As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wasteland 2] 14 major areas to explore. One to press your balls against.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Big Yuma/Liberty spoilers:
    So I let Cordite go ages ago when I freed him since I didn't want any slavers in my crew. Once I met with Angela and agreed to go with her plan she kept on telling me how stupid I had been and I should've taken him with me. Figured I can still go after the Patriarch but then Josie bails on me, wailing about how we need to think of Arizona and we can't deviate from the mission. Kwon and Lucia are both out as well, leaving me with only the green girl as my sole companion. After looking for the hobo companion a bit and never finding him in any of the places he is supposed to be, I figure I can still do this and head to Yuma with 5 people, assuming I can meet with Cordite there.

I meet with Patriarch's spy, tell him I'm working for Cordite and he laughs at my face. I kill him, walk out of the building only to see Cordite's corpse swaying in the wind. Uh ... oh. Now I basically have no plan/quest so I'm just walking around killing everything I see. There's all sorts of important quest items I keep on finding but I have no quest for them since I'm totally off the rails. Kinda curious how it all goes, already wiped out the Scarface mines.
    Scotchmo was just sitting in my HQ lunchroom after recruiting the noodle cook from the Bizarre.

Yeah he isn't there. I never recruited the cook though, maybe that's why? Or it could just be because refugees hate me, who knows. I could give the cook thing a try after work I guess.

The lunchroom area isn't "active" until you have a cook, so yeah that's probably it.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Big Yuma/Liberty spoilers:
    So I let Cordite go ages ago when I freed him since I didn't want any slavers in my crew. Once I met with Angela and agreed to go with her plan she kept on telling me how stupid I had been and I should've taken him with me. Figured I can still go after the Patriarch but then Josie bails on me, wailing about how we need to think of Arizona and we can't deviate from the mission. Kwon and Lucia are both out as well, leaving me with only the green girl as my sole companion. After looking for the hobo companion a bit and never finding him in any of the places he is supposed to be, I figure I can still do this and head to Yuma with 5 people, assuming I can meet with Cordite there.

I meet with Patriarch's spy, tell him I'm working for Cordite and he laughs at my face. I kill him, walk out of the building only to see Cordite's corpse swaying in the wind. Uh ... oh. Now I basically have no plan/quest so I'm just walking around killing everything I see. There's all sorts of important quest items I keep on finding but I have no quest for them since I'm totally off the rails. Kinda curious how it all goes, already wiped out the Scarface mines.
    Scotchmo was just sitting in my HQ lunchroom after recruiting the noodle cook from the Bizarre.

Yeah he isn't there. I never recruited the cook though, maybe that's why? Or it could just be because refugees hate me, who knows. I could give the cook thing a try after work I guess.
    You need to go to the Monster bazaar, go to the tunnels and find ramen noodles, in a vending machine you have to hack. Give them to the cook, and he’ll leave for your base.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    From the patch:
    Polly and the Cyborg Chickens have been beefed up
    Too late, Inxile.

Too late. ;_;

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    In the end I just 5-manned my way through Liberty's gangs and then beat her up, 1 AP brawling attack at a time. Man, punching a 6k hp woman takes a while. At least she bleeds for 700+ per round.

It's kinda sad when you see all these named guys who are obviously there for quests and then just murder them all. The whole area isn't even set up very well for fighting unlike Aspen and I got a bug that turned my cursor to talk icon even when fighting so I had to manually hit "1" to switch to attack every time I wanted to punch somebody in the face. Felt like the bug underlined the fact there could be other ways to deal with them but no, punch punch punch for me. Talking is done, only punching is left.

Getting kinda tedious but I assume the end is nigh since all three villains have been dealt with and only daddy is left. Of course game crashed before I got back to Colorado Springs but he'll get his face punched soon enough.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    To make combat less tedious.

1 get shotgun/flamer
    2 put scope+choke on it

Shoot entire map at once

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Shotgun with the Devastation perk does some serious work for sure. I wonder if the perk counts all the various destructible items as targets for the damage bonus since it sometimes feels it does ridiculous damage compared to the tooltip numbers.

