As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb: Ryan Davis is a pretty classy guy.

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    if you do get a wii and have any interest in dbz at all, pick up one of the budokai tenkaichi games

they should be hells of cheap by now

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    I want to get a Wii, and I probably will, but the only games I want are ones without motion control. To clarify, it's not that I have anything against motion controls, but I have yet to see a game I'd want to use them in except for maybe Resident Evil 4 as a light gun, and even then, I think I'd rather play it with a classic.

Patrick sings the praises of Skyward Sword's motion controls, but I can't imagine it being that fun if the enemies are all "Oh, look where my hand is. I'm taking my time so you can swipe your controller in the right direction."

Yeah it's not like that at all.

It's "pay fucking attention to what I'm doing so you can spot my openings and take advantage of them or else I'm gonna fucking kill you".

Skyward Sword is legit hard. Not just for a Zelda game. It's a difficult video game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Do you have friends Ronnie? Do you care if they stay your friends? If no, then get Dokapon Kingdom.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    also the first two or three hours are apparently boring as shit

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    if you do get a wii and have any interest in dbz at all, pick up one of the budokai tenkaichi games

the first budokai game for PS2 was the best
    i spent hours getting the cyber-freiza capsule

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular

all the original budokai games are rad

the tenkaichi/raging blast games are alright, and burst limit was okay, but budokai 3 is probably the pinnacle of dbz games right now

YUP

• Options

all the original budokai games are rad

the tenkaichi/raging blast games are alright, and burst limit was okay, but budokai 3 is probably the pinnacle of dbz games right now

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    well, at least console games

supersonic warriors for the gba and the sequel for ds are pretty fantastic

this has been Kuribo's Shoe, DBZ Expert

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Of Skyward? Eh, I thought they were okay. The first few fights kinda hold your hand to make sure you get used to the controls, which is necessary. And of course there's a lengthy narrative intro that sets up the world but I thought it was far more bearable than the much longer, much more boring Twilight Princess intro. For one thing, Zelda is a character that's actually has a personality this time around.

The first dungeon boss is the one that takes the kid gloves off, though. If by then you're not perfectly comfortable with swordfighting, he's going to murder you. From that point on you know the game isn't fucking around.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I hate motion controls in general.

But I totally enjoyed doing the Kame-whatever motion. You could even hold it to charge it!

• Options
    How do you feel about Super Dragonball Z, Shoe? Cause I can't hate any game where Krillin is top-tier.

• Options
    Radius wrote: »
    How do you feel about Super Dragonball Z, Shoe? Cause I can't hate any game where Krillin is top-tier.

that game is really weird

I haven't played much of it, honestly

I bought it when it came out but back then I didn't care so much about fighting games as I did wailing on buttons til health bars ran out so I didn't like it much

I like the idea of a dbz fighter trying to be a more legit fighting game experience, I'll have to buy it again at some point

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    krillin? top tier? it must not have buu in it... or freiza...
    or piccolo's brother

• Options
    edited April 2012
    It's like 3 bucks if you find it in the gamestop ps2 bin. And you get to collect the dragonballs to make wishes to unlock the extras!

Radius on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Not nearly as bad as Twilight Princess'

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Compared to Twilight Princess it's a godsend, but it's still longer than it needs to be.
    Could have benefited from being quicker or starting you with the sword or something. At least there is no fishing.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    fishing is my favorite part of every non-fishing game

especially harvest moon

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Meanwhile on SA...

Some Guy wrote:
    Some guy I know hates giant bomb because apparently years ago the GB staff spammed a rival gaming site with goatsee and other shock images because they were jealous of something. Is this true or bullshit?

I _wish_ this was true.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    agoaj wrote: »
    Compared to Twilight Princess it's a godsend, but it's still longer than it needs to be.
    Could have benefited from being quicker or starting you with the sword or something. At least there is no fishing.

