As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Wait, this game has single-player? USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Download finished, installed, can't start ME2 because it's missing some dll. About to buy a ticket to India to go strangle this guy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    God DAMN that's a lot of Phantoms. I also clearly made a mistake when I didn't spec Stasis Bubble. Blast.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Orca wrote:
    God DAMN that's a lot of Phantoms. I also clearly made a mistake when I didn't spec Stasis Bubble. Blast.

A huge one. That's what makes the Asari so god damn powerful. I think the best all around Gold run setup is gonna be a Phalanx Salarian Infiltrator, an Overload spamming Engineer, an Asari Adept (duh), and someone who can shoot and has a Widow (Krogan Soldier with a Widow maybe? His massive carry capacity may allow him to fart Carnage shots constantly)

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    Ohhhhh yeah. Stasis bubble all the way.

• Options
    ShadowThomasShadowThomas Registered User regular
    I unlocked salarian infiltrator tonight, and I'm not impressed -- at least, not playing it as a sniper. I unlocked the krogun right at the end, so I might try taking that alone, although if the cooldowns are still too long for my liking it's back to the Katana. Proximity mine didn't nearly as useful as maxed, proxy sticky grenades (when ammo boxes work right), but I didn't have long to play around with it. Can you have more than one proxy out at a time?

I run mine with just a Tempest and basically just keep mobile using Energy Drain anything with a shield/barrier and proxy mines on groups. The proxy mines seem to be bugged since they don't actually trigger when something walks by them, so i just use them as a grenade. Playing like that I can solo phantoms and atlases without too much trouble (on bronze at least, it's more difficult to play this way on silver)

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Lemming, every time you got a Steam message, I panicked and checked mine messages cause I thought it was my wife telling me to go to bed :D

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    lemming i'll have to add you on origin for gold-level funtimes

my krogan soldier wants to play

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Someone figure out the face code for this

haleshep1.jpg

I NEEDS IT

I present to you...

753.QGG.G11.W8Q.TA1.65P.9EG.411.PA6.5J7.267.116

Hale Shepard

I think I got pretty close. Whoever made that picture either modded in violet eyes or else needs to color calibrate their machine. Otherwise, there should be an uncanny resemblance between that code and the Shep in the pic.

Someone test it out and let me know what you think.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    99% of good femsheps look the same, especially in screenshots

minor code differences will only show up in animations

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    99% of good femsheps look the same, especially in screenshots

minor code differences will only show up in animations

True! That's why it wasn't hard to figure out.

• Options
    JackKieserJackKieser Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Anyone for 2 Xbox LIVE rounds tonight? Feel free to PM (Jack Kieser), and I'll invite you in the game; I'm trying to get my GF to be more comfortable on LIVE, and I know some PA'ers would help. :P

EDIT: I love how this is like the 4th time I've tried to find people online only to have the thread stop moving. -_-;

JackKieser on

Balanced-Brawl-Sig-2.gif?t=1271711610
  • Options
    I already have all the uncommon guns and gun upgrades, so I got a veterans pack

and I only got commons ;=;

• Options
    Lemming, every time you got a Steam message, I panicked and checked mine messages cause I thought it was my wife telling me to go to bed :D

Wasn't actually my recording, it was the Asari's

I was the winfiltrator 8)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Carnifex with the Asari Adept is awesome.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    is there going to be a player vs player mode as well?

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    is there going to be a player vs player mode as well?

nope and no plans for it

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, I am sad that I did not Stasis bubble.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, Krogan Soldier with a Widow is a match made in heaven. The powers and raw survivability match up beautifully and since he can carry the world on his back, he still has +56% power recharge speed with the Widow. I just shit Carnage shots all over the place and when things get tough I can pop Fortification and GTFO.

EDIT: BHAHAHAHA with a Mantis I have 200% Power Recharge Speed. CARNAGE EVERYWHERE.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    ah, that would have been fun. I was actually rather surprised that the multiplayer is horde mode.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Making it PvE makes it much easier to balance. Witness the clusterfuck that is WoW PvP.

• Options
    Yeah, it'd be a giant Asari Adept clusterfuck.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    It feels like the Vanguard falls off in effectiveness as it gets more difficult

maybe I'm doing it wrong?

I feel like I need a different weapon, I've been using the Tempest but I need something better for longer ranges. If only the Mattock wasn't so heavy. I just unlocked the Phalanx, see what that's like

I really wish there was a way to unlock what you wanted : (

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    You're a Vanguard

and you're using an SMG

I see your problem.

Son, you need to find yourself a shotgun you like and marry it.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    It feels like the Vanguard falls off in effectiveness as it gets more difficult

maybe I'm doing it wrong?

I feel like I need a different weapon, I've been using the Tempest but I need something better for longer ranges. If only the Mattock wasn't so heavy. I just unlocked the Phalanx, see what that's like

I really wish there was a way to unlock what you wanted : (

This is true to some extent, but I have found that vanguards are surprisingly viable even on gold. The thing about the nova-charge combo is that you can simply extend it to deal with the higher enemy hit points as the difficulty goes up. The only enemies I have difficulty with are turrets, Atlases and sometimes Phantoms (usually when they have several assault troopers supporting them).

I am really curious about the viability of the Asari Vanguard. It seems like the stasis-charge synergy is a lot weaker than the nova-charge one, but on the other hand stasis bubble potentially gives a much better combat capacity at range. I am thinking that perhaps it would be viable to play her with a carnifex for reduced cooldowns. Her heavy melee should be a somewhat decent substitute to nova, allowing for the basic combos of charge-heavy melee-repeat and stasis bubble-headshots, as well as several biotic explosion combos with lift grenades and stasis. Would make for a slower pace than the non-stop madness of the human vanguard, but hopefully not too much less effective.

