Options

Game of Assholes, Season 2! The night is dark and full of spoilers

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Gamey Lannister and the Timekillers?

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    (Book 4/5/6? Spoilers)
    It's just a shame that Brienne might end up lopping Jaime's head off with it.

Seriously, fuck Catelyn forever.

All book spoilers:
    Listen, I like to hate on Catelyn just as much as the next person, but on this issue I can empathize with her.

I mean, look.

The woman has known pretty much nothing but betrayal since the series started. The Lanisters killed her husband. Theon betrayed them and (as far as she knows) killed her two youngest sons. The Freys and Boltons betrayed them and killed (again, in her mind) her only remaining son. Hell, they killed her.

And suddenly here's Brienne, the only person in the Seven Kingdoms who Catelyn trusted to bring back her only remaining children. And what is she doing? Wandering around with a gat damned Lanister sword. With a gat damn lion on the pommel. Let's count our lucky stars no one involved knew the thing was made via melting down Ned's family sword.

How's a hate-fueled zombie obsessed with revenge supposed to react?
    On the other hand, Catelyn has not made a single good decision in the entire series.

So, allow me to reprise the "Fuck Catelyn Forever" sentimetn.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Someone brought Season 1 DVDs into work, and it reminded me
    Series speculation spoiler
    Just how not dead Syrio Forel is
    he's so dead

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    (Book 4/5/6? Spoilers)

All book spoilers:
    Listen, I like to hate on Catelyn just as much as the next person, but on this issue I can empathize with her.

I mean, look.

The woman has known pretty much nothing but betrayal since the series started. The Lanisters killed her husband. Theon betrayed them and (as far as she knows) killed her two youngest sons. The Freys and Boltons betrayed them and killed (again, in her mind) her only remaining son. Hell, they killed her.

And suddenly here's Brienne, the only person in the Seven Kingdoms who Catelyn trusted to bring back her only remaining children. And what is she doing? Wandering around with a gat damned Lanister sword. With a gat damn lion on the pommel. Let's count our lucky stars no one involved knew the thing was made via melting down Ned's family sword.

On the other hand, Catelyn has not made a single good decision in the entire series.

More book spoilers, 2 and 3:
    Yeah, that's true.

I mean, she knew it was probably a bad idea to send Theon back to Pyke. She also kept telling Robb to keep his direwolf around him at a certain wedding.

Goddammit now you have me defending Catelyn WHAT HAVE I BECOME

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

Give over.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Kana wrote: »
    he's so dead
    Book 4 spoilers within, plus more speculation
    I refuse to believe that the last thug in a group of five was able to kill the "First Sword of Braavos". Furthermore, I see no reason that such an esteemed fighter and Braavosi couldn't escape a city that two little girls got out of even though everyone was looking for them. Not buying it!

If he is dead, then GRRM is a fucking imbecile and he has no concept of continuity. Think of how many other people in the series have been supposedly dead only to come back. He brought back Catelyn as a zombie, for fuck's sake. And then there was the whole Drogo being technically "alive" when he should have died because of some witch doctor. There's no way that this guy knocks four dudes unconscious with a wooden fucking sword only to be killed by the fifth. It would make zero sense. Also there's that whole "What do we say to the god of death? Not today!" line.

FURTHERMORE: Syrio fought the first two dudes at once and didn't even get a scratch. Him in a one-on-one fight would have been a cinch. AND in the show, Arya hears metal clanging after she runs down the hall, but no falling wooden handle or dying scream from Syrio.

godmode on
  • Options
    he's so dead
    I refuse to believe that the last thug in a group of five was able to kill the "First Sword of Braavos". Furthermore, I see no reason that such an esteemed fighter and Braavosi couldn't escape a city that two little girls got out of even though everyone was looking for them. Not buying it!

