As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: February part II is done, go to the next thread

• Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    I loved the way DQIX did grinding before the post game. There was always new side quest to do so you never just had to walk around in an area and just level up like that. It was a JRPG with Wester RPG side quest. In fact more games just need to copy DQIX.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I don't play online, but I think I'd find it very discouraging to play well only to lose against someone who bought a bunch of boosts like that.

It sounds a lot like EA studied the core audience and decided that golf fanatics already play the same courses over and over again so they would be the best group to try this with. Realistically is this that much more brutal to unlock stuff than some fighting games having weird, obscure methods like perfect victories or not continuing?

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I think this just illustrates that there's a good way and a bad way to do in-game currency you can buy with real money. The good way is to offer it as an option to those who are impatient or willing to pay for an advantage, while those who play the game normally can get the same stuff with some time and effort. The bad way is to make the "free" way to unlock the stuff such a colossal pain in the ass that it makes ponying up the money seem like the only sane option. With at least a dozen hours of grinding per course for 16 courses, this game definitely seems like the latter.

It's weird -- EA seems to have games that do in-game currency really well and some horribly. I mean, Mass Effect Infiltrator lets you shell out varying amounts of money to give you an advantage, but I didn't and I managed to get to the end with the thing still seeming like an acceptably difficult, non-grindy game. I didn't mind the existence of the pay option one bit. And then there's this, which nigh-on forces you to pay. You'd think that they'd have some company-wide guidelines by now.

Completely different audiences here. Sports fans (especially golf, which is already a ridiculously time and money intensive sport) are going to be less resistant to these business tactics than rpg fans playing Mass Effect.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    I think this just illustrates that there's a good way and a bad way to do in-game currency you can buy with real money. The good way is to offer it as an option to those who are impatient or willing to pay for an advantage, while those who play the game normally can get the same stuff with some time and effort. The bad way is to make the "free" way to unlock the stuff such a colossal pain in the ass that it makes ponying up the money seem like the only sane option. With at least a dozen hours of grinding per course for 16 courses, this game definitely seems like the latter.

It's weird -- EA seems to have games that do in-game currency really well and some horribly. I mean, Mass Effect Infiltrator lets you shell out varying amounts of money to give you an advantage, but I didn't and I managed to get to the end with the thing still seeming like an acceptably difficult, non-grindy game. I didn't mind the existence of the pay option one bit. And then there's this, which nigh-on forces you to pay. You'd think that they'd have some company-wide guidelines by now.

Completely different audiences here. Sports fans (especially golf, which is already a ridiculously time and money intensive sport) are going to be less resistant to these business tactics than rpg fans playing Mass Effect.

You know, that's a good point. Didn't the latest Madden come with some sort of $200 online pass option, and didn't a surprisingly large amount of people buy it? And then there's the fact that a fair number of sports fans will pay a fair amount of money (interesting, they also tend to be around $200) for season pass TV packages.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I don't play online, but I think I'd find it very discouraging to play well only to lose against someone who bought a bunch of boosts like that.

It sounds a lot like EA studied the core audience and decided that golf fanatics already play the same courses over and over again so they would be the best group to try this with. Realistically is this that much more brutal to unlock stuff than some fighting games having weird, obscure methods like perfect victories or not continuing?

I don't think fighting games still do that, at least not for core gameplay stuff. Seems like the standard nowadays is to have the roster unlocked from the start.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    And people were griping about on disk dlc....this, this might be the future of gaming. D:

Okay, it wasn't on-disc DLC. It wasn't. It really wasn't. Some of the content that was already made was on the disc, the rest that still had to be finished wasn't. On-disc DLC implies that it was ready and made on the same budget as the rest of the game and the only thing you downloaded was an unlock key, but the actual download was a 600mb file, it was not a 600mb download key. This stops now, if we're going to discuss things it will be rationally and with facts, not misinformation.

You're talking about MvC? The one where hackers were playing as the characters before the DLC was released?

I'm talking about Mass Effect. MvC? Yeah that was pretty bad.

