As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ah did naht hit her! Ah did naht! Oh, hai [Chat]!

19293959798

Posts

  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So are the hardcore gun people coming to the defense of that one guy?

  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    At my last job, timesheets represented about 10-15% of my daily workload, just due to the level of detail my boss demanded.

    Of course, it was impossible to do this within the allotted time, so you had to make a choice: put in unpaid overtime (illegally) to get it done, or just don't get it done and get yelled at.

    We are being "capacity planned" right now.

    This means that you have to use the world's creakiest macro-based excel sheet to keep track of everything you're doing at any given moment.

    It is so poorly put together that it slows anyone's rate of work to a crawl (in a whole variety of ways), and doesn't account for the fact that you may be doing more than one thing at once, which means we have been told not to do more than one thing at once, even though we would usually and what is supposedly being measured is the average duration of typical tasks.

    It is not clear how the data this thing produces is supposed to relate to the actual rates at which people are able to perform the tasks in question.

    that is a terrible way to conduct a study

    they should instead simply have researchers directly observing you

    fuck gendered marketing
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    @Evil Multifarious: Grappa can be really tough. It doesn't play nice in cocktails, it just kinda overpowers it. To me, the most prominent note in a grappa is pistachio nuttiness. Add to the fact that there's a pepper in there, well, that could be tough. Maybe some lemon juice and maraschino liqueur?

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    : (

    <3

    Most of you are doing a heck of a lot better than I did in my first game.

    too bad it's also my last game

    fuck gendered marketing
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Silly Elldren, that costs money.
    It's much cheaper to pile processes on top of other processes.

  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    So are the hardcore gun people coming to the defense of that one guy?

    hardcore gun people?

    that one guy?

    could you make this more cryptic? Perhaps throw in an italicised them?

    fuck gendered marketing
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    At my last job, timesheets represented about 10-15% of my daily workload, just due to the level of detail my boss demanded.

    Of course, it was impossible to do this within the allotted time, so you had to make a choice: put in unpaid overtime (illegally) to get it done, or just don't get it done and get yelled at.

    We are being "capacity planned" right now.

    This means that you have to use the world's creakiest macro-based excel sheet to keep track of everything you're doing at any given moment.

    It is so poorly put together that it slows anyone's rate of work to a crawl (in a whole variety of ways), and doesn't account for the fact that you may be doing more than one thing at once, which means we have been told not to do more than one thing at once, even though we would usually and what is supposedly being measured is the average duration of typical tasks.

    It is not clear how the data this thing produces is supposed to relate to the actual rates at which people are able to perform the tasks in question.

    that is a terrible way to conduct a study

    they should instead simply have researchers directly observing you

    That is how they did before the advent of the rickety spreadsheet of computer paralysis.

    Honestly having someone sit there with a clipboard and a stopwatch ranks as one of the most disturbingly stressful experiences of my life. The lady was perfectly nice, I just don't think there's a non-freaky way for that to happen.

  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Whooo Hoo, i finally got to March!

  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Finished Mass Effect 3, what a great game!

    Go buy - you people who do not yet own it.

    PSN: Honkalot
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Whiskey is the best liquid.
    Silly putty is the best non-newtonian fluid.

  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Fuck it, no more red OVERDUE pay period boxes. Ill do this shit tomorrow.

    29.5 hours of OT.
    Jesus.

  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    what's your favourite whiskey sarks

  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    At my last job, timesheets represented about 10-15% of my daily workload, just due to the level of detail my boss demanded.

    Of course, it was impossible to do this within the allotted time, so you had to make a choice: put in unpaid overtime (illegally) to get it done, or just don't get it done and get yelled at.

    We are being "capacity planned" right now.

    This means that you have to use the world's creakiest macro-based excel sheet to keep track of everything you're doing at any given moment.

    It is so poorly put together that it slows anyone's rate of work to a crawl (in a whole variety of ways), and doesn't account for the fact that you may be doing more than one thing at once, which means we have been told not to do more than one thing at once, even though we would usually and what is supposedly being measured is the average duration of typical tasks.

    It is not clear how the data this thing produces is supposed to relate to the actual rates at which people are able to perform the tasks in question.

    that is a terrible way to conduct a study

    they should instead simply have researchers directly observing you

    That is how they did before the advent of the rickety spreadsheet of computer paralysis.

    Honestly having someone sit there with a clipboard and a stopwatch ranks as one of the most disturbingly stressful experiences of my life. The lady was perfectly nice, I just don't think there's a non-freaky way for that to happen.

