As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

World War II movies.

XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
The other day, I was re-watching "A Bridge Too Far", one of my most favorite WWII movies ever. I loved it because:

1. It showed all perspectives of the Operation Market Garden. Heck, it even featured Polish units.
2. The Germans spoke actual German, instead of heavily accented English.

And of course, it involves paratrooper units and one of the largest airborne assaults in history.

What are some of your favorite WWII movies?

XX55XX on

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I suspect this OP doesn't really meet the form for a D&D topic....still, I don't know the exact rules either.

Probably Brestskaya Krepost, lit. Brest Fortress. The English title is Fortress of War, I think. The movie has a lot of things going for it...

1. As per usual for Russian or CIS films, Germans speak German, Soviets speak Russian/Belarusian.
    2. It's vastly superior to the rather awful Enemy at the Gates (and I say this as someone who looks forward to Jude Law in films), in its plausibility, its execution, its handling of touchy subjects and even the narrative direction.
    3. It's got some of the best close-quarters combat scenes I've seen in any World War film. It takes Germans fighting with rifle butts, Belarusians fighting with spades and a Chechen using Sambo to bring home how fucking awful the fighting the Brest Fortress would have been for armies not prepared for CQC.
    4. It's (apparently) really sad, but still damn entertaining and really accessible--probably a feature of new They even attempted to make the movie accessible for right-wing viewers who'd be less interested in Generalplan Ost and more in the aftermath of the Purges of the late '30s.

I'm actually fond of more than a few American films (I won't mention them since one of them would get be crucified in this forum, heh), but I have to say, Fotress really stands out. It's shockingly good when I think of how accessible it is.

• Options
    I watched "Brest Fortress" last year. Great film.

Another personal favorite is the German film "Der Untergang".

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    The Great Escape

If you need something with better action... I would watch Band of Brothers Episodes 2 or 5.

• Options
    OP knows what the fuck's up.

male18-male-thinking-eyebrows-up-smiley-emoticon-000060-medium.gif

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    XX55XX wrote: »

Might as well throw the other great German ones out there: Das Boot and Stalingrad.
    Fair warning: Das Boot, while absolutely excellent, can drag on at times. I recommend the 150 minute theatrical version. Stay away from the 293(!) minute uncut version unless you're a real fan. I'm not. I did however get to walk through the set of Das Boot. It's a ridiculously accurate reproduction of a U-Boot and so cramped.

enc0re on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Seconding Downfall (Der Untergang)

DownFall.jpg

Over-parodied on the inter-web but still really good. Captures the despair of a collapsing Germany as the Russians close in.

RT800 on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I'm partial to The Big Red One, and not just because of skywalker.

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    I know it's the most obvious but Saving Private Ryan is phenomenal.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Band of Brothers miniseries was fantastic.

Where are our Pacific films? Bridge on the River Kwai is an old favorite of mine as well...

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Where are our Pacific films? Bridge on the River Kwai is an old favorite of mine as well...

I had this conversation at work the other day. It's sad, but I feel like there's just something not as romantic about the Pacific front. There's something about the European front that aesthetically and emotionally really seems to resonate with audiences.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    People don't like enemy at the gates? I always loved that one, but I did see it at a young age, perhaps I need to revisit. Or just let it simmer happily in my memory.

Great Escape is of course, a fantastic classic. Band of Brothers, while not a movie, is probably my all time favorite depiction though. Really really well done.

• Options
    Guys, guys, guys. I think we're missing the definitive WWII movie here.
    "Pearl Harbor" is a two-hour movie squeezed into three hours, about how on Dec. 7, 1941, the Japanese staged a surprise attack on an American love triangle. Its centerpiece is 40 minutes of redundant special effects, surrounded by a love story of stunning banality. The film has been directed without grace, vision, or originality, and although you may walk out quoting lines of dialog, it will not be because you admire them.

• Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Tora Tora Tora for a proper Pearl Harbor movie and The Caine Mutiny for Pacific naval drama.

The Enemy Below for a classic Destroyer vs. U-Boat duel and Sink the Bismarck for Bismarckiness.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    Eye of the Needle is pretty great, though it's not precisely a world war 2 movie so much as a movie that takes place in a world war 2 setting.

Erik
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Kelly's Heroes and The Guns Of Navarone are two of mine.

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    My guilty pleasure is Force 10 from Navarone.

Horrible inaccuracies and such, but it has a certain charm to it that I just can't resist...

• Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »

I do like the Guns of Navarone, but I think Where Eagles Dare is a better WWII commando movie.

midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    enc0re wrote: »
    XX55XX wrote: »

Might as well throw the other great German ones out there: Das Boot and Stalingrad.
    Fair warning: Das Boot, while absolutely excellent, can drag on at times. I recommend the 150 minute theatrical version. Stay away from the 293(!) minute uncut version unless you're a real fan. I'm not. I did however get to walk through the set of Das Boot. It's a ridiculously accurate reproduction of a U-Boot and so cramped.

