As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: February part II is done, go to the next thread

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    It's new. IIRC it's a rebranding of their app store, to some degree?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Their last 30 days thing could be better done.
    Installs:
    100,000 - 500,000
    chart?cht=lxy&chd=e:AACIERGZIiKqMzO7RETMVVXdZmbud3f.iIkQmZohqqsyu7xDzM1U3d5l7u92,ERGGH7K-MMOoQdUHVVYYdQj9oOrRuUxX227H7H7H6g4E4r6g887H6g4E223d&chds=0.0,1.0&chs=105x75&chma=1,0,1,1&chco=42b6c9ff&chls=2.5,1.0,0.0&chxl=0:%7C%7C1:%7C%7C2:%7C
    I want more info, damn it.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

Yeah, they did a cheap app promotion a couple of weeks ago to promote it, so I guess the 'Play' tab appeared since then. Also appearing since then, my new phone, meaning I missed out on a bunch of cheap games :(

forumsig.png
  • Options
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/27/sony-pulls-two-psp-games-from-psn-to-prevent-vita-hack/
    Sony has pulled two PSP titles from the PlayStation Network, reportedly over concerns that they can be used in Vita exploits. Hot Shots Tennis (called Everybody's Tennis in Europe) and MotorStorm Arctic Rift are no longer available for download from any device that connects to the PlayStation Store.

The hack in question allows users to run unsigned code on the Vita in "PSP mode," enabling homebrew programming using the system's PSP emulation. In other words, it's possible to run stuff on the Vita with an exploit, but nothing that uses the full processing power of the system.

We're optimistically hoping that Sony is looking into a patch for the exploit, so that it can resume selling those games. Making two games unavailable is a pretty terrible permanent solution.

Via: Edge
    OK. That is kind of unusual.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/out-with-the-old-in-with-the-gog/093434
    Popular games download service GOG.com has enjoyed a relaunch of sorts with its focus no longer on simply “good old games”.

Instead, the portal will now offer a mixture of old and new titles, though it stays true to its established principle of only selling titles without DRM.

“Newer means simply newer games, whether they’re big, recognized names, indie games, day-one releases, or pre-orders,” the site says. “We have more than 20 great indie and newer games signed on GOG.com that will be showing up in the next few months.

“These games lead the way on our the transition from Good Old Games to simply GOG.com. It doesn’t matter what G, O, and G stand for, Gee Oh Gee dot com stands for high-quality, DRM-free gaming, each week with bigger and newer games.”

“Don’t worry, no matter how new we’re getting, GOG.com will always stick to our three core values: No DRM, Fair Pricing, and Love for our GOG-ers. “

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »

Yeah, they did a cheap app promotion a couple of weeks ago to promote it, so I guess the 'Play' tab appeared since then. Also appearing since then, my new phone, meaning I missed out on a bunch of cheap games :(

Right. Also under the "Play" banner are Google's music, book, movie and other media offerings. Essentially, they're trying to better compete with iTunes and remind people they sell stuff other than apps. I suspect it's also to make themselves stand out against all the other specialized app markets on Android, such as Amazon's app store, Sony's app store, and many others. At this point "Android App Store" sounds generic.

Rovio's purchase: well, it's not exactly like they're hurting for money. Keep in mind they also bought Kombo Animation Studio last year too. They really are aiming for empire status. At any rate, Kombo made the Angry Birds Space cartoon, which actually looks great despite a near-total lack of plot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc-XlVLHJDo

Removing two PSP games because of potential Vita exploits? Ah, good ole heavy-handed Sony.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Sony getting his with software exploits doesn't surprise me at all. Many of the folks looking for exploits are doing it simply for emulation purposes. You'd think Nintendo and Sony would have tried more aggressively to get a great classic gaming library into their online shops.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Couscous wrote: »

What's worse is that not only can you not buy them anymore, but they don't show up in the download history of folks that bought 'em.

If my memory stick ever dies for whatever reason, there's a game I won't ever be able to download again, even though I legally bought it.

Motorstorm is really good, too.

And I really wanted that tennis game. I was planning on buying the Hot Shots Golf/Tennis 2-pack soon...

Guess I'll have to buy UMDs if I really want to play it, but then I can't play it on my Go.

