As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HULK SMASH PUNY BOX OFFICE RECORDS!

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    re coulson
    people don't seriously think that dude is coming back? he is dead forever

Why?
    Because dead people need to stay dead

They shouldn't fuck up superhero movies by making them like comic books in the worst ways possible.

This is silly.
    Nobody is suggesting he come back from the dead(though your claim that that's the worst thing in Comics is silly also) they are suggesting that this was a fake out. That he never really died. Or that he died but they replace Wonderman for Coulson in Visions origin story. Frankly they need to bring more heroes into this and there is no way to give most characters there own movies so turning Coulson into Vision is a clever way of upping the hero count.
    I would accept turning him into Vision, but I don't think what I said about comics is a silly claim

Death loses all impact when you know a character's going to come back

I remember when a big deal was made about them killing off Steve Rogers or Bruce Wayne. Who gives a fuck? It's comic books. They're going to come back.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Also the intro scene and the Helicarrier bits make me really want a SHIELD movie with Widow and Hawkeye

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I keep thinking about all the one-liners, and I just smile more and more
    Legolas
    Shakespear in the park
    Adopted

It was THE best balance of light-heartedness and perfect super-hero action.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i get that the politics of the superhero genre can be problematic but come the fuck on

the dude openly admits that it was a good movie

but since it was made by evil corporations it is reducible to propaganda

something can be simultaneously art and product. capitalism isn't always bad.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Heck, most art is product.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    don't you get it guys, Captain America might as well have a giant dollar bill on his chest because he's just a tool of The Man

wake up sheeple

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I cannot get over how great Ruffalo's crazy gorillaHulk mocap performance was

Man that was mocap?

man

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    re coulson

Why?

They shouldn't fuck up superhero movies by making them like comic books in the worst ways possible.

This is silly.
    Nobody is suggesting he come back from the dead(though your claim that that's the worst thing in Comics is silly also) they are suggesting that this was a fake out. That he never really died. Or that he died but they replace Wonderman for Coulson in Visions origin story. Frankly they need to bring more heroes into this and there is no way to give most characters there own movies so turning Coulson into Vision is a clever way of upping the hero count.
    I would accept turning him into Vision, but I don't think what I said about comics is a silly claim

I remember when a big deal was made about them killing off Steve Rogers or Bruce Wayne. Who gives a fuck? It's comic books. They're going to come back.

neither of those characters were even killed off

we were meant to think they were killed but in fact they'd been shot with magic that caused them to be lost in time

it was weird and awesome
    anyway coulson's death loses all impact if the dude straight up comes back

Crimson King on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Finally saw it tonight
    I thought it was fun. Saw Thanos coming from a mile away and wished he'd actually gotten some screen time. I'm greatly saddened by Coulson's death, but everything else made up for it. Hulk punching armored space whales and then punching out Thor was priceless. Definitely needed more Marvel Heroes popping out of nowhere to defend the city. I know the big ones were taken, but c'mon Marvel; Iron Fist, Dr. Strange, Ant/Giant Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, etc. it's not you didn't have options!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Whatever happened with that Edgar Wright Ant Man movie, anyway?

• Options
    look i get that the politics of the superhero genre can be problematic, in that it tends to associate m
    re coulson

Why?

This is silly.

neither of those characters were even killed off

we were meant to think they were killed but in fact they'd been shot with magic that caused them to be lost in time

it was weird and awesome
    anyway coulson's death loses all impact if the dude straight up comes back
    If that impact is replaced I don't see a problem. I'm quite sure there are well liked movies that make use of the old "make it look like the character dies until he reappears triumphantly in the final act" trope.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Matev wrote: »
    Finally saw it tonight
    I thought it was fun. Saw Thanos coming from a mile away and wished he'd actually gotten some screen time. I'm greatly saddened by Coulson's death, but everything else made up for it. Hulk punching armored space whales and then punching out Thor was priceless. Definitely needed more Marvel Heroes popping out of nowhere to defend the city. I know the big ones were taken, but c'mon Marvel; Iron Fist, Dr. Strange, Ant/Giant Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, etc. it's not you didn't have options!

Even if you wanted to see that I see no reason it need it. Especially since it would have been distracting and confusing for people.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Finally saw it tonight

Almost all of those are set to get their own movies at some point, so

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    I cannot get over how great Ruffalo's crazy gorillaHulk mocap performance was

Man that was mocap?

man
    Yeah they made a big deal over how it was the first modern Hulk thing to actually have the actor who plays Banner also play Hulk

I think it was Ruffalo's idea, but I might be wrong

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    i get that the politics of the superhero genre can be problematic but come the fuck on

Yeah, I don't see how that argument stands up considering the movie was directed by Joss Whedon. The guy's career to date has been pretty much defined by him refusing to do something millions of people enjoy, because he preferrs to do something thousands of people obsess over. The only reason he's doing a massive blockbuster movie is because he's finally found a mega-budget way to geek out enormously and make something a million people will obsess over.

That, and he got to play with Captain America's shield.

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular

Yeah, I don't see how that argument stands up considering the movie was directed by Joss Whedon. The guy's career to date has been pretty much defined by him refusing to do something millions of people enjoy, because he preferrs to do something thousands of people obsess over. The only reason he's doing a massive blockbuster movie is because he's finally found a mega-budget way to geek out enormously and make something a million people will obsess over.

