Options

OLD [STEAM] Thread: CLOSE ME

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    As my birthday is coming up this weekend, I should have the money to buy something from my wishlist, but I think I'll make a wise investment in my machine and save my birthday money for a new processor, to finally complete what I started.

• Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Nah, I really don't like pads for the VAST majority of games. Almost anything 3d actually I can't stand pads in. Might have something to do with the genesis being my last console I actually played a fair amount.

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    As my birthday is coming up this weekend, I should have the money to buy something from my wishlist, but I think I'll make a wise investment in my machine and save my birthday money for a new processor, to finally complete what I started.

If your contemplating a CPU upgrade anyways, you might want to think about stretching your current one by OCing if your not already.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Its a 3.0 duo core.
    Do I OC by motherboard settings, or BIOs?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I have a dilemma. This is my first gaming PC and I've had it for a year, so I need help with this.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/29/pinball-fx-2-included-in-windows-8-consumer-preview/

Zen motherfucking Pinball is finally coming to PC. This was the one thing preventing me from laying console gaming to rest. But for Windows 8? What kind of support does Steam, Blizzard's lineup (SC2 and Diablo 3) and Origin have for Windows 8? Spring Break starts tomorrow and I would be willing to consider making the conversion because I have a 500 gig external drive for a good majority of my titles and albums, but switching to a trial of Windows 8 is quite the commitment. My PC is not a workstation this semester, so I have no problem doing this.

And what is the nature of moving my Steam games onto a drive so that I don't have to redownload gigs and gigs of installation files?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Does anyone play Rift? I heard it was pretty good.

I bought it and have a year left on my sub, but haven't played in a while due to other things.

If you want to try it for free, here's an Ascend-a-Friend link.

Lets you play the first 20 levels for free without a time limit.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    The Borderlands talk just reminded me of that fact that I've put in well over 300 hours total on 3 different platforms and still haven't "finished" the actual game.

How is that even possible? Did you start over constantly to play co-op with new people? Or do you mean get to max level when you say finished?

• Options
    Its a 3.0 duo core.
    Do I OC by motherboard settings, or BIOs?
    If your motherboard came with software for software OCing you could try that. I've always OC'ed via bios settings. I'd look up a few guides (there are different opinions) if your new to it and maybe have your tech friend help you out. Google something like overclocking core duo. It is absolutely possible to fuck shit up and will likely lower the life expectancy of the hardware (by how much is debatable). But if you follow some common sense and take it slow you should be fine and your looking to upgrade it anyways:) That's my hardwares life-cycle. New, stock (after market HSF though). Some game is starting to make me wish I had more horse power, over-clock. Really outdated and ocing isn't keeping it up to snuff, upgrade. Not sure how much you'll get out of the stock Heatsink Fan. Naturally anything you do is, at your own risk.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I have a dilemma. This is my first gaming PC and I've had it for a year, so I need help with this.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/29/pinball-fx-2-included-in-windows-8-consumer-preview/

Zen motherfucking Pinball is finally coming to PC. This was the one thing preventing me from laying console gaming to rest. But for Windows 8? What kind of support does Steam, Blizzard's lineup (SC2 and Diablo 3) and Origin have for Windows 8? Spring Break starts tomorrow and I would be willing to consider making the conversion because I have a 500 gig external drive for a good majority of my titles and albums, but switching to a trial of Windows 8 is quite the commitment. My PC is not a workstation this semester, so I have no problem doing this.

And what is the nature of moving my Steam games onto a drive so that I don't have to redownload gigs and gigs of installation files?

The Steam move is incredibly easy. Just re-install Steam, move the old steamapps folder to the new location, start up Steam, all is good. At the most, the first time you run a game it will reinstall VC++.

As for whether or not Windows 8 is compatible with everything, the technical answer is "maybe" while the real answer is "you're probably not going to have any problems." While there is always the chance it won't work, Windows 8 is an upgraded Windows 7 framework, so realisticaly everything should work fine.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Man, SR3 you are tempting.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Oh dear, I'm trolling along the forums and notice a PM.

"Odd," says I, "I wonder what this could be."

Well it was @HiT BiT, smacking upside the head with the classybat.

Thanks for Saira, dude.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    oh god damn it. SR3 gets a sale the day after my coupon expires.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    The Borderlands talk just reminded me of that fact that I've put in well over 300 hours total on 3 different platforms and still haven't "finished" the actual game.

How is that even possible? Did you start over constantly to play co-op with new people? Or do you mean get to max level when you say finished?

By "finish" I mean complete the story.

You can easily spend 50 hours with a character if you do alllllllll the sidequests and expansions. And I restarted a bunch of times, did some co-op runs, etc. got very near the end, but never actually beat the game.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Is there any sort of central site to download PC game saves? Does such a thing exist?

There are a few 360 games I alllllmost finished but ended up getting distracted on. I eventually bought them on Steam and would like to finish them without investing 20 hours in each. I'm probably less than 5 hours from the end of Darksiders, Alan Wake, and LA Noire and want to see some conclusions!

Once more. Anyone?

• Options
    Is there any sort of central site to download PC game saves? Does such a thing exist?

There are a few 360 games I alllllmost finished but ended up getting distracted on. I eventually bought them on Steam and would like to finish them without investing 20 hours in each. I'm probably less than 5 hours from the end of Darksiders, Alan Wake, and LA Noire and want to see some conclusions!

Once more. Anyone?

GameFAQs has that sometimes if the game calls for that sort of stuff. Mass Effect has its own site full of saves, which I'm gonna need to use.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    striderjg wrote: »
    Nah, I really don't like pads for the VAST majority of games. Almost anything 3d actually I can't stand pads in. Might have something to do with the genesis being my last console I actually played a fair amount.