Motherfuck, Sony.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options

What's worse is that not only can you not buy them anymore, but they don't show up in the download history of folks that bought 'em.

Honestly? Geez. They really didn't think that move through.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, they removed the game because of Wololo:
    Dear Sony, it has come to my attention that one of the PSP games available on the playstation Vita has a vulnerability that could lead to the execution of external code by some malicious users. Therefore I am writing this blog post so that you can patch the game or remove it from the PSN store as soon as possible. Preferably, I suggest you take the money from your clients first, and prevent them from downloading the game afterwards, just like you did with Motorstorm Arctic Edge, 3 weeks ago. This way it will be a win-win situation for you, and you can always blame it on the hackers later on.

As a matter of fact, I have discovered that some “hackers” (I prefer to call them terrorists) have already prepared a tool wich, using this vulnerability, could allow people to run software that would be extremely dangerous for your business, such as 20 year-old 8 bit games and 154 different versions of pong.

I think this puts your business at risk, and I’ve tried to stop those vilains by all means necessary, but sadly it seems they are not breaking any law. Hopefully, giving you the name of the game will help you to take some efficient action. Those people are clearly wrong in their mind to try to play crappy open source software, when they could enjoy a great game such as Ridge Racer for less than 10$ a track, (which is clearly not a ripoff compared to the price one would have to pay in the real world to drive cars that completely defy the laws of physics. Although on that subject I woud like if you could help me, as my version of the game seems to be blocked in “demo mode” for some reason. All the 5 cars have exactly the same specs, so surely there’s something I’ve done wrong somewhere.)

I digress. The name of the game is Everybody’s Tennis. It is also known as Minna no tennis in Japan. Thankfully the game is not available on the US Vita store, so this should limit the problems on your end. I heard however that these hackers have prepared a US version of the hack just in case that version is being sold somewhere such as the HK store. I also heard people can buy the UK version from the US if they buy some PSN cards from resellers on ebay and other sites. If I may give some advice, I think this is not secure enough. True, you did a good job in preventing people from buying games outside of the country they live in (and being a French living in Japan, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the fact that I can’t buy any game on the French PSN, this is exactly how globalization should work, and it helps me sparing lots of money by not buying any game), but I think in order to avoid future hacks, you should simply prevent everyone from buying games on the PSN, which will guarantee you a complete control of the market.

The hackers also announced they would release their hack a few hours or days after they announce the name of the game being used. They claim this only allows people to run “homebrew” games and that in no way it allows people to play pirated PSP or vita games, but I think this is not an excuse to hack.

I realize it is saturday evening for your teams in Europe, and Sunday morning in Japan. I hope you will not have to wake some people in the middle of the night just to take action, I would have chosen a better time, but I myself have very little time to blog outside of weekends.

Hoping that working together we will be able to stop hackers. I seem to be one of the few people on Earth who understand that the real enemies of the Vita are not your poor marketing techniques, the terrible software such as the “back to the 90′s” netfront browser, the bad launch lineup, the delays on the playstation suite, the recent downgrade from 5 to 2 allowed copies of any given psn game, and the increasing competition of smartphones that all have better CPUs than the Vita. No, the real enemies are those people playing Lamecraft, who are clearly killing the videogame market, so let’s destroy them together.

Please pay extra attention to the dev known as wth, who apparently is behind this whole thing, as well as Teck4 who apparently helped him for the Japanese version of the hack. I also heard that somes guys named mamosuke and msparky83 were involved in the testing. It would be good if you have a way to maybe track these guys’ phones or something. Or maybe you can simply sue them, I heard it’s something you do very well.

Yours truly, W. Ololo

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Honestly? Geez. They really didn't think that move through.

It's really soured me on Sony as a whole. What little interest I had in the Vita is completely gone. How can I trust them to let me keep the games that I would buy digitally for the thing when I can't redownload PSP games for my Go?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Christ. From the review of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13:
    Equipping pins before each hole gives golfers temporary attribute enhancements, such as better accuracy, an XP multiplier, or more shot previews. Pins work on a use-it-and-lose-it system, which maintains balance. They're used for getting an occasional edge, not for exploit. However, Coins can refill used pins, or buy new ones. Spending Coins on Pins means less money for new golfers and courses, though.