Man, what?

Most of the Whedon hate I see like this is just dumb.

• Options
    I don't think that was Whedon hate. Anyway thinking about the Cap movie and ending scene in Avengers
    They specify that the Cube is a Door. That it goes both ways to two points in the world. One is the Cube and the other is wherever Thanos is. So logically the Red Skull must have ended up with Thanos. So I have two possibilities here. I think either Thanos will send the Skull to earth to form a "Masters of Evil" for Thanos.

Or

The old Grey guy could be what happens to Red Skull when he lives over a hundred years.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    theSquid wrote: »

Man, what?

Most of the Whedon hate I see like this is just dumb.

You... you don't mean me, do you? I love Whedon! I've loved Whedon since Buffy Summers was in high school!

• Options
    It's right there in my twitter profile! Fraction and Brubaker are my heroes, Whedon is my deity!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hello new wallpaper:
    V5MtD.jpg

Blank do you have this in huge size?

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I don't think that was Whedon hate. Anyway thinking about the Cap movie and ending scene in Avengers
    They specify that the Cube is a Door. That it goes both ways to two points in the world. One is the Cube and the other is wherever Thanos is. So logically the Red Skull must have ended up with Thanos. So I have two possibilities here. I think either Thanos will send the Skull to earth to form a "Masters of Evil" for Thanos.

Or

The old Grey guy could be what happens to Red Skull when he lives over a hundred years.

Or
    Thanos is a crazy Eternal born looking all crazy and is in love with death and kills massive amounts of people so he can see her, but only if its a challenge. Or he wants to be killed by the Avengers. Or something close to his origin. Making him Red Skull would be kind of dumb

• Options
    Or
    You could read my post again because I said no such thing.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Don't take that to seriously. I meant that with a joking not actually trying to insult tone.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

Or

Or
    Thanos is a crazy Eternal born looking all crazy and is in love with death and kills massive amounts of people so he can see her, but only if its a challenge. Or he wants to be killed by the Avengers. Or something close to his origin. Making him Red Skull would be kind of dumb
    i don't think he meant thanos, i think he meant the head chitauri. which is still pretty silly

but

he's right that it would make heaps of sense if the red skull were to turn up in avengers 2

• Options

Or

Or
    i don't think he meant thanos, i think he meant the head chitauri. which is still pretty silly

but

he's right that it would make heaps of sense if the red skull were to turn up in avengers 2
    That guy doesn't really look like a Chitauri. He also strait up calls them "The Chitauri" he doesn't appear to be a part of that race.

T

Quire.jpg
  • Options

Or

Or

but

That guy doesn't really look like a Chitauri. He also strait up calls them "The Chitauri" he doesn't appear to be a part of that race.

T
    which guy are we talking about?

loki's contact dude? he of the purple prose? that guy is straight up a chitauri

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Loved the shit out of this movie, but DAMN you guys posted a lot of shit in the four days I was away. Yeesh. Up to page 31 so far. Missed a lot of great discussion too, ah well.

• Options
    We are talking about him. I will re check my theory when I see the movie again but from what I remember they don't really seem all that similar. His flesh is gray and sorta scaled while they have very thin flesh or the color of sinew. Lots of blue and red. The face appears, in my memory to be close to human while the chitauri have that lipless dog thing going on.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I hear that the hugo has said he will not be returning as the Red Skull should he appear again.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I hope Red Skull returns in Cap 2 to join in on the inevitable "Steve is so old fashioned" jokes

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I don't. The Red Skull can serve a very interesting role in the Avengers and there are several Captain Villains I wanna see.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    @nightmarenny Who else would you like to see? I can't picture a decent movie version Baron Zemo, but I have every confidence it could be done.

• Options
    they're doing a cap 2, right?

that might be really interesting. a whole film's worth of cap adapting to now.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't know, Cap has a pretty weak rogues gallery

I figure the film won't have a proper villain beyond some terrorist group, maybe the Ten Rings, and will be more about Steve adapting to the world and modern warfare

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Ultron for Avengers 2: Masters of Evil (with cherry picked villians from the past 15 years of movies) for Avengers 3.

THIS I COMMAND!

Skull can be in Avengers 3.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah kang is weak

So is baron zemo

God forbid they use red skull again either

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Batroc.

A whole film of Batroc.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Took all my restraint not to mention him

Hell, Taskmaster might work

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I enjoyed Thor

But it was missing a good half an hour or so of character development.

Thor just inexplicably changed from a jerk to a patient, understanding nice guy overnight.
    To be fair, it WAS the night where he learned his dumbass actions killed his father and have pretty much ensured he could never return home. Makes a guy rethiink his life.

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    I don't know, Cap has a pretty weak rogues gallery

I figure the film won't have a proper villain beyond some terrorist group, maybe the Ten Rings, and will be more about Steve adapting to the world and modern warfare

you know using the Ten Rings would actually be kinda cool? it's a great name and it always seemed like there was more to them than we saw

on the other hand maybe the War on Terror is a bit heavy for a comic book movie

This discussion has been closed.