Well there's your problem, buddy. A pad makes lots of games much, much better.

• Options

Especially Dead Space. It's remarkably better suited to a pad.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Pereza0 wrote: »
    big thanks to @bloodatonement for this rockin gift on my birthday!! Will make sure to blow all the torches if any are to be found heh

Didn't even know it was your birthday, just wanted to use my coupon before it expired. What a crazy random happenstance! Happy Birthday!

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Ooh, SR2 and 3. Temptation. Though I've already chatted today about my lack of backlog progress, and I just know SR2 is the kinda thing that'll suck me in for weeks.

Oh Steam, why.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I needed my mouse security blanket to let me shoot unmans properly.
    I can't even imagine giving myself a second handicap when I played that game.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Ashe wrote: »
    Ooh, SR2 and 3. Temptation. Though I've already chatted today about my lack of backlog progress, and I just know SR2 is the kinda thing that'll suck me in for weeks.

Oh Steam, why.

Because it's 3.75!! Don't ask why!

• Options
    edited March 2012

I felt the same way at first, but somehow it manages to just feel much more right with a controller.

minor incident on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    anoffday wrote:
    Does anyone play Rift? I heard it was pretty good.

I love rift. The class system is too awesome. I haven't played since six months or so after release but I loved it. Rifts, zone invasions, and above average pvp make it worthwhile.

I just always quit mmos after a few months of end game grinding and the pa guild was disbanding at the time

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    I didn't have too much trouble with the DS1 controls, but I can understand how they might be really offputting for some people. FWIW, DS2 feels way better.

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular

I felt the same way at first, but somehow it manages to just feel much more right with a controller. P

Is this the consensus with DS2 as well? I'm going to be starting on that one in a couple weeks and am wondering if I should play it with a pad...

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Hyperion wrote: »

Is this the consensus with DS2 as well? I'm going to be starting on that one in a couple weeks and am wondering if I should play it with a pad...
    I'm playing it PERFECTLY with KBAM. It controls so much better than DS1.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    I took one look at the KBAM controls in the Dead Space manual and immediately plugged in my controller instead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    DS1 KBAM control issues were mostly centered on it being a poor port, control wise.

I understand that DS2 has no such problem.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    I don't think y'all know my dislike of the pad in most games ;) Plenty of times heard game is better with pad, tried it, couldn't stand it. Just need to be more careful to pick up on, "game better with pad" and skip (if I think it's one of the games I won't like pad in). Although if I followed that too much I never would have gotten bastion, and that was just fine with kbam.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

The Steam move is incredibly easy. Just re-install Steam, move the old steamapps folder to the new location, start up Steam, all is good. At the most, the first time you run a game it will reinstall VC++.

As for whether or not Windows 8 is compatible with everything, the technical answer is "maybe" while the real answer is "you're probably not going to have any problems." While there is always the chance it won't work, Windows 8 is an upgraded Windows 7 framework, so realisticaly everything should work fine.

I trimmed my Steamapps folder to 185 GB, leaving plenty of room for my music and Origins games, as well as my SC2 Installer. By moving this folder do I keep my saves? I still need to beat Torchlight.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Payday is 50% off this weekend.

Does anybody have any coupons for... oh...

:(

• Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I trimmed my Steamapps folder to 185 GB, leaving plenty of room for my music and Origins games, as well as my SC2 Installer. By moving this folder do I keep my saves? I still need to beat Torchlight.

Saves can be trickier because they may be stored in the Steamapps folder, an AppData folder, the My Games folder, or the My Documents folder. The only surefire way to be sure is to check every one that doesn't have cloud sync.

• Options
    stlobusstlobus Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Big Isy wrote: »
    So playing that final 2 hours of LA Noire last night has proven to be to much for my body to handle. Finished at 2am and stayed up chatying in steam till 3am and fell asleep finally at 4. Had to wake up at 7 so naturally I beat the alarm clock by 30 minutes. I feel sick :(

So who wants to Co-op space marines tonight?

If you're still looking for another person, I'm interested. What time are you thinking?

stlobus on
    PSN/SEN: lobus Steam: stlobus XBox: St Lobus NNID: Lobus42
  • Options
    Pereza0Pereza0 Registered User regular
    big thanks to @bloodatonement for this rockin gift on my birthday!! Will make sure to blow all the torches if any are to be found heh

Did you get Torchlight?

yup

• Options
    Pereza0Pereza0 Registered User regular

Did you get Torchlight?

yup

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    The super-classy @Lord_Snot just ended my Saints Row 2 dilemma. Thanks muchly! A tip of my crabby hat to you!
    vmtdB.gif

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular

It couldn't possibly be your birthday's since today is my birthday and will not share. I demand satisfaction, to thunderdome!

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    I'm back to Spacechem after a long time (was stuck on a puzzle and kind of gave up) and I'm totally addicted again. Too bad there's just a few people on my friends leaderboards on the later planets, so I can't know if I'm doing terrible or not.
    So, if you play Spacechem please add me on Steam, just click my sig.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »

It couldn't possibly be your birthday's since today is my birthday and will not share. I demand satisfaction, to thunderdome!

Man, why can't you get beyond thunder dome?

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Thunder dome is actually the name of my PC.I just wanted to play some games with you guys. What you thought I wanted to fight to the death?

I mean I would.work has gotten me some aggression I need to let out and I haven't worn my Tina Turner mad Max outfit in a long time

mts on
    camo_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.