Options

Korra's out! Now we wait.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    you block one end and leave the other end open and you put some rocks or shit in there

gun

that's a cannon

which is the concept that eventually becomes a musket/blunderbuss/etc which refines down and down

I'm not saying they should I'm just saying they could

right, I'm just saying that the natural evolution of a handheld gun in this world would be incredibly stunted if it happened at all

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    New Korra and MLP episode tomorrow, yep I'd say it's the best day for tv animation in YEARS.
    One of these things is not like the other

Both are fantastic shows so they are like each other.

Pffffffffffffft

MLP is like TF animated if animated had any sort of animation budget or character development

Haaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

• Options
    UrscaUrsca Registered User regular
    Theoretically I don't think firearms are a massive stretch.
    I mean, they still have normal melee-weapon wielding infantrymen in avatar, and those guys are even more fucked than potential musketeers in a world with benders.
    If anything the way to take one of those guys down is do it by surprise, and ranged weapons are pretty good at that.

I always wondered why earthbenders couldn't bend the rocks thrown by those fire nation catapults.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Squall wrote: »
    is it time to flood this thread with ponified avatar characters

Those EXIST?!

Oh right, the internet. Of course those exist.

I'm really considering the Amazon Season Pass so I can keep up with Korra. Anyone have prior experience with Amazon Instant? Because they didn't get episode 2 up until Wednesday this week, and I'm hoping that's just a one-time fluke.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    New Korra and MLP episode tomorrow, yep I'd say it's the best day for tv animation in YEARS.
    One of these things is not like the other

Both are fantastic shows so they are like each other.

Pffffffffffffft

MLP is like TF animated if animated had any sort of animation budget or character development

Haaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

Everypony is entitled to their opinion, antimatter

Also I have never watched either show

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Because it's important for the plot of The Last Airbender to have the earth kingdom be weaker than fire. If earth were competent then they wouldn't have their assess being handed to them by a smaller and less populous country. I mean, all of these "they could totally have that" things are well and good but thematically none of them make any sense.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Ursca wrote: »
    I always wondered why earthbenders couldn't bend the rocks thrown by those fire nation catapults.

I'm thinking it's because they're airborne.

Everything earthbenders bend is on the ground or touching something that has contact with the feet of the bender. It's just like how you never see Toph metal-bend remotely, it's all things she has direct physical contact with.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    The Great Divide wasn't as bad as the tattoo episode of Lost

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Aang definitely used earthbending to smack away rocks that were coming at him at one point, I think Toph didn't just because she couldn't see them. The stuff being launched in catapults (at least by the fire nation) may not have been completely rock, just a big blob of fuel or dirt or something. Also it was always on fire maybe that had something to do with it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Ursca wrote: »

I'm thinking it's because they're airborne.

Everything earthbenders bend is on the ground or touching something that has contact with the feet of the bender. It's just like how you never see Toph metal-bend remotely, it's all things she has direct physical contact with.

this is the correct response
    Enc wrote: »
    Because it's important for the plot of The Last Airbender to have the earth kingdom be weaker than fire. If earth were competent then they wouldn't have their assess being handed to them by a smaller and less populous country. I mean, all of these "they could totally have that" things are well and good but thematically none of them make any sense.

this is the buzzkill response

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    there are definitely a few times when earthbenders are just moving rocks around in the air without directly touching them

they probably CAN stop the flaming rocks in theory, but they're coming at them so fast that it's difficult to the point of being impractical most of the time

besides they don't even use those catapaults against the earth kingdom all that often

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Also there are lots of in-show reasons for the earth kingdom to be losing the conflict with the fire nation

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    there are definitely a few times when earthbenders are just moving rocks around in the air without directly touching them

they probably CAN stop the flaming rocks in theory, but they're coming at them so fast that it's difficult to the point of being impractical most of the time

besides they don't even use those catapaults against the earth kingdom all that often

Come to think of it, the only time we see the fire nation and earth kingdom in direct conflict, it's when Azula's trying to knock down the wall with her enormous drill- and yeah there's no catapults being used there.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

Come to think of it, the only time we see the fire nation and earth kingdom in direct conflict, it's when Azula's trying to knock down the wall with her enormous drill- and yeah there's no catapults being used there.

the only time I could think of the catapults showing up in season two was when they were trying to fly to Omashu before giving up and going through the cave of two lovers

• Options

But I think those still started on the ground before they went airborne.