If he is dead, then GRRM is a fucking imbecile and he has no concept of continuity. Think of how many other people in the series have been supposedly dead only to come back. He brought back Catelyn as a zombie, for fuck's sake. And then there was the whole Drogo being technically "alive" when he should have died because of some witch doctor. There's no way that this guy knocks four dudes unconscious with a wooden fucking sword only to be killed by the fifth. It would make zero sense. Also there's that whole "What do we say to the god of death? Not today!" line.
    quote up above contains book spoilers

He wasn't some thug, he was one of the frickin' kingsguard. Who was in full armor against a practice sword. What exactly is Syrio supposed to do about that?

And Syrio's whole thing is that he wasn't TRYING to escape, he was buying time for Arya. That's WHY Arya got out.

Also I have no idea wtf you're talking about with "continuity".

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    he's so dead

he's dead as a doornail

• Options
    he's so dead

He wasn't some thug, he was one of the frickin' kingsguard. Who was in full armor against a practice sword. What exactly is Syrio supposed to do about that?

And Syrio's whole thing is that he wasn't TRYING to escape, he was buying time for Arya. That's WHY Arya got out.

Then how do you explain how 1 guy with a practice sword beat down the other four guys in full armor simultaneously? And I think if the skill of the other Braavosi is any indication, he should've had no problem disguising himself and getting out of dodge after incapacitating Kingsguard guy.

All in all, if he was supposed to be dead, we would have seen it. All the deaths that we're supposed to know about are made perfectly clear in just about every single instance.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    All I'm saying is, I won't believe he's dead until I see a god damn corpse.

And even then, he just might come back, because MAGIC!

Additionally, I would be completely unsurprised if Syrio Forel is revealed as the god of death.

godmode on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    he's so dead

Then how do you explain how 1 guy with a practice sword beat down the other four guys in full armor simultaneously? And I think if the skill of the other Braavosi is any indication, he should've had no problem disguising himself and getting out of dodge after incapacitating Kingsguard guy.

All in all, if he was supposed to be dead, we would have seen it. All the deaths that we're supposed to know about are made perfectly clear in just about every single instance.

Except he didn't disable kingsguard guy, kingsguard guy was quite obviously doing just fine in the throne room not long afterwards.

You seem to be in the denial stage of grief for awesome dancing masters

Kana on
  • Options
    he's so dead

Except he didn't disable kingsguard guy, kingsguard guy was quite obviously doing just fine in the throne room not long afterwards.

You seem to be in the denial stage of grief for awesome dancing masters

He seemed okay in the throne room not long afterwards, but really he had just got up from being knocked unconscious, and he was too embarrassed to admit his defeat and so he covered it up because he was not only beat down by a wooden sword, but he let Arya get away which was the whole reason he was there in the first place.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    (Book 4/5/6? Spoilers)

All book spoilers:

I mean, look.

She warned Robb about Theon and trusting his direwolf among other things, so you're wrong.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    She warned Robb about Theon and trusting his direwolf among other things, so you're wrong.

Thpoilerth...
    Yes, those two suggestions that she made absolutely no attempt to enforce clearly absolve Cat of all the other stupid shit she's has done.

See; pitching her son against an usurper with ten times as many men, letting Robb try to form a new truce with a Frey she didn't trust, demanding Jaime's head after he sends Brienne to save her, etcetera and so forth.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    (Book 4/5/6? Spoilers)

All book spoilers:

I mean, look.

More book spoilers, 2 and 3:
    Yeah, that's true.

I mean, she knew it was probably a bad idea to send Theon back to Pyke. She also kept telling Robb to keep his direwolf around him at a certain wedding.

Goddammit now you have me defending Catelyn WHAT HAVE I BECOME

See above.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Basically, Catelyn is awful, the only Tully that Ned should have tried to wed was the Blackfish.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Thpoilerth...
    Yes, those two suggestions that she made absolutely no attempt to enforce clearly absolve Cat of all the other stupid shit she's has done.

