Options

the Dao of "games journalism"

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    man who even notices those things

every single multiplatform game gets a shocking reveal about how the xbox is better

and then they show two screenshots that maybe if you look really hard you can pretend you see it

like a magic eye, but so that people can feel superior about something that doesn't matter in the slightest

If you got the right eye a change in framerate can be a big deal for some people

On most games it doesn't bother me but sometimes it can just ruin the game

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Oh shit. Apparently Air Buccaneers is a thing again.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    Framerate drops are

SUPER annoying.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    I got every system for that exact reason.

Sure, my Wii is a paperweight most of the time, but every so often a Mario Galaxy or Xenoblade comes out and I can totally play that.

Ditto for this whole thing. Only thing I'm missing is the Vita. As soon as an Assassin's Creed hits, I'll probably have that as well.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    BugBoy wrote: »
    man who even notices those things

every single multiplatform game gets a shocking reveal about how the xbox is better

and then they show two screenshots that maybe if you look really hard you can pretend you see it

like a magic eye, but so that people can feel superior about something that doesn't matter in the slightest

If you got the right eye a change in framerate can be a big deal for some people

On most games it doesn't bother me but sometimes it can just ruin the game

i only have a left eye

• Options
    Anti, as a robot you're really missing out by not getting a whole buncha extra eyes just for the hell of it

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    What, you think optics just grow on trees?

In this economy!

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    well, thanks to the tree i genetically engineered, yes. yes they do.

• Options
    not taking any of your technorganic crap

• Options
    who said anythign about techno? it's just a walnut tree that grows human eyes instead of walnuts.

like my maple tree that screams.

• Options
    i'm a robot and i'm not taking your viscous water cameras

• Options
    Oi, i'm a pirate and i'm going to throw rocks in your bed.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

You wouldn't Dare!

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Mono-eyes are all you need.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    what is all this

NONSENSE

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I would play more games on the PS3 if I didn't hate the shit out of the controller

I honestly bought more games for the 360 simply because I find playing on the 360 controller to be more comfortable

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    bad or inconsistent framerates are the worst

solid 60fps is the best, I will play a game sub-SD if I can get 60fps

one time I saw a 120fps monitor and now I am spoiled for life

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    who said anythign about techno? it's just a walnut tree that grows human eyes instead of walnuts.

like my maple tree that screams.

This is a good post

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

I thought the human eye couldn't even detect fps increases past a certain point

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    yeah, but the number quoted is never the same and ranged between like 90 and 200.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    so this past week has led me to finally finishing my old Bayonetta save

man

what a freakin' game

you know what I would be totally cool with? if they're gonna reboot DMC then fine, go all the way with it, a fullscale re-imagining of Dante and his world... if they keep the old established world, and use it to do a crossover game with Bayonetta. Just, combine these two into one glorious universe, let these two characters and their respective cast members meet and have wild adventures with each other. That would be rad.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    also Luka is so adorable, seriously one of my favorite sidekicks in any game

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular

You wouldn't Dare!
    :^:

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

Pretty cool. Liked your article and liked this one.

And I was delighted to see Kharma mentioned, as a wrestling fan who is so fucking tired of the WWE "Divas".

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »

I can definitely tell the difference between 60 and 120

some people claim to not even notice the difference between 30 and 60 so I guess it depends on your eyes?

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Also maybe you meant 120 Hz monitor instead of 120 fps

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    I am loving this blood curse game lemme tell ya

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    siren? i always wondered if the full game was better or at least more even than the PSN demo

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »

I can definitely tell the difference between 60 and 120

some people claim to not even notice the difference between 30 and 60 so I guess it depends on your eyes?

I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. It's subtle, but it's there.

Can't notice anything higher, though.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    I would think anyone could notice the difference between 30 and 60

just play a call of duty or burnout game

see how everything moves so smoothly

then play something like mass effect, and the frames are a lot more noticable

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    siren? i always wondered if the full game was better or at least more even than the PSN demo

the controls are still wonky at times

but the plain sense of dread and confusion and unease from the second you start never lets up and that's what makes it work. you panic, and the shit controls punish you.

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Some people can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps? damn.

I mean, I can tell the difference between 60 and 70 fps, but that might be just from training my eyes and knowing what the actual # is when it looks a certain way (thanks to playing WoW with a fps counter on all the time).

• Options
    edited April 2012
    some people claim to not even notice the difference between 30 and 60

This is largely true; most people can't track more than 24 fps, so going much higher than 30 is superfluous. The idea is that you can notice the difference between 30 and 60, sure, but at that point it's more about the fluidity of frame transition than it is about any details you can actually discern. 30 is going to look just fine and stutter-free to most people; 60 potentially looks smoother and quicker, but you won't spot more detail from having additional frames.

THINGS I LEARNED FROM DISNEY WORLD

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Sixty frames also gives you more room-- if a game running at 60 frames stutters a bit, it looks a lot better than that a game running at 30 frames stuttering

• Options
    yeah I like to think of 60 fps more as "buffer" before I begin to notice stutter (i.e., it can drop 36 frames before I notice as opposed to just 6) rather than anything particularly noticeable

I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually work that way, but it's how I make sense of it in my brain

• Options
    i can often tell when 60 drops to 50. it's not huge but something seems off.

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    I think most games also do the reverse painters method of producing graphics, so 30 and 60 look really similar if you focus on your character model or HUD, but you will not a huge difference in the environment and distanced objects

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    yeah the biggest thing i notice with 60fps is that there seems to be way more depth to the picture, or something. Hard to describe but it definitely looks better

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Depends on your eyes some, but 60 is pretty noticeable compared to 50 for me. 85 versus 60 is also noticeable.

I don't have a 120hz display so I can't say if I can pick up the difference there but i'm thinking yes.

The other thing about framerate is there's response time hits as your FPS drops. If you're at a constant 30FPS and every frame is drawn in the same time as every other frame(not entirely true but lets say for this example it is) then each frame takes 33.3 milliseconds to be rendered. That means you don't see it until 33 milliseconds after whatever was going on in the game. At 60FPS the draw time is down to 16.66 milliseconds, so you've cut the delay, which makes it feel more responsive even if your eyes can't track faster framerates.

This isn't a massive deal for all games or for all people, but if you're into playing twitch games where timing is a big deal it's a pretty big thing to cut that time delay down. It's also why dropping framerates is so extra annoying for me, because it tends to just slow down all your reactions a bit which has a big impact on the "feel" of some stuff.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
This discussion has been closed.