• Options
    RIP Polly.

You were the wind under Major Tomcat's wings.

• Options
    Never did get that cook, instead just finished this. Had fun for the most part, bugs were the biggest nuisance. Combat on Normal was a bit on the easy side with the occasional crit KO but it was mostly enjoyable and fights looked cool enough. A bit annoyed game pass doesn't show playing time.

The final showdown and the epilogue was nice, I liked how the main "villain" handles his loss. Slightly tempted to do it again with a different take on the main quest but I know I'd get bored of the combat long before I'd get to the end again.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Been replaying 2 before getting to 3, and the whole Titan Canyon thing is a little bit of a "Got Ya" if
    You give the bomb to the monks. They don't even detonate it themselves. It's an agent of Matthias that blows it up. This whole thing would have worked better if the monks had done it.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I think the survival skill really makes the world map trekking a little boring. Being able to navigate the world map for 20 minutes and not run into a single fight is weird.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Lordy, the state of the console release makes this game hard to love. Regular crashes to the dashboard are bad enough, but for a couple of days I couldn't change up my squad, because as soon as I swapped anyone out, the game stopped responding to controller inputs.

That seems to be sorted out now, but boy was I surprised when the sneaky, lockpicking sniper I'd leveled up to 9 and took out of the squad for a mission came back with her attributes and perks reset and her skills set to 2 Automatics and 1 Explosives. No points to spend, either - just had to shelve her entirely.

Apparently it's bad on Xbox One, and worse on PS4. Bummer. Simply because of my narrow view of the history of the franchise ("Did you know this spun-off into a little game called Fallout?") I was inherently planning to try it out on PC anyway, but it's still bad news.

Oh really? I thought it was worse on Xbox. That's where I was seeing the majority of the complaints online. I'm on ps4 and have had a few crashes. But all of the "I have crashed 5 times in one night" posts I saw were people on Xbox.

Complaints about technical issues seem more common across PS4 reviews than Xbox One reviews, but this is by no means scientific. Plus I'm pretty sure I've seen a few here in this thread, to start.

But I'm a newcomer. The only people I know who're bought this on console are playing it on PS4--not a large sample, to be clear--and they're getting the worst of the crashes-to-menu.

Zero idea if it's any better on Playstation 4 Pro.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I think the survival skill really makes the world map trekking a little boring. Being able to navigate the world map for 20 minutes and not run into a single fight is weird.

You can always skip the skill if you want, it doesn't do anything else essential. Or just use any of the other options and fight every time. I hate having to do random fights when I travelling so I absolutely loved Survival - random trash fights that add nothing to the game are one of my main gripes with older JRPGs.

• Options

World map combats are potentially very tough and survival does not modify the rate but let’s you avoid them in conversation

There just aren’t a lot of fights and, I think, before you do get to the bizarre or do the first 50/50 quest you cannot run into one.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

You can always skip the skill if you want, it doesn't do anything else essential. Or just use any of the other options and fight every time. I hate having to do random fights when I travelling so I absolutely loved Survival - random trash fights that add nothing to the game are one of my main gripes with older JRPGs.

That's funny because that's what I loved about the old Fallout games. Just rolling along and BAM a wild pack of super mutants.

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

World map combats are potentially very tough and survival does not modify the rate but let’s you avoid them in conversation

There just aren’t a lot of fights and, I think, before you do get to the bizarre or do the first 50/50 quest you cannot run into one.

Ohh okay. I ran into one so far and I'm probably 10 or 15 hours into the game. Figured it was my 7 Survival Stat.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    What level are new, custom recruits when they join your party? Is it an average of the rest of your party, or your highest level character? I had an idea to create a 10 CHA main character, and as he outlevels everyone, just re-make some new recruits at the higher level back at HQ. So far, that doesn't seem to be the case.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Also, sometimes in battle, a horseshoe icon kind of pops up above a characters head momentarily. Does that indicate a crit has occured?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Heir wrote: »
    Also, sometimes in battle, a horseshoe icon kind of pops up above a characters head momentarily. Does that indicate a crit has occured?

