As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb: Ryan Davis is a pretty classy guy.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I used to think that when I am watching a video it just stayed buffered. I do not know why it wouldn't.

But every once in a while (all the time) I missed something or just want to go back a couple seconds and it has to re buffer the whole thing

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I've never actually used YouTube on Giant Bomb, subscribers got to keep using the old player, which I preferred

When they announced the move to YouTube they flat-out said it was to save money

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Yeah I know right. I sorta wish codecs just downloaded the whole video and kept it until I was done watching them. I'm sure there's a technical reason why they can't do that but it sucks.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    The old player was functional but just had a lot of problems if you ever wanted to do anything with a video except watch it linearly start to finish.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think Trials Evo is my GOTY at the moment, though honestly it's been a pretty strong year already. Journey is really good as an experience, however it's one that I finished once and never wanted to go through a second time. That actually speaks more of its strength than it does as a flaw.

Trials Evo is like Super Meat Boy on a bike, and SMB was easily my favorite game of 2010. But AC3 and (hopefully, if it can live up to all the hype) BioShock Infinite will be strong contenders.

I still haven't finished ME3 and haven't played it in two weeks, so I think that's definitely off my list!

EDIT: Fuck, and I forgot that Lollipop Chainsaw, Borderlands 2 and Darksiders II are all this year as well.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    I think I have to finally accept that Assassin's Creed games just aren't particularly fun for me and move on. AC3 looks shit hot from a setting and story perspective but if it's just the same old gameplay I just dunno.

• Options
    I love Suda51 and James Gunn

lollipop chainsaw looks like garbage

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Yeah Xenoblade is my GOTY so far, keeping in mind it's only May. Got more Brad bucks of fun out of it than any other game so far.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Mr. G wrote: »

Well, all Suda 51 games look like garbage, because they are

Unless you mean from a stylistic standpoint

It can't have worse gameplay than No More Heroes, so

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    The only 2012 game I've bought is ME3 so I guess it is winning by default, and I don't see myself picking anything up until the Civ 5 expansion in June.

I'll look for some of the big fall stuff on Amazon's Black Friday sales, but other than that I'll probably wait for price drops.

• Options
    Oh shit! Max Payne 3 is out like next week!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    But this looks like shit in video game form, is what he is saying

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Oh yeah

Max Payne 3

I pre-ordered that and kinda forgot about it

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Well, all Suda 51 games look like garbage, because they are

Unless you mean from a stylistic standpoint

It can't have worse gameplay than No More Heroes, so

No, no you're wrong. The bike in NMH1 was garbage, and the gameplay in Killer7 was... garbage kinda, but it's so weird that it's hard to even qualitatively qualify it. The sword fighting in both NMH games was aces fun, and the minigames in NMH2 were almost even better.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I didn't play 2, but the swordplay in NMH1 was so mind-numbingly simple and dull. Not an engaging combat system at all

I only worked through that game to see the craziness through to the end, which is pretty much the thing to do with Suda 51 games

• Options
    I played Killer7 for about 20 minutes at about 1 AM, stone cold sober, and then turned it off

I had strange dreams for several days

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Well we certainly agree on that last part. The swordplay in NMH2 was marginally better (you had essentially 4 different styles of sword you could pick from). It was still kinda mashy but fun. Also they removed the overworld entirely in NMH2, which improved it tremendously.

The story was even more crazy, but at the same time kinda disappointing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Anyways

Darksiders II

It was going to release on my birthday, the perfect present. But then it was delayed until August.

Now according to a stand in GameStop, the new Spider-Man game hits on my birthday. I want to get excited for it but Shattered Dimensions was pretty awful and I heard even worse things about Edge of Time. This is Beenox's first open-world game though, I think.

I just want something on the level of Spider-Man 2 or USM again

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    For the 2011 goty they reeeeeallly over praised sr3 if you ask me. That game was funny sure but mechanics wise it didnt do anything interesting

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    For the 2011 goty they reeeeeallly over praised sr3 if you ask me. That game was funny sure but mechanics wise it didnt do anything interesting

Good thing the list isn't "most interesting mechanics of 2011", then.

a5ehren on
  • Options

nope

• Options
    I disagree! Technically the mechanics weren't original or anything, but they were extremely interesting in how fun it was to play at basically all times.

