As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strength.Training.Guile. [Mass Effect].The Special Tasks Group needs you.USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    gonna assume you gotta unlock them

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Guess it's time for hoard mode!

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    unsurprisingly, this is actually making me pretty mad

except for the maps and weapons and batarians

they can stay

Ok, I'll bite. What is bad about this? I see nothing but awesome as far as the eye can see.

up until now they have presented multiplayer like it was taking place within any singleplayer playthrough, it was just another front in the war against the reapers and didn't overlap with shepard's stuff in any way

but by actually introducing geth, they are saying "okay real shepard made this choice, so we can have geth in the multiplayer"

Who

Cares

The dlc makes me happy but it's basically saying that geth allies are canon

Which

Understandably

Could make someone feel a choice they made didn't matter

• Options
    bioware is so mean

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    there are people acting like bioware decided to release this for free to please angry fans and get into their good graces

i just

brain dead

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    getting mad about awesome things is the best

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    Just got a Black Widow I and GPS III in a super spectre pack.

This day keeps getting better.

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    on one hand i want to save my creds to buy up a bunch of packs when the dlc drops

on the other, super spectre packs are too good to pass up

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    don't you know awesome things only happen for awful reasons?

free DLC, preorder cancelled

• Options
    Atari SoulAtari Soul Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Know what's sad? I've got a GPS IX and I've only used it once. Where are my Carnifex upgrades? Should I just roll Krogan Sentinel and melt faces with the GPS?

Atari Soul on
  • Options
    It makes a lot of sense to release this content for free, given that you need an online pass to access it

It's no different than all the Cerberus Network stuff

People are dumb

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    I have yet to buy a fancy spectre pack

been buying vet packs

want them phalanx upgrades

• Options
    They can keep multiplayer relevant, which will keep sales up, and they can make money off the single player dlc.

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    KROGUARD!

IS IT TUESDAY YET??

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    biggitiobiggitio Registered User regular
    I do not see how anyone could be upset about more free multiplayer content.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

It's not free DLC. Not in the usual sense. Most of the new content is gated behind the ccg roulette system. Meaning at the very least, it is costing you time thereby increasing your chances of buying credits instead of earning them. Just because it doesn't cost money doesn't mean it's not costing you something else.

It's the standard F2P revenue model. So don't appropriate a level of awesome to something because you think it's a gesture of goodwill. It's designed that way because it doesn't work otherwise.

Obviously, the content of the DLC is superb and ticks all the boxes that anyone could imagine. But to see the way the entire internet saw 'Krogan Vanguard' and went into hype overdrive is a little slimy. Because it's a complete manipulation of the system against you.

Look at what people have literally just said in this thread. They want to save credits for the new DLC stuff when it lands, but Premium Spectre packs are too good to pass up. You don't think that was done by design to constantly, endlessly provide you with incentives to keep playing. The moment one little perk ceases to be attractive, a new thing will be released that will pull the same strings as usual. Perpetually keeping people playing the game because it's a F2P business model.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

they can stay

Ok, I'll bite. What is bad about this? I see nothing but awesome as far as the eye can see.

up until now they have presented multiplayer like it was taking place within any singleplayer playthrough, it was just another front in the war against the reapers and didn't overlap with shepard's stuff in any way

but by actually introducing geth, they are saying "okay real shepard made this choice, so we can have geth in the multiplayer"

Who

Cares

The dlc makes me happy but it's basically saying that geth allies are canon

Which

Understandably

Could make someone feel a choice they made didn't matter

I can see why that would make someone mad

on the other hand

AHAHAhahahaaaaaa

• Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    I wonder, does new maps mean new single player N7 missions as well?

• Options
    That's also true. It's a good system.

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    Hahahahahahaha yes.

Geth mp characters.

Suck it, Dich.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    oh wait this is multiplayer only?

preorder postcancelled

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Atari Soul wrote: »
    Know what's sad? I've got a GPS IX and I've only used it once. Where are my Carnifex upgrades? Should I just roll Krogan Sentinel and melt faces with the GPS?

The gps is probably the best shotgun right now, so yeah

• Options
    And it's only as slimy as literally any business practice

Yeah, they want you to play their game so they're offering incentives. Not a big shocker.