• Options
    I see the Vanguard as a great class to farm gear up with early on but not as any sort of truly viable gold tier class. You have to play so stupidly safely that it kinda defeats the point of the class. I'm sure you could turn the class into something else entirely through some sort of elaborate system of pulleys and self-gimping but then..why not just play a different class at that point?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I've found Vanguard's solid through Silver. Haven't tried Gold seriously enough to see how viable it is there, but I hope it's possible to play it effectively there.

• Options
    So, huge, ultra, omega, seriously fuck you if you think this is my fault if you click this spoilers:
    Apparently someone found the list of stuff you can do to get points for your galatic readiness score or whatever.

http://www.text-upload.com/txt.php?id=292305&c=5653532

I don't want to spoiler myself too bad so I looked for one very specific thing:
    ID=129 Reaper Brain Type: Military SubType: Fleet StartingStrength=110 ConditionalDescription="ME2 Base Kept"
    ID=130 Reaper Heart Type: Military SubType: Fleet StartingStrength=100 ConditionalDescription="ME2 Base Destroyed"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNlaH8HIdcs

SHOULD'VE KEPT THE BASE

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I unlocked salarian infiltrator tonight, and I'm not impressed -- at least, not playing it as a sniper. I unlocked the krogun right at the end, so I might try taking that alone, although if the cooldowns are still too long for my liking it's back to the Katana. Proximity mine didn't nearly as useful as maxed, proxy sticky grenades (when ammo boxes work right), but I didn't have long to play around with it. Can you have more than one proxy out at a time?

I run mine with just a Tempest and basically just keep mobile using Energy Drain anything with a shield/barrier and proxy mines on groups. The proxy mines seem to be bugged since they don't actually trigger when something walks by them, so i just use them as a grenade. Playing like that I can solo phantoms and atlases without too much trouble (on bronze at least, it's more difficult to play this way on silver)

They're awesome.

Break cloak with stunning shield drain, pistol whip the non-phantom target to death, roll into cover and you're already invisible again. Street justice, you are The Bat.

I also enjoy one-shotting non-phantoms from cloak with my starter rifle, not sure what more to ask for in a sniper.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Lemming wrote:
    So, huge, ultra, omega, seriously fuck you if you think this is my fault if you click this spoilers:
    Apparently someone found the list of stuff you can do to get points for your galatic readiness score or whatever.

ID=129 Reaper Brain Type: Military SubType: Fleet StartingStrength=110 ConditionalDescription="ME2 Base Kept"
    ID=130 Reaper Heart Type: Military SubType: Fleet StartingStrength=100 ConditionalDescription="ME2 Base Destroyed"

SHOULD'VE KEPT THE BASE

Uh. Doesn't that mean the fleet you will be fighting has a starting strength of 110?
    So that if you chose the other option, you have it easier?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Klyka wrote:
    Lemming wrote:

SHOULD'VE KEPT THE BASE

Uh. Doesn't that mean the fleet you will be fighting has a starting strength of 110?

Considering the list is kind of vague and we don't have 100% of the details of how it works, it seems to me that doesn't imply what you're fighting, it implies how many points that particular thing is worth. The system is called "War Assets" or something, so I'm assuming that column is how many points it's worth. For example, promoting a MP character once they get to level 20 is worth a certain amount of points, I'm pretty sure.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Lemming wrote:
    Klyka wrote:
    Lemming wrote:

SHOULD'VE KEPT THE BASE

Considering the list is kind of vague and we don't have 100% of the details of how it works, it seems to me that doesn't imply what you're fighting, it implies how many points that particular thing is worth. The system is called "War Assets" or something, so I'm assuming that column is how many points it's worth. For example, promoting a MP character once they get to level 20 is worth a certain amount of points, I'm pretty sure.

Hm, ok that makes sense too.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    @soundplush

wow good work.
    sounds very similar to everlasting, though!
    I'll try snoop around for a voiceless track..

edit:
    done!

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote:
    I see the Vanguard as a great class to farm gear up with early on but not as any sort of truly viable gold tier class. You have to play so stupidly safely that it kinda defeats the point of the class. I'm sure you could turn the class into something else entirely through some sort of elaborate system of pulleys and self-gimping but then..why not just play a different class at that point?

I kind of disagree, but my only experience with gold so far is two-manning the first three rounds with an infiltrator friend. The vanguards killing power is almost undiminished in gold, it is just a matter of choosing your battles properly. I will need to try it more to be able to say for sure though.

• Options
    Extended trailer haughaguhglghaglagh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml8My33-S2o

• Options
    ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    Should've put Garrus alongside Shepard and Ashley there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    video's private, dangit.

anyway, vanguard's viable at all difficulties, you just have to adjust your expectations

bronze: kill ALL the enemies

silver: charge groups and still win

gold: charge groups only when you know there isn't a stripper turret in the cake

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    Zealot wrote:
    Should've put Garrus alongside Shepard and Ashley there.

Would've been nice, as they are the poster characters of the original Mass Effect.

blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    @htm that face animates pretty decently, though the mouth's a little wide in some lines, and I think the jaw is wider than the one in the picture as well.

Also guys add me on originnnnnn Kain3k.

I am up for any difficulty!

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    Another thing about this trailer is that it is rather misleading, in a way that it appears the game is just about a conflict on earth between humans and some aliens/zombies, making it look more like Halo really.

Still, it's a nice trailer.

steam_sig.png