    You do not have to have a person present with a clipboard and a stopwatch to collect that sort of data. Honestly, assuming you are working on a computer network they can simply gather the necessary metrics directly. It's not even hard.

    fuck gendered marketing
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    damn Elldren you on fire today

  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    big ol white hair on my pillow

    hooray!

    fuck gendered marketing
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Fuck Dead Island!

    I tossed my best weapon at a goon in a sewer and then 4 Infected showed up and killed me. No problem, I'll respawn and collect it ... but I can't find it in the ankle deep water. And the Infected infinitely spawn. FUCK INFINITE SPAWNS! I died five times trying to get my weapon back and I still didn't find it.

  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote:
    big ol white hair on my pillow

    hooray!

    I've been graying since my mid 20s.

    Of course, my hair thinned like mad so I just shaved it all off anyway.

  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Man, I want to have expensive bourbon toooooooooooo! :cry:
    than i would gladly drink with you if you came to canada
    Would you come to a better part of Canada to drink with me?

    Because there's no reason for me to ever go to Ottawa. :bz

  • Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Registered User regular
    So my death threat expired and the guy did nothing.

    Lame.

    yGxvf.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Fuck Dead Island!

    I tossed my best weapon at a goon in a sewer and then 4 Infected showed up and killed me. No problem, I'll respawn and collect it ... but I can't find it in the ankle deep water. And the Infected infinitely spawn. FUCK INFINITE SPAWNS! I died five times trying to get my weapon back and I still didn't find it.

    you will never find it

    it despawned as soon as you died

    yep

    yep

    fuck gendered marketing
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Fuck Dead Island!

    I tossed my best weapon at a goon in a sewer and then 4 Infected showed up and killed me. No problem, I'll respawn and collect it ... but I can't find it in the ankle deep water. And the Infected infinitely spawn. FUCK INFINITE SPAWNS! I died five times trying to get my weapon back and I still didn't find it.

    you will never find it

    it despawned as soon as you died

    yep

    yep

    FUCK COCK SHIT! It was a fully upgraded orange one with an electric mod on it!!!!

    Not to mention the $7k I lost from dying.

  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    what's your favourite whiskey sarks

    I dunno, I've only had a few. Redemption rye was really good, though. Spicy but drinkable. Sazerac was another rye I enjoyed. Woodford was a good bourbon. Maker's Mark is good when I'm going out; most bars stock it.

  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    At my last job, timesheets represented about 10-15% of my daily workload, just due to the level of detail my boss demanded.

    Of course, it was impossible to do this within the allotted time, so you had to make a choice: put in unpaid overtime (illegally) to get it done, or just don't get it done and get yelled at.

    We are being "capacity planned" right now.

    This means that you have to use the world's creakiest macro-based excel sheet to keep track of everything you're doing at any given moment.

    It is so poorly put together that it slows anyone's rate of work to a crawl (in a whole variety of ways), and doesn't account for the fact that you may be doing more than one thing at once, which means we have been told not to do more than one thing at once, even though we would usually and what is supposedly being measured is the average duration of typical tasks.

    It is not clear how the data this thing produces is supposed to relate to the actual rates at which people are able to perform the tasks in question.

    that is a terrible way to conduct a study

    they should instead simply have researchers directly observing you

    That is how they did before the advent of the rickety spreadsheet of computer paralysis.

    Honestly having someone sit there with a clipboard and a stopwatch ranks as one of the most disturbingly stressful experiences of my life. The lady was perfectly nice, I just don't think there's a non-freaky way for that to happen.

    You do not have to have a person present with a clipboard and a stopwatch to collect that sort of data. Honestly, assuming you are working on a computer network they can simply gather the necessary metrics directly. It's not even hard.

    That only works if everything you want to measure is done on the computer.

    Part of the problem is determining what the task in question actually is, which is not always obvious until mid-way through the task. With the clipboard-and-stopwatch lady a lot of time was actually spent explaining what it is you're doing at a given time.

    The rickety spreadsheet works along the lines that you tell it when you begin a task, when you finish it, when you are interrupted, etc. When completing the task you also need to categorise it and reference the case or cases involved.

  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    oh my god my internet is finally back

    rRwz9.gif
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I've been playing with the new dev branch build of MegaMek the last couple nights.

    Played 4 games of battletech against the AI (light recon lance, medium recon lance, heavy battle line lance, assault lance). All mechs with 3050 era inner sphere tech.

    It's pretty interesting how things actually work out as opposed to how good they look on paper. That 3050 Awesome for example looks kind of dumb on paper because despite having the most heat sinks of any mech of comparable size it seems like it still doesn't have enough. But on the table (or megamek) it was kicking ass and taking names.

