As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HULK SMASH PUNY BOX OFFICE RECORDS!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    I'm so hyped

Who's taking bets for what the second 2014 movie is going to be?
    I vote Ant-Man. Feige made it sound like Marvel was VERY close to pulling the trigger on it.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Pulling the trigger as in killing it, or making it?

Also, remember how when the soundtrack was shown in advance, it was described as the 'hottest albulm of 2001' and the general consensus was that it was not very good? Well, the music seemed to be pretty alright in the film (even if there wasn't anything that has stuck in my mind).

Also, I hope that put Batroc into cap 2. Not as the main villain, but as a mercenary, thrillseeker. Ridiculous french accent is a must.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

Also, remember how when the soundtrack was shown in advance, it was described as the 'hottest albulm of 2001' and the general consensus was that it was not very good? Well, the music seemed to be pretty alright in the film (even if there wasn't anything that has stuck in my mind).

Also, I hope that put Batroc into cap 2. Not as the main villain, but as a mercenary, thrillseeker. Ridiculous french accent is a must.

Helmut Zemo, please. With flashbacks in WW II where Cap & the Howling Commandos taking on the first Zemo.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Best thing about Batroc, is that if he is a mercenary, or just some random thrillseeker who wants to take on cap, then it doesn't matter who the main antagonist is.

• Options
    Pulling the trigger as in officially putting it on the schedule, rather than just being a nebulous script bouncing back and forth between Marvel and Wright.

• Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Oh godddddd

this movie
    (the greatest)
    The Schawarma scene is humanity's greatest achievement

Dimosar on
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Black Widow in this.
    "Are you sure about this?"
    "uh, yeah. It'll be fun..."

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Batroc.

A whole film of Batroc.

Oh. My. God.

• Options
    Man, this movie totally lived up the hype of 5 set-up movies. I'm going to watch the blu-ray so many times it'll melt.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    My older brother didn't like this, said there "wasn't too much of a story."

My brother continues to have stupid opinions.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I really hope they bring back the Howling Commandos
    The scene in Cap 1 where the french saboteur rolls under the tank is magnificent

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    All you buggers talking about the US-only scene are getting me down.

For shame!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    CowShark on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Man

I really want a kebab now.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Looks like this made $80.5 million yesterday, and is probably gonna make $175 million for the weekend. Which...would be a new record

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Lalabox wrote: »

Well, none of the songs were actually in the film; what you were hearing was a score, which is orchestral

The songs on those "music from and inspired by" albums are almost never actually in movies like this, except maybe one that will play during the credits (in this case the Soundgarden song)

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoytE5rxAu8

Warning: Spoilers in comments

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    I'll be real disappointed if it's another four years for the Avengers 2

Real disappointed

smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It is going to be 3 at the least, 4 is looking more likely.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    This movie was so good, you guys. So good.
    Especially loved
    "That's my secret, Cap. I'm always angry."

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Apolloh wrote: »
    I'll be real disappointed if it's another four years for the Avengers 2

Real disappointed

That's how Marvel's phases work. They need to build up to each Avengers film.

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Most of the people in my theater didn't stay for the after-credits scene

A full house, and maybe 15 or so people stayed behind

All I could think was "Do you people not know how Marvel films work by now?"

Every single person stayed for the post-main-character teaser

Then they all left

And we were like "C'mon guys you KNOW there is something else"

And it was SO GOOD

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    look i get that the politics of the superhero genre can be problematic, in that it tends to associate m
    re coulson
    people don't seriously think that dude is coming back? he is dead forever

Why?
    Because dead people need to stay dead

They shouldn't fuck up superhero movies by making them like comic books in the worst ways possible.

This is silly.
    Nobody is suggesting he come back from the dead(though your claim that that's the worst thing in Comics is silly also) they are suggesting that this was a fake out. That he never really died. Or that he died but they replace Wonderman for Coulson in Visions origin story. Frankly they need to bring more heroes into this and there is no way to give most characters there own movies so turning Coulson into Vision is a clever way of upping the hero count.
    I would accept turning him into Vision, but I don't think what I said about comics is a silly claim

Death loses all impact when you know a character's going to come back

I remember when a big deal was made about them killing off Steve Rogers or Bruce Wayne. Who gives a fuck? It's comic books. They're going to come back.

neither of those characters were even killed off

we were meant to think they were killed but in fact they'd been shot with magic that caused them to be lost in time

it was weird and awesome
    anyway coulson's death loses all impact if the dude straight up comes back
    If that impact is replaced I don't see a problem. I'm quite sure there are well liked movies that make use of the old "make it look like the character dies until he reappears triumphantly in the final act" trope.

Yes hello
    Commissioner Gordon

Dark Knight spoilers NOT THAT ANYONE HASN'T SEEN IT

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoytE5rxAu8

Warning: Spoilers in comments

Going to be getting this and adding it to my game night soundtrack.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I didn't stay for the second teaser because I'd heard a lot of theaters weren't playing it and didn't want to try convincing the people I was with to stick around. I'd accidentally spoiled it from this thread anyway so.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    look i get that the politics of the superhero genre can be problematic, in that it tends to associate m
    re coulson
    people don't seriously think that dude is coming back? he is dead forever

Why?
    Because dead people need to stay dead

They shouldn't fuck up superhero movies by making them like comic books in the worst ways possible.