Heh, I was talking about MvC, not Mass Effect. I don't care for the franchise, so I blocked out the page after page worth of conversation the game had. Was dlc griping a thing for that also?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options

You know, that's a good point. Didn't the latest Madden come with some sort of $200 online pass option, and didn't a surprisingly large amount of people buy it? And then there's the fact that a fair number of sports fans will pay a fair amount of money (interesting, they also tend to be around $200) for season pass TV packages.

Yeah the Madden and FIFA "ultimate team" card games that are built in now are huge profits for EA. And it's all digital content.

• Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    And people were griping about on disk dlc....this, this might be the future of gaming. D:

Okay, it wasn't on-disc DLC. It wasn't. It really wasn't. Some of the content that was already made was on the disc, the rest that still had to be finished wasn't. On-disc DLC implies that it was ready and made on the same budget as the rest of the game and the only thing you downloaded was an unlock key, but the actual download was a 600mb file, it was not a 600mb download key. This stops now, if we're going to discuss things it will be rationally and with facts, not misinformation.

You're talking about MvC? The one where hackers were playing as the characters before the DLC was released?

Heh, I was talking about MvC, not Mass Effect. I don't care for the franchise, so I blocked out the page after page worth of conversation the game had. Was dlc griping a thing for that also?

Until people got to the end of the game...

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Yep. Though in that case, it was definitely unfinished content on the disk.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Algertman wrote: »
    I loved the way DQIX did grinding before the post game. There was always new side quest to do so you never just had to walk around in an area and just level up like that. It was a JRPG with Wester RPG side quest. In fact more games just need to copy DQIX.

I... I don't even know where you get the idea that sidequests have anything to do with western vs eastern RPGs. Jrpgs have had sidequests since.. like, forever, too.

Also, play Graces F on PS3, apparently you can buy level ups!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The prevalence of 'grind or pay' mechanics on the iOS app store has all but driven me away from it, so I hope this fails miserably for EA. It might be a good business strategy, but it's fucking awful game design.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Curious now actually. One of the more annoying thing to me about old school JRPGs is the grinding. If I was given an option, a button press away, to pay $10 to level up 10 times, I wonder if I would resist the urge.

It is easy to resist with the iOS games that have no story. But $10 to skip hours of grinding...

You could always spend -$60 and skip the grinding all together.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular

I don't think fighting games still do that, at least not for core gameplay stuff. Seems like the standard nowadays is to have the roster unlocked from the start.

Most fighting games that I've played had it so you simply unlocked new fighters when you beat the game in single player with the characters from the starting roster. The Smash Bros games had some more hidden methods, but there were always multiple ways to unlock content too for the most part. Especially with the Subspace Emissary mode unlocking nearly everyone in Brawl.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular

From what I understand it wasn't that bad of a deal I'd you buy all the EA sports games. It was between $75 and $100 I believe,(maybe less) gave you discounts on the DLC, but the thing that got people to buy it was you were able to DL the full game 5 days (?) before retail release. On release day, it stopped working, but your saves carried over. So you got a free rental of every EA sports game for 5 days.

Not a great deal, but not bad for sports games die hards.

This tiger wood stuff is pretty bad IMO.

Oh, and I think you guys are confusing MvC with SFxTekken. That's the one with 12 DLC on disk, fully complete and being played by hackers, but not coming out until sept and at $2 a pop (I believe)

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    ...well, this rumor's certainly on the wacky side:
    Microsoft will have new hardware for gamers next year, but it won't be a next-generation console, according to noted anonymous Microsoft blogger MS Nerd. The information hound wrote on Reddit that Microsoft will ship a stripped-down Xbox in late 2013.

The blogger further posits that the ARM-powered console will focus on "Arcade-style games" and Kinect applications. The technology will be "price-competitive" with Apple TV, which currently retails for $100.

MS Nerd further suggests that the "true successor" to the Xbox 360 will ship sometime after, with the next revision of Kinect due around 2015.

A Microsoft representative issued GameSpot the following statement:

"Xbox 360 has found new ways to extend its lifecycle like introducing the world to controller-free experiences with Kinect and re-inventing the console with a new dashboard and new entertainment content partnerships. We are always thinking about what is next for our platform and how to continue to defy the lifecycle convention. Beyond that we do not comment on rumors or speculation."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/stripped-down-xbox-due-in-late-2013-report-6368209

Would this actually be a less-powerful 360 that could only run Kinect and Live stuff, or is someone just getting a little too excited over another slim remodel?

