As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games Where Anyone Can Die

Actinguy1Actinguy1 Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
Greetings, super friends!

I'm looking for videogames (PC, XBOX 360, PS3, Wii) where the survival of a lot of the characters depends on your actions and choices. Here's a couple examples of what I'm talking about:

A good example of what I'm looking for is Mass Effect 2. You spend the whole game assembling a squad and getting to know them...then the climax of the game is a suicide mission where every single character (including the protagonist) can be killed depending on your choices.

There's also a new Walking Dead game coming out this month where they say any character other than the main two characters can die.

Another example...somewhat different...could be XCOM, where any solider could die.

I also had a WWII game on the PC about a decade ago, where you had like 30 soldiers on your campaign. You chose who to take on any specific mission, and any of them could get killed.

What I'm NOT looking for: Games with a high death toll, but all the deaths are scripted (can't be avoided.) I like the games where MY choices get characters killed.

Any other games you guys can recommend? Thanks!

tl;dr: Video games where your choices get characters killed? Thanks!

Actinguy1 on

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Actinguy1 wrote:
    I also had a WWII game on the PC about a decade ago, where you had like 30 soldiers on your campaign. You chose who to take on any specific mission, and any of them could get killed.

Cannon Fodder?

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    There's Devil Survivor 1 and 2, though those are DS games. Not everybody survives the demon invasion if you screw up.

In both Jade Empire and Dragon Age: Origins, being an evil git will cause party members to turn on you, forcing you to kill them.

• Options
    Actinguy1 wrote:

Cannon Fodder?

No, but I looked it up and I'll try it out!

• Options
    There's Devil Survivor 1 and 2, though those are DS games. Not everybody survives the demon invasion if you screw up.

In both Jade Empire and Dragon Age: Origins, being an evil git will cause party members to turn on you, forcing you to kill them.

Awesome! I think I have a DS somewhere, thanks!

I'll check out Jade Empire too. I played DA:O, but everyone survived.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    There's Heavy Rain, which doesn't have any sort of game over; if you get someone killed, the story goes on without them.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Actinguy1 wrote:
    What I'm NOT looking for: Games with a high death toll, but all the deaths are scripted (can't be avoided.) I like the games where MY choices get characters killed.

Of the top of my head. F:NV lets you sacrifice your companion to cannibals. Also any game that has permadeath. Fire Emblem. Some Megami Tensei Games. Way of the Samurai 1&2 (Deletes your savegame. Great Series in terms of choice architecture in general).

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    A lot of older RPGs did this sometimes. Fairly certain you can kill pretty much anyone in Baldur's Gate. Some are choice related, or you can say, just leave someone dead after they get hit by too many fireballs or petrified by a basilisk, and you could flat out murder others. Only exceptions are characters that only appear in forced dialog scenes (as in they're not standing around to engage normally, but rather appear to talk to you then disappear). If you kill a too plot critical character they'll actually be replaced by a character named Biff the Understudy.

Fire Emblem sort of did it. Generally there were a couple characters that were immune at any time (main character and someone critical to a current mission) but the vast majority of characters in them could be killed permanently if you let them die in battle.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    In the Jagged Alliance series, like X-Com, any of your Mercs can die.

The fact that they all have their own quirks and personalities makes it hard when they go.

Once, one of my mercs who had a reputation for ratting out teammates to the higher ups told me he saw one of the team putting money in his pocket.

The next morning he was found dead.

Kelor on
  • Options
    I've played Heavy Rain (got the FBI agent killed). I'll check out the rest, thanks again!

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Everyone can die in Aliens:Infestation for the DS.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    They had this in Obscure, this old-style survival horror game set in a high school. You switched between five kids caught in it - co-op focus, so you always had at least an AI partner controlling one of them - and, in teen horror flick tradition, anybody could die. As long as at least one of them is still alive, the game keeps going.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I can't believe I forgot to mention this one:

Alpha Protocol.

Only three people (four if you count the main character) will always get out of the game alive. Everybody else can die. In fact there's even an Achievement for getting everybody killed.

• Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    Deus Ex (the original) is pretty close to that. There are some characters that can't die (about 10 total I think), and some that you can't kill until certain points in the game. But everyone else can die one way or another. On the flip side, you can spare the lives of many of your enemies as well by incapacitating them or going around them.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular

Alpha Protocol.

Only three people (four if you count the main character) will always get out of the game alive. Everybody else can die. In fact there's even an Achievement for getting everybody killed.

Oh, yes! I'll definately second this, Alpha Protocol was a great game. And it's dirt cheap too, just make sure to patch it before playing.

Fire Emblem is another one where everyone can die permenently.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Savant wrote: »
    Deus Ex (the original) is pretty close to that. There are some characters that can't die (about 10 total I think), and some that you can't kill until certain points in the game. But everyone else can die one way or another. On the flip side, you can spare the lives of many of your enemies as well by incapacitating them or going around them.

But sometimes choosing to kill them in specific ways are more satisfying!

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Both of the Dead Rising games are really big on timed, often simultaneous rescue missions, meaning that not only can your actions get characters killed, but your inactions can as well.