See; pitching her son against an usurper with ten times as many men, letting Robb try to form a new truce with a House she didn't trust, demanding Jaime's head after he sends Brienne to save her, etcetera and so forth.
    Uh, the first one not only isn't her responsibility but was the only course of action Robb could have possibly taken once his father was killed. You don't let that shit slide, even if your chances of winning are slim. Death before dishonor. As far as letting Robb try to form a truce with the Frey's, who could have possibly expected them to do what they did? No one except Grey Wind could have imagined it, and Robb ignored the obvious signs he was giving him. Catelyn did explicitly tell him to always trust the wolf. She's not absolved for decisions like capturing Tyrion or releasing Jaime, but they're highly understandable from the point of view of a grief stricken mother in medieval times.

And as far as demanding Jaime's head, she doesn't know what we know. Ladai was on point with what he said.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    Basically, Catelyn is awful, the only Tully that Ned should have tried to wed was the Blackfish.

PA-i-have-that-DVD.jpg

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular

While that would have been super cool, we wouldn't have gotten any Stark kids

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    he's so dead

I thought the whole thing was that those guys WEREN'T in full armour, exposed throats etc were pretty explicitly mentioned as places that Syrio hit to disable them, while the Kingsguard guy did have full armour, leaving Syrio no openings to attack him from with his dinky wooden sword.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Fyndir wrote: »
    he's so dead

I thought the whole thing was that those guys WEREN'T in full armour, exposed throats etc were pretty explicitly mentioned as places that Syrio hit to disable them, while the Kingsguard guy did have full armour, leaving Syrio no openings to attack him from with his dinky wooden sword.

Aye, it does. Syrio can drop the Lannister jobbers because they have exposed weakness, while Meryn Trant (seriously, that loser?) didn't have any obvious exposed points.

I love Syrio, I think he's an awesome character.
    But there's no reason to think he survived. If he had, then why hasn't he tried to find Arya? As good of a person as he is, I'd have to ask where has been all this time? Good people die, it's a theme of the story.

Comradebot on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    My brother of all people has started getting in to this, and he hates fantasy.

Guess I should start watching.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    dudes we don't KNOW that ned stark is really dead

in my head cannon he is alive and fully ready to fire

also

Game-of-Thrones-Infographic-Houses-Only.png

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    oh my god the representation for Tyrion.

Can't stop laughing.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Catelyn gets a bad rap.
    Spoilered just in case since hinting at book 3
    She did her best, she gave good counsel, and she had an inkling that consorting with the Freys (especially after insulting them) was a bad idea.

Goose! on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »
    he's so dead

Aye, it does. Syrio can drop the Lannister jobbers because they have exposed weakness, while Meryn Trant (seriously, that loser?) didn't have any obvious exposed points.

But there's no reason to think he survived. If he had, then why hasn't he tried to find Arya? As good of a person as he is, I'd have to ask where has been all this time? Good people die, it's a theme of the story.
    What if instead of dying, he was arrested, and thrown in the dungeons?

What if, while he was in the dungeons, he altered his appearance with an old braavosi trick?

What if a braavosi prisoner that looked nothing like Syrio Forel was recruited by Yoren for the Night's Watch?

That braavosi would be in a good position to assist Arya further.

And how else would a Faceless One end up in prison unless he chose to be there?

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    he's so dead

What if, while he was in the dungeons, he altered his appearance with an old braavosi trick?

What if a braavosi prisoner that looked nothing like Syrio Forel was recruited by Yoren for the Night's Watch?

there's really nothing even hinting at this being true aside from fans wanting it to be true

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Rolo wrote: »
    he's so dead

there's really nothing even hinting at this being true aside from fans wanting it to be true
    I'd be inclined to agree, but so far Martin just hasn't been killing major characters "off-camera", so it doesn't make sense that he would have for Syrio. I'd say it's about as valid as the Benjen == Coldhands theory. If Syrio is alive, he'd be in the story somehow, and Jaqen fits perfectly. It also explains why Jaqen was in the dungeon in the first place, and gives better motivation for helping Arya. Also, Syrio was teaching her more than just fencing, stealth training seems more like Faceless One stuff for starters.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    he's so dead

season 2 spoilers
    For one thing, Yoren had already picked up his prisoners before the coup went down. The only reason he stayed after that was because they told him he'd be taking Ned.