Well it would gel nicely along the rumors from a year or so ago about them launching a stop-gap Kinect-only console before launching their true Xbox 360 successor.

To me, however, that sounds an awful lot like the Sega Neptune.

Something tells me you see the entire world in terms of Sega and Sonic products. ;)

Well it certainly doesn't compare to successful add-ons like the PC Engine Duo.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »

From what I understand it wasn't that bad of a deal I'd you buy all the EA sports games. It was between $75 and $100 I believe,(maybe less) gave you discounts on the DLC, but the thing that got people to buy it was you were able to DL the full game 5 days (?) before retail release. On release day, it stopped working, but your saves carried over. So you got a free rental of every EA sports game for 5 days.

Not a great deal, but not bad for sports games die hards.

This tiger wood stuff is pretty bad IMO.

Oh, and I think you guys are confusing MvC with SFxTekken. That's the one with 12 DLC on disk, fully complete and being played by hackers, but not coming out until sept and at $2 a pop (I believe)

Ack, that's the one. I think the SFXT fiasco is on equal footing with this stupid EA Tiger 13 deal. Both are horrible ways of doing business, but as someone said earlier, this is the direction our hobby is going.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    People are beginning to interact with games more like escorts now.

"Okay so what do I get up front? Uh huh, and how much do those extras you mention cost? Wait, you mean to tell me that for the full experience I wanted its whaaaa?!?"

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Curious now actually. One of the more annoying thing to me about old school JRPGs is the grinding. If I was given an option, a button press away, to pay $10 to level up 10 times, I wonder if I would resist the urge.

It is easy to resist with the iOS games that have no story. But $10 to skip hours of grinding...

Well, there's one way to find out

Go play Tales of Vesperia or Tales of Graces F

• Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

You could always spend -$60 and skip the grinding all together.

Funny enough that is basically what I do.

• Options

The extra characters in Street Fighter IV (first release of the game at least) were pretty brutal and that wasn't too long ago. Those were the ones that immediately came to mind - along with trying to get all the costumes in things like Street Fighter or the recent MK game - lots of grinding.

I think if it weren't for the purchasing of boosts to help with online I might not be so down on this model actually. I mean, it is a golf sim and you want some semblance of a career to unlock the more desirable courses. In a way, RPG elements make sense as your golfer grows in ability and standings and having to grind a bit to get to the peak courses does make sense.

I think I would have lightened up on the requirements a bit - sounds a touch too time consuming for most gamers.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Eh, all this sounds like is the world's most fucking retarded unlock system, with the added bitterness that there's a small backdoor available through your credit card. Possibly intentionally designed to make said backdoor look more attractive? Maybe.

Can't say I'm too broken up about it though. But I don't know. Is the Tiger Woods series important or anything? I always got the impression that, while it makes its money, nobody really gives two shits about it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Eh, all this sounds like is the world's most fucking retarded unlock system, with the added bitterness that there's a small backdoor available through your credit card. Possibly intentionally designed to make said backdoor look more attractive? Maybe.

Can't say I'm too broken up about it though. But I don't know. Is the Tiger Woods series important or anything? I always got the impression that, while it makes its money, nobody really gives two shits about it.

And that's exactly why they're starting there. It's a money maker but not a headlines maker.

If it shows them that hey, it's working (making $$$), you will see it in Madden etc.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Well, in theory, this thread is more about the making money part than people giving a shit.

In theory.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

A scheme like this though is too risky to try on a major series. If it works to EAs satisfaction on Tiger Woods, it will start creeping into their other products.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    Holy fuck Microsoft is the absolute sketchiest, shadiest, most fucked up company in the world. I'm trying to cancel my Live subscription and remove my credit card from their system. Neither is going easily. They make everything so fucking convoluted and their site is so shitty that I am losing my mind with this shit.

To tie that into the current topic I have no problem believing that in a market with Microsoft as a dominant player, companies will fuck customers as hard as they can as frequently as they can.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Holy fuck Microsoft is the absolute sketchiest, shadiest, most fucked up company in the world. I'm trying to cancel my Live subscription and remove my credit card from their system. Neither is going easily. They make everything so fucking convoluted and their site is so shitty that I am losing my mind with this shit.

