As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HULK SMASH PUNY BOX OFFICE RECORDS!

19495969798100»

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Seriously

do you not see how you are being an asshole

you just replied to 3 different people who disagreed with you by saying HEH YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING KID JEEZ, I AM SO MUCH MORE INTELLIGENT AND RIGHT THAN YOU

good god

I'm not sure why you would think I'm unaware of it.

Moreover, I tried to engage you genuinely in discourse and you didn't really answer my questions

Turnabout's fair play, and all of that.
    I did engage you! I explained why I felt that way and said that if you enjoy the film that is totally okay, I don't but everyone doesn't like the same shit. No big deal.

you're the one who insists they are so superior and smarter than everyone else in the room. The answers I gave you not being ones you liked doesn't suddenly make them not answers.

I asked what you didn't like about that fight scene, and you first just plain ol' didn't respond to it the first time around and then said something that was factually wrong. There's a bunch of action leading up to the bit with the yelling, so don't sit there and tell me it wasn't a fight scene. I understand that you weren't a fan of the way it ended, and in that respect, like I said, there's not much I can do to change your mind about that, but it certainly wasn't inconsistent with the rest of the film.

Norton's film was faster-paced and less focused on "the man" (and more on the man and his woman), but I hardly think that makes it the superior film, or even the superior Hulk film. Furthermore, Norton's love-affair was with the TV show, which was pretty neat for what it was but not what I would describe as the authoritative version of the Hulk; so I felt it didn't really dig deep enough into the character of Bruce Banner to be all that compelling. The Hulk deserves way more than just "Hulk smash", and I thought there was way too much of that in Norton's film. I thought the balance in Ang Lee's Hulk was a little off in the opposite direction, but more balanced overall.

I'm down if you want to sit here and have a real discussion, but I haven't seen a whole lot of that coming from the "Ang Lee's Hulk was shit" camp, and a fair amount of plain old false statements from you in particular, so if we're gonna do this, let's actually do it, and if not, well, then you get the sass mouth.

• Options
    Behold, the majesty of Loki's hat:

medium_loki_helmet.png

Tell me, who wouldn't bow before that.

(and yes, I know that still's from Thor, the helmet more or less the same though)

That he is able to wear that hat and still look menacing is a testament to his craft.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    I still vastly prefer Ang Lee's Hulk over the Norton one

Are you serious

Absolutely.

I think the article linked above made some good points about what was wrong with Ang Lee's Hulk, but it was way more interesting than Norton's film.

Norton's hulk was way more coherent, had way better action sequences, and had a much better leading man. Nick nolte is also horrible.

Nolte could have worked as anyone but Absorbing Man.

Like seriously even Abomination would have made more sense.

Yes, okay, I agree, the Absorbing Man was a bizarre choice for the bad guy, but they made it work pretty okay.
    No they didn't

not at all

the big fight scene is him turning into a big cloud/storm and Hulk yelling at him and fight over

that is not doing it pretty okay

Absorbing Man could be a great movie villain, dude has the potential for some really cool scenes and awesome fights

they did it about the worst way you possibly could

You should maybe consider trying to be right about some things sometime.

It feels pretty good, let me tell you.
    Yeah it is always awesome when your response to someone disagreeing with you is "HA YOU'RE WRONG I'M RIGHT FUCK YOU"

super great and not at all obnoxious

You want to sit down and go through the movies point by point and compare scenes?

Because "I didn't like the final fight scene" is pretty much as can't change your mind about this as it gets. I thought that scene was fine. Sorry you disagree. But if you legitimately want to sit down here and tell me objectively what was "wrong" with that scene other than "yelling is dumb for some reason!", you're more than welcome to give it a shot.
    I am saying it is a very shitty adaptation of the Absorbing Man, which it objectively is.

Absorbing Man is a fairly simple thug who ends up with godlike powers and does exactly what you'd expect with them. His charm is that he has the personality of a generic goon working at the docks but can give Hulk or Thor a decent fight. Which is why he would be a really fun villain if he was like, the muscle for Leader or something.

Having him be Bruce Banner's father who mutated his DNA with Starfish cells and turns into a giant cloud

that is not Absorbing Man

It's an "unfaithful" adaptation, certainly.

Calling that "bad" is a matter of opinion, and pretty much ignores what the point of the Absorbing Man in the film was, and the metaphors for "terrible father" that go hand in hand with the power of the Absorbing Man.

I also notice that you're way off point, since you just plain didn't address the thing I challenged you on, which is "final fight scene was bad". What was bad about it? That it had the Absorbing Man in it at all?