It means Luck was triggered in some fashion. Lucky action can give you your AP back which can be hilarious if your action was a 10 AP run .. not sure how Luck works with crits exactly. It can also mean crit evaded if enemy is firing at you.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    What level are new, custom recruits when they join your party? Is it an average of the rest of your party, or your highest level character? I had an idea to create a 10 CHA main character, and as he outlevels everyone, just re-make some new recruits at the higher level back at HQ. So far, that doesn't seem to be the case.

According to Goug, it's the level of the character in the first slot of your party. So you want that character to be your charisma stacking leader. Mine just hit 25 while the rest of my party is still 21.

• Options
    I don't know for sure, but as far as I can tell, it works something like this. New characters seem to get created at a level that is just below the shared XP you've earned. So as a hypothetical, if level 10 started at say 10000 xp and level 11 started at 11000 xp, and you had earned 10500 shared XP, new characters would be created at level 10 with 10000 xp.

But it seems like characters that have already been created but then are left at HQ, when they auto level when added back into the team, due to that gap between actual earned xp and leveling only to the minimum xp needed to to reach that level, they are falling behind newly created characters in level. Effectively, it looks like they are losing out on xp they would otherwise have that falls between level X and level X+1 every time they are auto leveled. For example if new characters are level 20, an auto-leveled character might only get bumped up to level 19 when readded to the team.

Charisma bonus XP only applies to that one character. Like how XP from lockpicking only goes to the character that actually does the action, not the entire team. Because this is individual xp, not shared XP, it wouldnt count towards the level of new recruits. So your CHA character will naturally be higher level than new recruits.

The horseshoe icon pops up anytime the Luck stat triggers and gets you bonus AP, crit, resist, evade, or healing.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

According to Goug, it's the level of the character in the first slot of your party. So you want that character to be your charisma stacking leader. Mine just hit 25 while the rest of my party is still 21.

From what I can see, it doesn't seem to do that. The person that's been in my #1 slot the entire game is level 19 but new characters are being created at 20. If I move my level 23 into slot #1, new characters are still level 20. Doesn't matter which is put in #1, my existing characters only get bumped to 18 or 19 either way when added to the party.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I played a couple hours of this, enjoying the shit out of it so far. This game has that "je ne sais quoi" that the older classic RPGs from the 1990s had. I meet a character about to be executed for no good reason and I know that I can help him and something will happen, even though I don't have a quest for it. I let a sketchy prisoner in my base go free, and I expect that's probably gonna come back to bite me in the ass later.

I might have to go back and play Wasteland 2 if it was as good as this, I remember passing on it for whatever reason.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »

From what I can see, it doesn't seem to do that. The person that's been in my #1 slot the entire game is level 19 but new characters are being created at 20. If I move my level 23 into slot #1, new characters are still level 20. Doesn't matter which is put in #1, my existing characters only get bumped to 18 or 19 either way when added to the party.

This is essentially what I'm seeing too.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So how are folks dealing with Val and the Gippers?
    I can't decide between sending Ronnie to the Robot Commune and having to wipe out the Gippers, or kidnapping the AI and making the 'bots mad.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I can't decide between sending Ronnie to the Robot Commune and having to wipe out the Gippers, or kidnapping the AI and making the 'bots mad.
    I just let the mind transfer happen, which basically killed Val. Gippers were happy, Deth was happy, I was happy, the Patriarch ... was not happy. But I never liked him, anyways. Machine commune didn't react to it at all.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I just let the mind transfer happen, which basically killed Val. Gippers were happy, Deth was happy, I was happy, the Patriarch ... was not happy. But I never liked him, anyways. Machine commune didn't react to it at all.
    I chose to give Reagan to the Machine Commune. The Gippers suck and I figured I'll try to keep Patriarch mostly happy before I depose him.