This is silly.
    Nobody is suggesting he come back from the dead(though your claim that that's the worst thing in Comics is silly also) they are suggesting that this was a fake out. That he never really died. Or that he died but they replace Wonderman for Coulson in Visions origin story. Frankly they need to bring more heroes into this and there is no way to give most characters there own movies so turning Coulson into Vision is a clever way of upping the hero count.
    I would accept turning him into Vision, but I don't think what I said about comics is a silly claim

Death loses all impact when you know a character's going to come back

I remember when a big deal was made about them killing off Steve Rogers or Bruce Wayne. Who gives a fuck? It's comic books. They're going to come back.

neither of those characters were even killed off

we were meant to think they were killed but in fact they'd been shot with magic that caused them to be lost in time

it was weird and awesome
    anyway coulson's death loses all impact if the dude straight up comes back
    If that impact is replaced I don't see a problem. I'm quite sure there are well liked movies that make use of the old "make it look like the character dies until he reappears triumphantly in the final act" trope.

Yes hello
    Commissioner Gordon

Dark Knight spoilers NOT THAT ANYONE HASN'T SEEN IT

I didn't buy that for a second

Mainly because he hadn't become Commissioner Gordon yet!

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Looks like this made $80.5 million yesterday, and is probably gonna make $175 million for the weekend. Which...would be a new record

called this on twitter

I WON

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Gatsby wrote: »
    My older brother didn't like this, said there "wasn't too much of a story."

My brother continues to have stupid opinions.

He's not wrong

In fact, he's pretty right

The Avengers doesn't contain much of a story itself, just really good dialogue. All of its setup is from earlier films. But if someone just jumped straight into this one (for some reason)? Yeah, I could see them looking at this as a plotless action-fest.

An awesome plotless action-fest.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i would have really liked to see
    cap nonchalantly picking up thor's hammer and chucking it to him

• Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i would have really liked to see
    cap nonchalantly picking up thor's hammer and chucking it to him

I would love to see the audience reaction to this.

• Options
    So
    Who can pick up Thor's hammer?

I'd heard in a comic that Cap did it. In the Ultimate Avengers animated movie, Hulk picks it up (so I was kinda surprised he couldn't in the film).

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So

I'd heard in a comic that Cap did it. In the Ultimate Avengers animated movie, Hulk picks it up (so I was kinda surprised he couldn't in the film).

The Avengers animated thing wasn't very good.

I mean, it had some merits, but that was not one of them.

Mjollnir is supposed to be impossible to pick up by anyone not worthy.

The only example I know of that wasn't against the rules was when Red Hulk grabbed it, because they were in space at the time. It can't be too heavy to lift in zero gravity.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    So

afaik the only canon people who have been able to wield it other than thor are captain america and beta ray bill

• Options
    So

afaik the only canon people who have been able to wield it other than thor are captain america and beta ray bill
    I think that's right, seeing as the other 80s Thor who became a spin-off character probably just counts as an iteration of Thor

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I was really hoping for
    Cap to pick it up too. Would have been a great way to show Thor he's friendly.

So I saw this last night and it was excellent! If there was a weak point, it's how they just kind of handwaved Thor being back on Earth. I agree with the criticism that his movie really should have ended with him stuck on Earth. What we got was a little awkward.

So assuming that Skull got sent to Thanos, and not a bunch of dwarves or something, could Thanos have kept him alive for seventy years somehow? Maybe Skull can be the Avengers 2 villain and we save Thanos for the third movie.

Though, after the post-credits scene, I'd be cool with Avengers 2 literally just being everyone hanging out. No epic fights, just bro time. I needed more of that.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »
    So

I think that's right, seeing as the other 80s Thor who became a spin-off character probably just counts as an iteration of Thor
    If you're talking about Thunderstrike, he had his own mace/hammer thing, that he took his name from. And an earring. The 80s!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I really don't get the SAVE THIS DUDE FOR THE THIRD MOVIE ideas

that is a movie that is, conservatively, 8 years from now

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    The story may have been relatively simple, but it's still a story!

Also, would a person with gravity powers be able to lift Mjolnir?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I really don't get the SAVE THIS DUDE FOR THE THIRD MOVIE ideas

that is a movie that is, conservatively, 8 years from now

It's not necessarily about saving anyone for later as it is
    resolving the "Skull is obviously alive in the present day somehow" plot thread.

Which would be great for a Cap movie, but if Thanos is keeping him alive, why not use him? And Thanos seems to be more of an Avengers-specific plot thread.

But I'm probably wrong!

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Edcrab wrote: »
    So

If you're talking about Thunderstrike, he had his own mace/hammer thing, that he took his name from. And an earring. The 80s!
    I looked this guy up and he does, indeed, have a little lightning bolt earring. THE 80S

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
This discussion has been closed.