I am a staunch defender of the idea that there is n objectivity in art

and so I will simply say that I think that the Ang Lee version of Absorbing Man sucked balls

And I will pat you on the head and suggest you maybe try being right about shit for a change, and all will be right with the world.

Wow you really do have an inflated sense of self-importance, don't you

It's the internet, whaddaya gonna do.

Seems an appropriate response to the "no accounting for taste" argument in the opposite direction, anyway.

Well you see what I would do

is not be really condescending to other people about their movie opinions

Seems to be doing okay so far. Can't say I would change a thing about it yet.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    "my name is Sarukun and I was massively patronising to Blank until everyone called me out on it and then I tried to pretend to have been willing to engage in a real debate all along."

• Options
    Now I know what you are thinking

Solar, that kind of comment is needlessly dismissive and antagonistic!

but hey, man

it's the internet

it's all good

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    "my name is Sarukun and this is my favorite thread on the citadel"

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Solar, come on...

We all know your name isn't Sarukun.

It's Solar...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Are you serious

Absolutely.

I think the article linked above made some good points about what was wrong with Ang Lee's Hulk, but it was way more interesting than Norton's film.

Norton's hulk was way more coherent, had way better action sequences, and had a much better leading man. Nick nolte is also horrible.

Yes, okay, I agree, the Absorbing Man was a bizarre choice for the bad guy, but they made it work pretty okay.
    No they didn't

not at all

the big fight scene is him turning into a big cloud/storm and Hulk yelling at him and fight over

Absorbing Man could be a great movie villain, dude has the potential for some really cool scenes and awesome fights

Yeah it is always awesome when your response to someone disagreeing with you is "HA YOU'RE WRONG I'M RIGHT FUCK YOU"

You want to sit down and go through the movies point by point and compare scenes?

Because "I didn't like the final fight scene" is pretty much as can't change your mind about this as it gets. I thought that scene was fine. Sorry you disagree. But if you legitimately want to sit down here and tell me objectively what was "wrong" with that scene other than "yelling is dumb for some reason!", you're more than welcome to give it a shot.
    I am saying it is a very shitty adaptation of the Absorbing Man, which it objectively is.

Absorbing Man is a fairly simple thug who ends up with godlike powers and does exactly what you'd expect with them. His charm is that he has the personality of a generic goon working at the docks but can give Hulk or Thor a decent fight. Which is why he would be a really fun villain if he was like, the muscle for Leader or something.

Having him be Bruce Banner's father who mutated his DNA with Starfish cells and turns into a giant cloud

Calling that "bad" is a matter of opinion, and pretty much ignores what the point of the Absorbing Man in the film was, and the metaphors for "terrible father" that go hand in hand with the power of the Absorbing Man.

I also notice that you're way off point, since you just plain didn't address the thing I challenged you on, which is "final fight scene was bad". What was bad about it? That it had the Absorbing Man in it at all?

and so I will simply say that I think that the Ang Lee version of Absorbing Man sucked balls

And I will pat you on the head and suggest you maybe try being right about shit for a change, and all will be right with the world.

Seems an appropriate response to the "no accounting for taste" argument in the opposite direction, anyway.

You got a Mod's attention. That's never a good thing.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Also, I totally have a new thread ready for when this one implodes.

• Options

Are you serious

Absolutely.

No they didn't

not at all

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

• Options
    You got a Mod's attention. That's never a good thing.

Nah, sometimes its bad & sometimes its good.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Also why should anyone continue to talk to you if you're just gonna be
    an asshole

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I honestly don't remember the final fight of Ang Lee's Hulk at all so I just went to watch it on Youtube and

it isn't there

I can only imagine that for a comic book movie fight scene to be so unworthy of remembering that not one person bothered to upload it to Youtube, it was truly disappointing

Puny, even

• Options
  • Options
    "my name is Sarukun and I was massively patronising to Blank until everyone called me out on it and then I tried to pretend to have been willing to engage in a real debate all along."

You make it sound like this is the first time I've done something like this.

This is old hat for me, kid, ask anybody.

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    "my name is Sarukun and this is my favorite thread on the citadel"

That'll be three thousand dollars.

• Options

Maybe you should get a new hat.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I honestly don't remember the final fight of Ang Lee's Hulk at all so I just went to watch it on Youtube and

it isn't there

I can only imagine that for a comic book movie fight scene to be so unworthy of remembering that not one person bothered to upload it to Youtube, it was truly disappointing

Puny, even

It's okay. Absorbing man turns into some rocks. There is a lot of punching.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I didn't hate Ang Lee's Hulk.

• Options

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

This discussion has been closed.