    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    That only works if everything you want to measure is done on the computer.

    you mean it isn't?

    stone age, man

    fuck gendered marketing
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    kind of strange article

    http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=321767

    about korea, not starcraft (although it's a starcraft website yes)

    plastic surgery etc.

    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    oh my god my internet is finally back

    you :bz

    fuck gendered marketing
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Guessing that storm blew in hard, eh?

    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    dear @elldren and @jacobkosh

    finish your paragons characters

    reminders, like beatings, will continue until morale improves

  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I've been playing with the new dev branch build of MegaMek the last couple nights.

    Played 4 games of battletech against the AI (light recon lance, medium recon lance, heavy battle line lance, assault lance). All mechs with 3050 era inner sphere tech.

    It's pretty interesting how things actually work out as opposed to how good they look on paper. That 3050 Awesome for example looks kind of dumb on paper because despite having the most heat sinks of any mech of comparable size it seems like it still doesn't have enough. But on the table (or megamek) it was kicking ass and taking names.

    Yeah, a lot of seemingly elegant designs actually fail under board situations.

    fuck gendered marketing
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Cross posting from the film thread because it is really weirding me out.
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    jogo1.jpg

    So, two new stills have been posted of Joseph Gordon Levitt in Rian Johnson's Looper.

    They will probably surprise you.

    http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/looper-joseph-gordon-levitt-image.jpg

    http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/joseph-gordon-levitt-looper-movie-image.jpg

    TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    blargh

    this is the worst my depression has been for a long time, i spent most of last night crying hysterically until my mom gave me some ativan

    but aaron came back tonight so we might go out and get starbucks or something

  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    also, Elldren, what I meant by "derided" is that people think it's really weird that I decided "I want to enjoy hard liquor" and drank something I didn't really enjoy, or only found a hint of enjoyment in, and forced myself to continue drinking it every once in a while to get acclimated and find the flavours that lie behind (and that are wafted through the mouth by) the alcohol.

    they feel like it's forced or artificial or fake, and wonder whether my enjoyment is a pretense or genuine.

  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    TS I think he's just grimacing haha

    or his face melted in some weird way

    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    That only works if everything you want to measure is done on the computer.

    you mean it isn't?

    stone age, man

    The wonderful world of an industry where the workload primarily consists of arguing about stuff.

    Plus things like Bingham and Berrymans are (weirdly enough) still vastly cheaper in dead tree format than as part of any online access deal.

  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Variable wrote: »
    TS I think he's just grimacing haha

    or his face melted in some weird way
    No, he's wearing prosthetics on his face to make himself look more like Bruce Willis. (Who plays the older version of himself)

    but it is certainly bizarre to look at

    TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    I've been playing with the new dev branch build of MegaMek the last couple nights.

    Played 4 games of battletech against the AI (light recon lance, medium recon lance, heavy battle line lance, assault lance). All mechs with 3050 era inner sphere tech.

    It's pretty interesting how things actually work out as opposed to how good they look on paper. That 3050 Awesome for example looks kind of dumb on paper because despite having the most heat sinks of any mech of comparable size it seems like it still doesn't have enough. But on the table (or megamek) it was kicking ass and taking names.

    Yeah, a lot of seemingly elegant designs actually fail under board situations.

    indeed.

    the other one that did very well was the 3050 Zeus. Seems a bit undergunned for an assult mech but decent speed (for an assult mech) and excellent cooling made up for that.

    And my beloved Hatchetman and Axeman never do quite as well as I hope. Though the Axeman is such a massive threat that I think it pulled a lot of fire off the rest of the lance which then pounded the enemy apart (3050 archer with Artemis enhanced LRMs packs a punch)

    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    TS I think he's just grimacing haha

    or his face melted in some weird way
    No, he's wearing prosthetics on his face to make himself look more like Bruce Willis. (Who plays the older version of himself)

    but it is certainly bizarre to look at

    oh that's awesome I had no idea. thanks!

    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    what's your favourite whiskey sarks

    I dunno, I've only had a few. Redemption rye was really good, though. Spicy but drinkable. Sazerac was another rye I enjoyed. Woodford was a good bourbon. Maker's Mark is good when I'm going out; most bars stock it.

    have you tried any of the nicer Jim Beam bourbons (Booker's, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Baker's, etc), or any Van Winkle (preferably Lot B 12 year)? Maker's Mark is like, the baseline for acceptable middle-shelf whiskey, I find. Also it's perfect for mixing when you don't want to emphasize the flavour of the whiskey, like for a sour or something.

This discussion has been closed.