As for Aang doing things, he's the Avatar. He's the loose cannon of bending.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well of course they can move rocks in the air, half the moves they do are two parters. Step one, launch rock or coin shape object into the air. Step two, launch rock forward.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options

...wouldn't EVERY rock start on the ground before it went airborne.

• Options
    Kor wrote: »
    Well of course they can move rocks in the air, half the moves they do are two parters. Step one, launch rock or coin shape object into the air. Step two, launch rock forward.

but they never just LAUNCH that rock forward

it's always with a kick or a punch

with some part of them contacting the rock before firing it

the only time I can recall seeing this not be the case is when Aang goes avatar state in the finale

but I could be wrong

• Options
    T4CT wrote: »

the only time I can recall seeing this not be the case is when Aang goes avatar state in the finale

but I could be wrong

First thing that comes to mind to for me is the earthbending prison in season 1

at the end haru has three lumps of coal that he's twirling in the air by wiggling his fingers

• Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    Iroh tried catapults and shit during his siege of Ba Sing Se.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options

...wouldn't EVERY rock start on the ground before it went airborne.

Only when the earthbender initiates the move while the rock is on the ground.

Catapulted flaming rocks weren't bent into the air, so the earthbender's first contact with it is when it is not on the ground.

But I'm just fan-theorying here.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options

but I could be wrong

at the end haru has three lumps of coal that he's twirling in the air by wiggling his fingers

i don't really want to be this guy but does this ever really happen at any other point in the show

• Options

but I could be wrong

i don't really want to be this guy but does this ever really happen at any other point in the show

well i'm not going to go watch every episode with an eye out for that so I guess you're just going to have to be content with the fact that it happens at least once and we don't see anything that suggests that that's a plothole

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Bumi floated a rock above aang

• Options
    edited April 2012
    all of which is different from catching a rock that has been thrown at you by a catapult

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Started on the ground when Bumi bent it.

So did Haru's coal.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    The Dai Li throw rocks and then pull them back via their finger things after they are thrown while in midair.

Like all the time.

• Options

So did Haru's coal.

it started on metal ground

which can't be bent

and I still don't understand why you think it has to "start on the ground" in the first place

they're earthbenders

they bend earth

why can't that earth be bent in mid-air

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    The only guns that should be in Avatar are these:

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options

perfect

ok I was incorrect

in this case i would say that catapults are the best weapons for earthbenders to use but they're their own catapults I guess so

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    all of which is different from catching a rock that has been thrown at you by a catapult

not just because it's fast, but because it's not your rock

it's easier to bend without contact when you're already controlling its movement

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

So did Haru's coal.

Maybe he didn't bend them into the air. Maybe he picked them up first. We never see it.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options

So did Haru's coal.

Maybe he didn't bend them into the air. Maybe he picked them up first. We never see it.

this is the dumbest discussion I've participated in in recent memory

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    toph bends her bracelet by floating it between her hands

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I have to imagine that momentum comes into play at least a little bit when trying to direct a massive chunk of rock. Then again, it's just a show, I should really just relax.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    this is the worst

poo
  • Options
    also you guys are forgetting those catapults aren't ever shown to be used against the earth kingdom

they're used at the siege of the north pole

but not at ba sing se

• Options
    UrscaUrsca Registered User regular
    I figure the earthbenders can only really affect the momentum of the rock when it's fairly close to them.
    A good earthbender could probably 'catch' the rock and slow it to a halt in the last few seconds, but your average bender would be toast.

• Options
    more likely a good earthbender would just throw something at the catapulted rock, or make a big earth shield or something, as we see earthbenders do against other projectiles dozens of times

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    you block one end and leave the other end open and you put some rocks or shit in there

gun

honorary engineering degree is henceforth conferred

iwantanswers3.png
This discussion has been closed.