestly, that I'm really worried with these folks.

I think it's important to note that I have full faith it will be awesome. I'm just curious if even if the game was bad, would the idea behind this still hold merit for people who felt "burned".

It probably would harm the crowd sourcing idea for bigger games, but how much is anyone's guess.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:

At this rate of pledge, the list of translations will include Aramaic, Klingon, and Elvish (both versions).

• Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:

At this rate of pledge, the list of translations will include Aramaic, Klingon, and Elvish (both versions).

A klingon version would make me pledge also. :P

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote:
    This has been a great year, first a genuine XCOM remake and now to see this succeed is just amazing. They are totally going well over their budget they wanted. What I want to know is who donated 10k?! That's a lot of monies, but apparently the lunch reward is sold out!

I wonder with the excess funding they have if they would consider an iOS version (if possible).

According to his twitter, Notch donated the 10k. Apparently it wouldn't let him donate more.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Well I put a $100 in last night. Nice to see they're already almost at double their original goal.
    I think they might need some more posters.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    They'll need a kickstarter to fund the production of all the posters.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Guys, I don't think Notch was all that needed for Psychonauts2.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Kickstarter records so far: Most funds raised in the first 24 hours. Highest number of backers of all time, and growing! Good morning! :)
    Tweeted about half an hour ago. There's still another 8 hours to go before the first 24 hours is up, too. :shock:

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    I'm confused. What happens to all the extra money donated to them that is over the goal? Let's say the budget of the game was the Goal on Kickstarter.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Essentially they then just have more money to spend on their game/documentary budget.
    The original budget may have called for little to no voice acting to be conservative, now they can do more. Would be pc/steam only with more cash they could look into releasing on a console or something. Bonus budget.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Robes wrote:
    I'm confused. What happens to all the extra money donated to them that is over the goal? Let's say the budget of the game was the Goal on Kickstarter.
    UPDATE: We did it! 100% funded in just over eight hours. You people are amazing! But it's not over yet. The number keeps going up and now the question is just how much news do we want to make with this? We're getting a lot of attention already and it seems like this little project could have an impact beyond itself.

All money raised will go to make the game and documentary better. Additional money means it can appear on more platforms, be translated into more languages, have more music and voice, and an original soundtrack for the documentary, and more!

Your backing and comments have been truly inspiring to me and the team, so on behalf of Double Fine and 2 Player Productions I want to say THANK YOU!!!

I can't wait to see where this thing can go!

• Options
    BerserkisBerserkis Registered User regular
    Robes wrote:

they put towards creating the game on other platforms, different languages, boost the documentary quality (maybe?)
    etc.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I put in my $30, which is really a small price to pay for what it looks like I'll be getting out of it. I'm really excited both by the promise of this game, and by the existence of this type of project. I look forward to kickstarting Psychonauts 2.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    God, I love how much Double Fine loves making games. The amount of care and love in all of their games from Psychonauts all the way to Trenched is really fantastic.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    But why wouldn't those expenses be put into the original goal? The description near the bottom says there will be a documentary. Why wouldn't that expense be put into the original goal?

I'm an extremely skeptical person by nature -_- What's stopping them from pocketing the extra cash? Especially when you've raised $330k over your goal.

Robes on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Robes wrote:
    But why wouldn't those expenses be put into the original goal? The description near the bottom says there will be a documentary. Why wouldn't that expense be put into the original goal?

I'm an extremely skeptical person by nature -_- What's stopping them from pocketing the extra cash? Especially when you've raised $330k over your goal.

It's also possible that the Kickstarter goal was a "Bare minimum to complete the game" type of thing.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Robes wrote:

The documentary WAS in the original goal. The original goal was 300K for the game, and 100K for the doccumentary.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    They can take the extra money and use it for whatever they want because they are Double Fine and i love them.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm definitely donating something tonight. Still can't decide between $15 and $30 though. Not sure if the extra donation is worth it or not - they obviously aren't hurting for cash on this, so it comes down to the extra stuff I get :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Robes wrote:

Firstly, 400k is an extremely obtainable number. If they'd gone with something like a million, perception of the goal would have been much different.

Secondly, low-balling makes sense in this case, especially since they met their goal so fast. You make your budget to make the game, and explain that everything over that will make the game better in these ways. It ensures that anything over that goal won't be wasted money and will have very definite avenues of allocation.

Usually it's proceeds from initial sales that go towards stuff like additonal localizations and platforms. But if they can circumvent that through additional donations and make it more readily available on day one, that's totally a good thing.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Robes wrote:

Nothing is stopping them, and I'm sure they will be pocketing more money because they raised more. What did you think all this money was going toward?

Pixels aren't expensive. Notes of music aren't expensive. It's the people that shape and craft these things that cost money. I'm sure more money is going to translate into a better product, don't get me wrong, but I'm also sure that more money is going to translate into a bigger salary for the people making the game. And that's perfectly fine.

After all, this isn't a charity and these guys aren't volunteering their time. It's an interesting "new" business model for making a video game. You're paying them ahead of time for a product, and the more people pay, the more they're going to profit off this. It's an interesting move, but I doubt it would be this successful with many other developers.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote:
    Robes wrote:

It's also possible that the Kickstarter goal was a "Bare minimum to complete the game" type of thing.