Small-ish spoilers for what happens when you do that:
    Maybe this changes, but Reagan doesn't like being in the Commune. You don't get to speak to him or anything, but MIT says as much. However, I do now have Party Bot following me around, so that's cool.

• Options

I couldn't be happy because
    Party Pal doesn't join you to provide dance parties at every battle, with med darts for your inconvenient chest wounds, and 40 MW disco lasers to the face for your enemies.

• Options
    I chose to give Reagan to the Machine Commune. The Gippers suck and I figured I'll try to keep Patriarch mostly happy before I depose him.

Small-ish spoilers for what happens when you do that:
    Maybe this changes, but Reagan doesn't like being in the Commune. You don't get to speak to him or anything, but MIT says as much. However, I do now have Party Bot following me around, so that's cool.

I kinda figured he wouldn't like it there. :P

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    How do you get the damn radiation shielding for your wagon? I got a mechanic, so I need more than one?

It's the chassis upgrades.

There should be 2 of them at the mechanic shop in your garage when you first get it up and running.

I don;t see anywhere that I could get them from in my base? Do I need more than one mechanic for a complete garage?

edit: ah! got it! It's actually tied to your progression. After you do the Zealot mission the shop opens up.

That's weird. I only finished that mission last night and I've had the shop for quite a while now.

I guess maybe it depends on *who* you got to run your shop? That actually makes a lot of sense.

There are a lot of members of the base that are either optional or you a choice of multiple sources.

Also I found a fun bug. On console have you ever noticed that when you use an item the pop up menu stays on the screen? And that even if the item is gone the menu stays there and your cursor just moves to the next item?

Well since it does that and the menu is so very slow if you mash that button a few times you can successfully use an item 2 or 3 times even if you only have 1.... like say... skill books!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The gippers sucked so I had no interest in helping them. The robot commune was awesome so I had all the interest in being friends with them. SO I took that route. Probably the easiest decision I've had to make in the game so far.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    The gippers sucked so I had no interest in helping them. The robot commune was awesome so I had all the interest in being friends with them. SO I took that route. Probably the easiest decision I've had to make in the game so far.

Re: the commune
    I feel very badly about unintentionally making a Slicer Dicer cry.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    I like the game generally, but the bugs and some of the design decisions are making it really hard to keep going. Setting up for combat has got to be my single biggest gripe. So many combats in narrow hallways or doorways, and once combat starts it turns out my animal companions are all up front. I can't move them, I can't walk through them, so the first turn and sometimes even the second is wasted with half my guys stuck out of the fight. Seems pretty ridiculous that my 10 strength melee tank can't step over a goddamn chicken. And then every animal companion has a suicide wish as they just charge in, and then take up every adjacent square so my melee guy can't get there. I did get the animal whisperer 7 perk and there is a positive bug that now my guy has a permanent +50% crit / +2 AP buff cause his pet died.
    Also the guys just casually wandering over mines and tripwires as I'm in the process of disarming and blowing everyone up. And the load times make it even worse to recover from!

Final note: is the sniper 10 perk bugged for xbox for anyone else, or do I just not understand how it works? My sniper crits for 4k plus now (one shotted the scorpitron, lol), but when I sneak attack it just rolls straight into combat where the description says killing someone by sneak attack shouldn't trigger that.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    I love this game but the minute long loading screens are absolutely brutal. Especially when you screw up and hit Quick Load instead of Quick Save so you hurry and go back to loading an Autosave.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    eMoander wrote: »
    I like the game generally, but the bugs and some of the design decisions are making it really hard to keep going. Setting up for combat has got to be my single biggest gripe. So many combats in narrow hallways or doorways, and once combat starts it turns out my animal companions are all up front. I can't move them, I can't walk through them, so the first turn and sometimes even the second is wasted with half my guys stuck out of the fight. Seems pretty ridiculous that my 10 strength melee tank can't step over a goddamn chicken. And then every animal companion has a suicide wish as they just charge in, and then take up every adjacent square so my melee guy can't get there. I did get the animal whisperer 7 perk and there is a positive bug that now my guy has a permanent +50% crit / +2 AP buff cause his pet died.
    Also the guys just casually wandering over mines and tripwires as I'm in the process of disarming and blowing everyone up. And the load times make it even worse to recover from!

