As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the Dao of "games journalism"

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Really though, if the 360 controller had a d pad which wasn't a war crime it'd be the perfect controller. I just like the joystick layout much better. The dualshock 3 is a good controller but L2 and R2 are a joke and their joysticks are just a bit too tall.

new one has a better dpad

everyone says this but I got my 360 last august. wasn't that after they changed it? if so, then I really don't want to try out the old dpad because the new one is terrible too.

you can only get the improved dpad if you buy it separately i think

and really it's better but it's still not great

ah, lame

really I blame nintendo because of their patent on the original and best dpad design

that is to say, their patent on the plus sign

god I hate patents sometimes

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    dammit

i cancelled my plastic bugman

i'll order him later this week

got the wired 360 coming this week and then i can play dead space and stuff

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga is the best value, but I think Lego Harry Potter is a better use of the whole Lego thing.

But it's best if you know the source material well. I mean, it's not like you NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE PLOT but the jokes are better if you know what they're playing around with

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga is the best value, but I think Lego Harry Potter is a better use of the whole Lego thing.

But it's best if you know the source material well. I mean, it's not like you NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE PLOT but the jokes are better if you know what they're playing around with

I understand the source material for all the Lego games, so that's not really an issue for me.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    well I'd probably suggest whichever one you stumble across that's on sale at best buy or something, unless it's indiana jones or pirates

you can't really go wrong (but I'd suggest harry potter)

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed it a lot

I wish they'd do a thing like this with mass effect

smaller scale episodic things would be real cool in that universe

good opinion

• Options
    T4CT wrote: »
    I enjoyed it a lot

I wish they'd do a thing like this with mass effect

smaller scale episodic things would be real cool in that universe

good opinion

And small, episodic Mass Effect adventure game is something I would be totally down for.

Also, I'm glad to see that Telltale is back in top form after that Jurassic Park game.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    No can you play walking dead or is it quick time event city? Kinda getting tired of the latter. Unless its Asuras Wrath. Add asura to ultimate mvc3. Like Galactus starts crying when he sees him

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    No can you play walking dead or is it quick time event city? Kinda getting tired of the latter. Unless its Asuras Wrath. Add asura to ultimate mvc3. Like Galactus starts crying when he sees him

it's an adventure game, so most of it is solving puzzles and dialogue trees, but yeah the action bits are qte's

you should still try the demo though I think it's pretty good

and yeah the first thing I thought about Asura is why is this guy not in a fighting game

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    You walk and move around in Walking Dead but there appear to be plenty of quick time events. The only episode out right now is just 5 bucks though so you could pick it up and see if you're into the gameplay or not without an absurd amount of loss.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    For anybody considering getting the walking dead game, there's this:

http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead/walkingeverything

sorely tempted, even though I own season one of sam and max

• Options
    Wow, that's a hell of a deal. Shame the Monkey Island games aren't on there though.

• Options
    I own all of sam and max and strongbad and the walking dead on 360 and I'm still tempted

I need to pick up BTTF sometime at the very least

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    For the record, the season pass for Walking dead is 25 bucks, so

• Options
    How are the telltale games with a controller anyway? Traditional point and click adventure game interfaces frustrate me sometimes, always wondered how the controller versions were.

• Options
    How about Sam & Max?

• Options
    the walking dead is fine with a controller, especially for the QTE bits

it also includes a mode that highlights interactive objects as you go near them so you don't have to try and pixel hunt

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    How about Sam & Max?

I only ever played the wii version of season one

it was fine, but of course it had what was basically mouse control

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    by the way the harry potter game for the game boy color was actually quite good

Was that the turn-based rpg?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    a good harry potter game should basically be Persona 4 but with magic instead of an occult tv land

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    Someone please play Rayman Origins and join the committee for "Rayman Origins Is like The Best Game Since Ever".

No one seems to have even tried this game and yet it is so ridiculously good! (This is not an opinion this is the cold hard truth.)

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I never finished Rayman Origins

But now you have the music that plays when you get one of the big Lum Kings in your head

Now it's the Treasure Chase music

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    ah, lame

really I blame nintendo because of their patent on the original and best dpad design

But Sega had the best d pad.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    wasn't the wolverine game also supposed to be pretty decent

The last wolverine game was like your dumb hot ex girlfriend.

You know it's not special, it's dumb and predictable, but it just entertains you on some really base level.

I finished it twice.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    wasn't the wolverine game also supposed to be pretty decent

The last wolverine game was like your dumb hot ex girlfriend.

You know it's not special, it's dumb and predictable, but it just entertains you on some really base level.

that is also a pretty apt description for The Force Unleashed

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Most of the video games based on movies aren't exectly direct conversions though, they're just set in the same universe or timeperiod or whatever but with their own storyline. That means they actually have a chance of not being terrible.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nah.

That was the girl you pick up at the club.

You start off with, yeah, woo!

Then you end up home, and she doesn't quite look like what you remember.

Then her top comes off, and the boobs are, different.

You are constantly dissatisfied with the force unleashed. You are actively trying to have fun with that game.

The force unleashed is the girl you pick up at the club, and bang anyway, because fuck it she's at your house.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Whereas with wolverine, you ign, say you shouldn't be doing this, then you leap across the level, impale a guy, decapitate the next, leap and claw drill some other schmuck then spin your arms around like a tornado.

• Options
    and then slowly weep at what you have become?

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Really though, if the 360 controller had a d pad which wasn't a war crime it'd be the perfect controller. I just like the joystick layout much better. The dualshock 3 is a good controller but L2 and R2 are a joke and their joysticks are just a bit too tall.

new one has a better dpad

everyone says this but I got my 360 last august. wasn't that after they changed it? if so, then I really don't want to try out the old dpad because the new one is terrible too.

you can only get the improved dpad if you buy it separately i think

and really it's better but it's still not great

ah, lame

Microsoft should have made their dpad based off an X.
    The perfect Q*bert controller

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Your high school girlfriend is ocarina of time.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Nah.

That was the girl you pick up at the club.

You start off with, yeah, woo!

Then you end up home, and she doesn't quite look like what you remember.

Then her top comes off, and the boobs are, different.

You are constantly dissatisfied with the force unleashed. You are actively trying to have fun with that game.

The force unleashed is the girl you pick up at the club, and bang anyway, because fuck it she's at your house.

actually yeah this is a really good analogy

TFU2 is this girl if she has power diarrhea

• Options
    Majora's mask is when you see your high school girlfriend again and find that her younger sister got hot.

• Options
    What is Arkham City, Blake?

• Options
    TFU2 is what happens when you become an alcoholic and you just go, fuck it. You'll do.

• Options
    Arkham City.

First you describe asylum.

Asylum is like your really good friend. You know what they do, they know what you do.

Arkham city, is like their younger sister. Different, some upgrades. You get to have sex with them. But at the end of the relationship, you think about it and go, that makes no sense. And now you can't go back to asylum.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    but

city was better than asylum

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Blake is like a sex analogy

Weird and alien to me

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    but

city was better than asylum

I actually enjoyed Asylum more than City.

Which is not to say that City wasn't great, because it was.

I just think the more Metroid-esque level design of Asylum suited that style of gameplay more than City's open world.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    city's 'open world' wasn't that open anyway. it was close, but when i couldn't divebomb off wonder tower and over the city... i was sad

This discussion has been closed.