Coins unlock slowly in the context of item price, which is where EA aims to lure players toward its downloadable add-on content. The publisher learned from Tiger Woods 12 that locking courses behind a pay-to-play gate was a mistake, so Tiger 13 tries to meet the audience in the middle. Coins earn players access to new courses, so playing Tiger Woods 13 as normal rewards players with extra content without having to spend real-world money. Even better, completing challenges unlocks courses permanently.

This is the pitch, anyway. The reality is that EA's new system is a disgusting, well-disguised sham that makes past DLC traps look like charity.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 restricts access to 20 of its 36 courses. Players can rent one round on a locked course for 6000 Coins, the earnings of about 10 rounds at 18 holes, each of which takes about 20 minutes. For those who can't spend the inordinate amount of time required to borrow one round of golf, EA presents the option to pay for Coins. Rather than selling the audience iconic places like Banff Springs, it's made it more expensive than ever – and it's temporary.

Completing "Gold Mastery" tasks is the only way to open a course forever. The challenges are not only extremely difficult and time consuming -- sinking five Eagles, hitting the green in regulation 80 times, etc. -- but must be completed on each course players hope to own. Tiger 13 golfers need to pay dozens if their hours and/or dollars to spend additional time to possibly access a course indefinitely.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1221576p1.html

This kind of stuff wouldn't be so bad if the game was free-to-play, but in a game you're already paying $60 for? That's a bit much.

• Options
    Equipping pins before each hole gives golfers temporary attribute enhancements, such as better accuracy, an XP multiplier, or more shot previews. Pins work on a use-it-and-lose-it system, which maintains balance. They're used for getting an occasional edge, not for exploit. However, Coins can refill used pins, or buy new ones. Spending Coins on Pins means less money for new golfers and courses, though.

Coins unlock slowly in the context of item price, which is where EA aims to lure players toward its downloadable add-on content. The publisher learned from Tiger Woods 12 that locking courses behind a pay-to-play gate was a mistake, so Tiger 13 tries to meet the audience in the middle. Coins earn players access to new courses, so playing Tiger Woods 13 as normal rewards players with extra content without having to spend real-world money. Even better, completing challenges unlocks courses permanently.

This is the pitch, anyway. The reality is that EA's new system is a disgusting, well-disguised sham that makes past DLC traps look like charity.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 restricts access to 20 of its 36 courses. Players can rent one round on a locked course for 6000 Coins, the earnings of about 10 rounds at 18 holes, each of which takes about 20 minutes. For those who can't spend the inordinate amount of time required to borrow one round of golf, EA presents the option to pay for Coins. Rather than selling the audience iconic places like Banff Springs, it's made it more expensive than ever – and it's temporary.

Completing "Gold Mastery" tasks is the only way to open a course forever. The challenges are not only extremely difficult and time consuming -- sinking five Eagles, hitting the green in regulation 80 times, etc. -- but must be completed on each course players hope to own. Tiger 13 golfers need to pay dozens if their hours and/or dollars to spend additional time to possibly access a course indefinitely.

This kind of stuff wouldn't be so bad if the game was free-to-play, but in a game you're already paying $60 for? That's a bit much.

As a fully paid-up card carrier for the EA defence force, I can state that this is completely and utterly absurd. Seriously. If anyone at all wants to jump on a video game crusade, this should probably be it. I'd still like to hear their justification for this, but right now, it's looking pretty sickening and I'd be livid if I'd bought this and discovered that.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular

Wow. EA somehow did something worse than on disk DLC. They set up a $60 and more to play.

But of course that is their right since we don't own the content. They aren't being geese. They just want to make sure their developers are properly compensated.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    And people were griping about on disk dlc....this, this might be the future of gaming. D:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    On top of that, the game eliminates pre-set shot types and shot meters entirely in favor of a new mechanic for swinging that's entirely dependent on extremely precise control stick movement -- and then doesn't explain how to use the thing at all.

The new Tiger Woods game may be pure rage on a disk.

• Options
    LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    Oh dear... Now we're getting a F2P model on a $60 game. This needs to bomb hard, or this might become a common tactic.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular

Wow. EA somehow did something worse than on disk DLC. They set up a $60 and more to play.