Final note: is the sniper 10 perk bugged for xbox for anyone else, or do I just not understand how it works? My sniper crits for 4k plus now (one shotted the scorpitron, lol), but when I sneak attack it just rolls straight into combat where the description says killing someone by sneak attack shouldn't trigger that.

The perk is talking about the Ambush ability (aka when you snipe someone in reaction to their movement on their turn). So if you kill the first guy with that, you can still shoot the next guy who tries to run down the hallway.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

The sniper perk refers to ambushes, ie, over watch. If you over watch your sniper, and they get a kill, they can take another shot. Normally you only get one shot per character.

And yes, I’m waiting for a patch for my second playthrough.

On another topic - any know how to get the achievement to take over from the Patriarch ?

I’ve sided with him, and went against him, but don’t know how to get the achievement for taking over.

Kill the kids then him before the end game ?

• Options

Ambush is overwatch. Sneak attack is not ambush.

I almost never have problems with running over mines et al. When you click something interactable only the character that can interact with it moves forward. So long as you don’t cancel that movement there is almost never running over mines.

Animal companions are... OK even though yes definitely annoying. Like, late game they have so much HP that it barely matters that they’re in front of you unless you shotgun crit them for 3k+. Major Tom ended the game for me with over 5k HP

Main bug for me is that you cannot see through open doors until you walk through. And sometimes this means you cannot throw grenades through them either.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Ah, makes sense (and also way less exciting than I thought it was).

And yeah my chicken was critting for more than my small arms Lucia, so I'm not down on animal companions per se. It's just ridiculous that we can't control their positioning or their AI and that they can block character movement. Like any one of those three things would make it manageable, but nope.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    Hopefully Major Tomcat will be considered a full companion in the next one so we can get abit more control over him.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Major Tomcat in full cover with the mini gun.

Anyway some more combat stuffs

Pistols fall off lategame. (Still OK) Main thing is that they have neither high shots/AP or high dmg/Shot. And so they cannot utilize either of the first two weird science perk. A mini gun as an example, shoots 18 times for 7 AP. And a ripper 10/4. This means that they (with an energy underbarrel) can get 9/7 and 5/4 dmg per armor point per AP. A pistol gets at best 1/3. VS 40 armor a pistol gets + between 10 to 20 dmg (unload weapon ability) per trigger pull. A mini gun gets 360.

Similarly for 1 AP you can overcharge for +30% dmg which is great for a sniper 7/6 cost for 8/6 dmg.

Snipers are OK lategame. If you have a super crit stack they can still be great but generally cleaned up by smgs and shotguns. Main thing is that their DPR is low if they don’t crit. While SMG will always bring the pain.

SMGs not only do loads of dmg and have the ability to utilize the best weird science perk, but they can generate free AP1(1/turn) so long as they have > 1.6 move speed. ARs get free crit which is OK but ARs are pretty lackluster except for one lategame AR

Shotguns however... save up all the +distance chokes and scopes you can find! They go great on flamers too. But shotguns... the rank 8 shotgun ability applies based on all targets hit.... You can have, at max, like 24m range on a shotgun and (while some have bigger cones and are so slightly better for this) this more or less let’s you hit 4-6 enemies per blast. With sneak attack damage like... half the enemies die before you make the second trigger pull. A combat that lasts more than one round is uncommon.

HMG with suppression and Flamers with Engulf have similar synergy with + range. A shotgun/flame/HMG combo can kill everything and whatever it doesn’t kill will have -45% to hit with -.8 move.

Explosives is still king of the early game but once the scoped shotgun comes online it’s pretty unnecessary.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    I recently learned that there's supposed to be an interesting grave near the Hoon homestead but I couldn't find it. Can someone tell me where it is?

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227