Exactly. The more funds you have, the fancier you can make the finished project.

• Options
    Honestly, I was hoping studios would do this with kickstarter when I first heard about it. I'm also hoping it becomes more widespread and maybe do something to curtail the giant budgets that most games have nowaddays. Hopefully make studios a little more willing to make the games that publishers don't really want them to.

• Options
    My bad. After giving it more thought it makes more sense to me now. You're buying the product before hand realy.

• Options
    Javen wrote:
    Honestly, I was hoping studios would do this with kickstarter when I first heard about it. I'm also hoping it becomes more widespread and maybe do something to curtail the giant budgets that most games have nowaddays. Hopefully make studios a little more willing to make the games that publishers don't really want them to.

.... and tomorrow Activision starts 40 Kickstarter fundraisers...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    So, the $100 donation tier.

This might be me being my often unreasonable self, but it irks me they're charging $10 to ship the poster internationally.

I'm going to give you $100. That's twice what a big budget game would cost, and you're getting it ahead of time--far sooner than the typical pre-order scheme. Not only that, but I'm spending $70 more than someone else who is getting the same thing as me minus a poster. And you're going to charge an extra $10 to ship it?

The posters should be shipped for free, worldwide. Even if it costs them $15 to ship someone their poster, that person gave almost 700% more than the majority. Eat the shipping cost. Take it out of the huge chunk of money I'm offering up in good faith based on your reputation and the promise of a neat game down the line.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    And the train's rollin'.
    @ChrisAvellone Now can we get a Kickstarter campaign for an old school isometric RPG by @Obsidian_Ent @ChrisAvellone ? kthx

@shubn I'm down.

C2B on
  • Options
    C2B wrote:
    And the train's rollin'.
    @ChrisAvellone Now can we get a Kickstarter campaign for an old school isometric RPG by @Obsidian_Ent @ChrisAvellone ? kthx

@shubn I'm down.

I think these guys are going to find this won't be as successful if more people keep hopping on the bandwagon.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Figgy wrote:

This might be me being my often unreasonable self, but it irks me they're charging $10 to ship the poster internationally.

I'm going to give you $100. That's twice what a big budget game would cost, and you're getting it ahead of time--far sooner than the typical pre-order scheme. Not only that, but I'm spending $70 more than someone else who is getting the same thing as me minus a poster. And you're going to charge an extra $10 to ship it?

The posters should be shipped for free, worldwide. Even if it costs them $15 to ship someone their poster, that person gave almost 700% more than the majority. Eat the shipping cost. Take it out of the huge chunk of money I'm offering up in good faith based on your reputation and the promise of a neat game down the line.

International shipping is expensive as hell. I think $15 is a SUPER generous estimate. It's probably in the $20s if not $30s due to size (I gotta think they are at least shipping these in tubes, but who knows). They are probably already eating some of the cost. You'd be hard pressed to ship anything for $10 domestically anymore.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Figgy wrote:
    I think these guys are going to find this won't be as successful if more people keep hopping on the bandwagon.

I think this is only "really" going to work with developers having a cult following anyway.

C2B on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Three quarters of a million dollars.

"Wow" feels inadequate, but that's all I've got.

Wow.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Figgy wrote:

International shipping is expensive as hell. I think $15 is a SUPER generous estimate. It's probably in the $20s if not $30s due to size (I gotta think they are at least shipping these in tubes, but who knows).

Not really. I've shipped things to and from all over the world. And still, most internationally shipped posters will be to Canada and Europe. Canada, they're paying $4. Europe? Maybe three times that. How many people from Hong Kong do you think they're going to have to ship a poster to?

• Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Figgy wrote:

International shipping is expensive as hell. I think $15 is a SUPER generous estimate. It's probably in the $20s if not $30s due to size (I gotta think they are at least shipping these in tubes, but who knows). They are probably already eating some of the cost. You'd be hard pressed to ship anything for $10 domestically anymore.

And besides they did tell you upfront about the cost of international shipping. If you still donated more than $100, you have accepted the cost of it.

• Options
    Though I wouldn't mind them taking some of that extra cash and putting it towards international deliveries, just as an additonal thank you.

• Options
    Figgy wrote:
    Not really. I've shipped things to and from all over the world. And still, most internationally shipped posters will be to Canada and Europe. Canada, they're paying $4. Europe? Maybe three times that. How many people from Hong Kong do you think they're going to have to ship a poster to?

Through which service? There's definitely going to be a price difference between someone who ships to specific locations and someone who ships globally like UPS for example (which is probably what they need given these donations could come from anywhere)

• Options
    johnwing wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Figgy wrote:

And besides they did tell you upfront about the cost of international shipping. If you still donated more than $100, you have accepted the cost of it.

Well, I'm not saying they are being deceitful, just that it wouldn't be much trouble for them to cover the cost. It's shipping cost for them coming out of a $70 poster.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Within 30 seconds of watching the video I'd pledged 30$. I really love that this kind of thing exists and I'm all for paying for content that I want individually. Though I'm tempted to bump my pledge up further...

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else