Stalingrad--while not a bad movie--starts out much stronger than it ends. It's message is clear, and it's not a bad one, but all the same, it starts to get a little ridiculous at times.

Still, it's way better than its Hollywood rival. Not much of a compliment to pay it.

As I always tell people, Das Boot is a short miniseries. Not a movie.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    Oh, thought of another one I really liked that came out recently: Brest Fortress. No idea how hard it'd be to find though, it's Russian.

Erik
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Operation_Petticoat_poster.jpg11247.jpg

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Midshipman wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »

I do like the Guns of Navarone, but I think Where Eagles Dare is a better WWII commando movie.

Funnily enough, Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes are packaged together for Blu-Ray.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Kellys-Heroes-and-Where-Eagles-Dare-Blu-ray/8887/

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Sink the Bismark!

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    In no particular order:

Tora Tora Tora
    Kelley's Heroes
    The Dirty Dozen (HOW HAS THIS NOT BEEN MENTIONED YET YOU PHILISTINES)
    A Bridge Too Far
    Inglorious Basterds

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Midway
    Letters from Iwo Jima
    The Longest Day

oh h*ck
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The Ascent (1976), by soviet/ukrainian film maker Larisa Shapitko is a great world war two(or great patriotic war) film. Not really combat oriented though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ascent

Lucid on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Midway is pretty good.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular

I had this conversation at work the other day. It's sad, but I feel like there's just something not as romantic about the Pacific front. There's something about the European front that aesthetically and emotionally really seems to resonate with audiences.

I think it also has to do with there was a lot of personal, man-to-man combat along long stretches of road/countryside/cities where as the Pacific was ships and island hopping.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Objectively, I know it's kind of gross and war glorifying, but George C Scott is so great I can't help but love Patton.

I will second Tora! Tora! Tora!.
    Nocren wrote: »

I think it also has to do with there was a lot of personal, man-to-man combat along long stretches of road/countryside/cities where as the Pacific was ships and island hopping.

Also helps that there are just more actors available to play Europeans than there are Japanese. Tora Tora Tora did a smart thing by farming out the Japanese segments to Japanese directors who found Japanese actors. And we're Eurocentric to begin with.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    No love for The Cross of Iron?

tumblr_lwcitwqSdF1qg9b4bo1_400.jpg

Stars James Coburn along with James Mason and Maximilian Schell. Directed by Sam Peckinpah

About a squad of Germans on the Eastern Front in WW2, who get trapped behind enemy lines (I'm not going to spoil the reason why) and their journey back to their own forces. Some great battle scenes.

It's probably one of the best (anti) war films out there.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2012
    Not massively keen on Midway. It's kind of stodgy, crowbars in a dull romance sub plot and drags when it should soar. The best Pacific war movie is The Thin Red Line.

No one seems to have mentioned the fantastic Coburn/Mason/Peckinpah/Schell Cross of Iron yet. (EDIT: yes, they did, in the post right before mine).

The terrifying Come And See.

Casablanca, as endlessly rewatchable as ever, with the best last line in cinema and many more amazingly quotable ones before it.

The excellent Dambusters (with the unfortunatly named dog belonging to Guy Gibson making sure that even watching a faithful adaptation of one of Britain's finest hours there's something for us to wince at as well).

The Keep, Michael Mann's bizarre WWII mystic/ghost/horror movie stars Jurgen Prochnow and is worth watching.

Ice Cold in Alex, starring several stiff upper lips and the gorgeous Sylvia Sims, it documents the heroic struggle for a pint of beer in North Africa.

A Matter of Life and Death, starring David Niven as the most British of all British men, being British in the face of certain death, and winning through by virtue of his extreme Britishness.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote:
    No love for The Cross of Iron?

tumblr_lwcitwqSdF1qg9b4bo1_400.jpg

Stars James Coburn along with James Mason and Maximilian Schell. Directed by Sam Peckinpah

About a squad of Germans on the Eastern Front in WW2, who get trapped behind enemy lines (I'm not going to spoil the reason why) and their journey back to their own forces. Some great battle scenes.

It's probably one of the best (anti) war films out there.

I've watched it before, but I didn't like that fact that the Germans didn't speak German in that movie. Broke the immersion for me. (I am a big history junkie.)

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2012
    Hit quote instead of edit. Sorry.

Another decent WWII movie: The Long and The Short and the Tall.

Bogart on
  • Options
    On the guilty pleasure side, I enjoy the heck out of Patton whenever I see it.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Mister Roberts is good if you want a lighter fare.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    Where Eagles Dare
    A Bridge too Far

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I can't believe that no-one's mentioned Bridge on the River Kwai yet. Disgraceful!

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I can't believe that no-one's mentioned Bridge on the River Kwai yet. Disgraceful!

Yeah, that would be sad...

Boom, roasted.

(Seriously though, if you haven't seen this movie watch it RIGHT NOW)

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I quite like Conspiracy.

It's a movie about a bunch of guys sitting around a table. Having a meeting.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    413868.1020.A.jpg