But of course that is their right since we don't own the content. They aren't being geese. They just want to make sure their developers are properly compensated.

And they don't mind if their customers get proper fucked.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dear god, what the hell did I just read. I picked a good time to start PC gaming.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    And people were griping about on disk dlc....this, this might be the future of gaming. D:

Okay, it wasn't on-disc DLC. It wasn't. It really wasn't. Some of the content that was already made was on the disc, the rest that still had to be finished wasn't. On-disc DLC implies that it was ready and made on the same budget as the rest of the game and the only thing you downloaded was an unlock key, but the actual download was a 600mb file, it was not a 600mb download key. This stops now, if we're going to discuss things it will be rationally and with facts, not misinformation.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I don't understand. Games have always had unlockable courses. Why is this any different? Are you pissed that you have to race through all the tracks in Mario Kart to unlock the others?

• Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Okay, it wasn't on-disc DLC. It wasn't. It really wasn't. Some of the content that was already made was on the disc, the rest that still had to be finished wasn't. On-disc DLC implies that it was ready and made on the same budget as the rest of the game and the only thing you downloaded was an unlock key, but the actual download was a 600mb file, it was not a 600mb download key. This stops now, if we're going to discuss things it will be rationally and with facts, not misinformation.

For Mass Effect 3 yes. For the Street Fighter game where Capcom already has the fighters on disk, no.

AZChristopher on
  • Options

You're talking about MvC? The one where hackers were playing as the characters before the DLC was released?

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I don't understand. Games have always had unlockable courses. Why is this any different? Are you pissed that you have to race through all the tracks in Mario Kart to unlock the others?

I would guess that the ire comes not from 'unlockable courses', but that the process to unlock the courses seems either deliberately difficult, or something you can pay for. This obviously presents a pretty huge incentive to just pay for things, where people might otherwise normally try to unlock them through play. Basically it feels unfair, with the sole purpose being to draw more money from an already-paying customer.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Fuck you EA. Fuck you in the goddamn ass with a rusty steel pipe.

• Options

You're talking about MvC? The one where hackers were playing as the characters before the DLC was released?

I'm talking about Mass Effect. MvC? Yeah that was pretty bad.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Is it infinitely more difficult to make an Eagle now in Tiger Woods? You used to be able to pick those games up and shoot a -22 with hardly any skill at all.

I was excited about this version just because it was a real golf game with Kinect controls but the demo turned me off. To swing a club it seems like you can't even face the screen the proper way (as in, TOWARDS the screen swinging INTO the display, ala Kinect Sports Season 2 golf), you have to stand perpendicular to the screen as if you're swinging directly to the left of your display. Fucking bizarre.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

This is how I was seeing it as well - if you removed the option to buy the courses early it would be more like the courses were unlockable and to get them fully unlocked you had to be really good. I would equate it to Madden saying "From now on to play the superbowl you have to truly earn your way there in a season setting".

With that said, for a game like Tiger it really hurts the casual gamers like me who just use golf games as a break between more intense games. I bought Tiger Woods 2010 last week cheap for that exact reason (and because Hot Shots Golf PS3 is stupidly hard to find at retail.)

• Options
    edited March 2012

Because you have to play for over three hours on other courses to earn the right to play an unlocked course once, and to unlock it permanently, you have to complete many exceedingly difficult tasks that sound like you have to play them dozens of times (grinding the other courses for over three hours for each attempt, of course). And there's 16 courses you have to unlock this way.

Or you can skip all the grinding by paying coins.

Yeah, unlocking them "naturally" sounds ludicrously difficult.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    This is actually an improvement over the last Tiger Woods game where you had to pay to unlock with no other way of unlocking them. This is probably a reaction to that. Of course, this shit is obviously designed to be tedious and unfun enough to get people to pay for them anyway. Just like free to play shit.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    It doesn't even sound like you need to be GOOD though, just persistent. 20 minutes per 18 holes x 10 = 200, so 3 hours 20 minutes worth of play just to RENT a course to play it once.

Allforce on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular

I'll let you unlock my response if you give me 10 dollars, but you can only view it temporarily.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    And I'm sure there are a lot of other things to spend those coins on too...clothes, clubs...