• Options
    I disagree! Technically the mechanics weren't original or anything, but they were extremely interesting in how fun it was to play at basically all times.

Yeah that too.

• Options
    SR3 was essentially Giant Bomb: The Game, so it's unsurprising that they gave it so much praise.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I really wish I owned that game instead of just renting it for like a month solid. Getting the hankering to replay it now. Steam sale. Gotta wait for the steam sale.

• Options
    I own it

Think I might play it again

Man, that game was fantastic

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    basically every minute I played saints row I was questioning why I wasn't playing just cause 2

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Biggest Buyer's Remorse of 2011: Saints Row 3 Season Pass

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    basically every minute I played saints row I was questioning why I wasn't playing just cause 2

I'm sorry then. Just Cause 2 is the inferior game. It's still plenty fun, but doesn't have the narrative to go along with it. It's just mindless, stupid, idiotic insane fun instead of clever and funny insane fun.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Saint's Row 3 was my favorite game of 2012 that I own

Still need to get Arkham City and Skyrim at some point. Only reason I'm holding off on purchasing either is because I know that when I do, I'll never have free time again.

• Options

Because Just Cause 2 isn't that fun

I solved your problem

Just Cause 2 has a massive, amazing world, and I'll give it that. But the fact that it takes you forever to get anywhere (either through your grappling hook/parachute combo or planes that cost waaaay too much to money to buy or are in too short supply to hijack) coupled with one of the most annoying health systems I've seen made it a bit of an unfun mess.

I'd love to play it on PC if I could, to use mods to get rid of both of those issues. But on consoles? Yeah, not so great.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Just Cause 2 had so much potential, but it just went nowhere with it. The first one was better in my opinion.

• Options
    JC2 is vastly improved on the PC, yes, mainly because you can get mods which make the money system irrelevant (it's restricting to an idiotic degree in the regular game) and gives you insane length on the grappler. Which both go huge lengths in making the game even more fun.

• Options
    JC2 is vastly improved on the PC, yes, mainly because you can get mods which make the money system irrelevant (it's restricting to an idiotic degree in the regular game) and gives you insane length on the grappler. Which both go huge lengths in making the game even more fun.

Yeah. JC2 with the grapple and vehicle mods is pretty great. I can't imagine it being much fun the way the developers intended, though. I wish more games (especially SR3 and Skyrim) had grappling hooks - that's a pretty great mechanic in an open-world setting.

• Options
    The JC2 grappling hook would be phenomenal in SR3, but also wouldn't make a ton of sense. There isn't much verticality in the game. You can go up and down with planes and such but have little reason to do so except if you want to go faster. Everything you ever need to do is at ground level or accessed at ground level.

• Options
    The JC2 grappling hook would be phenomenal in SR3, but also wouldn't make a ton of sense. There isn't much verticality in the game. You can go up and down with planes and such but have little reason to do so except if you want to go faster. Everything you ever need to do is at ground level or accessed at ground level.

Well if they had the grappling hook, they probably would have designed it a bit different. I think it would have been fun anyway :P

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I kinda hope they keep putting their videos on Youtube. I recently discovered http://www.synchtube.com/ and watching videos together with someone else on the internet is neat and convenient when automatically kept in sync.

Personally, I don't think I could realistically call anything other than Dota 2 my 2012 GOTY. It's still an invite only beta, but I've put over 400 hours into it. Assuming they'll meet expectations, I'm seeing my runner-ups as being Borderlands 2, Diablo 3 and Darksiders 2.

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Hey Alex wrote a pretty good article about Chinatown Fair, you guys should read it and talk about how it sucks because Alex wrote it

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Hey Alex wrote a pretty good article about Chinatown Fair, you guys should read it and talk about how it sucks because Alex wrote it
    his title scthick sucks as do his descriptions

of course he's able to write good articles, i haven't heard anyone say otherwise

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    So, should I play Terra next, or Diablo 3? As a sidenote, I hate people in general, and I asked for a beta to D3 from the 2 men who could give it to me and never received, so I am bitter.

This discussion has been closed.