For the more important thing, a certain Braavosi prisoner DOESN'T try to protect Arya. He makes a short-term deal with her and then leaves.

And a certain Braavosi doesn't have a face, which means instead of Syrio being a loving and badass teach of Arya, he was only ever there for a job in the first place

Kana on
  • Options
    he's so dead

season 2 spoilers
    For one thing, Yoren had already picked up his prisoners before the coup went down. The only reason he stayed after that was because they told him he'd be taking Ned.

For the more important thing, a certain Braavosi prisoner DOESN'T try to protect Arya. He makes a short-term deal with her and then leaves.

And a certain Braavosi doesn't have a face, which means instead of Syrio being a loving and badass teach of Arya, he was only ever there for a job in the first place
    He was willing to stretch the terms of the deal rather far to help her, and gave her the coin and the passphrase to ensure she was taken care of and trained further.

• Options
    dude

fix that tag

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Spoiler regarding Syrio
    He's dead.

• Options
    Spoiler regarding Syrio
    He's dead.

this works well with your avatar

• Options
    edited April 2012
    he's so dead

season 2 spoilers

He was willing to stretch the terms of the deal rather far to help her, and gave her the coin and the passphrase to ensure she was taken care of and trained further.
    continuing season 2 spoilers, and also seriously dude syrio's dead deal w/ it
    Hey Jaqen, kill yourself

Hmm, suddenly this one is willing to stretch the terms of our contract a bit.

Gosh Jaqen, I'm in the middle of a warzone, I'm all alone except for a couple of friends, I'm trying to reach my family, think you could do anything to help?

Here's a coin, have fun getting abducted like 4 times! Laters!

Kana on
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Thpoilerth...

See; pitching her son against an usurper with ten times as many men, letting Robb try to form a new truce with a House she didn't trust, demanding Jaime's head after he sends Brienne to save her, etcetera and so forth.
    Uh, the first one not only isn't her responsibility but was the only course of action Robb could have possibly taken once his father was killed. You don't let that shit slide, even if your chances of winning are slim. Death before dishonor. As far as letting Robb try to form a truce with the Frey's, who could have possibly expected them to do what they did? No one except Grey Wind could have imagined it, and Robb ignored the obvious signs he was giving him. Catelyn did explicitly tell him to always trust the wolf. She's not absolved for decisions like capturing Tyrion or releasing Jaime, but they're highly understandable from the point of view of a grief stricken mother in medieval times.

And as far as demanding Jaime's head, she doesn't know what we know. Ladai was on point with what he said.
    If Robb had joined forces with Renly, he would have lived. Instead, Cat decided it would be a better idea to antagonize the dude with 100,000 men at his command. Oh, and if Robb had allied with Renly, odds are those men would've accepted his claim to the crown after Stannis killed him, instead of running off to Stannis and Cersei.

And clearly Cat suspected the Freys of being backstabbing fuckholes. But, hey, why should she try to actually do anything about it? It's much easier for her to just whine about how hard it is to be a woman in this man's world.

RE: Jaime and Tyrion, no, there is no excuse for either action. Those were the dumbest fucking things Cat could have done in those situations. Plus, let's not forget how kidnapping Tyrion led to the deaths of her husband's household guard and Ned being crippled.

Oh, and even if she doesn't get Jaime's head, she's still terrible for demanding it in the first place.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    re all this Syrio speculation/CoK spoilers
    Jaqen only "helped" Arya after she saved him from burning alive and then threatened to use her third name on him

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    TL;DR: Catelyn is terrible, the Tullys are largely terrible, everything is terrible.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Spoiler regarding Syrio
    He's dead.
    Also
    not a major character

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Spoiler regarding Syrio
    He's dead.
    Also
    not a major character
    I am Syrio.

I am also dead.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Has it been pointed out that HBO has already ordered a third season yet?

Will cover the first half of the third book.