To tie that into the current topic I have no problem believing that in a market with Microsoft as a dominant player, companies will fuck customers as hard as they can as frequently as they can.

I had them suspend my live account because I had an old credit card on file that they repeatedly tried to autorenew on. It took multiple phone calls just to get them to remove that card, cancel the attempts and unban my login/lower my service to Silver. It almost cost me as a customer (later shenanigans on their part sealed the deal). They are extremely anti-consumer.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

https://billing.microsoft.com/home.aspx

Go there to remove the cards. But in Microsoft's defence, they recently re-added "cancel auto-renew" to their main xbox site, under your profile when you log in. You'd think that would always be there, right?

No.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular

Yeah I was pretty pleased when they put an option to cancel auto renew on their site for UK customers.

But then I tried to do it over the course of 2 months, both on my home PC, phone, work PC and girlfriends PC with different browsers and it always encountered a mysterious error when confirming the final step.

It's seriously shitty.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I shared this in another thread - but Microsoft recently banned my console because I was dumb enough to buy sketchy points from a hong kong wholesaler.

They handled it by:
    Banning my console with no email to me
    Not being able to tell me why it was banned over the phone
    Promising they wouldn't renew my gold while I was banned
    Forcing me to register on a public forum to ask why I was banned and beg for forgiveness
    Not answering me (ever, it's been 2 weeks now)
    Emailing me to tell me my autorenewel was coming up
    Forcing me to call back to cancel the autonew
    Trying to apologize by offering me cheaper gold service if I replaced my banned console

I handled it by:
    Buying a PS3 and getting rid of my 360

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I just called and told them to take it off. It took all of five minutes on the phone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    I signed up for XBL last year when they offered Halo Reach for free. I never received my game.

My card was lost since then, and thus canceled. It's the only card on file for them, and they keep sending me emails begging for my new card number so they can auto-renew. Fuck off microsoft, you aint getting my new card. I can, and have, lived without XBLA before.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Two minutes tops to remove all six of the cards they had listed through the website. Maybe a week after they went live with the service.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I have an expired card on my Xbox Live account, and I'm unable to get rid of it. (I don't really care that much since it's both expired and no longer a viable card number (thanks Sony!)) but it'd be nice to clean things up a bit. I looked over that website and I'm not getting an option to remove the bad card: just add new cards, which I ain't doing anymore (prepaid cards all the way now)

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    There is no way in hell I get the nextbox if they charge for online multiplayer again.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Seriously though, am I just being blind her? I see no option anywhere on that billing page to remove a card. I can add or modify cards, but I can't remove the one card I have on that account.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    If you're a gold member, I think they require you to have at least one card on record.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    There is no way in hell I get the nextbox if they charge for online multiplayer again.

I highly doubt they'll stop charging, but even if they do you know they'll treat it like an amazing new feature.

"Look at all our amazing ads and network features that are a bit like Steam but worse! All for free!"

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Seriously though, am I just being blind her? I see no option anywhere on that billing page to remove a card. I can add or modify cards, but I can't remove the one card I have on that account.

XboxCredit.jpg

On Xbox.com, click on "My Account" in the upper right.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Even if I'm gold through a prepaid card? And even though the card is expired and CAN'T BE USED FOR ANYTHING ANYWAY.

Nice, Microsoft.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I have an expired card on my Xbox Live account, and I'm unable to get rid of it. (I don't really care that much since it's both expired and no longer a viable card number (thanks Sony!)) but it'd be nice to clean things up a bit. I looked over that website and I'm not getting an option to remove the bad card: just add new cards, which I ain't doing anymore (prepaid cards all the way now)

I'm in the same boat, my card expired in like 2007 and its still on there. No way to remove it on the microsoft.billing.com site mentioned above, no way to remove it over the phone, but it won't auto-renew so I just use prepaid cards now.

I managed to turn off auto-renew a few months back by changing my address to Illinois, based on someone here pointing out that loophole.

It's a mess but what are you gonna do? You can't NOT have Live, it's like a home phone or cable at this point. Completely and utterly necessary to live in the modern age.

This discussion has been closed.