In addition to Jade Empire and Dragon Age: Origins, going dark-side in the original Knights of the Old Republic leads you to a lethal confrontation with a good chunk of your teammates.

• Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    Was that ww2 game 1st/3rd person perspective or overhead?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    in I Am Alive there are people around the world in peril or trapped under things. you can choose to help them but if you take too long sometimes you come back and they are dead. there are achievements for saving everyone, but like dead rising it seems time sensitive.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The Fire Emblem series has permadeath for everyone, though getting the leader killed is a game over.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Morrowind and maybe Omikron counts. The PC dies and gets transferred into a new body. Sometimes that new body doesn't have the correct privileges as the last body does.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »

Alpha Protocol.

Oh, yes! I'll definately second this, Alpha Protocol was a great game. And it's dirt cheap too, just make sure to patch it before playing.

Fire Emblem is another one where everyone can die permenently.
    I thought the patch only took out the DRM?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the end of jade empire was amazing for this

(although it's not really "anyone," just your team members.)

the fallouts are also pretty great for it

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    The original Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six(and i'm sure some afterwards) were set up so that anyone on your team could die and were gone for good.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Jagged Alliance 2.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    In planescape: torment your main character is an immortal, or rather can be killed but never stays dead. This plays heavily into the plot and sometimes it's necessary to die to accomplish something. The other characters can die to various causes including you killing them over some moral disagreements.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    The main characters' deaths usually result in a game over, but in Valkyria Chronicles, your other squadmates can die permanently. There's even an in-game graveyard for paying your respects.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    NintenNinten Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics comes to my mind. I think that one had permadeath too.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    the end of jade empire was amazing for this

(although it's not really "anyone," just your team members.)

the fallouts are also pretty great for it

Right, New Vegas is a great pick here.

There's just the kids and 2 robots you can't kill off. Everyone else can be hunted down and probably eaten.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Super Mario Bros.: If you decide to smash a brick block, you kill a Toad.

Play it right, and you'll have committed mass genocide before the Princess even knows what happened.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    Actinguy1 wrote:

Of the top of my head. F:NV lets you sacrifice your companion to cannibals. Also any game that has permadeath. Fire Emblem. Some Megami Tensei Games. Way of the Samurai 1&2 (Deletes your savegame. Great Series in terms of choice architecture in general).

Way of the Samurai is awesome, give it a try. They're probably the most 'open world' games I've played, since you can have radically different endings based on your decisions. 1&2 might be hard to find since they're only PS2 games but 3 is available on PS3/360 and 4 is coming soon on PS3.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    Ultima I -- IX, one of the few games with an entire child killing event.

• Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    Fallout 1/2 also allowed child killing.

Pickpocket, plant dynamite, watch and laugh.

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular

Way of the Samurai is awesome, give it a try. They're probably the most 'open world' games I've played, since you can have radically different endings based on your decisions. 1&2 might be hard to find since they're only PS2 games but 3 is available on PS3/360 and 4 is coming soon on PS3.

Yeah, they are great. Game starts, you walk to the town, something happens, and if you decide you you want none of what is happening? Turn around, walk out, boom, game over.

It's a "small" game but they made is so pretty much everything you do makes something different happen. Kill everyone or help them, it all changes the story.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Suikoden 1 and 2 had character death during the strategic sequences. They started scaling it back as the series progressed.

• Options
    lessthanpilessthanpi MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm guessing that WW2 game the OP mentioned was Silent Storm. I wish that was available for purchase on GOG or the like.

I'll second the Fire Emblem series.

Baldur's Gate 1/2 has this as well. Its kind of rare, but its possible to have permanent deaths if the game is set to core rules or harder.

Gladius is another underrated turn based SRPG where you can end up with permanent deaths, even main characters.

lessthanpi on
  • Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    The classic Rainbow Six games.

If a character is KIA in mission 1, he isn't coming back. There are consequences for poor planning. I believe the first three retain this mechanic.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Edd wrote: »
    The classic Rainbow Six games.

If a character is KIA in mission 1, he isn't coming back. There are consequences for poor planning. I believe the first three retain this mechanic.

Exactly. You end up running with a bunch of faceless recruits if you aren't careful.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    They had this in Obscure, this old-style survival horror game set in a high school. You switched between five kids caught in it - co-op focus, so you always had at least an AI partner controlling one of them - and, in teen horror flick tradition, anybody could die. As long as at least one of them is still alive, the game keeps going.
    Came in here to see if this was suggested. I'd stay away from the sequel, though. I'm pretty sure all the deaths in that one were scripted.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Too bad you don't have an NES because this little gem fits your needs

Friday_the_13th_NES.png

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    Fallout 1/2 also allowed child killing.

Pickpocket, plant dynamite, watch and laugh.

You know what's even better?

Empty inventory except c4, arm it and set it for a minute or whatever. Walk by street urchin and he'll pickpocket it.

boom

IIRC if you set the timer on it long enough it'll end up in the inventory of Vic, who runs the street urchins, and then blow him up