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Also Krogan vanguard.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Scarab, the way you are writing your posts as if you are about to blow our minds with truth is getting slightly obnoxious.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »

It's not free DLC. Not in the usual sense. Most of the new content is gated behind the ccg roulette system. Meaning at the very least, it is costing you time thereby increasing your chances of buying credits instead of earning them. Just because it doesn't cost money doesn't mean it's not costing you something else.

It's the standard F2P revenue model. So don't appropriate a level of awesome to something because you think it's a gesture of goodwill. It's designed that way because it doesn't work otherwise.

Obviously, the content of the DLC is superb and ticks all the boxes that anyone could imagine. But to see the way the entire internet saw 'Krogan Vanguard' and went into hype overdrive is a little slimy. Because it's a complete manipulation of the system against you.

Look at what people have literally just said in this thread. They want to save credits for the new DLC stuff when it lands, but Premium Spectre packs are too good to pass up. You don't think that was done by design to constantly, endlessly provide you with incentives to keep playing. The moment one little perk ceases to be attractive, a new thing will be released that will pull the same strings as usual. Perpetually keeping people playing the game because it's a F2P business model.

this is a rather cynical way to look at something fun

• Options
    Scarab, the way you are writing your posts as if you are about to blow our minds with truth is getting slightly obnoxious.
    Mocking dich though, that never gets old

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    KROGAN CHARGING

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Has Bioware turned into capcom

Where even awesome things will be met with the stupidest internet bullshit

To be fair though capcom has sort of earned their reputation

xmassig2.gif
  • Options

Scarab is the opposite of fun, Stilts.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    look at the colors of the guys at 00:16 in the trailer

• Options
    biggitiobiggitio Registered User regular
    There are many things in this world that deserve negativity.

I do not believe this is one of them.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Pointed this out in G&T already, but:

At 0:16 you'll notice that the characters are wearing green, red, and blue uniforms, respectively.

I'm gonna take this as a bit of good-humored ribbing, a wink and a nod.

All will be well.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Undoubtedly. However I think it's particularly slimy in this case because they seem to have taken the coolest and most sought after class/race combinations and saved them for post-launch DLC in this manner. If you had asked anyone before the game came out, what class/race combo would you most like to play, Krogan Vanguard or Geth Infiltrator would have been pretty high. In fact, I think they literally did just that on the BSN like a year ago when the Co-op mode was first announced.

Also, the way in which the content is gated is I think a subtle but important move. Because what they're doing there is ransoming new content for your patience. You can get it for free, if you wait.

Obviously, it's no more of less slimy than any other F2P system. I mean, it's fucking free so there really is no cause for complaint. But I would have paid to have it all upfront. My time is worth more to me than my money, in cases like this.

• Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    look at the colors of the guys at 00:16 in the trailer

God damn

• Options
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Undoubtedly. However I think it's particularly slimy in this case because they seem to have taken the coolest and most sought after class/race combinations and saved them for post-launch DLC in this manner. If you had asked anyone before the game came out, what class/race combo would you most like to play, Krogan Vanguard or Geth Infiltrator would have been pretty high. In fact, I think they literally did just that on the BSN like a year ago when the Co-op mode was first announced.

Also, the way in which the content is gated is I think a subtle but important move. Because what they're doing there is ransoming new content for your patience. You can get it for free, if you wait.

Obviously, it's no more of less slimy than any other F2P system. I mean, it's fucking free so there really is no cause for complaint. But I would have paid to have it all upfront. My time is worth more to me than my money, in cases like this.
    Yeah but who gives a shit.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    oooooooooor maybe the geth aren't really considered a basic race like the others are, and krogan vanguard seems like it needs some very careful balancing

there are ways to see this that aren't "evil time-stealing corporations"

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    oooooooooor maybe the geth aren't really considered a basic race like the others are, and krogan vanguard seems like it needs some very careful balancing

there are ways to see this that aren't "evil time-stealing corporations"

but those ways are boring

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular

they can stay

"After receiving Legion's reports of reaper activity, a splinter group of Geth forces chose to forego the reaper upgrades & the Battle for Rannoch. Instead they pledged themselves independently to the Alliance war effort"

There. Lore problem solved.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I have never spent money on a F2P game.

I am absolutely going to do it for the ME multi.

IKknkhU.gif
This discussion has been closed.