Actually though, restricting 20 of its 36 courses...16 courses is still a lot. I remember when golf games had 5 courses and we enjoyed it. I bet you could log dozens of hours into what they give you in the base game and be satisfied, and by the time you're looking into unlocking the rest, the next yearly iteration will be out.

• Options
    ...well, this rumor's certainly on the wacky side:
    Microsoft will have new hardware for gamers next year, but it won't be a next-generation console, according to noted anonymous Microsoft blogger MS Nerd. The information hound wrote on Reddit that Microsoft will ship a stripped-down Xbox in late 2013.

The blogger further posits that the ARM-powered console will focus on "Arcade-style games" and Kinect applications. The technology will be "price-competitive" with Apple TV, which currently retails for $100.

MS Nerd further suggests that the "true successor" to the Xbox 360 will ship sometime after, with the next revision of Kinect due around 2015.

A Microsoft representative issued GameSpot the following statement:

"Xbox 360 has found new ways to extend its lifecycle like introducing the world to controller-free experiences with Kinect and re-inventing the console with a new dashboard and new entertainment content partnerships. We are always thinking about what is next for our platform and how to continue to defy the lifecycle convention. Beyond that we do not comment on rumors or speculation."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/stripped-down-xbox-due-in-late-2013-report-6368209

Would this actually be a less-powerful 360 that could only run Kinect and Live stuff, or is someone just getting a little too excited over another slim remodel?

• Options
    I remember when golf games had 5 courses and we enjoyed it.
    OLD MAN

• Options
    OLD MAN

I remember when we had one course!

4QZmw.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2012
    ...well, this rumor's certainly on the wacky side:
    Microsoft will have new hardware for gamers next year, but it won't be a next-generation console, according to noted anonymous Microsoft blogger MS Nerd. The information hound wrote on Reddit that Microsoft will ship a stripped-down Xbox in late 2013.

The blogger further posits that the ARM-powered console will focus on "Arcade-style games" and Kinect applications. The technology will be "price-competitive" with Apple TV, which currently retails for $100.

MS Nerd further suggests that the "true successor" to the Xbox 360 will ship sometime after, with the next revision of Kinect due around 2015.

A Microsoft representative issued GameSpot the following statement:

"Xbox 360 has found new ways to extend its lifecycle like introducing the world to controller-free experiences with Kinect and re-inventing the console with a new dashboard and new entertainment content partnerships. We are always thinking about what is next for our platform and how to continue to defy the lifecycle convention. Beyond that we do not comment on rumors or speculation."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/stripped-down-xbox-due-in-late-2013-report-6368209

Would this actually be a less-powerful 360 that could only run Kinect and Live stuff, or is someone just getting a little too excited over another slim remodel?

As was pointed out in another article I read about it, it would dovetail nicely with the "disc-less Xbox" rumour that was going around. I reckon this one is a solid. Completely mental, but solid.
    OLD MAN

RUNNING THE WORLD.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Couldn't you just download full retail titles on the thing too? I don't know how they'd make the thing run Kinect Sports or Trials HD but not say, Halo Reach without just making an entirely new console with different guts.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Because you have to play for over three hours on other courses to earn the right to play an unlocked course once, and to unlock it permanently, you have to complete many exceedingly difficult tasks that sound like you have to play them dozens of times (grinding the other courses for over three hours for each attempt, of course). And there's 16 courses you have to unlock this way.

Or you can skip all the grinding by paying coins.

Yeah, unlocking them "naturally" sounds ludicrously difficult.

According to the IGN review and the part you yourself quoted, you can't even simply buy the courses. You have to complete a series of grindy tasks on each course to unlock it permanently and paying to play on it just makes it a bit easier to do, since you'll have to play the same course many times over to finish the objectives to unlock it.

You can't even pay to skip the grind, only about 60% of it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh dear... Now we're getting a F2P model on a $60 game. This needs to bomb hard, or this might become a common tactic.

Oh it'll probably bomb... here, on this game.

The question is what people will do when this model is attached to a major killer app that's been majorly hyped and everyone was craving for. Personally, I pretty much already have my own suspicion on what the answer to that one is going to be.

subedii on
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Forget the farming simulator. Street cleaning is where it's at*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BXoMAcTqI8&feature=youtu.be
    *Your mileage may vary

This discussion has been closed.