They give you the sword almost right off the bat. You get it before the flight tutorial. There's just a handful of conversations before the sword. Really people (Giant Bomb) made a huge deal of how "slow to start" that game is but I don't see it. It's positively brisk compared to just about any other Japanese game.

I mean that's a site that once had a Persona 4 Endurance Run. A game where you press X for about two hours before you get to do anything else.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I managed to get to the actual game in Persona 4 in about 1.5 hours of heavy mashing through the text and skipping cutscenes ('cause I'd already seen it all)

but yeah, for them it was about the 3 hour mark when they finally got to play

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    For one I actually like games that let you soak in their universe for a while before they make you start saving it. They leave a much stronger impression (though TP was way over the top there, that one just took forever).

Like that little tour you take at the start of Half-Life 2, I love that shit. Gives me a reason to care about what I'm doing when I do get to the action.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »

They give you the sword almost right off the bat. You get it before the flight tutorial. There's just a handful of conversations before the sword. Really people (Giant Bomb) made a huge deal of how "slow to start" that game is but I don't see it. It's positively brisk compared to just about any other Japanese game.

I mean that's a site that once had a Persona 4 Endurance Run. A game where you press X for about two hours before you get to do anything else.

to be fair they complained a lot about it there too

I mean the whole reason they called it the Endurance Run was because they didn't know how much of the game they were gonna be able to take

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    What I love is that, in retrospect, protracted plot conversations and cinematics are the best part of the Persona games.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    For one I actually like games that let you soak in their universe for a while before they make you start saving it. They leave a much stronger impression (though TP was way over the top there, that one just took forever).

Like that little tour you take at the start of Half-Life 2, I love that shit. Gives me a reason to care about what I'm doing when I do get to the action.

HL2's was interesting because it introduced you to the world, set up the characters, etc in a novel way

Zelda's is boring as shit because I know how to fucking Z target godammit

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    or piccolo's brother

I mean his Destro Disc (yes thats its real name I don't care) could in theory cut anyone in half

• Options
    Skyward's intro was a lot more yo here's these guys in the sky and here's what their deal is also check out this crazy new controller than Z targeting.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    or piccolo's brother

I mean his Destro Disc (yes thats its real name I don't care) could in theory cut anyone in half

ahem excuse me the proper name of Kururin's special move is the Kienzan *pushes up glasses*

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I am now distancing myself from this conversation

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    or piccolo's brother

ahem excuse me the proper name of Kururin's special move is the Kienzan *pushes up glasses*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTYB0wtgNLQ

• Options
    Do you mean Destructo Disk, Bucketman? Cause I've never heard it referred to as that fake name you just put up there.

• Options
    kienzan

or

die

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    My old roommate is starting to rave over the Han Solo video from Kinect Star Wars and I can not convince him it is a bad game

It looks hilarious. Sorry, bro.

• Options
    yeah I would totally get Kinect Star Wars just for the dancing.

• Options
    Well thank god you have no money and don't get to buy anything ever.

You're part of the problem.

sig.gif
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    kienzan

or

die
    D-d-d-d-die

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Skyward's intro was a lot more yo here's these guys in the sky and here's what their deal is also check out this crazy new controller than Z targeting.

I've liked pretty much every other Zelda game's intro more than Skyward's.

Yes, even Twilight Princess, which I feel is a more enjoyable game overall than SS.

Skyward's bosses were okay, but weren't particularly memorable (save for a couple that were really fun); the only area that grabbed my attention and made me go, "Okay, this is pretty neat," was the desert area (the forest was fairly tedious and the volcano didn't make much of an impression at all); and despite putting more emphasis on the story, the only aspect of it that was actually better than in previous games was Zelda.

So, yeah.

I did not enjoy SS very much.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    it's time to d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-duel

sig.gif
  • Options
    Well thank god you have no money and don't get to buy anything ever.

You're part of the problem.

I have money. I just don't have a 360 and therefore a kinect would be a pointless purchase

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Twilight Princess is a solid 8.8

• Options
    Adus wrote: »
    Twilight Princess is a solid 8.8

RAGE

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.